ARRIVCAN Question

loving goldens

1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

Right, so I've read through this entire thread and appreciate all the helpful info.

Here's my scenario - I fly from Raleigh to Seattle on 5/31 and spend the night there.  I take HAL's transportation on 6/1 to Vancouver and board Zuiderdam.  Since I enter Canada via land, how do I know what to put as my "highway port of entry?"  Will that be Douglas?

I haven't even tried to figure out any testing and the timing involved for that.  Things could change in the next month.

Blaine (Pacific Highway) Crossing rather than Douglas (Peace Arch) as you'll be on a bus - only cars and RVs at the arch, all buses deviate a teeny bit east as that's the one set up to handle disembarking pax and their baggage from buses. You may or may not have to go through the full rigamarole!

Recent reports are that QuickShuttle is being contracted to run the shuttles and mixing you with regular joes, probably due to insufficient demand, so you could check their schedule - you'll be booked on the first bus of the morning if this happens to you, which hits BLI at noon and the first stop on the BC side of the border at 1pm, so putting in an ETA of 12:30pm is about right for ArriveCAN. If it is a dedicated shuttle bus there won't be any stops, so will almost certainly hit the border before noon. Regardless, exact time is not required for land crossings just an indication.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2022 at 2:33 PM, broberts said:

From https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19.html

"If you test positive while on your cruise, and the cruise ends in Canada, you will need to complete your isolation in Canada as organized and paid for by the operator."

Trying to figure out what this really means if a passenger tests positive on disembarkation day, especially if they've already left their ship. So here is a hypothetical.  A  passenger arrives early in the AM back in Vancouver (e.g., 7:00AM), then officially disembarks the ship (e.g., 9:00AM), then gets tested as required to catch a flight back to the USA but ends up with a "positive" COVID Test result despite having no symptoms.  Technically in this case, the passenger has left their cruise.  Would the "operator", the Cruise Line, still be responsible for organizing and paying for the passengers required isolation (quarantine) food/lodging in Vancouver, or would it be up to the passenger at that point having left the ship.  

I bring this up because there was an article about passengers getting COVID recently on a Carnival Cruise ending in Seattle, and the line said they were not responsible for the quarantine expenses, but did pony up due to the bad press.   Of course this was in the US, so maybe its a completely  different circumstance given the CA rules quoted above.

Also, still trying to decipher what enter your information in ArrivCan "within 72 hours before embarkation of your cruise" (or flight) really means.  Does it mean anytime within the 72 hours to 1 hour before your cruise/flight, or is it sometime before the 72 hour clock starts.  So 4 or 5 days or more before your cruise/flight?  Bottom line, if my cruise departs at 4:30 PM on Wednesday, July 13, what is within 72 hours window to enter the required ArrivCan trip details?

Thanks,

Steven

13 minutes ago, CaribbeanSteve said:

Trying to figure out what this really means if a passenger tests positive on disembarkation day, especially if they've already left their ship. So here is a hypothetical.  A  passenger arrives early in the AM back in Vancouver (e.g., 7:00AM), then officially disembarks the ship (e.g., 9:00AM), then gets tested as required to catch a flight back to the USA but ends up with a "positive" COVID Test result despite having no symptoms.  Technically in this case, the passenger has left their cruise.  Would the "operator", the Cruise Line, still be responsible for organizing and paying for the passengers required isolation (quarantine) food/lodging in Vancouver, or would it be up to the passenger at that point having left the ship.  

I bring this up because there was an article about passengers getting COVID recently on a Carnival Cruise ending in Seattle, and the line said they were not responsible for the quarantine expenses, but did pony up due to the bad press.   Of course this was in the US, so maybe its a completely  different circumstance given the CA rules quoted above.

Also, still trying to decipher what enter your information in ArrivCan "within 72 hours before embarkation of your cruise" (or flight) really means.  Does it mean anytime within the 72 hours to 1 hour before your cruise/flight, or is it sometime before the 72 hour clock starts.  So 4 or 5 days or more before your cruise/flight?  Bottom line, if my cruise departs at 4:30 PM on Wednesday, July 13, what is within 72 hours window to enter the required ArrivCan trip details?

Thanks,

Steven

In reply to your first question, the key issue is when the test is taken, and the section of the requirements that you have quoted provides the answer:

If you test positive while on your cruise

So if you disembark and then test positive, the cruiseline is not responsible. They are well aware of that, and some are taking steps to avoid having passengers tested while still aboard. Celebrity, for example, sells eMed test kits to any passengers wanting one, but will only hand them out to the passengers once they have disembarked. 

As for your second question, you have a 72-hour window prior to boarding your cruise within which to submit your information. So using your example, if you will be boarding at 1:30 PM, the window is any time between Sunday, July 10, at 1:30 PM and the time you board. Just bear in mind that you can enter most of your information at any time, even weeks earlier, but you can only submit it within the 72-hour window.

• Like 2

I think it prudent to board with test kits that can be proctored. Administer the test the day before disembarkation when the ship is at sea. The written test report will then have a date and time stamp that confirms one tested positive / (hopefully) negative while onboard. A positive test can then be reported prior to disembarkation so that the cruise line can make appropriate arrangements.

If one is fully vaccinated, not experiencing symptoms, and travelling within Canada there is no need to test or quarantine.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, broberts said:

I think it prudent to board with test kits that can be proctored. Administer the test the day before disembarkation when the ship is at sea. The written test report will then have a date and time stamp that confirms one tested positive / (hopefully) negative while onboard. A positive test can then be reported prior to disembarkation so that the cruise line can make appropriate arrangements.

If one is fully vaccinated, not experiencing symptoms, and travelling within Canada there is no need to test or quarantine.

FOREMCO/BROBERTS:

Thanks for the info/advice.  Have not tried Shipboard Internet. but heard it is often spotty.  Do you think the WiFi signal will be strong enough to take the online EMED proctored test (usually takes 20-30 minutes)?  We will be on the HAL Neiuw Amsterdam, returning from a Land/Sea Journey, and will be doing the Inside Passage Southbound the day before arrival in Vancouver.  Will have to check and see if they offer just a 1-day or 100 minutes internet option for the day prior to disembarkation as I won't need it for anything else. 

I do have T-Mobile, but I'm not sure if a one-day international pass will have enough bandwidth for a video call.

If I understand the US one-day before flight testing requirement, it can be taken anytime the day prior, so hypothetically, as early as 12:01AM  on the 30th, if our flight is at 10:30PM on the 31st (almost 46 hours before flight) if playing the clock. 

Thanks Again!!!

50 minutes ago, CaribbeanSteve said:

FOREMCO/BROBERTS:

Thanks for the info/advice.  Have not tried Shipboard Internet. but heard it is often spotty.  Do you think the WiFi signal will be strong enough to take the online EMED proctored test (usually takes 20-30 minutes)?  We will be on the HAL Neiuw Amsterdam, returning from a Land/Sea Journey, and will be doing the Inside Passage Southbound the day before arrival in Vancouver.  Will have to check and see if they offer just a 1-day or 100 minutes internet option for the day prior to disembarkation as I won't need it for anything else. 

I do have T-Mobile, but I'm not sure if a one-day international pass will have enough bandwidth for a video call.

If I understand the US one-day before flight testing requirement, it can be taken anytime the day prior, so hypothetically, as early as 12:01AM  on the 30th, if our flight is at 10:30PM on the 31st (almost 46 hours before flight) if playing the clock. 

Thanks Again!!!

One option would be to get your T-Mobile international pass and do your test early on the morning of your arrival in Vancouver. You will have good cell service an hour or two before disembarkation starts, so you should have your results in plenty of time to advise the ship should you test positive.

As to the timing of the test with respect to a flight home, before boarding a flight to the United States, you are required to show a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 1 day before travel. As you say, as early as 12:01AM on the 30th for a flight at any time on the 31st. 

• Like 1

Hello,  looking for clarification on my scenario coming up next month.  US citizen driving to Canada Place for a RT cruise to AK. I have already downloaded the app and created my account,  easy. Do I need to create 2 trips forms,  one for the border crossing and one to embark? Lastly,  only 1 can be created at a time if I have been told correctly.  So do I need to delete the first one after crossing the border,  and then make a new one to embark? Thanks in advance for your help!

19 minutes ago, nw gardener said:

Hello,  looking for clarification on my scenario coming up next month.  US citizen driving to Canada Place for a RT cruise to AK. I have already downloaded the app and created my account,  easy. Do I need to create 2 trips forms,  one for the border crossing and one to embark? Lastly,  only 1 can be created at a time if I have been told correctly.  So do I need to delete the first one after crossing the border,  and then make a new one to embark? Thanks in advance for your help!

Yes, you will need two separate submissions. But when you delete your first one, all of the biodata such as proof of vaccination will be retained, so all you need to do is enter the trip information and check off  who is travelling. Very quick and easy.

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Yes, you will need two separate submissions. But when you delete your first one, all of the biodata such as proof of vaccination will be retained, so all you need to do is enter the trip information and check off  who is travelling. Very quick and easy.

Thank you for the quick response,  that is what I thought. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

So, we are taking the Princess Shuttle from Seattle to Vancouver and will board the ship there for our round trip cruise.  For our ArriveCan we will fill in the information showing what time we will be crossing the border (approx time) and then you are saying we will need another ArriveCan for when we board the ship a few hours later????  If this is so, this is the first I have heard of this.  Please correct me if I am not understanding correctly.

26 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

So, we are taking the Princess Shuttle from Seattle to Vancouver and will board the ship there for our round trip cruise.  For our ArriveCan we will fill in the information showing what time we will be crossing the border (approx time) and then you are saying we will need another ArriveCan for when we board the ship a few hours later????  If this is so, this is the first I have heard of this.  Please correct me if I am not understanding correctly.

You have understood correctly. You make your first submission for your initial entry into Canada on the shuttle. You can submit your information up to 72 hours in advance of your arrival at the border.

The second submission is required as you will be entering Canada again at the conclusion of your cruise, having visited Alaska. If you were cruising from Vancouver on a one-way sailing to Hawaii, this second submission would not be required.

As I said above, your biodata will be saved when you delete the first trip's information. Inputting the information for the cruise should be very quick and easy.

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

You have understood correctly. You make your first submission for your initial entry into Canada on the shuttle. You can submit your information up to 72 hours in advance of your arrival at the border.

The second submission is required as you will be entering Canada again at the conclusion of your cruise, having visited Alaska. If you were cruising from Vancouver on a one-way sailing to Hawaii, this second submission would not be required.

As I said above, your biodata will be saved when you delete the first trip's information. Inputting the information for the cruise should be very quick and easy.

I ask your patience as I ask another question.  Like I said, no one has EVER mentioned this to me nor have I read anything about a second submittal so I am a little foggy.  The first submission will work for me being shuttled over the border and for embarkation on the ship.  The second submission will have to be done within 72 hours of arriving back into Vancouver?  FYI, I will not be flying out of Vancouver, I will be taking the shuttle back to Seattle from Vancouver (Canada Place).

2 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

I ask your patience as I ask another question.  Like I said, no one has EVER mentioned this to me nor have I read anything about a second submittal so I am a little foggy.  The first submission will work for me being shuttled over the border and for embarkation on the ship.  The second submission will have to be done within 72 hours of arriving back into Vancouver?  FYI, I will not be flying out of Vancouver, I will be taking the shuttle back to Seattle from Vancouver (Canada Place).

Like having to show your passport at check in, you'll need to have completed your submission and have your receipt to show at check in. That way the cruiseline knows that you'll meet the Canadian requirements. Trust but verify. 

If you will be using the Arrive Canada app on a mobile device,  you'll have lots of time after crossing the border to make your second submission and get your receipt before arriving at the cruise terminal.

This link provides a lot of information, but don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions. For every person who asks a question, there are probably ten others who are waiting for the answer! :classic_smile:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Like having to show your passport at check in, you'll need to have completed your submission and have your receipt to show at check in. That way the cruiseline knows that you'll meet the Canadian requirements. Trust but verify. 

If you will be using the Arrive Canada app on a mobile device,  you'll have lots of time after crossing the border to make your second submission and get your receipt before arriving at the cruise terminal.

This link provides a lot of information, but don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions. For every person who asks a question, there are probably ten others who are waiting for the answer! :classic_smile:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

Thank you.  I will not be using the Arrive Canada app on my mobile device as my phone does not work in Canada.  I will do the ArriveCan for the border crossing on my desktop before I leave home.  After I print out the QR code, can I do another ArriveCan application on my desktop to take with me to present at embarkation for the ship?  For the ArriveCan application 72 hrs prior to returning to Vancouver I can do that on the ship's computer.

44 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Thank you.  I will not be using the Arrive Canada app on my mobile device as my phone does not work in Canada.  I will do the ArriveCan for the border crossing on my desktop before I leave home.  After I print out the QR code, can I do another ArriveCan application on my desktop to take with me to present at embarkation for the ship?  For the ArriveCan application 72 hrs prior to returning to Vancouver I can do that on the ship's computer.

You *might* be able to do your second ArriveCAN from home, as you have a more generous 96 hour window pre-cruising check-in, but I believe that the app only allows a single 'live' entry at a time - entering a second before you actually get to the border might invalidate the first one! Desktop and Mobile apps do seem to be different behind-the-scenes - you cannot begin an entry on one and complete it on the other - so using the App to do your Land Bus arrival and the Desktop to do your Marine Cruise arrival then printing it to bring with you might work... you can verify after trying it by loading the App back up and checking if your original land travel is still there.

Note that it is 100% verified by multiple reports, not just theory, that the cruiseline will not let you board without a complete ArriveCAN if it's needed for that cruise! Carnival let some folks on in Seattle, had them complete it onboard, and got a big fat fine for their troubles - if you check over in West Coast you'll see a busy thread from Ferry-Watcher confirming that no you cannot even walk inside the terminal until you have your ArriveCAN receipt! So ship computer will not work - the 72hr limit is not a clock running backward from your first Canadian port, it's a clock that counts back from your embarkation.

So - if your RT is a true loop, sold only that way rather than a Northbound and Southbound B2B combo, you will DEFINITELY need to complete your second ArriveCAN before you board here in Vancouver. If it's a B2B, then you might be able to board without it - but you'll need to complete it during turnaround before you can re-embark for the southbound leg. This point, about whether b2Bs are being treated as single cruises or not by Canadian authorities for ArriveCAN pruposes, I've yet to see any reports confirming Yea or Nay on - I've only seen folks reporting about their Northbound Only experience. There might be reports I've missed, but Searching on this topic is... messy to say the least, with so many results to wade through.

Worst-case, if you cannot have 2 'live' entries premade from home using the desktop and mobile versions, do be aware that you do not need phone data to use the App - any smartphone able to run it has WiFi, and there's a free Vancouver City run WiFi service that you can usually find a signal for all over downtown (look for #VanWiFi as the network broadcast ID). Plus of course all the free WiFi at Starbucks, etc. In other words, you definitely have options locally to use your phone without having to pay roaming data charges - and if your phone company is one that simply does not operate up here, like Tracphone, there's not even a risk of you failing to turn off the right options and being billed! if you could use it here and just choose not to, make sure you know where to find your Roaming settings and turn them all off to avoid any problems - you want to just have the WiFi enabled for the App.

52 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Just to be clear, you will need to present your second receipt at check in, before you embark, so you won't be able to use a ship's computer to enter or submit your information.

On the question of submitting your first trip information, getting your receipt, then submitting the information for your cruise, it's my understanding that you can only have one active submission at a time. Consequently, if you enter the information for the cruise, you wipe out the land entry submission and it will not appear on the CBSA computer system. Whether they would be concerned if you have a printed receipt in hand I really don't know, but do you really want to hold up a shuttle bus full of passengers while they sort it all out?

Personally, whenever I travel to the US, I get a daily roaming package for my cell phone. Very inexpensive and well worth the few dollars. You might want to consider doing the same if your provider offers a day rate. Alternatively, you could wait until you arrive at the port and look for free wifi. Lots of it available in the area.

martincath and Fouremco -- Thank you both for your help, I appreciate it.  For some, I know this whole ArriveCan app is no big deal.  But for someone that is not tech savy like myself, it is.  If I did not have so much $$$ invested in this 14-day cruise (not a booked as a B2B but a 14-day Princess cruise) I would cancel this whole thing.  We have taken this itinerary many times but this year it is so painful to go through all the hoops --- just venting here. 

15 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

martincath and Fouremco -- Thank you both for your help, I appreciate it.  For some, I know this whole ArriveCan app is no big deal.  But for someone that is not tech savy like myself, it is.  If I did not have so much $$$ invested in this 14-day cruise (not a booked as a B2B but a 14-day Princess cruise) I would cancel this whole thing.  We have taken this itinerary many times but this year it is so painful to go through all the hoops --- just venting here. 

No worries, COVID has had us all venting at one time or another. In your case, just be thankful that you will be taking the shuttle back to the US and don't need a negative test to do so. So many posts from US residents who were either unaware of the CDC requirement when flying to the US, or who were aware but their cruiseline decided recently to no longer provide tests.

Once you are aboard, all this will be forgotten and you can enjoy a lovely cruise!

• Thanks 1

Fouremco:  So, I thought I would try to see if I could download the ArriveCAN app on my Samsung Android and the version shows the update as April 21, 2022.  However, I believe the website information said to use the latest version which is April 25, 2022.  Any thoughts?

23 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Fouremco:  So, I thought I would try to see if I could download the ArriveCAN app on my Samsung Android and the version shows the update as April 21, 2022.  However, I believe the website information said to use the latest version which is April 25, 2022.  Any thoughts?

The most recent version available for Android phones is version 2.28.7, released on April 21, 2022. Keep an eye out for future updates, but you have the most recent version currently.

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

The most recent version available for Android phones is version 2.28.7, released on April 21, 2022. Keep an eye out for future updates, but you have the most recent version currently.

Finally, something has gone right for me! 🙂Final question for you, I hope....I have a profile for my husband and myself on my desktop.  Since I will now be switching to a mobile phone I assume I will have to delete the information on my desktop and open up a new ArriveCAN account on my mobile phone and upload all the information again --- correct?

8 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Finally, something has gone right for me! 🙂Final question for you, I hope....I have a profile for my husband and myself on my desktop.  Since I will now be switching to a mobile phone I assume I will have to delete the information on my desktop and open up a new ArriveCAN account on my mobile phone and upload all the information again --- correct?

If you have set up an account using the ArriveCAN online website, you should be able to use the same name and password with the mobile app and have access to whatever information you entered online. While in the early days the two weren't synchronized, they are now. Give it a try and see what happens.

36 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

If you have set up an account using the ArriveCAN online website, you should be able to use the same name and password with the mobile app and have access to whatever information you entered online. While in the early days the two weren't synchronized, they are now. Give it a try and see what happens.

It worked, everything was there.  Thank you for your patience and kindness in responding to all my questions, I appreciate it.

• Like 2