The Daily for Friday 03/11/2022

richwmn

4 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

I think John Chapman (Johnny Appleseed) was more of an orchardist and real estate magnate than just the dreamy wanderer he is portrayed to be in much of American Folklore. He planted acres and acres of orchards because one way to prove that a homestead was permanent was to plant a certain number of fruit trees. Frontiersmen that followed would benefit from his work, and he would profit from transferring the land to them. 

His apples were not what we would consider a good eating apple, or even a good pie apple.

Here is an excerpt from a Smithsonian Magazine article about Johnny Appleseed:

"Up until Prohibition, an apple grown in America was far less likely to be eaten than to wind up in a barrel of cider," writes Michael Pollan in The Botany of Desire. "In rural areas cider took the place of not only wine and beer but of coffee and tea, juice, and even water."

This is the link to the article: The Real Johnny Appleseed Brought Apples—and Booze—to the American Frontier | Arts & Culture| Smithsonian Magazine

I liked this part:

"But not all of the apples that came from Chapman's orchards were destined to be forgotten. Wandering the modern supermarket, we have Chapman to thank for varieties like the delicious, the golden delicious, and more. His penchant toward propagation by seed, Pollan argues, lent itself to creating the great—and perhaps more importantly—hardy American apple. Had Chapman and the settlers opted for grafting, the uniformity of the apple product would have lent to a staid and relatively boring harvest. "It was the seeds, and the cider, that give the apple the opportunity to discover by trial and error the precise combination of traits required to prosper in the New World," he writes. "From Chapman's vast planting of nameless cider apple seeds came some of the great American cultivars of the 19th century."

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon from a windy, cool and white capped Pacific Ocean.  Fortunately, it isn't rough.  This morning we attended the Mariners reception.  We had a nice visit with the Hotel Director and the Guest Relations Manager.

We learned about Johnny Appleseed in elementary school.  @grapau27  Graham, thank you for the added information.  Dream day is an interestering addition to the days.  Neither of us worship tools, but DH has quite a collection in Arizona and Texas, in addition to the tool box in the motorhome.  We gave both DDs tool boxes when they got their first apartments.  Younger DD is quite handy which is good since her SO isn't so handy.  With the older DD, it's DSIL who is handy.  We also have some of my father's and grandfather's tools.

I like the quote, but don't know how true it is.    I like sole, but don't cook it.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds nice but pricey.

We have not been to today's port.

Tomorrow we have two can't miss events.  At 8:40 am we have a date with a covid test.  🤞  Tomorrow night, it will be dinner in the Tamarind to celebrate my birthday, a semi-milestone.  We'll leave it at that.

@Overhead Fred  HAPPY BIRTHDAY tomorrow to Mitzi.  I think she picked a good day.😉

@marshhawk  I hope the dentist can give your DH some relief from the pain.

@mamaofami Carol, I'm sorry about your toe and Sam's mouth.  Good luck in getting a really good aide.

@Cruzin Terri  I'm glad your DH is feeling better and wants to go on your cruise.

@puppycanducruise  I loved the meme.

@ger_77  Gerry, thank you for reminding us about the earthquake.  I'm glad DD and DSIL were not hurt.  The story about the people helping him shows the goodness in most people.

@ottahand7  Welcome home.

@Sea Viewer  I'm happy that your DH is continuing to improve.

@Navybikermom  Have a safe flight to Fort Lauderdale.

@aliaschief  I'm glad you're enjoying Azamara and your cruise.  Thank you for the information.

@0106  Congratulations on your DH being cancer free for five years.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Hey graham are and your wife in some Alice and Wonderland world?

Looks like Alicante in Spain. Maybe instead of where's Waldo we should have where's Graham🗺️?

They certainly are enjoying life and traveling.

• Like 12
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, Sea Viewer said:

Looks like Alicante in Spain. Maybe instead of where's Waldo we should have where's Graham🗺️?

yes and I was surprised to see them on the go.  I think they have abandoned cruising for a while.

Besides they were just in Spain not too long ago.

Well let's wait for his answer.  

• Like 9

Good evening all, I hope everyone had a great day. It was a sunny and warm day but tomorrow we have a winter storm expected with 3-6 inches of snow and high winds 😱

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists ❤️🙏❤️ 

• Like 17

9 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

Love the collection of days! I love tools. Quite often my husband has to borrow my toolkits because he can’t find anything in his ginormous tool chest. I even had to lend a 10mm socket to the dude at AutoZone when he installed my last car battery - lol!

the meal doesn’t appeal to me - not a fish eater. The drink sounds great tho. We’re sitting in the Nashville airport waiting for our flight to FLL, and of course sitting in the bar drinking Bloody Marys 😁. There’s live country music and the guy was playing “It’s 5 o’clock Somewhere” 😂

Dh always has to replace 10mm sockets...  they tend to go missing.

• Like 11

Thanks to  Rich @richwmn for the Daily, to Roy, @rafinmd for the Lists, and to all  who contribute to make this thread such a pleasant site to visit.

@aliaschief have you injured your ankle?  hope the swelling soon settles. Sounds like you are really enjoying your cruise. 

@marshhawk how is your DH after the visit to the dentist?

@Navybikermom Bon Voyage.

@Overhead Fred Happy Birthday to Mitzi for tomorrow.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Happy Birthday for tomorrow.

@cruising_along Peasegood Non-such is a very good apple for saucing, making jelly etc. Four houses ago we had one in our garden, gave buckets of the apples to friends and neighbours. 

Trees are beginning to loose their leaves.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Dreams?  Well I had a weird sleep, no dream.  That cough I have had for months wont allow me to sleep well, but I found that if I go to bed with a half empty jar of Vicks Vapo rub, the smell clears out my sinuses, and I can sleep well.  In the middle of the night however, I must have undone the lid, and my black cat starting eating the Vicks.  I woke up covered in a gooey menthol smelling wet mess of slime at 4 in the morning, and wondered if I had taken the jar and smothered myself with Vicks.  That would be a no.  She ate it, and barfed all over me.  And the bed.  So when we finally got home today, I had a load of laundry to do.

The dentist would usually set up an appointment with the oral surgeon over in Lilburn GA, but that doctor has retired, and so he sent him to a group of dental oral surgeons, and the only one that could see him soon, is up in Roswell.  Not so close, and it involves driving around the city on 285.  The dentist wrote him a prescription for some mighty pain pills, and while he has taken one, he still is in a lot of pain.  The upside, he gets a doc and some help in sight, the downside, is that one of my cancer tests were supposed to be on Monday, and my training for my new job is supposed to be on Monday, but  unless it's late in the day, I will have to study on my own,   I don't know the time yet for the zoom class.

I moved the test to the next week, and will ask DH to ask before he schedules more appointments.  I don't want him in pain, but he did wait til yesterday to contact the dentist, while he has been in pain all week.  We were off today, and are working tomorrow.   

The reason we were off today was to visit our favorite H & R block guy.  I am terrible in math, so he has been my "guy" since 1990.  DH and I have been filing jointly since we got married.  Today, Our Guy informed us that the government thinks that DH and I are too poor, and they gave us an extra 1k.  We didn't know we were poor, and we don't feel any richer for the extra thousand.  It will help us, but wouldn't make or break us.  The truth is the older i get the more I want to get rid of, less stuff, so except for a new collection of T shirts I really dont look for more than what keeps us going day to day.  I had to laugh though because when Our guy told us that news, we both said in unison, Wow, another cruise!

I-has-a-money1.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

When the sewing table is set up, Sky finds her spot on the softest fabric. From that bit of added height, she is able to keep tabs on all that is going on around her. With the start of the sewing machine, she will move aside but stays nearby, ready to reclaim her place of power. 🐈

6715E2DA-F200-4B7D-8671-ADC3B15DA67D.thumb.jpeg.2c09908cbe03bdc4f5187fb64928b5c7.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, erewhon said:

@cruising_along Peasegood Non-such is a very good apple for saucing, making jelly etc. Four houses ago we had one in our garden, gave buckets of the apples to friends and neighbours. 

I bet your friends and neighbors loved that!  

Thank you, I had never heard of that variety, so I looked it up.  From what I could see, it doesn't grow here, but in the UK (and obviously NZ too).  I think I better stick with what the family expects -- they would never get over the shock if I changed my pies and applesauce now. 😄

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sea Viewer said:

Thank you.

It is Pauline's 60th birthday tomorrow 13th March.

Meal last night.

Graham.

IMG_20220311_183235.jpg

IMG_20220311_185833.jpg

IMG_20220311_200714.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 12

10 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yes and I was surprised to see them on the go.  I think they have abandoned cruising for a while.

Besides they were just in Spain not too long ago.

Well let's wait for his answer.  

Hi Jody @Oceansaway17

Cruising around the Mediterranean.

I will post details when we are home.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you.

It is Pauline's 60th birthday tomorrow 13th March.

Meal last night.

Graham.

IMG_20220311_183235.jpg

IMG_20220311_185833.jpg

IMG_20220311_200714.jpg

Happy birthday to Pauline. 🎂

Today would have been my Mom's 85th birthday.

• Like 4