NCL to allow unvaccinated children beginning March 1

BermudaBound2014

4 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Thanks. Sometimes the obvious escapes me..............😳

I am probably more paranoid than many, but I'll still be wearing a mask pretty much all the time unless I'm in the cabin or eating, out of the deck outside a crowd, etc, etc. I know masks are not totally effective, but they do offer additional protection, and some of us old farts need all the protection we can get. I am encouraged by the latest numbers on new Covid cases, etc, but I have always tended to be pretty conservative. Hopefully those who choose to not mask aren't offended by me wearing my mask.

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4
  • Like 7

Also an update on kids, officially

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/are-children-allowed-sail-your-ships-if-they-are-not-vaccinated

Are children allowed to sail on your ships if they are not vaccinated?

The safety and security of our guests, crew and communities we visit is our number one priority. In order to provide the safest cruise experience possible, all guests age five and over and crew will be required to be fully vaccinated for all sailings. In addition, as part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) Voluntary Conditional Sailing Order (CSO), we will limit the number of unvaccinated children aboard to not surpass 5% of all guests aboard.

While we welcome unvaccinated children ages four and under onboard, it is the responsibility of the guest to be aware of any local protocols and/or travel restrictions in place at the visiting destinations at the time of sailing.

6 minutes ago, MichiganBound said:

An unfortunate development to allow unvaccinated kids on board starting March 1st.  I'm glad my cruise is next week before this policy is instituted.  Looking forward to a quiet and safer cruise.

Unfortunately my cruise is later in March. I really was looking forward to it, but I am not excited about being around the un-vaxxed children under five. I was excited to have minimal children on our trip.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I am probably more paranoid than many, but I'll still be wearing a mask pretty much all the time unless I'm in the cabin or eating, out of the deck outside a crowd, etc, etc. I know masks are not totally effective, but they do offer additional protection, and some of us old farts need all the protection we can get. I am encouraged by the latest numbers on new Covid cases, etc, but I have always tended to be pretty conservative. Hopefully those who choose to not mask aren't offended by me wearing my mask.

Doug

No...I wouldn't be offended.  I just wonder "why" (unless it's a K-95 fitted properly)?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MsTabbyKats said:

No...I wouldn't be offended.  I just wonder "why" (unless it's a K-95 fitted properly)?

More likely a KN-95, which is what we use all the time unless flying, or otherwise crammed like sardines where we wear K-95s. I find the latter more difficult to put on due to the "loops". Personal choice. I know the K-95s are "better".

We are lucky for our NCL cruise and do not need to fly, but we will still have a couple of K-95s "just in case".  And of course several KN-95s! 😎

1 minute ago, PaperSniper4 said:

More likely a KN-95, which is what we use all the time unless flying, or otherwise crammed like sardines where we wear K-95s. I find the latter more difficult to put on due to the "loops". Personal choice. I know the K-95s are "better".

We are lucky for our NCL cruise and do not need to fly, but we will still have a couple of K-95s "just in case".  And of course several KN-95s! 😎

I was on the first mask required NCL cruise, and KN-95s were left in the room.  Not sure if that will continue after March 1st, but it was a nice touch.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, meglet said:

I wonder if there are some ports that won't allow children who aren't vaccinated.

Royal has been allowing kids under 12 and unvaccinated to sail. If you plan on getting off in port you have to do a ships tour. I'm sure NCL realizes with summer coming up they are losing a lot of business to Royal with the stringent vaccine policy they have in place

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

I was on the first mask required NCL cruise, and KN-95s were left in the room.  Not sure if that will continue after March 1st, but it was a nice touch.

I went back in Dec before masks were required yet a KN95 mask was provided in our stateroom.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bigrednole said:

I don't have any issue with it. It is time to stop following failure and move on from it. Heck if you get it, you only are quarantined for 2 days now. If you have no signs, you aren't even required to quarantine. Time to move along. If you are sick, stay home. If not, live your life.

Myself and a whole lot of others, who have been waiting for 2 years to get back on a ship, totally agree with you!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, njkate said:

Royal has been allowing kids under 12 and unvaccinated to sail. If you plan on getting off in port you have to do a ships tour. I'm sure NCL realizes with summer coming up they are losing a lot of business to Royal with the stringent vaccine policy they have in place

Royal has always allowed unvaxxed kids. But, they have specific Vaxxed and Unvaxxed locations on the ships. E.g., one vaxxed only dining room. Unvaxxed passengers only allowed to sit in balconies in theaters. Vaxxed only shows. Etc. 

NCL has not considered keeping some areas or activities vaxxed only 

438206A3-EA9F-4687-9DE9-B8D04EF435DE.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels

3 hours ago, Karaboudjan said:

Vaccination is not the panacea for preventing COVID that it was once hoped to be, and that seems to be even less so with each new variant.  It is now more about protecting the individual who is vaccinated and at that it is clearly very successful especially outside of some high risk groups.  Given that, it makes sense to allow unvaccinated young children since they are not at high risk to themselves and the remaining passengers are well protected since they are all vaccinated.

Also, for anyone thinking that a negative test 48 hours is proof against COVID, here is how I spent some of that 48 hours after my test:

15 minute ride to the airport with a family member.
10 minutes going through security at the airport.
60 minutes waiting in a moderately crowded terminal.
5 hours on a full plane.
2 hours waiting in a crowded terminal.
1 hour on a full plane.
30 minutes in a crowded baggage claim area.
60 minutes on a shuttle with 10 other people.
5 minutes picking up food in a packed restaurant with no masks in sight.
20 minutes in a hotel restaurant.
30 minutes in a hotel lobby with mixed mask usage.
20 minutes in an Uber getting to the pier.

I think that speaks for itself...

Every once in a while we appreciate seeing such a straight-forward, down-to-earth, updated reality post.  👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, meglet said:

I wonder if there are some ports that won't allow children who aren't vaccinated.

They can fly into those same ports, what's the difference? Time for the inconsistencies to be called out and sanity/pragmatism to return. It's long overdue.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, oteixeira said:

What if it is kids allowed as long as negative but no masks?  I really think by April 1st, unless there is an issue with a new wave, this will be where all the lines are headed.

Hopefully, well before. We need time to book! 😁

3 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Doug

I would stand up for you If I saw any behavior like this and I abhor masks. Standing on the side of freedom of choice works both ways. I don't believe anyone is trying to ban masks, simply letting each person decide for themselves. You do you, you have every right to decide for yourself. Intolerance in either direction should offend any freedom loving person.   

• Like 9

IF masks were the solution to covid, then it would be over. Since they have done nothing to prevent the spread, then it is a simple choice. If you think it masks prevent the spread, by all means wear it to your hearts content. If you think it is ridiculous and does nothing to prevent the spread, don't wear it. Simple solution for both worlds. 

Simple motto to live by: YOU do YOU. 

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

That's not what's been coming across. Most are upset because the kid occupancy will be going up 

I guess I misunderstood.  Personally, I don't care if there are kids (well, not a ship full like during the summer).....I just care about unvaccinated humans.....of any age.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hutcha said:

It comes down to the bottom line. This was the first step. They'll see a revenue increase, but not enough. Next will be matching RCL, and letting under 12 cruise unvaccinated. Then, it'll go away. Yes, vaccinated cruises are a draw for some, but the requirement is a repellent to others. Look at the percentages of those under 18 that are not vaccinated. While their parents don't have a problem getting it, they don't want to expose their children to the unknowns of it.

Yes, but bad press from sick and dying passengers is not good for the bottom line either.  Kids are low risk from COVID but too many adults are not.  This is not a no-brainer.  Also, according to NCL's update from today bookings are strong later in 2022, so why risk that by shaking things up too much?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

Yes, but bad press from sick and dying passengers is not good for the bottom line either.  Kids are low risk from COVID but too many adults are not.  This is not a no-brainer.  Also, according to NCL's update from today bookings are strong later in 2022, so why risk that by shaking things up too much?

Agree, getting rid of the mask mandate and the testing mandate will do much to improve the cruise experience and increase bookings. Kids under 5 can't get vaccinated yet and are very low risk anyway (the vast majority anyway). Pretty sure they still won't be allowed in the kids clubs either and will be with their parents for the duration of the cruise so I don't see it as a big deal. People aren't hanging out with 5,4,3 year olds no how. Not many are willing to bring their unvaccinated <5 kids on a cruise anyway, not like there will be thousands of unvaccinated kids. A couple dozen maybe. Mountain out of a molehill. This is a great start IMO and gives people confidence and hope for normal cruising.   

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

.....  Also, according to NCL's update from today bookings are strong later in 2022, so why risk that by shaking things up too much?

I'm not buying what today's press release is selling. Let us not forget ENRON lol.

It's important to look at the whole financial picture. NCL (and RCL, and CCL) initially said they would see profit in the spring of 2022. Each company has now changed the projections to be late 2022 and that is only IF they can fill ships (aka regular voyages not birth capacity). And we all know that's a big "If" considering public perception of cruising. I strongly suspect today's 'forward thinking statements' will be amended yet again.

IMO today's press release is just getting investors ready for the shi*t show coming Feb 23..

"we will report a net loss for the fourth quarter and full year ending December 31, 2021 and expect to report a net loss until we are able to resume regular voyages."

https://menafn.com/1103658393/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-Holdings-Provides-Business-Update

12 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I do believe it will eventually move in this direction.......Could be by summer in fact. 

So I've pretty much been the lone gal preaching that NCL can't survive with 100% mask mandate here on the forum since cruising resumed last summer. At that time, I said NCL would only last 6 months with 100% vaccination requirement. I was wrong. NCL lasted 8 months before changing their 100% vaccination rule. I do see the rules changing to allow unvaccinated, but not by this summer. I'm going on record predicting early 2023 if niche markets haven't evolved by then. Of course, this is just my opinion and I mean no personal disrespect.

If this thread shows us anything it's that there are people who want 100% vaccinated cruising. There are also people who want 100% masking. There are people who want no masking, and I suspect there are people who also want to cruise with no vaccine requirement . I actually predict that the largest group is composed of people who don't care about the vaccinated status of others because they are vaccinated. In other words, those folks will choose a ship based on pricing and itinerary because if just doesn't matter to them what others have chosen.

Ultimately, the market will decide which group will prevail, but in the meantime, niche markets offering these choices seems the next logical step. I'm doubling down.. Niche Markets for the win lol 🙂

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 8