Sydney hotel

Mrs f.

Yes....I know Australia  is still closed but am using  my downtime to research and gather information. 

We will be flying  into Sydney  a week before  our cruise (hopefully) in December.  Anyone  familiar  with either  of the 2 Hilton  hotels?   One is on Sussex Street. The other on George  Street. 

Thanks.

I would ask this on the Sydney trip advisor forum.  Poster KVE is the Sydney hotel expert and will give you appropriate feedback.  Sydney opens up to fully vaxxed international tourist air arrivals on 21st of this month.  Hopefully cruising returns in some form by December.

Edited by aussielozzie18

3 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I would ask this on the Sydney trip advisor forum.  Poster KVE is the Sydney hotel expert and will give you appropriate feedback.  Sydney opens up to air arrivals on 21st of this month.  Hopefully cruising returns in some form by December.

How do I get to that? Type in Sydney  trip Advisor  forum?  Didn't  know  there was one. Thanks

2 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Yes....I know Australia  is still closed but am using  my downtime to research and gather information. 

We will be flying  into Sydney  a week before  our cruise (hopefully) in December.  Anyone  familiar  with either  of the 2 Hilton  hotels?   One is on Sussex Street. The other on George  Street. 

Thanks.

Any reason you pick those ? I suppose for a loyalty scheme.

The one on Sussex would be my pick (Only just) but the CBD Hilton has better transport.Plus probably a view.

But I wouldn’t stay in either for a week.

19 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Any reason you pick those ? I suppose for a loyalty scheme.

The one on Sussex would be my pick (Only just) but the CBD Hilton has better transport.Plus probably a view.

But I wouldn’t stay in either for a week.

We have loads of points with hilton

3 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

We have loads of points with hilton

One is the business area and is a big high rise ,a typical Hilton .

The other is smaller on the edge of Barangaroo ,a new tourist area.

I would definitely go with the Hilton on George in the CBD.

The main reason is Transport ,there’s a underground train station ( I believe there’s a connecting tunnel) and a street car (light rail)out the front door.
Even though the area isn’t touristy you can be anywhere in Sydney in no time flat.The airport is on a direct train ride also circular quay.

It has a club lounge with a fantastic view,I’m sure you could access it .

Theres supermarket steps away .

16 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I like the sUssex street one,  but George street is a more central location for someone relying on Public transport or walking.

I agree ,for a couple of nights , I would prefer the Barangaroo or the Sussex street one.

But for a week they would be crawling up the walls.

The combination of good transport and their high Hilton points ,they can hit the tracks and come back to the club lounge evernight.

Last time on a cruise HAL's Noordam - Syd to Honolulu. Stayed one night precruise at Marriott down near the Quay. Just a roll down the hill, 200M to terminal. Great hotel. But went to City Extra at the Quay for dinner and brekkie, these 5 star Sydney hotels whilst you may get a deal on room, they charge top dollar for meals, like $50 a head for brekkie and $50 a plate for dinner.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Last time on a cruise HAL's Noordam - Syd to Honolulu. Stayed one night precruise at Marriott down near the Quay. Just a roll down the hill, 200M to terminal. Great hotel. But went to City Extra at the Quay for dinner and brekkie, these 5 star Sydney hotels whilst you may get a deal on room, they charge top dollar for meals, like $50 a head for brekkie and $50 a plate for dinner.

And on top of those prices you have to pay extra for an espresso-based coffee, otherwise you get American-style brewed muck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Just like you get on a cruise ship.😄😱

Yes, but you expect that on cruise ships since most of them are American corporation owned. These days 5 star hotels in Australia should not be charging extra for espresso-based coffees when you've paid a fixed rate for breakfast.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, NSWP said:

...... went to City Extra at the Quay for dinner and brekkie, these 5 star Sydney hotels whilst you may get a deal on room, they charge top dollar for meals, like $50 a head for brekkie and $50 a plate for dinner.

City Extra is good value & a great location - I've also had a few lunches there when in the city for meetings etc. Wonder how they have coped with the pandemic?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mr walker said:

City Extra is good value & a great location - I've also had a few lunches there when in the city for meetings etc. Wonder how they have coped with the pandemic?

There was an article on the news the other night, talking to the owner, no idea if he was talking things down (it was about govt bail outs) but he didn’t make their future sound too promising.

22 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

There was an article on the news the other night, talking to the owner, no idea if he was talking things down (it was about govt bail outs) but he didn’t make their future sound too promising.

Well City Extra is a big establishment, their rent would be horrendous.  They rely not only on the workforce in the city but also on tourists, domestic and international.  Being 24/7 operation wage bills would be extreme. Would be sad to see it go.  The Victorian mixed grill was my favourite there. 

Mixed-Grill-b-300x288.jpg.dcf3c63ea8e97220a7930a8a76298568.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

The last time I was in Australia was more than 7 years before, and I miss this continent a lot. It’s so unusual, and I have not seen that special nature anywhere.
That time I stayed in several 5 star hotels gold coast, and the service was just excellent. I didn’t go on a cruise because I consider it the worst type of traveling. You don’t even travel but just stay on the ship all the time, eat, play and exercise. I would even say it’s much worse than regular tourism and even more consumerist.
But it’s only me and everyone is allowed to have their own opinion.

Edited by PippaScott
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, PippaScott said:

The last time I was in Australia was more than 7 years before, and I miss this continent a lot. It’s so unusual, and I have not seen that special nature anywhere.
That time I stayed in several 5 star hotels gold coast, and the service was just excellent. I didn’t go on a cruise because I consider it the worst type of traveling. You don’t even travel but just stay on the ship all the time, eat, play and exercise. I would even say it’s much worse than regular tourism and even more consumerist.
But it’s only me and everyone is allowed to have their own opinion.

Lol. You do realise this is a cruise forum?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4