Earliest Flight out of MIA

Julma

Well back in the old days pre-pandemic, we routinely booked flights out of MIA and FLL around 11:00 with no issues.  Nowadays as the airlines are still struggling to get back to normal and with the ever changing protocols, etc., I don't know if those times would work.  So I guess I would look at early afternoon flights.  Also depends quite a bit on what the airlines' schedules are offering.

And to @garyl62, I realize this is a difficult question with likely no absolute right answer and a lot of differing advice, but it is a legitimate question nonetheless.  I'd like to see the responses based on others' experience as well - might be helpful.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

25 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Well back in the old days pre-pandemic, we routinely booked flights out of MIA and FLL around 11:00 with no issues.  Nowadays as the airlines are still struggling to get back to normal and with the ever changing protocols, etc., I don't know if those times would work.  So I guess I would look at early afternoon flights.  Also depends quite a bit on what the airlines' schedules are offering.

And to @garyl62, I realize this is a difficult question with likely no absolute right answer and a lot of differing advice, but it is a legitimate question nonetheless.  I'd like to see the responses based on others' experience as well - might be helpful.

I agree 100%.  Things have changed a lot in the past few years.  I usually fly out of FLL, but MIA flights were better.  I booked an 11:40 flight.  I have Clear, so I should be fine.  Thank you.

Go with what  the cruise line recommends and add extra.

What time does your ship dock?

Variables..are you in a suite with early off or  doung regular walk off?

Taking a taxi, uber or shuttle or pvt car?

Day of the week?...traffic can vary...

How many ships coming into port? Where is your ship in the queue?

Your risk/ stress tolerance levels!

We are in a suite.  Flying domestic.  Have Clear and Global Entry.  Flying 1st class.  We are checking bags. Taking a taxi.  It's a Thursday.  Ship docks at 7.  There are 4 ships also docking that day.

18 hours ago, Julma said:

We are in a suite.  Flying domestic.  Have Clear and Global Entry.  Flying 1st class.  We are checking bags. Taking a taxi.  It's a Thursday.  Ship docks at 7.  There are 4 ships also docking that day.

You should find a recent or upcoming sailing with your same itinerary to determine when you are expected to be off the ship.  For FLL ships can arrive earlier than 6am at times but they won't let off self carry any earlier than 730am (usually 745am).  I was told that was due to when the terminal staff starts their shift.

Stress can be avoided if you have a backup flight already picked out.  While I had a backup flight, I've made 845-ish flight out of FLL, I self carried, the cruise terminal utilizes facial recognition, took a taxi, have airline status and have clear.

Edited by NutsAboutGolf