ARRIVCAN Question

loving goldens

5 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Also, on the Arrivals page modified yesterday, it says one must provide proof of a valid pre-entry test result. I thought that ended?  Are they talking about the non-vaccinated?  
Confusion reigns. 

It seems like just plain old gross incompetence. I just double checked and the main Canadian government site clearly says you do not need testing. They are just too stupid to update the app.  It has to be confusing hundreds of thousands of travellers! 

Edited by Clovis8
  • Like 2

We are cruising to Alaska from Vancouver in May. As we will not likely buy ship internet, we will do our ArriveCan while onshore in Ketchikan, and use the web version.  I read 72 hours before, so assume that means no sooner than 72 hours, or does it mean no less than 72 hours. Can someone set us straight?

Looking forward to first cruise since Nov.  2019. It is the ArrivCan that has us tied in knots.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Clovis8 said:

It seems like just plain old gross incompetence. I just double checked and the main Canadian government site clearly says you do not need testing. They are just too stupid to update the up. It has to be confusing hundreds of thousands of travellers! 

Whoever is updating the ‘rules’ or whoever is approving the updating needs more sleep.  These are legalities that affect people’s lives and can render steep fines…yet someone is giving wrong information. It’s also confusing to those enforcing these new and updated regulations. 
Some good news, the CDC downgraded the threat of cruising yesterday…they don’t disapprove anymore. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gubby said:

We are cruising to Alaska from Vancouver in May. As we will not likely buy ship internet, we will do our ArriveCan while onshore in Ketchikan, and use the web version.  I read 72 hours before, so assume that means no sooner than 72 hours, or does it mean no less than 72 hours. Can someone set us straight?

Looking forward to first cruise since Nov.  2019. It is the ArrivCan that has us tied in knots.

My personal interpretation of the 72 hours is that one completes the ArriveCan within 72 hours of setting foot in Canada.  The reason I think that is because of the day trippers who venture into the US for a shopping trip, both leaving and returning within 24 hours. They have to complete the ArriveCan information too.  It wouldn’t make sense to complete the information 72 hours before they leave Canada.  But that’s just my interpretation.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gubby said:

It’s anytime within 72 hours. So can be the hour before theoretically but I would recommend as early as you can within that 72 hours. 

22 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Also, on the Arrivals page modified yesterday, it says one must provide proof of a valid pre-entry test result. I thought that ended?  Are they talking about the non-vaccinated?  
Confusion reigns. 

17 minutes ago, Clovis8 said:

It seems like just plain old gross incompetence. I just double checked and the main Canadian government site clearly says you do not need testing. They are just too stupid to update the app.  It has to be confusing hundreds of thousands of travellers! 

8 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Whoever is updating the ‘rules’ or whoever is approving the updating needs more sleep.  These are legalities that affect people’s lives and can render steep fines…yet someone is giving wrong information. It’s also confusing to those enforcing these new and updated regulations. 
Some good news, the CDC downgraded the threat of cruising yesterday…they don’t disapprove anymore. 

Unvaccinated people, e.g. children, still need a pre-entry test.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#children

It seems that many people immediately assume system error and don't consider user error.

Edited by broberts

1 minute ago, broberts said:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#children

It seems that many people immediately assume system error and don't consider user error.

That’s not what the app says right now. 

this is what it says. 

F5DB8FCC-8BD1-4299-9F3E-EA07D736DEB7.png

6 minutes ago, broberts said:

It is poorly explained. One has to drill down quite far to access their own personal situation.  Taking their instruction at surface levels doesn’t make it ‘user’ error…..consider that everyone reads and interprets differently and may not think like you do. The ‘rules’ can be better explained, IMHO.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html has been updated with specific cruise ship references. It now seems clear that one should submit the information before boarding. Cruise ships are explicitly excluded from the marine arrival wording that permitted submission upon arrival.

This suggests that only one ArriveCan submission has to be !add regardless of itinerary.

You'll need to submit your information within 72 hours:

• before your arrival to Canada
  • and/or before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada
If travelling by marine vessel other than a cruise ship

If you're travelling by a marine vessel other than a cruise ship, you must use ArriveCAN before or upon entering Canada. This is to accommodate for Wi-Fi issues on the water.

20 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

It is poorly explained. One has to drill down quite far to access their own personal situation.  Taking their instruction at surface levels doesn’t make it ‘user’ error…..consider that everyone reads and interprets differently and may not think like you do. The ‘rules’ can be better explained, IMHO.

That but also the app is plainly wrong. It forces you to agree to get tested. 

3 minutes ago, Clovis8 said:

That but also the app is plainly wrong. It forces you to agree to get tested. 

Are you using the latest version of the app?

You haven't provided any context. There are situations in which obtaining consent is clearly warranted. For example arriving by air, random arrival testing is still being done.

• Like 1

Update on how to fix app. 

you have to go into your AppStore. 
go to your previous purchases
Find ArriveCan app

force update

Then it removes the screen requiring you to agree to test. 

if you do not force app to update it does not show up..

80%+ of users will not know this. Lol not forcing an app update at the server side. 

Edited by Clovis8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Clovis8 said:

It’s anytime within 72 hours. So can be the hour before theoretically but I would recommend as early as you can within that 72 hours. 

We just drove home a couple of weeks ago from a 1 month vacation in Hilton Head and of course had to wait until we got the results of our (free) PCR test from Walgreens before we could send in the ArriveCAN report.  I think it was around the 48 hour mark.  Yes, it has to be sent in sometime within 72 hours of your arrival.

We are leaving for Vegas on Monday so I figured I'd open ArriveCAN on my Android device this morning just to take a peek.  I first checked via Play Store and no update was available for ArriveCAN.  I then launched ArriveCAN and logged in.  As soon as I did it prompted me to update ArriveCAN.  It the launched the Play Store but went right to the ArriveCAN inside Play Store.  I applied the update and testing requirements for inbound vaccinated travelers is not required.

On 4/1/2022 at 10:24 AM, SilvertoGold said:

Here is a question I can't find an answer to:

Canadians, boarding in Vancouver, R/T Alaska.

We are booked for 4 consecutive 7 day Alaska cruises (B-B-B-B), disembarking in Vancouver after 28 days on board.

So.....will we have to imput the ArriveCan arrival info for each of the 4 arrivals in Vancouver or for just the one arrival at the end of the 28 days when we disembark and go home?

This is a pretty unique situation, I doubt there are many who would book the same cruise 4 times back to back.

That being said you must be aware that you are leaving Canada  and returning to Canada on every cruise. You are crossing an international border every time. I would count on clearing customs for each leg of your trip.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

This is a pretty unique situation, I doubt there are many who would book the same cruise 4 times back to back.

That being said you must be aware that you are leaving Canada  and returning to Canada on every cruise. You are crossing an international border every time. I would count on clearing customs for each leg of your trip.

I wonder what happens if they are selected for the random Covid testing, when they are actually getting back onboard the ship?  Chances are slim they’d be selected but 4 B2Bs does increase the chances. 

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

I wonder what happens if they are selected for the random Covid testing, when they are actually getting back onboard the ship?  Chances are slim they’d be selected but 4 B2Bs does increase the chances. 

Random selections will only be applied to land and air arrivals. Cruise passengers are exempted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Random selections will only be applied to land and air arrivals. Cruise passengers are exempted.

But do they need an antigen test before each leg of the B-B-B-B?

8 hours ago, gnome12 said:

But do they need an antigen test before each leg of the B-B-B-B?

I'm guessing so.  I know Disney states on their website that back-to-back cruisers will have to test at the port before each boarding.  But Disney pays for and contracts this testing for every cruiser at the terminal before boarding, so it's easy for a cruiser to comply.  This seems troublesome if you need to find, book, and carry out your own test each time.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

There is of course also the possibility of testing positive between one of the cruises.

A number of CC members doing b2b cruises over the winter commented that they were extra careful during the first leg to minimize that possibility. With a b2b2b2b, it would be devastating to test positive during or at the end of the first leg.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

A number of CC members doing b2b cruises over the winter commented that they were extra careful during the first leg to minimize that possibility. With a b2b2b2b, it would be devastating to test positive during or at the end of the first leg.

Yup I was being very careful but I usually am anyway.  I only did a b2b because I'm still working.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

There is of course also the possibility of testing positive between one of the cruises.

If the test is done aboard ship, might the passenger merely be moved to quarantine?