Need Help! We just noticed our passport is expired

curlybelle2

This would be a great time to obtain extra copies of everyone's birth certificates. One set goes into a bank box. 2nd set goes into a secure filing cabinet where you keep your other important docs. 3rd set goes to each of the adult children for their use. 

• Like 1

Well what a day! We just got notified that our flight is canceled. We have been working to get another flight in time for embarkment. But not having any luck. With the winter storm in Michigan a lot of canceled flights. Any flight we find comes in after the ship sails. 

I am calling Princess in the morning to cancel cruise and book another in a few weeks. ( we have insurance) This cruise just wasn't meant to be for us! 

Hopefully I can use these few weeks to renew our son's passport. 

9 hours ago, curlybelle2 said:

Well what a day! We just got notified that our flight is canceled. We have been working to get another flight in time for embarkment. But not having any luck. With the winter storm in Michigan a lot of canceled flights. Any flight we find comes in after the ship sails. 

I am calling Princess in the morning to cancel cruise and book another in a few weeks. ( we have insurance) This cruise just wasn't meant to be for us! 

Hopefully I can use these few weeks to renew our son's passport. 

I'm SO sorry!

If the predictions are correct this would have been a good time to get out of here (but they are so often NOT correct!).

I don't know what airline you booked with but for future plans we've always found Delta to be extremely accommodating with changes, especially weather related  changes.

I'm providing this info, just an fyi, in re:  to the 6 months of a passport expiring.  Last year, I had a college buddy fly from Philadelphia  to Lima, Peru. He was denied entry, as his passport was going to expire in 4 months. He had to return home, get an expedited passport renewal ( for many $$).  He then started his journey  all over. Too bad there are no closed loops for flying! Happy cruising!

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2022 at 7:43 AM, ontheweb said:

And make sure it is an official government birth certificate, not a hospital birth certificate.

DW's mother once cleaned things out and sent DW the hospital certificate while throwing out the real one. We discovered that when she applied for a passport. Luckily, we had enough time for her to get a duplicate from where she was born and still apply and receive the passport in time.

I never had a birth certificate.I only had a letter on hospital stationery stating that Mrs………gave birth to a male child on …. ..  ….

When I was planning to leave the US in 1969 for a vacation I had to apply for a government issued birth certificate.

To lighten things, my mom's passport woe back in 1994.

She was going on a business trip to Japan, leaving on Saturday.

She went to pack her passport and realized it had expired.  There were only two passport offices open on Sunday, New York and Los Angeles.  She lives in Northern California.  So she took a red eye to NY, got a passport on Sunday morning, and flew home, then to Japan.

At the time, my oldest niece was about 1 year old.  

My sisters (now ex) husband commented that she'd do anything to see the baby.

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never had a birth certificate.I only had a letter on hospital stationery stating that Mrs………gave birth to a male child on …. ..  ….

When I was planning to leave the US in 1969 for a vacation I had to apply for a government issued birth certificate.

Did they just accept the letter on the hospital stationary, or did you have to provide something else?

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Did they just accept the letter on the hospital stationary, or did you have to provide something else?

They accepted the letter.The interesting thing is that it was not even notarized.The hospital no longer existed in 1969.I guess I was lucky.

I still have the letter.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

They accepted the letter.The interesting thing is that it was not even notarized.The hospital no longer existed in 1969.I guess I was lucky.

I still have the letter.

I'm guessing that you not only had your 🤞, but your toes crossed too. I'm wondering if that letter would have worked in the post 9/11 world.  

On 2/17/2022 at 7:23 AM, CruiserBruce said:

But the average person doesn't know that.

Do you REALLY think that the "average person" could not figure that a "closed loop" cruise has to mean that it completes a loop  --- ie starts and finishes at the same spot ?

What kind of people do you hang around with?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I'm guessing that you not only had your 🤞, but your toes crossed too. I'm wondering if that letter would have worked in the post 9/11 world.  

I doubt very much .Although my wife and I were at JFK in Feb.2002 flying to New Orleans.There was zero security at the Jet Blue check in.I said to one of their reps that my public library had greater security.