Assigned specialty restaurants

rsail203

We each have $29 OBC  for specialty restaurants. My Travel Agent tells me that there is no choice to be had for the day, time, or choice of restaurant. They will be assigned when we get on board and if we don't like the assignment, it's unlikely that we can change it when we get on board. Is this true? I find it hard to believe that we have no choice in this matter. What has happened in this situation in the past?

Do you actually have $29 in OBC or did your TA pass through from Princess a specialty restaurant booking benefit worth $29. The answer to this question will help us respond. I believe it is the latter.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

Wow just wow. You can absolutely use this in any venue on your preferred day and time. I have already   booked this using Dine My Way for my April 23rd sailing. When you get to the payment page the final charge is $0. This is using the specialty dining promo and I’ve done this using a specialty dining gifted to me by my PVP. 

Get a new TA 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, skynight said:

Do you actually have $29 in OBC or did your TA pass through from Princess a specialty restaurant booking benefit. The answer to this question will help us respond.

As far as I know it's a pass through. See below from the Princess web site:

Specialty Dining

Item Type

Delivery Date

Price

Package Purchased By

Cancel

Specialty Restaurant cover charge

May 11, 2022

$29.00

Compliments Of xxxx TA for:

• Richard 

Complimentary Gift

Specialty Restaurant cover charge

May 11, 2022

$29.00

Compliments Of XXX TA  for:

• spouse

We've also been able to change it to the time and restaurant of our choice every time!  Your TA is not giving you accurate information.  Just be sure to change the booking if it is not to your liking on the day you board.  Reservations can get filled up fast.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Wow just wow. You can absolutely use this in any venue on your preferred day and time. I have already   booked this using Dine My Way for my April 23rd sailing. When you get to the payment page the final charge is $0. This is using the specialty dining promo and I’ve done this using a specialty dining gifted to me by my PVP. 

Get a new TA 

31 minutes ago, skynight said:

Then you should be able to book in advance and when you get to the payment it should be zero like post 3.

I tried that, and did not get the "zero out" option.  Maybe this only shows up after final payment.  Platinum Members can make reservations immediately after placing a deposit, but before final payment, and I have done that for all my MDR needs.  But when I try to book a Specialty to use up my $29 per person perk, I can only confirm the reservation by paying. I even went all the way through the process and booked, and the charge showed up on my CC statement.  I called PCL to see if that would get offset once we are onboard and was told "no."  I was told that the charge would stick and that if I wanted to use my perk, I had to book on board and that any Specialty reservations I made in advance would be charged to me.  So it seems that this is in fact the case UNLESS something changes after final payment which I have not yet made.  

Edit to add...I have heard that one strategy is to make a reservation in advance and pay for it, and then once on board, cancel the reservation to get a refund on your credit card.  Once you cancel, you immediately book the same time that was just released back into the system and that will be applied toward your perk.. Doing it this way increases the chances that your preferred day and time will be available to you.  Seems a bit risky, but in theory, it does seem to add up.

Edited by JimmyVWine

46 minutes ago, rsail203 said:

I've tried to book a restaurant, but I can't do it online. Dine my way on the app, says it's not available for my May 11th cruise. "please check back later".

Dine My Way is not working right now. Try back later as it’s been taken offline at the moment. 

@JimmyVWineI am elite and I do usually book my specialty dining after final so I’m not sure if it works before final. I will try and book my free specialty dining on a cruise that I haven’t made final on when dine my way comes back on line. 

I was on Majestic October 30 and had this same benefit--booked Crown Grill in advance using the Medallion app--no problem.

I am booked again on Majestic April 30 and have the same perk.  I am long ago paid in full.  This time when I go on the app, I can take it all the way to payment--and it says $58.  Will not apply the voucher.

Of course, today, the Medallion app isn't working at all.  It won't let me log in.  When I get in on my booking number, it shows me downgraded back to "Yellow Lane" (was green), doesn't show my Medallions as ordered, won't let me even look at Dining My Way.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

I was on Majestic October 30 and had this same benefit--booked Crown Grill in advance using the Medallion app--no problem.

I am booked again on Majestic April 30 and have the same perk.  I am long ago paid in full.  This time when I go on the app, I can take it all the way to payment--and it says $58.  Will not apply the voucher.

Of course, today, the Medallion app isn't working at all.  It won't let me log in.  When I get in on my booking number, it shows me downgraded back to "Yellow Lane" (was green), doesn't show my Medallions as ordered, won't let me even look at Dining My Way.

I think the App is down, I’m having issues and tried two phones. **I’m one of the few who has sailed over the last 4 months  with no app issues 

4 hours ago, rsail203 said:

We each have $29 OBC  for specialty restaurants. My Travel Agent tells me that there is no choice to be had for the day, time, or choice of restaurant. They will be assigned when we get on board and if we don't like the assignment, it's unlikely that we can change it when we get on board. Is this true? I find it hard to believe that we have no choice in this matter. What has happened in this situation in the past?

You can reschedule to the restaurant anddate you like once you board.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I tried that, and did not get the "zero out" option.  Maybe this only shows up after final payment.  Platinum Members can make reservations immediately after placing a deposit, but before final payment, and I have done that for all my MDR needs.  But when I try to book a Specialty to use up my $29 per person perk, I can only confirm the reservation by paying.

I am having the same experience when attempting to book a specialty dinner included in a Princess promotion. That’s been the situation both before & after my final payment including currently less than 3 weeks before sailing. I’ve read posts about passengers paying to book in advance who at the PSD either received OBC or had their chargecard payment reversed.

• Thanks 1

We had no trouble just calling and making the res when we got on board

After reading this thread I just went into the app and made our first night free resmin the Crown grill

Easy peasy.  Worked just fine

Edited by riffatsea

14 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

We had no trouble just calling and making the res when we got on board

After reading this thread I just went into the app and made our first night free resmin the Crown grill

Easy peasy.  Worked just fine

Free or paid?

7 hours ago, skynight said:

Do you actually have $29 in OBC or did your TA pass through from Princess a specialty restaurant booking benefit worth $29. The answer to this question will help us respond. I believe it is the latter.

It doesn't matter.  Pax can select their own SD and Date/Time, subject to availability.

22 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

After you p ick time and location it looks like they ask for your credit card but if you scroll down it shows credit and $0 owed

Not on mine…It’s one of the few things that is consistent on the app for me…paid only despite having a free promotional SD included.

845E8B31-CD71-40E9-A4BE-D005B7110B09.jpeg

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Sometimes credit from TAs onlyshow up on board

We have we had that happen with obc from our TA

It’s not from a TA but was included as a promotional Princess booking benefit.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Thanks 1