Throw out the tux, give me luxury without the formality

cruiseny4life

Each to their own.

I have just never understood the concept of dressing up to eat.

As a fella I hate dressing up, and hate suits. 

Quick shave and shower and clean clothes and I am good to go.

Thankfully my wife cant be that  bothered with dressing up either.

She also doesnt get how folk spend so much time getting dressed whislt on holiday where every second counts.

We want to enjoy every second of our cruise. Spending hours getting dressed up isnt on the agenda. Just seems a bit stupid to me

But each to their own.

I dont own a suit any more and have no intention of buying one. And I have never worn a tuxedo. 

I took some button down shirt sleeve shirts on my last cruise and looked in the mirror. I swear I looked like my old man.

They have all gone in the bin.

Polo shirts only from now on.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Quick shave and shower and clean clothes and I am good to go.

The problem is that on our current cruise (Princess) quite a few passengers have not followed any of your suggestions !

The same grubby shirts and shorts are being worn from morning to night, day after day. 

I appreciate that we all have various ideas as to dress codes, but as you say, is it too hard to get showered and have a change of clothes ?

40 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I appreciate that we all have various ideas as to dress codes, but as you say, is it too hard to get showered and have a change of clothes ?

For a number of people it apparently is “too hard” — which is a primary reason for cruise ships having some sort of dress requirements.

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

The problem is that on our current cruise (Princess) quite a few passengers have not followed any of your suggestions !

The same grubby shirts and shorts are being worn from morning to night, day after day. 

Perhaps their luggage did not arrive with them.   They may be wearing the same grubby clothes because that's all they have.  And, who is to say the did not shower?  Who is it to say that someone with "clean" clothes on took a shower?  Someone on a schedule and is late may forego that shower.

• Like 1

I propose one venue, once on the cruise. Listen, they use a separate room for Bingo, Art Auctions, Chef's Table,  dancing lessons, Trivia.

Someone needs to find a cruise director who has the balls to have ONE night, where they're a seperate area of the dining room or adjacent to the dining room, for an elegant night, for people who want to sign up, wearing their fancy duds.. Why not ? THEY could figure out the logistics. IF not enough people participate, they can cancel it. 

1 hour ago, lyannea said:

I propose one venue, once on the cruise. Listen, they use a separate room for Bingo, Art Auctions, Chef's Table,  dancing lessons, Trivia.

Someone needs to find a cruise director who has the balls to have ONE night, where they're a seperate area of the dining room or adjacent to the dining room, for an elegant night, for people who want to sign up, wearing their fancy duds.. Why not ? THEY could figure out the logistics. IF not enough people participate, they can cancel it. 

This is a variation of the "if you don't want to dress up then eat in the buffet" mentality.  Passengers being banished to the further reaches of the dining room or ordered to some alternate venue to appease a few pretentious passengers who want to preen in their fancy duds is not going to happen.  

10 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Perhaps their luggage did not arrive with them.   They may be wearing the same grubby clothes because that's all they have.  And, who is to say the did not shower?  Who is it to say that someone with "clean" clothes on took a shower?  Someone on a schedule and is late may forego that shower.

After 4  or 5 days, most people would buy a new t shirt if their luggage was missing.

Similarly, not having a shower on one day because of your schedule is one thing, but after a number of days ? You only need to look at the lank greasy hair of some of these people to see that water is not their friend !

Makes as many excuses for them as you like, but some people are just slobs.

• Like 1

Some people that wear suits are slobs. Some very public figures. One very notable one in the UK.

It would worry me hugely to have to buy a shirt on the ship mind. Not sure wearing a shirt with the celebrity logo on it would be a good thing. Although I could have some fun with bolchy guests who think I am crew. The possibilities are endless with that one.

Still dont get those that want to spend hours dressing up in uncomfortable clothes just to eat. Especially fellas. 

I DO agree though that getting washed and being clean isnt a stretch for anyone. Or shouldnt be.

5 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Still dont get those that want to spend hours dressing up in uncomfortable clothes just to eat. Especially fellas. 

Stretch your mind a bit. Not everyone enjoys the same thing.

I know plenty of "fellas" who don't mind dressing up and don't think the clothes are uncomfortable. That doesn't mean that I can't accept the idea that there are (probably more) fellas that don't enjoy it. 

As to Boris, there's an old rule that says an exception or two does not negate an argument. I've been cruising for 45 years and in my experience there are far more slobs among those who do not  "dress up" than among those who do. 

On the other hand, it's clearly not an issue the cruise lines are willing to stake anything on, so I have moved on. Were I to be seated with someone whose grooming I truly could not stomach, I would politely excuse myself and go dine elsewhere. 

No doubt you are right.

I have always had an issue with ties, and top buttons. So much so, i struggle to sit near someone else wearing one and looking uncomfortable. Strange I know.

It was even a problem at work. Back in the day when fellas wore suits to work. Thankfully those days are rare. I once suggested a sales rep could remove his tie in a meeting, as we both looked uncomfortable.

I do still find it weird when I hear Fellas say they are looking forward to "dressing up". I know very few who do that. Very very few.

I did once say to my wife that I would take a suit if she put it in her case. She very quickly suggested I didnt need one lol.

She likes clothes, I like other stuff. Easy.

I did notice on Chic night, that we werent offered a photo, whilst the few really dressed up were, on the way into Blu.

Still, it was only Celebrity that missed out on a possible sale. We just took a selfie instead. Not that I look at photos afterwards. Still havent looked at them and have been back a week.

25 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Stretch your mind a bit. Not everyone enjoys the same thing.

I know plenty of "fellas" who don't mind dressing up and don't think the clothes are uncomfortable. That doesn't mean that I can't accept the idea that there are (probably more) fellas that don't enjoy it. 

As to Boris, there's an old rule that says an exception or two does not negate an argument. I've been cruising for 45 years and in my experience there are far more slobs among those who do not  "dress up" than among those who do. 

On the other hand, it's clearly not an issue the cruise lines are willing to stake anything on, so I have moved on. Were I to be seated with someone whose grooming I truly could not stomach, I would politely excuse myself and go dine elsewhere. 

Can you define dressing up in this context? With regards to slobs?

I would imagine most would be highly offended at being called a slob, if that context is merely for not wearing a suit.

Infact i would be hoying you overboard if you said that to my face.

2 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I would imagine most would be highly offended at being called a slob, if that context is merely for not wearing a suit.

Not getting drawn by you. I clearly made a distinction in my post between "dressing down" and being a slob. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not getting drawn by you. I clearly made a distinction in my post between "dressing down" and being a slob. 

The problem is that there are a number of people who are unable to grasp that distinction.  

Just as there are some who can only think of a “dress code” as necessarily requiring tuxedos or ball gowns.  Perhaps they have never seen (or are simply unable to comprehend the meaning of) that classic sign on a roadside diner : “No shirt, no shoes - no service”. 

5 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Her position is quite clear. There are "far more slobs among those who do not dress up." Should you not be dressed to the nines on "formal night" there is, in her view, a greater likelihood that you are a slob.

Another view is there are far more more judgmental and insufferable snobs among those who dress for dinner especially if they prefer the cruise line banish people from the MDR if they do not wear suits and ties or formal wear on fancy pants night. 

4 hours ago, K32682 said:

Should you not be dressed to the nines on "formal night" there is, in her view, a greater likelihood that you are a slob.

What line have you recently sailed that even had a "formal night"?  Do you not realize that you are fighting against an enemy which largely exists only in your imagination?

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The problem is that there are a number of people who are unable to grasp that distinction.  

Just as there are some who can only think of a “dress code” as necessarily requiring tuxedos or ball gowns.  Perhaps they have never seen (or are simply unable to comprehend the meaning of) that classic sign on a roadside diner : “No shirt, no shoes - no service”. 

Well I didnt say that. And I agree there are standards that any decent human would adhere to.

But she did make the distinction between those that dress up to the nines and the others being more likely to be slobs 

I happen to disagree, and quoted the very well known slob from the UK in a very prominent public position. That person should put people off wearing a suit ever again.

Clean and tidy with a decent deodorant is all I require.

No other distinction necessary 

Edited by DarrenM

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Perhaps they have never seen (or are simply unable to comprehend the meaning of) that classic sign on a roadside diner : “No shirt, no shoes - no service”. 

Another extreme example. Shirtless and shoeless denial are completely acceptable norms. Long pants and collared shirts on a weeklong vacation are outdated.

46 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Another extreme example. Shirtless and shoeless denial are completely acceptable norms. Long pants and collared shirts on a weeklong vacation are outdated.

Oh, I see.  Dress codes are unacceptable — UNLESS they conform to your personal preference.

Or, are you saying that on a two week cruise different rules should apply?

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

What line have you recently sailed that even had a "formal night"?  Do you not realize that you are fighting against an enemy which largely exists only in your imagination?

Every cruise I've been on has had a "formal night" of some description where the passengers are encouraged to dress up. Certainly over the years the standards have been relaxed as cruise ships wisely conclude that a majority of passengers had no desire to recreate their high school prom.  

The enemy isn't the cruise lines but the few remaining passengers who express the fervent desire for a return to the "glory days" when cruise ships denied entrance to anyone not wearing a suit and tie for dinner and who heap disapproval on those who feel otherwise. 

On 5/29/2022 at 1:46 PM, lyannea said:

While I would not likely ever attend such a thing, having a an optional venue for those who want to have a formal dress evening seems like a good idea.  Not likely to happen unless the cruise lines figure out a way to generate more revenue for the effort.    

On 5/29/2022 at 7:54 AM, wowzz said:

I admittedly have not been on Princess for a long time now.  I am surprised to read that they allow shorts, grubby or not, in the MDR (for dinner).  It seems such a departure from what I remember, is this widespread, an isolated instance, or ? 

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

While I would not likely ever attend such a thing, having a an optional venue for those who want to have a formal dress evening seems like a good idea.  Not likely to happen unless the cruise lines figure out a way to generate more revenue for the effort.    

I agree with you on that point, thank you for bringing it up. It could be a special dinner like the Chef's Table, called Tuxes and Ball Gowns. I'm not sure how many people would really go for it, as everyone is packing less and concentrating on a comfy vacay,  I like the idea- one wouldn't HAVE to be subjected to it, unless interested.  

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I admittedly have not been on Princess for a long time now.  I am surprised to read that they allow shorts, grubby or not, in the MDR (for dinner).  It seems such a departure from what I remember, is this widespread, an isolated instance, or ? 

I just copied a post from a Princess group, not to be mentioned on CC. It was posted 19 hours ago and I can't verify it actually happened, First for me.

Here it is:

This was new to me, but last night was the first time on our Caribbean Princess trip that I saw a lady being sent to change her outfit because it was inappropriate for Formal Night. She was in her thirties and wearing a kind of sundress/shorts thing.
There are often been men asked to leave. We had a young man beside us sent out because he was in shorts and when he came back he was in rather ratty jeans and he was asked to leave again. He came back in nice pants and that wasn't even a formal night, that was a couple nights ago on a smart casual night.
I asked the Maitre'D about it and he said they will cut people a lot of slack for the first and last nights, but want to maintain a standard on the rest of the nights.

493 Comments

• Thanks 1