ARRIVCAN Question

loving goldens

Please let me know if I understand correctly; for my Alaska cruise on the Discovery Princess, we'll be driving down to Seattle from Vancouver. There's a stop in Victoria (not getting off), still need to complete Arrive Can?

And when we disembark in Seattle to drive back Vancouver, we need to complete ArriveCan within 72 hours? I guess we can do it when we're in Victoria.

Thank you in advance for your help

8 hours ago, lotus land said:

Please let me know if I understand correctly; for my Alaska cruise on the Discovery Princess, we'll be driving down to Seattle from Vancouver. There's a stop in Victoria (not getting off), still need to complete Arrive Can?

And when we disembark in Seattle to drive back Vancouver, we need to complete ArriveCan within 72 hours? I guess we can do it when we're in Victoria.

Thank you in advance for your help

Whether or not you decide to go ashore in Victoria, you will still need to make an ArriveCAN submission. As for your later drive back to Vancouver, you can make the second submission at any point during the 72 hour window before re-entering. If you choose to do so while in Victoria, that's fine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Whether or not you decide to go ashore in Victoria, you will still need to make an ArriveCAN submission. As for your later drive back to Vancouver, you can make the second submission at any point during the 72 hour window before re-entering. If you choose to do so while in Victoria, that's fine. 

Thank you so much for your assistance! 

• Like 1

Fouremco:  Next week we leave for our cruise and have a few final questions if you don't mind.

1.  In April, someone suggested that I try to do a "dummy" ArriveCAN submission and see if I got a receipt to ensure everything worked.  I did that and a receipt was given.  Next Wednesday, I will be making my new ArriveCAN submittal for my Canadian land/bus border crossing.  Will the old information from my April "dummy" submittal still be in the system?  If so, I am assuming that my new information will over ride it?

2.  Once we leave the Canadian land border how long should I wait before I fill out my new ArriveCAN information for my submittal to the cruise line for my embarkation which is the same day as my border crossing?

Many thanks again for your help.

5 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Fouremco:  Next week we leave for our cruise and have a few final questions if you don't mind.

1.  In April, someone suggested that I try to do a "dummy" ArriveCAN submission and see if I got a receipt to ensure everything worked.  I did that and a receipt was given.  Next Wednesday, I will be making my new ArriveCAN submittal for my Canadian land/bus border crossing.  Will the old information from my April "dummy" submittal still be in the system?  If so, I am assuming that my new information will over ride it?

2.  Once we leave the Canadian land border how long should I wait before I fill out my new ArriveCAN information for my submittal to the cruise line for my embarkation which is the same day as my border crossing?

Many thanks again for your help.

Hi @Italy52!

The biodata that you previously input for your dummy submission will still be there. You will just need to input your new trip information. The same will apply after crossing the border and preparing for your next submission.

Wait until the bus has cleared the border crossing and you've officially entered before starting the second submission. Once you are in Canada, you can start at any time up until checkin, but leaving enough time for you submission to be processed and the receipt to be sent to you.

Let us know how you make out, and have a great cruise!

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Hi @Italy52!

The biodata that you previously input for your dummy submission will still be there. You will just need to input your new trip information. The same will apply after crossing the border and preparing for your next submission.

Wait until the bus has cleared the border crossing and you've officially entered before starting the second submission. Once you are in Canada, you can start at any time up until checkin, but leaving enough time for you submission to be processed and the receipt to be sent to you.

Thanks a million for getting back to me so quickly.  Will definitely drop by the board to let you know how things worked out.

Edited by Italy52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Hi @Italy52!

Hi Fouremco, Once you do the practice/dummy submission and get your approval code, should I go back in and cancel the fake cruise info or will it just go away when the fake date passes?

I don't want to falsify anything to the GOC and cause myself a problem...

thanks

Okay, I think I got it. I went back in and hit the "start over" button and it appears to have deleted the trip info i had inputted but it retained all the personal info. So I think I am good to go and not in hot water with the GOC, I hope..

31 minutes ago, triiip42 said:

Okay, I think I got it. I went back in and hit the "start over" button and it appears to have deleted the trip info i had inputted but it retained all the personal info. So I think I am good to go and not in hot water with the GOC, I hope..

Nope, you’re good!  Have a great trip!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, triiip42 said:

I'm late in responding, but I see you worked it out on your own. As you say, you are good to go!

• Thanks 1

Sounds like you need to do a Reuseable receipt, which covers each entry into Canada. 

COVID-19: Use ArriveCAN to enter Canada - Canada.ca

Reusable receipt

As a vaccinated essential traveller, you can save time by creating a reusable receipt.

Enter your information once and reuse your receipt for each entry into Canada.

You're no longer required to enter information about your port of entry, or date and time of arrival.

If you previously created a reusable ArriveCAN receipt, you must download the latest version of the ArriveCAN mobile app or sign in to the web version. You must re-submit all of your information, including the newly required information on proof of vaccinations, to get a new exempt reusable ArriveCAN receipt. If you don't submit the required information, it can cause more delays at the border. It can also lead to fines or enforcement action.

Apart from this requirement, you may only need to resubmit your information if the border services officer determines that:

• you're not travelling for exempt essential travel
  • you're travelling for non-essential reasons (for example, discretionary travel)
  • your information in ArriveCAN changes (for example, your travel history)

30 minutes ago, a56traveler said:

Sounds like you need to do a Reuseable receipt, which covers each entry into Canada. 

COVID-19: Use ArriveCAN to enter Canada - Canada.ca

Reusable receipt

As a vaccinated essential traveller, you can save time by creating a reusable receipt.

Enter your information once and reuse your receipt for each entry into Canada.

You're no longer required to enter information about your port of entry, or date and time of arrival.

If you previously created a reusable ArriveCAN receipt, you must download the latest version of the ArriveCAN mobile app or sign in to the web version. You must re-submit all of your information, including the newly required information on proof of vaccinations, to get a new exempt reusable ArriveCAN receipt. If you don't submit the required information, it can cause more delays at the border. It can also lead to fines or enforcement action.

Apart from this requirement, you may only need to resubmit your information if the border services officer determines that:

• you're not travelling for exempt essential travel
  • you're travelling for non-essential reasons (for example, discretionary travel)
  • your information in ArriveCAN changes (for example, your travel history)

Cruising is not considered essential travel. It is considered non-essential (discretionary) travel. I don't think a reusable receipt can be used.

• Thanks 2

Receipt Question…..

Is the receipt an e-receipt or a paper, in-the-hand receipt?  I’m asking because I’m taking a same day trip by coach bus to Watertown this summer.  All of us old ladies will have to fill out the ArriveCan form, right? If we need a paper receipt, how do we do that? I thought that I read on the ArriveCan site that one can show the receipt from a device. Is that still valid, I wonder?  I hope the day trip host knows that the bus needs wifi.  
Also,is it mandatory that the ArrivCan be filled out only in the US, or could I mostly fill it out while still at home, then just fill in a few things before re-entering Canada?   
Thank you for your help in this. 😊

I am in the process of filling in the info when I came upon a question I can't answer. We have a cell phone, but I don't think it works in Canada. There is a required field for contact information asking for a phone number.  We are cruising from Boston on the Zaandam on Saturday. Do I chance it and put in the cell number?

1 hour ago, ladysail2 said:

Receipt Question…..

Is the receipt an e-receipt or a paper, in-the-hand receipt?  I’m asking because I’m taking a same day trip by coach bus to Watertown this summer.  All of us old ladies will have to fill out the ArriveCan form, right? If we need a paper receipt, how do we do that? I thought that I read on the ArriveCan site that one can show the receipt from a device. Is that still valid, I wonder?  I hope the day trip host knows that the bus needs wifi.  
Also,is it mandatory that the ArrivCan be filled out only in the US, or could I mostly fill it out while still at home, then just fill in a few things before re-entering Canada?   
Thank you for your help in this. 😊

There's no need to submit your information from within the US. You can submit it at any time within 72 hours of your time of arrival and do so from your home in Ottawa if you so choose. You can use your desktop if you want and print out your receipt, or you can use your mobile phone and use the receipt received there. As ArriveCAN is linked to your passport, you probably won't need to show your paper or e-receipt, as the CBSA officer will see you submission when scanning your passport.

Each of you will have to make a separate submission, unless accompanying a family member.

58 minutes ago, KBC73 said:

I am in the process of filling in the info when I came upon a question I can't answer. We have a cell phone, but I don't think it works in Canada. There is a required field for contact information asking for a phone number.  We are cruising from Boston on the Zaandam on Saturday. Do I chance it and put in the cell number?

Check with your service provider. I'm not aware of any cell phones sold and supported in the US that won't work here. The same applies to phone purchased in Canada and used in the US.  Most US providers provide free or inexpensive roaming in Canada.

17 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Check with your service provider. I'm not aware of any cell phones sold and supported in the US that won't work here. The same applies to phone purchased in Canada and used in the US.  Most US providers provide free or inexpensive roaming in Canada.

Thanks, I will put in the cell phone number.

51 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

There's no need to submit your information from within the US. You can submit it at any time within 72 hours of your time of arrival and do so from your home in Ottawa if you so choose. You can use your desktop if you want and print out your receipt, or you can use your mobile phone and use the receipt received there. As ArriveCAN is linked to your passport, you probably won't need to show your paper or e-receipt, as the CBSA officer will see you submission when scanning your passport.

Each of you will have to make a separate submission, unless accompanying a family member.

Thank you. I’m so nervous about all this, I’ll probably look like I’m guilty of something.  But I have to get used to it if I ever want to leave Canada and get back in again! 😊

Just read the last few pages and I think I've got it straight. We are Canadians flying from Toronto to Vancouver and boarding Radiance of the Seas for 7 nights to Seward. We are staying on board and returning to Vancouver, so a back to back cruise with 2 different reservation numbers. Do we need to do ArriveCan before boarding in Vancouver or do we do it 72 hours before our arrival back in Vancouver? 

Do we need a Covid test to fly Toronto to Vancouver? Do we need one to board the ship in Vancouver? Do we need another test on the second cruise?

Nice to have a board where we can get information specific to Canadian travelers.

Thanks,

Tony

1 hour ago, disneykins said:

Just read the last few pages and I think I've got it straight. We are Canadians flying from Toronto to Vancouver and boarding Radiance of the Seas for 7 nights to Seward. We are staying on board and returning to Vancouver, so a back to back cruise with 2 different reservation numbers. Do we need to do ArriveCan before boarding in Vancouver or do we do it 72 hours before our arrival back in Vancouver? 

I would treat it as a round trip Vancouver cruise as there is no layover in Seward. So ArriveCAN before boarding in Vancouver. 

Do we need a Covid test to fly Toronto to Vancouver?

No.

Do we need one to board the ship in Vancouver?

Yes.

Do we need another test on the second cruise?

I believe the practice is for the cruise line to administer any required test.