Anyone attending the protest at Sydney & Brisbane this coming Sunday 13/3/22

16 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We had a very productive meeting yesterday, we all had a few bevies and decided it was time for cruising to restart in Australia, 

Now it is just a matter of time before they implement our wishes.

I had a productive visit to the Newport Railyards open day. Nice 30 minute walk from home.

Locos6.thumb.jpg.942322b503d4052b9ee602e317a8f6d1.jpg

• Like 1

I had to work & run a business. Today so no show...

But anything, small or large is something..

Unfortunately I really don't think CLIA has done to much.. I now either party won't do something this close to Election to piss anyone off. But there could have done something for a March/April restart back in December..

Congratulations Honey on trying..

49 minutes ago, Hunter69 said:

I had to work & run a business. Today so no show...

But anything, small or large is something..

Unfortunately I really don't think CLIA has done to much.. I now either party won't do something this close to Election to piss anyone off. But there could have done something for a March/April restart back in December..

Congratulations Honey on trying..

It didn’t look like a big event but she had a go.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 5:00 PM, NSWP said:

Neil, I have caught you..., yes Wednesday night is a goer, I would like to take you both down to the best Chinese on South Coast, if not the woooorld, Raymonds at Malua Bay,  15 minutes south. How's about I pick you up @ 5.30pm on Wednesday  near the barrier car park at the Coach House where you are staying..? 

Chinese cuisine par excellence, but if you want steak or fish or etc, they can do that too.

Who knows, it is on the water, we might see a cruise ship sail by..in our dreams,, lol.

Les.🍻

On 3/11/2022 at 5:37 PM, mr walker said:

Sound great mate. We leave here Monday & then be there Wed. I’ll keep in touch cheers

@NSWP Hi Les, arrived at Vincentia - looking forward to dinner Wed. See you at 5:30pm Wed at the barrier as you suggest Cheers 

1 hour ago, Cruisegroover said:

According to Honey Don Tehran was influenced by her rallies yesterday to make the announcement today that lifting the cruise ban is imminent. WE DID THIS she says.

His name is Dan Tehan. He is the MP for the area where my parents live in western Victoria.

Edited by possum52
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mr walker said:

@NSWP Hi Les, arrived at Vincentia - looking forward to dinner Wed. See you at 5:30pm Wed at the barrier as you suggest Cheers 

Okey Doke, Neil.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 7:13 PM, Cruisegroover said:

According to Honey Don Tehran was influenced by her rallies yesterday to make the announcement today that lifting the cruise ban is imminent. WE DID THIS she says.

The rally was after the national Cabinet meeting were the decision was made 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 7:13 PM, Cruisegroover said:

I think Honey might be mistaken there. 'We did this?' Come in spinner.lol.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2022 at 6:35 AM, NSWP said:

I think Honey might be mistaken there. 'We did this?' Come in spinner.lol.

Couldn't agree more, Les.  Of course we all desperately wanted cruising to our waters to resume.  We are booked on Queen Elizabeth Barcelona-Sydney, scheduled to arrive in November.  The desire to be aboard, though, pales into insignificance and smacks of self-indulgence when compared to the suffering in the Ukraine, the people left grieving and homeless in our own flood zones, and those still enduring hardship after our own devastating coastal bushfires.  The very last thing I would do is parade around cruise terminals shouting to the world that I'm deprived.  Other comments on here are correct;  the decision had already been made, and we are grateful that cruising can resume.  Now, speaking of protests, if only we could rid Canberra and region of the nutters wanting to eradicate life-saving vaccinations.  I notice there's a great contingent of them camped by the river this side of Braidwood.  I'm happy to be part of the silent majority feeling gratitude for the tireless work of our frontline medical workers, and yes, the government, and all who've contributed to keep us safe.  And......I'm delighted that, as expected, Dan Tehan announced during this last week that cruising will indeed resume.

Linda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The thing I loved about the lifting on restrictions on cruseing, was mentioned above about Honey saying she did it.

CLIA said they did it.

TA,'s who have suffered during the cancellation of cruises. Said they did it..On Book of Faces..

The resumption was because of The Government.. Not them. 

If it was any of them, it wouldn't have taken 10 months longer then US & Europe.. To get back what we loved.. If they where responsible they would have had the announcement 3 months earlier when the restriction was until Dec 17, for a restart in March.. But we have staggered restart from June..

It's going to be interesting if those loyal to RCL, Princess & Carnival, jump on a P&O cruise..😃

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2022 at 11:54 PM, Hunter69 said:

The thing I loved about the lifting on restrictions on cruseing, was mentioned above about Honey saying she did it.

CLIA said they did it.

TA,'s who have suffered during the cancellation of cruises. Said they did it..On Book of Faces..

The resumption was because of The Government.. Not them. 

If it was any of them, it wouldn't have taken 10 months longer then US & Europe.. To get back what we loved.. If they where responsible they would have had the announcement 3 months earlier when the restriction was until Dec 17, for a restart in March.. But we have staggered restart from June..

It's going to be interesting if those loyal to RCL, Princess & Carnival, jump on a P&O cruise..😃

I know this is a bit old, but I have been following the timeline of the ban for a long time, always looking forward to my next cruise until another extension was announced. Some of the BS around, as you say, Book of Faces led me back to CC. More and more people there seem to be busy counting their influencer clicks than they are sharing their love of cruising. 

The ban was set to expire on 17th December, and was only a couple of days away from being announced that it wouldn't be extended. Then by an incredibly bad piece of timing, a person bought the new variant in from overseas and infected a boatload on a Sydney Harbour cruise, The following surge of cases in Sydney & Newcastle led to a hasty retreat, and an extension to the cruise ban. Oh well, another couple of cruises canned for me and many others.

Much of the groundwork on a restart had been done by then, and it was just a matter of waiting until infections stabilised. States, particularly NSW/QLD/VIC had a framework largely in place in December, which was largely kept under wraps until AHPPC were convinced that infections were being managed. The health minister held responsibility for the ban, but so that it never became a political decision, it was determined by AHPPC. That is what made it harder - you can lobby politicians as they did in several countries, but AHPPC were at arms length and made decisions based on health data.

I am glad the small groups that protested in Sydney & Brisbane exercised their rights to be seen and have their say. To say that multi-billion dollar corps like Carnival & Royal couldn't get the ban lifted, but 60 people at OPT could sounds absolutely ludicrous to me though. Just good timing.

And yes, I have jumped on P&O for the resumption, but I will always look for the opportunity to cruise before I look at the vessel. Bring on 18th April when we see a big white boat again in Sydney Harbour, and 31st May when I can jump aboard (subject to a negative pre-cruise RAT)

• Like 2

The "We did it trophy can go to Honey and FB and cruise industry " the Government was trying to give back the " We F#€×£D up 🏆 from the Rubie Princess debacle. The decision was announced at the national Cabinet meeting but was probably decided behind closed doors that week before any rally. 

Have not been on P&O for 20 years, have booked 4b2b on Dora . Never cruised carnival, ended up with 6x $900 obc from cancel rebook. Probably will se Dora sail past Coffs Harbour on Easter Saturday. Yay 🙂

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_on_cruise_ships

• Like 1

I am sure we will see sensationalist reports in the media referring to the Ruby Princess. I am glad that Princess Cruises is smart enough not to send that ship to Australia.

I mentioned to a friend who has been on several cruises years ago, that we have some cruises booked. To say she was shocked would be an under-statement. Excitedly she told me "Remember that ship that brought COVID into Australia and spread it right through Sydney?" I felt like beating my head against a wall, but that would have only hurt my head! I explained that the virus came in by plane with an overseas pax etc. etc. However, the memory of the Ruby Princess is out there and many people will have a similarly distorted memory of that incident and blame the cruise ship. I feel this public perception was caused by the way the Ruby was handled by NSW Health Dept, ridiculous comments by the Minister ("virus spread by dancing waiters") and the sensationalist media reports. Such reports will continue: sensationalist reports sell papers and increase the viewing audience for TV news.

18 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am sure we will see sensationalist reports in the media referring to the Ruby Princess. I am glad that Princess Cruises is smart enough not to send that ship to Australia.

I mentioned to a friend who has been on several cruises years ago, that we have some cruises booked. To say she was shocked would be an under-statement. Excitedly she told me "Remember that ship that brought COVID into Australia and spread it right through Sydney?" I felt like beating my head against a wall, but that would have only hurt my head! I explained that the virus came in by plane with an overseas pax etc. etc. However, the memory of the Ruby Princess is out there and many people will have a similarly distorted memory of that incident and blame the cruise ship. I feel this public perception was caused by the way the Ruby was handled by NSW Health Dept, ridiculous comments by the Minister ("virus spread by dancing waiters") and the sensationalist media reports. Such reports will continue: sensationalist reports sell papers and increase the viewing audience for TV news.

I have several friends who are also alarmed that we would cruise again so soon. We are in a lower risk, and I understand anyone in a higher risk group taking their time, or choosing to never cruise again.

The initial cases did indeed fly into Australia. Technically that is true as well for Ruby Princess, but not entirely. A waiter starting a new contract flew in from Asia to join the ship in Sydney and was the cause of the infections aboard, not from any community transmission in Australia.

I just hope the gaps between federal and state responsibilities have been filled. Passengers that got sick aboard were not because of any government bungles though.

Just now, arxcards said:

The initial cases did indeed fly into Australia. Technically that is true as well for Ruby Princess, but not entirely. A waiter starting a new contract flew in from Asia to join the ship in Sydney and was the cause of the infections aboard, not from any community transmission in Australia.

I have not heard that a waiter brought COVID onto the Ruby. I question this comment because of the rate of infection aboard the ship. By the end of the cruise, many hundreds of passengers (was it 700?) were infected but literally only a hand-full of crew. If the infection started with a crew member, the virus would have spread like wildfire through the crew who live and party in close confines.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have not heard that a waiter brought COVID onto the Ruby. I question this comment because of the rate of infection aboard the ship. By the end of the cruise, many hundreds of passengers (was it 700?) were infected but literally only a hand-full of crew. If the infection started with a crew member, the virus would have spread like wildfire through the crew who live and party in close confines.

Dancing waiters was hyperbole, so maybe that is a point where people tune-in, or switch-off. The comment was made by the person who has ministerial responsibility over all of those genomic tests that were done to trace the infection trail. He is not the only person to have mentioned waiter or food handler. The early infections also lined up within the same dining room station.

Yes, the crew live in close confines with a select number of their fellow crew, but the majority of the service staff don't party. When a crew member shows mild symptoms, they are tested and isolated. When a passenger shows mild symptoms, they pretend everything is normal so as to avoid being locked in a cabin.