ARRIVCAN Question

loving goldens

2 minutes ago, cantgetaname said:

I'll be flying from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale, catching a transatlantic cruise to Spain, then flying to the UK for a few days.   Is it going to be difficult filling out my information on arrivecan.   I've never had to use it before.

ArriveCAN is not difficult to use, but I suggest that you download it now if you haven't already done so and enter information for your trip, using a return to Canada date within the next 72 hours. If you use the actual date right now, it won't allow you to enter the information.

The app consists of two categories of information: trip details and biodata for you and your travel companion(s) if members of the same family. Your travel documents and biodata, which includes uploaded proof of vaccination, is retained for future trips, while the details of your trip you will need to replace with details of your next trip when the occasion arises.

Whether you take a day trip into the US or take a trip as you have described in your post, the information you enter is the same. As you must list all countries visited in the preceding 14 days, it will take you an extra few minutes to list all of those for your trip, but it's no more complex.

Give it a try, and I think that you will find it easier than you anticipate. Come back and ask here if you have any specific questions. 

I have a question about ArriveCan. Here is my situation:

Arrive in Canada via Cantrail bus.

3 days in Vancouver.

Cruise to Alaska on a B2B, returning to Vancouver for 3 more days.

I will need ArriveCan for entry into Canada, and then to return to Canada on the ship. Will I need it to board the ship in Vancouver?

Thank you for any help.

53 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

You do not need it to board the ship.  Only upon entry to Canada.

Information here  https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise 

Date modified: 2022-04-11

If you’re entering Canada to board a cruise ship:

• you’re required to use ArriveCAN prior to boarding your flight or before entering Canada by land and you may be selected to take an arrival test
  • if you’re entering Canada as part of an excursion during the cruise, you won’t be selected for arrival testing

Before boarding your cruise ship: all travellers must submit their embarkation information into ArriveCAN within 72 hours of boarding a cruise, including Canadians and those who just used ArriveCAN to enter Canada:

• in another country for a cruise that will enter Canada
  • in Canada
Edited by CdnCrooser

2 hours ago, MdmMim said:

I have a question about ArriveCan. Here is my situation:

Arrive in Canada via Cantrail bus.

3 days in Vancouver.

Cruise to Alaska on a B2B, returning to Vancouver for 3 more days.

I will need ArriveCan for entry into Canada, and then to return to Canada on the ship. Will I need it to board the ship in Vancouver?

Thank you for any help.

There is a difference of opinion on this issue, one that hopefully will be resolved  very soon now that the Alaska cruise season has started. But given the fact that it will only take a couple of minutes to enter and submit your information, why not be prepared to do so.

From another thread yesterday:

We are on Viking Orion as I write this. I guess we are in a rather unique situation in that the ship's first Canadian stop is in our home town so our "quarantine plan" is to go home. We completed our "details" in ArriveCan before we left home so the specific bits about the trip were a breeze it took me about 4 minutes using the ship's wifi. 

I am boarding a ship in LA with a stop in Victoria and ends in Vancouver. It is unclear to me if I need to complete the ArriveCAN app prior to boarding the ship in LA or prior to the port stop in Victoria.

Does anyone know the answer? 

Complete the ArriveCAN app before embarkation in LA.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise (updated April 11 2022)

Before boarding your cruise ship: all travellers must submit their embarkation information into ArriveCAN within 72 hours of boarding a cruise, including Canadians and those who just used ArriveCAN to enter Canada:

• in Canada
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CdnCrooser said:

Complete the ArriveCAN app before embarkation in LA.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise (updated April 11 2022)

• in Canada

Thank you! 

For a number of people on Viking Orion, including myself the rules were vague. We didn't start the voyage portion until 72 hours from entry. It got all goofy. I dud what I could and got the required QR code. Others on board are going nuts. For us it's a different story than many aboard we are Canadians literally getting off in our home town. 

We are flying in to Calgary from the UK, staying in Banff 2 days, 3-day train to Vancouver where we stay 3 days, then board ship for 7 day Alaska cruise which ends back in Vancouver for a flight home.

Where do we stand re arriveCan, quarantine plan etc?

If we get asked in Calgary, could we really give the ships port address as our quarantine plan address? Doesnt seem feasible since we would have to travel across Canada to get to it first.

1 hour ago, Nidec said:

We are flying in to Calgary from the UK, staying in Banff 2 days, 3-day train to Vancouver where we stay 3 days, then board ship for 7 day Alaska cruise which ends back in Vancouver for a flight home.

Where do we stand re arriveCan, quarantine plan etc?

If we get asked in Calgary, could we really give the ships port address as our quarantine plan address? Doesnt seem feasible since we would have to travel across Canada to get to it first.

You will have to make an ArriveCAN submission up to 72 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the flight leg to Calgary. I expect the Banff hotel address would be a suitable quarantine location.

Under current rules, you will have to make a subsequent ArriveCAN submission up to 72 hours prior to boarding for the Alaska cruise. You will also need to present a negative COVID test at embarkation. I believe the port address can be used as the quarantine location. See https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19.html.

Looks like a great vacation. Enjoy the scenery and wildlife.

Edited by broberts
  • Like 1

I thought I had ArriveCAN sussed but maybe not. We are going on a 2 night cruise next week - Vancouver/Seattle/Vancouver. I thought we would only have to submit ArriveCAN the day before embarkation. Is this right? Or will we have to submit it again the day before debarkation, i.e. when we're in Seattle? 

Thanks!

33 minutes ago, koolforkatz said:

I thought I had ArriveCAN sussed but maybe not. We are going on a 2 night cruise next week - Vancouver/Seattle/Vancouver. I thought we would only have to submit ArriveCAN the day before embarkation. Is this right? Or will we have to submit it again the day before debarkation, i.e. when we're in Seattle? 

Thanks!

My opinion….

You would complete only one ArriveCAN form up to 72 hours before boarding in Vancouver showing your return to Vancouver two days later as the arrival in Canada. ..but try it in the app to see if you can do this. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ByThePond said:

My opinion….

You would complete only one ArriveCAN form up to 72 hours before boarding in Vancouver showing your return to Vancouver two days later as the arrival in Canada. ..but try it in the app to see if you can do this. 

Thanks. I'm still at a loss how it works, but I guess our plan is okay then. We will test day before we get on ship. 

6 minutes ago, ByThePond said:

My opinion….

I just tried in the web app and it works. See attached pdf showing embarking in Canada and then disembarking in Vancouver 2 days later. 

Entry into Canada travel form - ArriveCAN.pdf

• Thanks 1

@Nidec, there's no easy answer to your question, as the developers of the ArriveCAN app and the related policy makers appear not to have taken itineraries such as yours into consideration.  Your train travel in particular poses a potential issue as you can't quarantine on the train.

To begin with, assuming that you are a fully vaccinated traveller randomly selected for a test, the policy states that "you can travel to your destination, including on connecting flights, without waiting for your arrival test results." Unfortunately, the policy provides no firm timing for you to receive your results, only a vague statement that "most travellers will be notified of their test result within 72 hours" if you are tested at the airport, or "Most travellers will be notified of their test result within 4 to 7 days" in the case of those given a self-swab kit. 

Should you be unlucky enough to be selected for random testing and the result is negative, you can simply continue on with your itinerary. If you are doubly unlucky and the result is positive, then the following applies:

You must isolate yourself from others immediately for a period of 10 days beginning on the day you tested positive for COVID-19, which is the day you took the test. A government representative will call you to provide additional details and instructions.

Banff appears to be the best bet to list for your quarantine. As I noted previously, you can't quarantine on the train, and your arrival in Vancouver is too late. You might want to reach out to your hotel to determine whether they can accommodate someone in quarantine and whether it would even be possible to extend the length of your stay.

As @broberts notes, you'll need a separate ArriveCAN submission within 72 hours of boarding your cruise, for which you will also need a negative antigen test taken within 2 days of embarkation.    

• Like 1

I've downloaded and saved our passport and vaccine info.  Had no significant problem doing so.  I understand the basics of ArriveCAN but I do have a question about B2B cruises starting in the USA.

Here's the situation:

We board/embark the Queen Elizabeth on May 14 in Fort Lauderdale.  Our first cruise ends in LA but we are staying on to Vancouver and then roundtrip Vancouver to Alaska.  We have 2 bookings [Fort Lauderdale to LA and LA to Vancouver inc. Alaska RT].  Neither booking starts in Vancouver.  However, the Alaska RT portion is also being sold as a separate sailing but we didn't book it that way. So, do I complete the ArriveCAN app & get a receipt 72 hrs. before we embark in Fort Lauderdale or do we wait until we are 72 hrs. from the start of the Alaska RT out of Vancouver on June 4?

If I can't get a clear answer, I'll probably do both.  My gut feeling is that it should be 72 hrs. before the start of the Alaska RT but, when I spoke with an ArriveCAN rep, he was totally at sea about what I should do.  The Cunard customer rep didn't know that ArriveCAN even existed.

30 minutes ago, Desert Cruisers said:

I've downloaded and saved our passport and vaccine info.  Had no significant problem doing so.  I understand the basics of ArriveCAN but I do have a question about B2B cruises starting in the USA.

Here's the situation:

We board/embark the Queen Elizabeth on May 14 in Fort Lauderdale.  Our first cruise ends in LA but we are staying on to Vancouver and then roundtrip Vancouver to Alaska.  We have 2 bookings [Fort Lauderdale to LA and LA to Vancouver inc. Alaska RT].  Neither booking starts in Vancouver.  However, the Alaska RT portion is also being sold as a separate sailing but we didn't book it that way. So, do I complete the ArriveCAN app & get a receipt 72 hrs. before we embark in Fort Lauderdale or do we wait until we are 72 hrs. from the start of the Alaska RT out of Vancouver on June 4?

If I can't get a clear answer, I'll probably do both.  My gut feeling is that it should be 72 hrs. before the start of the Alaska RT but, when I spoke with an ArriveCAN rep, he was totally at sea about what I should do.  The Cunard customer rep didn't know that ArriveCAN even existed.

In these early days of Alaskan cruises, with less than clear guidance from the GOC, we can only speculate.

Based on my interpretation of the regulations, in your case I'd say that it depends on your booking, or more precisely, do you  simply continue your cruise  at all the ports as you would with a normal B2B, or do you need to check in a second time at any port? If you only ever check in at Fort Lauderdale at the very beginning of the cruise, that's where you need to make your ArriveCAN submission. If you need to check in at another port, LA for example, then that would be the place to do it.

• Like 1

Thanks all for your help. Looking deeper, I have found the following;

IF we are selected randomly for testing, You can take connecting flights and trains without waiting for your arrival test resultssurprised at that, but gives us the option to move on to Banff and likely board Rocky Mountaineer for Vancouver before we get test results.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Desert Cruisers said:

Does anyone know if Canada accepts an observed rapid molecular NAAT test?  Many of the pharmacies are offering this instead of an observed rapid antigen test.

A molecular test is accepted if performed within 72 hours of boarding. It's buried in https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-april-1-2022. Types of acceptable molecular tests are listed in https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada.

• Like 1