ARRIVCAN Question

loving goldens

4 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

It worked, everything was there.  Thank you for your patience and kindness in responding to all my questions, I appreciate it.

You're very welcome. I've learned a great deal from CC over the years,  so I'm always happy to contribute when I can. Don't hesitate to ask if more questions arise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RECENT COVID/RECOVERY CERTIFICATE:

So unfortunately one of the people in my party just got COVID. So apparently Canada will allow passengers to embark on a cruise with a Positive PCR Test if taken within 180 days of the trip, and the US will allow air travelers to return to America with a COVID RECOVERY CERTIFICATE/LETTER from a medical source if COVID Positive with 90 days of the flight.  However, HAL is more onerous as it does not appear to allow either to board a ship in Canada. It still requires a PCR test or Rapid Antigen test, even though either can result in a false positive result, per the CDC, if taken with 90 days of getting COVID.

Our cruise is in 60 days, so this is worrying.

Anyone know why HAL is more burdensome then Canada, which could result in denial to board with a false positive result?  Hope there is a workaround or relaxation of the testing requirement in the next month or so commensurate with Canada’s rules.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/Health_Sanitation/2022/0504-alaska-canada-health-protocols.pdf

Best,

Steven

1 hour ago, CaribbeanSteve said:

Anyone know why HAL is more burdensome then Canada, which could result in denial to board with a false positive result?  Hope there is a workaround or relaxation of the testing requirement in the next month or so commensurate with Canada’s rules.

While cruiselines are obliged to meet the minimum standards of the regulations established by the GOC, there is nothing preventing them from establishing regulations that are even more restrictive. Why HAL has chosen not to accept certificates of recovery is open to speculation, as is the possibility of them changing their related regulations. 

7 minutes ago, Senga said:

New version available today so, if you’ve already downloaded the app, be sure to update.

What is the version number --- asking because I am not showing an update notice to the app.  Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

What is the version number --- asking because I am not showing an update notice to the app.  Thanks.

Apple: 2.29.6

Android: 2.29.9

Edited to add that I've not used an Android device, but if you go to GooglePlay, the new version is available for download.

Edited by Fouremco
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Fouremco said:

Apple: 2.29.6

Android: 2.29.9

As always, thank you.  When I looked at the apps on my phone it didn't show anything --- within a few seconds, it showed an update for 2.29.9.  I am now up-to-date. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

As always, thank you.  When I looked at the apps on my phone it didn't show anything --- within a few seconds, it showed an update for 2.29.9.  I am now up-to-date. 

Terrific! 🤗

• Like 1

I’m playing with the ArriveCAN app before our cruise in a couple of weeks. I’ve gotten to the page that asks In the last 14 days did you or anyone travelling with you visit any other countries besides Canada?  Is this referring to the 14 days before we get on the ship (no) or the time that we’re on the cruise ship (Alaska, so US)? 

18 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

I’m playing with the ArriveCAN app before our cruise in a couple of weeks. I’ve gotten to the page that asks In the last 14 days did you or anyone travelling with you visit any other countries besides Canada?  Is this referring to the 14 days before we get on the ship (no) or the time that we’re on the cruise ship (Alaska, so US)? 

The explanation above the question indicates 14 days prior to entry which I would take to mean the 14 days prior to the first Canadian port following the last foreign port.

1652664295878.thumb.jpg.0f46ceba8988c3f038c8fa658d7a022d.jpg

Edited by broberts

10 minutes ago, broberts said:

The explanation above the question indicates 14 days prior to entry which I would take to mean the 14 days prior to the first Canadian port following the last foreign port.

Thanks! That’s what I figured, but then I started to second guess myself. 🙂 

I filled out the ArriveCan app for myself and my wife for a recent cruise from Los Angeles to Vancouver, with our first Canadian port of entry being Victoria. The ship’s newsletter informed us to present our ArriveCan QR code at the gangway to get off the ship. No one ever asked for this, nor did we even see a CBP officer to check it. We just walked out the doors of the disembarkation building. 

As an aside, the US border is about a 20 minute drive from our house. If I just want to go across on my own to get gas, do I have to remove my wife’s name from the app, and if I do this will I lose all her vax records and Nexus information already entered for her. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, redtop101 said:

I filled out the ArriveCan app for myself and my wife for a recent cruise from Los Angeles to Vancouver, with our first Canadian port of entry being Victoria. The ship’s newsletter informed us to present our ArriveCan QR code at the gangway to get off the ship. No one ever asked for this, nor did we even see a CBP officer to check it. We just walked out the doors of the disembarkation building. 

As an aside, the US border is about a 20 minute drive from our house. If I just want to go across on my own to get gas, do I have to remove my wife’s name from the app, and if I do this will I lose all her vax records and Nexus information already entered for her. 

Traveller information is retained between submissions. When you create a new trip, at the point of entering traveller data you will be presented with a list of travellers. Just select the travellers on that trip. Easy peasy.🙂

• Thanks 2

Fouremco/broberts and others:

This thread has been very helpful in allowing me to get a better handle on the ArriveCan process. I thank you for the time that several of you have invested in understanding this process and then sharing that understanding with those of us (like myself) who are trying to sort thru this. So my situation:

First, we don't embark till Aug. 27th and I know that a lot can change between now and then. But with final payment approaching, I want to ensure that I can ,and am willing to, deal with the different processes in place at the moment. (in case they don't change).

We embark Aug 27th in Boston for B2B of: Boston to Quebec City and then QC back to Boston.

So, as I understand it,  we fill out ahead of time all the bio info into ArriveCan and then within 72 hours of embarkation we enter trip info and submit the application. No testing result info is needed to submit this and get our codes....since the ship leaves at 5pm ET on Saturday, we can do this submission starting at 5pmET on Wednesday? Got to watch the time zone thing here since it is 72hrs and not 3 days, correct?...so this gets us onboard in the USA.

Then: 1st port is next day in Maine,; 2nd port is in St John NB Canada approximately 36 hours after departing Boston at 5pm, ......I am thinking we will have to submit a second time  on our trip info for actually arriving in Canada before we get to St john NB Can...is this correct?

If so, we could start that second submission sometime immediately after boarding, correct?

We then stay in Canadian waters/ports for the next 19 days, so theoretically no more ArriveCan entries.

As for the B2B part of submitting ArriveCan again at QC, no one seems to know yet just how CAN GOV is looking at this??

On a separate note, no one seems to know if CAN GOV is going to require a retest for the second leg either, ??

I tend to get detailed so apologize for the length of this. Just ensuring I have a handle on it at this point.

Thank you

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, triiip42 said:

I am thinking we will have to submit a second time  on our trip info for actually arriving in Canada before we get to St john NB Can...is this correct?

No, your submission before embarkation will get you into Canada, even if many days later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, triiip42 said:

So, as I understand it,  we fill out ahead of time all the bio info into ArriveCan and then within 72 hours of embarkation we enter trip info and submit the application. No testing result info is needed to submit this and get our codes....since the ship leaves at 5pm ET on Saturday, we can do this submission starting at 5pmET on Wednesday? Got to watch the time zone thing here since it is 72hrs and not 3 days, correct?...so this gets us onboard in the USA.

Correct.

15 minutes ago, triiip42 said:

Then: 1st port is next day in Maine,; 2nd port is in St John NB Canada approximately 36 hours after departing Boston at 5pm, ......I am thinking we will have to submit a second time  on our trip info for actually arriving in Canada before we get to St john NB Can...is this correct?

No further submission is required.  The first submission is all you need.

16 minutes ago, triiip42 said:

As for the B2B part of submitting ArriveCan again at QC, no one seems to know yet just how CAN GOV is looking at this??

Current reports state that an ArriveCAN submission prior to boarding a ship in Canada, which does not end in Canada, are not required.

17 minutes ago, triiip42 said:

On a separate note, no one seems to know if CAN GOV is going to require a retest for the second leg either, ??

Go by what your specific cruise line requirements are for a B2B.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, triiip42 said:

Fouremco/broberts and others:

This thread has been very helpful in allowing me to get a better handle on the ArriveCan process. I thank you for the time that several of you have invested in understanding this process and then sharing that understanding with those of us (like myself) who are trying to sort thru this. So my situation:

First, we don't embark till Aug. 27th and I know that a lot can change between now and then. But with final payment approaching, I want to ensure that I can ,and am willing to, deal with the different processes in place at the moment. (in case they don't change).

We embark Aug 27th in Boston for B2B of: Boston to Quebec City and then QC back to Boston.

If so, we could start that second submission sometime immediately after boarding, correct?

We then stay in Canadian waters/ports for the next 19 days, so theoretically no more ArriveCan entries.

I tend to get detailed so apologize for the length of this. Just ensuring I have a handle on it at this point.

Thank you

Your initial pre-embarkation ArriveCAN submission will suffice for the duration of the cruise.

For your turnaround in Quebec City, Transport Canada in a revised Ship Safety Bulletin dated May 6, 2022, stated the following:

• Evidence of a negative COVID-19 molecular test (e.g. PCR test) – performed on a specimen collected from the person no more than 72 hours prior to their initial boarding of the cruise ship.

While they don't mention b2b cruises specifically, I believe that they are stating that you must provide the test result prior to your initial boarding in Boston, and not at any later point during your continued time aboard that ship. As I've noted previously, the release of this bulletin and the announcement by various cruiselines that they would no longer provide tests to b2b passengers were virtually  simultaneous, further supporting my contention that this is exactly what Transport Canada was intending.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, triiip42 said:

Thank you all for your responses/feedback. Helps us quite a bit.

Now we will see where this is all at in August.

This morning, someone posted their ArriveCAN experience cruising from a US port to Vancouver. (Sorry, don't recall the thread.) They had to present their ArriveCAN QR code at check-in and were advised that it would have to be presented disembarking at the first Canadian stop. Apparently CBSA did not ask to see the QR at the first Canadian port of call.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, broberts said:

This morning, someone posted their ArriveCAN experience cruising from a US port to Vancouver. (Sorry, don't recall the thread.) They had to present their ArriveCAN QR code at check-in and were advised that it would have to be presented disembarking at the first Canadian stop. Apparently CBSA did not ask to see the QR at the first Canadian port of call.

40 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

CBSA clears passengers from the manifest and customs declaration.  They only want to see you if something comes up.  

The poster in question stated that "The ship’s newsletter informed us to present our ArriveCan QR code at the gangway to get off the ship." It sounds like a bit of confusion on the ship's part. The passenger manifest has the passport information for all passengers, and the ArriveCAN submission is linked to each passenger's passport. Consequently, there wouldn't be any need for CBSA to check passengers' ArriveCAN receipt when going ashore.

1 hour ago, jhenry1 said:

If we just have a connecting flight in Toronto do we need to do the Arrive Canada forms? We will not leave the airport for our connecting flight.

Connecting from where to where?