ARRIVCAN Question

loving goldens

15 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

We are back.  Just wanted to say thank you so much for all your patience in helping me through the ArriveCan process.  Everything went smoothly without issues thanks to your guidance.  The only place  I physically had to show the app receipt was at the Seattle Airport for our flight from Seattle to Vancouver; our boarding pass was stamped "verified" by the counter personnel.  Long lines for people who did not fill out the app ahead of time --- felt sorry for the counter personnel.  Hopefully, the app will be a thing of the past next year.  Two Seattle to Seattle cruises (on different lines) with a stop in Victoria are planned for this August.  So, I guess I fill be filling out the app again.

Wonderful, I'm happy to hear that all went well and that you are now an ArriveCAN pro! 😇

As for next year, there's an ongoing battle right now between those who would like to see it dropped immediately and those elements in government that want to build on it as a customs and immigration tool. I've no prediction on how that will play out. 🤷‍♂️ 

16 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Wonderful, I'm happy to hear that all went well and that you are now an ArriveCAN pro! 😇

As for next year, there's an ongoing battle right now between those who would like to see it dropped immediately and those elements in government that want to build on it as a customs and immigration tool. I've no prediction on how that will play out. 🤷‍♂️ 

Speaking of next year, I have a question for you assuming ArriveCAN will still be used.  We will be taking an unusual itinerary for our Alaska cruise out of and returning to Vancouver.  We will fly into Vancouver so I know I will have to do an ArriveCAN for our flight.  Next, we will board the ship but not too sure how to handle our next ArriveCAN.  Our ship boards in Vancouver, has a port visit in Victoria and then returns back to Vancouver.  So, would I only fill out one ArriveCAN for our entire cruise or would it be two for our cruise (one showing the Victoria arrival date and then one showing the date we return back into the Vancouver.) I know it is hard to predict the future but just when I thought I had things figured out, I am now stumped again on the ArriveCAN requirements for this new itinerary.

32 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Speaking of next year, I have a question for you assuming ArriveCAN will still be used.  We will be taking an unusual itinerary for our Alaska cruise out of and returning to Vancouver.  We will fly into Vancouver so I know I will have to do an ArriveCAN for our flight.  Next, we will board the ship but not too sure how to handle our next ArriveCAN.  Our ship boards in Vancouver, has a port visit in Victoria and then returns back to Vancouver.  So, would I only fill out one ArriveCAN for our entire cruise or would it be two for our cruise (one showing the Victoria arrival date and then one showing the date we return back into the Vancouver.) I know it is hard to predict the future but just when I thought I had things figured out, I am now stumped again on the ArriveCAN requirements for this new itinerary.

Your port of entry is the first stop in Canada (assuming Victoria).  If Vancouver is the disembarkation port immediately following Victoria, you only need the one ArriveCAN submission.  (Victoria)

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Your port of entry is the first stop in Canada (assuming Victoria).  If Vancouver is the disembarkation port immediately following Victoria, you only need the one ArriveCAN submission.  (Victoria)

And if Victoria happens before Alaska, with a return to Vancouver, you don't need one for Victoria, and Vancouver would be your port of entry.

• Like 1

Victoria is our first entry port for ArriveCan purposes.  The app gives two choices, Ogden Point, piers A and B or Victoria operations.  Any advice on which one to select or does it matter? Thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, netpj said:

Victoria is our first entry port for ArriveCan purposes.  The app gives two choices, Ogden Point, piers A and B or Victoria operations.  Any advice on which one to select or does it matter? Thanks in advance.

At the top of the screen collecting the port information is a help bubble, marine ports of entry. Select that help then Cruise ship operations. Only Ogden Point is listed. If you select that entry you will see Cruise Ship Operations in Services.

I have a  question regarding difficulties accessing ArriveCan within 72 hours of a return to Canada.

We recently had an Alaska cruise - Vancouver to Vancouver - and had no difficulties with ArriveCan. We do not have smart-phones and found the on-line version easy.  During the voyage on the Queen Elizabeth I tried to access ArriveCan using the ship's desk-top computers. I had no reason to do this other than curiosity but we will need it on the Queen Mary 2 in early October.  I could never connect - the circle went round and round on my attempts over three days. I sent an e-mail to ArriveCan and received a reply (after we got home!) saying it was a problem with Cunard's internet. I had no problem connecting to any other site, including e-mail.

Our next voyage is one-way Québec to NY with an immediate return to Canada by air. I know I don't need to complete ArriveCan for this one-way sea voyage. But if I can't connect to ArriveCan within 72 hours how can I complete this for the flight? Closer to the trip I can contact ArriveCan for advice, but I wonder if anyone has suggestions so I can plan well in advance. 

32 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

I have a  question regarding difficulties accessing ArriveCan within 72 hours of a return to Canada.

We recently had an Alaska cruise - Vancouver to Vancouver - and had no difficulties with ArriveCan. We do not have smart-phones and found the on-line version easy.  During the voyage on the Queen Elizabeth I tried to access ArriveCan using the ship's desk-top computers. I had no reason to do this other than curiosity but we will need it on the Queen Mary 2 in early October.  I could never connect - the circle went round and round on my attempts over three days. I sent an e-mail to ArriveCan and received a reply (after we got home!) saying it was a problem with Cunard's internet. I had no problem connecting to any other site, including e-mail.

Our next voyage is one-way Québec to NY with an immediate return to Canada by air. I know I don't need to complete ArriveCan for this one-way sea voyage. But if I can't connect to ArriveCan within 72 hours how can I complete this for the flight? Closer to the trip I can contact ArriveCan for advice, but I wonder if anyone has suggestions so I can plan well in advance. 

Assuming that you have a port stop within the 72-hour window before your flight, do some research pre-cruise to find an public library, internet café, or similar public access points that you pop into while ashore. Then, should you not be able to access ArriveCAN onboard the ship, you can do so during your port stop.

On 7/10/2022 at 10:48 AM, Fouremco said:

Assuming that you have a port stop within the 72-hour window before your flight, do some research pre-cruise to find an public library, internet café, or similar public access points that you pop into while ashore. Then, should you not be able to access ArriveCAN onboard the ship, you can do so during your port stop.

Thank you, Fouremco. We have a day in Halifax two days before the termination of the cruise in New York. I know Halifax well. The central library is not far from Pier 22. Although we don't have smart-phones I do have a tablet. I have seen a lot of people using wi-fi on the pier. (As the old saying goes: if you want to find free Wi-fi just follow the crew.) It is also available in the VIA Rail station across the street. Printing the confirmation could be a problem, so I will check with the library.

I have thought of another option: we can have our son complete ArriveCan for us and forward the e-mail confirmation to us. Hopefully the printer on the Queen Mary  2 is working.

It must be difficult for people on ships who don't have these options, such as those on an ocean crossing or a privately-owned vessel. We have read reports of some unusually obnoxious border officials who like to send people to quarantine even if they are not miscreants and have made every effort to comply.

58 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

Printing the confirmation could be a problem, so I will check with the library

Just take a screenshot of the confirmation with your tablet so you have access to it without requiring WiFi.  I have never printed an ArriveCAN confirmation; I just show the electronic receipt to whoever needs to see it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

Thank you, Fouremco. We have a day in Halifax two days before the termination of the cruise in New York. I know Halifax well. The central library is not far from Pier 22. Although we don't have smart-phones I do have a tablet. I have seen a lot of people using wi-fi on the pier. (As the old saying goes: if you want to find free Wi-fi just follow the crew.) It is also available in the VIA Rail station across the street. Printing the confirmation could be a problem, so I will check with the library.

I have thought of another option: we can have our son complete ArriveCan for us and forward the e-mail confirmation to us. Hopefully the printer on the Queen Mary  2 is working.

It must be difficult for people on ships who don't have these options, such as those on an ocean crossing or a privately-owned vessel. We have read reports of some unusually obnoxious border officials who like to send people to quarantine even if they are not miscreants and have made every effort to comply.

As a former Haligonian, I'd say that the library on Queen St. and VIA Rail are both excellent options, but Halifax has added free public wifi in a number of locations throughout the city. This includes all along the waterfront, so just walk North from the cruise port, past the Emigrant Statue, and you should get service as you start onto the boardwalk behind the Discovery Centre. https://www.halifax.ca/parks-recreation/parks-trails-gardens/parks-outdoor-spaces/public-wifi This is even closer than VIA Rail to access.

@*Miss G*'s point is a good one. There's no need for a print if you take a screenshot of the receipt.

2 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

GOC has taken into account difficulties with Wi-Fi on some marine vessels. From https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

"If you're travelling by a marine vessel other than a cruise ship, you must use ArriveCAN before or upon entering Canada. This is to accommodate for Wi-Fi issues on the water."

1 hour ago, silkismom said:

Maybe this has been answered before, but forgive my ignorance. We are flying from DEN-YVR, United says to fill out "ready to fly" is that the same as ArriveCan? or can I just do the Arrive?

Two separate apps. Ready To Fly is a United app, and I've no idea whether or not it is mandatory. Best to check on their website. ArriveCAN is a Canadian government app and is most definitely mandatory.

On 7/10/2022 at 6:41 AM, david,Mississauga said:

I returned from Barcelona with BA in May. To check in I needed a printed copy of the confirmation code. I just had a screen shot on my phone. The ArriveCan website was down so not due to the ship's internet. So this can happen. Eventually was able to print from my email receipt.

This morning returning to Vancouver from Seattle( from Alaska ) needed to do another ArriveCan entry for the land crossing. Yesterday had one for the marine entry in Victoria, obtained before boarding the ship in Seattle last week. I was able to use the ship free sites which include airlines etc.

We had our ArrivCan checked before flying out from the UK but nit after leaving the cruise (Alaska to Vancouver).

In fact, there wasnt even a security check at Vancouver, we just walked out

3 minutes ago, Nidec said:

We had our ArrivCan checked before flying out from the UK but nit after leaving the cruise (Alaska to Vancouver).

In fact, there wasnt even a security check at Vancouver, we just walked out

Presumably the cruise company was required to check your ArriveCAN before embarking in Alaska. If your cruise stopped in Victoria before arriving in Vancouver that would have been where you cleared immigration, and whether it was Victoria or Vancouver presumably the cruise line did the paperwork for you. 

1 minute ago, gnome12 said:

Presumably the cruise company was required to check your ArriveCAN before embarking in Alaska. If your cruise stopped in Victoria before arriving in Vancouver that would have been where you cleared immigration, and whether it was Victoria or Vancouver presumably the cruise line did the paperwork for you. 

No ArrivCan check by the ship. We flew from UK to Canada, crossed Canada, then boarded the ship. Lots of security/covid checks at Vancouver cruise terminal but by US customs as Alaska in US state.

Expected the same by Canadian customs upon return to Vancouver but there was nothing at all.

9 minutes ago, Nidec said:

No ArrivCan check by the ship. We flew from UK to Canada, crossed Canada, then boarded the ship. Lots of security/covid checks at Vancouver cruise terminal but by US customs as Alaska in US state.

Expected the same by Canadian customs upon return to Vancouver but there was nothing at all.

The ArriveCAN submission is linked to your passport and the ship is responsible for ensuring you have it.  They then send the manifest to the CBSA prior to entry and that’s when the documents/you are reviewed.  The only time they (CBSA) would want to speak with you is if there was a problem with your documentation or you had come to their attention in some other way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Makes me wonder if there should be QR scanners the people have to use before entry. That way they know the work done to complete ArriveCAN is being used. Apparently many think if they don't see it with own eyes, it isn't happening.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2022 at 2:14 PM, broberts said:

GOC has taken into account difficulties with Wi-Fi on some marine vessels. From https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

"If you're travelling by a marine vessel other than a cruise ship, you must use ArriveCAN before or upon entering Canada. This is to accommodate for Wi-Fi issues on the water."

The author of that paragraph obviously has an optimistic view of the quality of internet access on cruise ships. From my experience most times it is  very slow or difficult and from time to time it is complete rubbish.