ARRIVCAN Question

loving goldens

I’ve just read through all 11 pages of this topic and I apologize if I missed the answer to this but here is my scenario…

I am Canadian flying from Ontario to British Columbia to embark on a cruise leaving Vancouver on sun June 5th.

could someone please confirm or correct the following answers to the arrivecan app for me ?

for the primary reason for entering Canada - would I choose : Canadian citizens and others with a right of entry ?

how are you entering Canada?

Would i choose marine ?

country of original departure

this I think I know which would be canada

date of embarkation?

2022 06 05 ?

time of embarkation?

we have a boarding time of 12:20pm so would 1:00pm be an appropriate time?

port of entry?

Vancouver cruise ship operations? 

date of arrival?

this I’m not sure what I should put in here.  Our embarkation date again?

time of arrival?

again uncertain about this, maybe the time the ship gets into port?  7am ?

Thanks so much 🙂

17 minutes ago, Freckles1983 said:

I’ve just read through all 11 pages of this topic and I apologize if I missed the answer to this but here is my scenario…

I am Canadian flying from Ontario to British Columbia to embark on a cruise leaving Vancouver on sun June 5th.

could someone please confirm or correct the following answers to the arrivecan app for me ?

for the primary reason for entering Canada - would I choose : Canadian citizens and others with a right of entry ?

how are you entering Canada?

Would i choose marine ?

country of original departure

this I think I know which would be canada

date of embarkation?

2022 06 05 ?

time of embarkation?

we have a boarding time of 12:20pm so would 1:00pm be an appropriate time?

port of entry?

Vancouver cruise ship operations? 

date of arrival?

this I’m not sure what I should put in here.  Our embarkation date again?

time of arrival?

again uncertain about this, maybe the time the ship gets into port?  7am ?

Thanks so much 🙂

Presuming a round trip cruise from Vancouver:

• Primary reason: Canadian citizen etc. (presuming you qualify, otherwise Discretionary etc.)
  • Country of original departure: Canada
  • Port of entry: Vancouver
  • Date of arrival: date of cruise termination
  • Are you travelling on a cruise ship? Yes
  • Is the cruise terminating in Canada? Yes

3 hours ago, broberts said:

Presuming a round trip cruise from Vancouver:

• Primary reason: Canadian citizen etc. (presuming you qualify, otherwise Discretionary etc.)
  • Country of original departure: Canada
  • Port of entry: Vancouver
  • Date of arrival: date of cruise termination
  • Are you travelling on a cruise ship? Yes
  • Is the cruise terminating in Canada? Yes

It’s not round trip cruise per se because we do 7days out of Vancouver up to Alaska and then we get off and do a land tour through Alaska and Yukon.  Eventually flying back to Vancouver.  Would that information change anything?  
thanks for your response.

24 minutes ago, Freckles1983 said:

It’s not round trip cruise per se because we do 7days out of Vancouver up to Alaska and then we get off and do a land tour through Alaska and Yukon.  Eventually flying back to Vancouver.  Would that information change anything?  

Yes.

I don't think you can get an ArriveCAN QR for a cruise that ends outside of Canada.

You may need an ArriveCAN QR for entering the Yukon, depends on the itinerary. The tour operator should know.

If your flight back to Vancouver is from Alaska an ArriveCAN QR will be needed for the flight.

• Like 1

Quick question….just finished arrive can…on a bus to Vancouver so put in highway…everything was ok but they asked where staying….I put in a hotel in Canada…should I have put the address of the ship dock!   It took my info and gave me the required code, but want to be sure I did this correctly

Its a 3 night cruise and 7 day land package 

50 minutes ago, Di22 said:

Quick question….just finished arrive can…on a bus to Vancouver so put in highway…everything was ok but they asked where staying….I put in a hotel in Canada…should I have put the address of the ship dock!   It took my info and gave me the required code, but want to be sure I did this correctly

Its a 3 night cruise and 7 day land package 

Where did the bus start?  And where does the cruise leave from, go to and return to?  And do you leave on the cruise the same day you arrive in Vancouver on the bus?  Where is the land stay, and is it before or after the cruise?  We need more info to be able to give you a better answer.

Essentially, you need a ArriveCan entry for each time you cross into Canada from somewhere else.  So if you enter and/or return to Canada more than once, you’ll need more than one ArriveCan entry.

Edited by bookbabe

I am taking the Princess shuttle from Seattle to Vancouver for a 14-day loop cruise (Vancouver-Vancouver).  I will do one ArriveCAN for crossing the border and then once we clear that, I will fill out another ArriveCAN on the bus for my same day embarkation on the ship which will be docked at Canada Place.  When asked where I will be staying I will give the name of the ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bookbabe said:

Where did the bus start?  And where does the cruise leave from, go to and return to?  And do you leave on the cruise the same day you arrive in Vancouver on the bus?  Where is the land stay, and is it before or after the cruise?  We need more info to be able to give you a better answer.

Essentially, you need a ArriveCan entry for each time you cross into Canada from somewhere else.  So if you enter and/or return to Canada more than once, you’ll need more than one ArriveCan entry.

Thanks for the quick response.   We will be in Seattle and taking the bus to Vancouver on Saturday and going on Hal for a 3 night cruise.  We get off in Skagway and we do a 7 night land package.  What I need to know if I need to put the pier address in instead off the hotel in Canada.

On 5/30/2022 at 9:24 PM, Freckles1983 said:

From what I read from the Arrive Canada site it says to select other and then enter cruise ship name and cabin #. It still wanted a address to complete so I put in the Canada place address and zip. Not really sure if that is correct but at least it allowed me to get the approval QR code and email. I guess if it is wrong they will lock me up as it is not really clear about the place for quarantine when on a cruise that ends in Alaska. 😵💫

1 hour ago, Di22 said:

Thanks for the quick response.   We will be in Seattle and taking the bus to Vancouver on Saturday and going on Hal for a 3 night cruise.  We get off in Skagway and we do a 7 night land package.  What I need to know if I need to put the pier address in instead off the hotel in Canada.

You’ll need one for the bus to Vancouver, with entering by land chosen, and I guess the ship info if you are getting straight on the cruise.  Otherwise, you would put the Vancouver hotel you are staying in that night.  That ArriveCan code will be shown at the border during your bus trip.

If your cruise doesn’t return to Canada, I don’t think you need an ArriveCan for the cruise.  You would need one done during your land tour, for crossing from Alaska to the Yukon whenever that happens.  If you fly home from Alaska you wouldn’t need one for that, unless you fly to Vancouver and take a bus back to Seattle.

Basically, look at your itinerary and identify the dates you cross into Canada from the US, the method of travel at that point, and then the length of stay and location…that’s what you put into ArriveCan each time.  You might want to get advice from HAL, since your itinerary is more complicated than the usual.  Maybe HAL has worked something out with the Cdn govt so that you only fill out one for the whole trip, like you would with a regular cruise?

Somewhat confused after reading more of the Arrive Canada website. 😵💫 So do I need to do a submission for the flight from the US to Canada and also do a 2nd submission for our cruise that departs Canada and ends in Whittier Alaska the day after we fly into Vancouver?

6 hours ago, Expo67 said:

Somewhat confused after reading more of the Arrive Canada website. 😵💫 So do I need to do a submission for the flight from the US to Canada and also do a 2nd submission for our cruise that departs Canada and ends in Whittier Alaska the day after we fly into Vancouver?

You need an ArriveCAN submission for the US to Canada flight.

I don't think you need a submission for the Vancouver to Whittier cruise. In fact it's not possible to complete a submission if the arrival port is not in Canada.

8 hours ago, bookbabe said:

You’ll need one for the bus to Vancouver, with entering by land chosen, and I guess the ship info if you are getting straight on the cruise.  Otherwise, you would put the Vancouver hotel you are staying in that night.  That ArriveCan code will be shown at the border during your bus trip.

If your cruise doesn’t return to Canada, I don’t think you need an ArriveCan for the cruise.  You would need one done during your land tour, for crossing from Alaska to the Yukon whenever that happens.  If you fly home from Alaska you wouldn’t need one for that, unless you fly to Vancouver and take a bus back to Seattle.

Basically, look at your itinerary and identify the dates you cross into Canada from the US, the method of travel at that point, and then the length of stay and location…that’s what you put into ArriveCan each time.  You might want to get advice from HAL, since your itinerary is more complicated than the usual.  Maybe HAL has worked something out with the Cdn govt so that you only fill out one for the whole trip, like you would with a regular cruise?

Thank you.  Really appreciate the help on this board.

7 hours ago, broberts said:

You need an ArriveCAN submission for the US to Canada flight.

I don't think you need a submission for the Vancouver to Whittier cruise. In fact it's not possible to complete a submission if the arrival port is not in Canada.

Thank you for your reply. I was beginning to think I had gone crazy. I could not find a way to put in a 2nd submission so I figured the only way would be to submit a new one after this one had expired after we arrived on the 4th of June.

3 hours ago, Expo67 said:

Thank you for your reply. I was beginning to think I had gone crazy. I could not find a way to put in a 2nd submission so I figured the only way would be to submit a new one after this one had expired after we arrived on the 4th of June.

It is true that only one ArriveCAN submission can be active at any time. If you need a subsequent one, it can't be started until the first one has been "used".

19 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

If you need a subsequent one, it can't be started until the first one has been "used".

I am on a bus.  So, once I cross the Canadian border I can then start a new ArriveCAN to present to my cruise line for embarkation in Vancouver (I am crossing the border and embarking on the same day).

19 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

I am on a bus.  So, once I cross the Canadian border I can then start a new ArriveCAN to present to my cruise line for embarkation in Vancouver (I am crossing the border and embarking on the same day).

You've got it! 😇

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

You've got it! 😇

Thanks for always answering my posts, I appreciate it.  So many assumptions floating around again--I was beginning to doubt my ArriveCAN process. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

You've got it! 😇

If the cruise I am embarking on in Vancouver ends in Alaska will I need to submit a new submission after my flight arrives in Vancouver?

44 minutes ago, Expo67 said:

If the cruise I am embarking on in Vancouver ends in Alaska will I need to submit a new submission after my flight arrives in Vancouver?

No, if you are only required to make an ArriveCAN submission when you are going to enter Canada. So you need one to fly into Vancouver, but that's all, as you are disembarking in Alaska. If your cruise was Vancouver-Alaska-Vancouver, then you would need a second submission as you would be exiting and re-entering Canada, but not in your case with the end of the cruise in Alaska.

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

No, if you are only required to make an ArriveCAN submission when you are going to enter Canada. So you need one to fly into Vancouver, but that's all, as you are disembarking in Alaska. If your cruise was Vancouver-Alaska-Vancouver, then you would need a second submission as you would be exiting and re-entering Canada, but not in your case with the end of the cruise in Alaska.

OK, here is why I get confused.  If the poster flies into Vancouver then he needs an ArriveCAN.  Yet he doesn't need another one to board the ship?  If that is the case, why do I need one to cross the border into Canada and then need one to board the ship --- all actions take place on the same day.  Is it because my cruise is a loop beginning and ending in Vancouver?

5 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

OK, here is why I get confused.  If the poster flies into Vancouver then he needs an ArriveCAN.  Yet he doesn't need another one to board the ship?  If that is the case, why do I need one to cross the border into Canada and then need one to board the ship --- all actions take place on the same day.  Is it because my cruise is a loop beginning and ending in Vancouver?

That's it. In @Expo67's case, he only enters Canada once, his initial flight into Vancouver. In your case, you enter Canada twice, first on the bus to Vancouver and the second time after exiting and later re-entering Canada on your cruise. One entry; one submission. Two entries; two submissions.

16 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

That's it. In @Expo67's case, he only enters Canada once, his initial flight into Vancouver. In your case, you enter Canada twice, first on the bus to Vancouver and the second time after exiting and later re-entering Canada on your cruise. One entry; one submission. Two entries; two submissions.

Now it makes sense --- thank you, again.