Is CATS really still on Oasis?!!

We sailed on the Oasis just over two years ago. Our family are all theatre lovers,  but this was hard to watch. ALL the other entertainment was fabulous! Considering another trip next February 2023, on same ship, and wondering if there’s any way to know if it will still be showing then? 

3 minutes ago, love2decor8 said:

We sailed on the Oasis just over two years ago. Our family are all theatre lovers,  but this was hard to watch. ALL the other entertainment was fabulous! Considering another trip next February 2023, on same ship, and wondering if there’s any way to know if it will still be showing then? 

Cat's furever and ever.😇

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, love2decor8 said:

John says it will still be cats on oasis march 12 2023 .. so chances are good feb 2023 will be cats. 

Lol have you considered allure? Or harmony etc?

We attend each and every show on every cruise,  Cats is the only show we have ever walked out of (early, as in  ‘prior to intermission’ early). And we have sat thru some less than desirable shows lol. It’s the never-ending 5yr contract on this one.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, sdude said:

Hi There,

The current CATS version has gotten shortened from it's original Broadway Show. There is no intermission as well. It is much more interesting to see.

Have fun! 

100% improvement wouldn’t be enough for us to attend even if it included free drinks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, love2decor8 said:

"Two years ago" is a blink in the life of a show on a cruise ship.   Broadway shows have a five year contract, which can and almost always are renewed.  There are shows on the ships that are 25 years old.  

55 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Royal very seriously needs to update their shows on Oasis class.....they are so outdated as they are still running the same shows that Oasis class opened with back in 2009.

Agreed. It’s like that amusement park we all love to go to. You have the successful ones who add rides keep things tidy to keep things fresh and get you excited to come back. Then you have the ones that run things in the ground and try to squeeze out every penny they can as there new car smell continues west out.

Amping the ships is brilliant and gets you excited to come back. Changing out the shows would bring it to a new level of excitement for a lot of repeat cruisers.

wonder if the seas will be a prime example.

The ship needs something fresh!!

• Like 1

Just now, ticketsunlimited said:

Agreed. It’s like that amusement park we all love to go to. You have the successful ones who add rides keep things tidy to keep things fresh and get you excited to come back. Then you have the ones that run things in the ground and try to squeeze out every penny they can as there new car smell continues to run out.

Amping the ships is brilliant and gets you excited to come back. Changing out the shows would bring it to a new level of excitement for a lot of repeat cruisers.

I saw Cats years ago on Oasis and we walked out as did almost half the audience before intermission.   I've been on every other Oasis class ship, and the freedom class many of whom have broadway style shows now, and never did I see any where near the number of people walk out that I saw there.  I cannot for the life of me understand why they renewed this contract but they did.

2 hours ago, bajathree said:

Royal very seriously needs to update their shows on Oasis class.....they are so outdated as they are still running the same shows that Oasis class opened with back in 2009.

Didn’t oasis start with Hairspray?   Or was that Allure?   My recollection is Allure was Chicago and Oasis was Hairspray back when they launched.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Agreed. It’s like that amusement park we all love to go to. You have the successful ones who add rides keep things tidy to keep things fresh and get you excited to come back. Then you have the ones that run things in the ground and try to squeeze out every penny they can as there new car smell continues west out.

They have changed out the shows over the years.  Cats wasn’t the original show on oasis.  The changed it after about 5 years.  Same for Allure.  

Let’s hope it changes, both my DH & myself walked out of evening performance (shorten version). Last day of cruise when my DH was packing to go home I decided to go to afternoon showing to pass the time, stayed awhile until I could no longer take it, walked out. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

Let’s hope it changes, both my DH & myself walked out of evening performance (shorten version). Last day of cruise when my DH was packing to go home I decided to go to afternoon showing to pass the time, stayed awhile until I could no longer take it, walked out. 

To pass the time I think I'd prefer to go lie down on a bed of nails than see Cats again. 🛏️🧷

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

CAT's is gone!!! 🥳

I hear from my reliable sources that we will not be subjected to Cats on Royal Caribbean very much longer!

Plans are to replace it with Stephen King's, Carrie the Musical!  And it will be the 1988 version to boot!!!! 🪓 

Ok, a musical based on a Stephan King novel might not be everyone's cup of tea but it sure beats the runner up they were thinking about; Paul Blart: Mall Cop the Musical. 😉

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, topnole said:

Didn’t oasis start with Hairspray?   Or was that Allure?   My recollection is Allure was Chicago and Oasis was Hairspray back when they launched.  

That is correct....Oasis opened with Hairspray in Dec 2009 which they moved over to Symphony.....still same old show on an Oasis class ship....come up with some new stuff and stop recycling the old. Using the same show on an Oasis class ship for 13 years now is crazy. It's the same for the ice shows....still running the same old seriously outdated original shows. I used to say that Oasis class had the best entertainment on the seas.....not anymore.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, bajathree said:

The only shows I've ever noticed changing on a ship has been the musicals.  So while CATs may be changed, non of the other ones will be.

We've been sailing on the Adventure since 2004 (which is shortly after it was launched) and the shows are all exactly the same ones. 

So don't hold your breath.

Another poster referenced show changes occurring about every 5 years.  This is accurate.  Usually the larger Broadway-based shows are refreshed with every general maintenance drydock, which typically is scheduled every 5 years.  The sets and production support are complex, along with the entertainment cast which is also new with each show, that changing out the shows requires coordination with the dry dock time to assure an easy transition from show to show.  Not saying there aren't exceptions, but the changeovers occur during a drydock and this is the typical timing.

And to answer the original question by the OP, Cats was on Oasis this past October.  Can't say if it will be there in Feb. '23.  Depends on the next planned drydock and changeover plans with another show.

Edited by leaveitallbehind