Why Bother with a Travel Agent?

On 3/18/2022 at 7:25 AM, DeanD said:

In general I do things myself including cars, hotels and air.  I like control.  But I've found a TA that is great and does things I couldn't do myself.  I'll use her for group tours and Cruises but I'll still do the others myself.  And for this situation there are no other perks, the price is the same as I'd get directly.  She's been that good.  In the past I've had a couple of TA's that were worse than not having one at all.  

What kind of things does she do that you are not able to do yourself?

On 3/18/2022 at 7:15 AM, Dewaldcruiser said:

I haven't read where anyone mentioned my best reason for using a good TA.  I love the fact that I can email my TA with an issue or a price drop or anything else and she deals with RCI in my stead.  No more 2 hour telephone calls waiting on hold while RCI customer service tries to get to resolutions or accounting or anywhere else.  One note to my TA and I know it will be resolved with no stress on my part.

Wow, I've never had to be on a call with Royal for 2 hours. Wow!

On 3/18/2022 at 10:29 AM, mek said:

I go where ever I can get the best price - sometimes that's through a TA and sometimes direct.  Cruises are not complicated to book so no biggie either way.

I agree. Cruises are quite simple to book. I dont find value in emailing g someone as a middle person when I can just do it and it's done. I've been able to secure most of the "perks" that people mentioned in their posts here. I never sit for hours on the phone with Royal so I cant relate to a TA being a time saver. I'm a competent and self-sufficient person. Dont need to rely on someone for something I can do actually faster. Plus, I love last minute sailings. For context, I'm sailing solo and not booking those big expensive suites. I book a balcony for myself. And, nope, I dont pay single supplements. And, since I love getting great deals close to sailings, I also dont worry too much about final payment dates. Its usually always due in full when I book last minute.  If I book far in advance, I watch for price drops myself and handle it myself. Never had  a problem with Royal about price drops. I handle getting great prices. Waiting for a TA to do something I am capable of doing is a waste of time for me. I love planning and putting  the puzzles pieces of travel together. Giving that up would take away some of the fun of my actual cruise. I'm usually just a happy person in general.

I dont get stressed and anxious like I've seen from some people on these threads. If you tend to be anxious or nervous, then sure, maybe a TA will be helpful. In general, I'm just a pretty relaxed person who is independent and manages and organizes quite well. Dont really need other people for that service. Happy sailing everyone 

1 hour ago, blueslily said:

Happens all the time on various lines primarily recently because of Covid.  The lines laid off many customer service reps and the volume of calls they are receiving nowadays for various reasons are causing long wait  times.  It's really frustrating to wait over an hour, then find out the person you're talking to doesn't have the answer you need and then you go back on hold for somebody else.

24 minutes ago, SPacificbound said:

I have never used a travel agent, I enjoy planning and booking everything myself.

We also enjoy the planning. When we find the cruise we want we email the TA to book it for the extras. If our TA isn't available, we book direct then transfer for the obc.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Happens all the time on various lines primarily recently because of Covid.  The lines laid off many customer service reps and the volume of calls they are receiving nowadays for various reasons are causing long wait  times.  It's really frustrating to wait over an hour, then find out the person you're talking to doesn't have the answer you need and then you go back on hold for somebody else.

Thanks, but I guess I have been lucky. I've sailed 3 times in the past 3 months.  Booked 2 of those 3 cruises last minute. All 3 were with different cruise lines. Never waited more than 5 minutes for someone to answer my calls and my requests were all resolved during those calls to each of those 3 cruise lines.  I must have been lucky every time I called.  I made a few calls to each cruise line regarding each of those 3 cruises. Sure, I have read about bad experiences on these boards. But for me, I have not had those experiences. 😁 

• Like 1

I also think comparing apples to apples matters. Some people here are talking about help TAs offered during all the challenges of cancellations, rebooking, FCCs, etc during the past couple years of COVID. And then there are people talking about experiences before COVID when booking cruisrs really wasn't that challenging. And then there are people talking about totally NEW recent bookings after the cruise restart that weren't related to any cancellations during COVID. The complexities of these situations and timings are all different. Some folks here have experience with all 3, some not.

For me, my last cruise before the pandemic was in Feb 2020, right before the cruise shutdown. I did not have any sailings already booked during COVID that had to be cancelled, rebooked, etc. So, I did not have to deal with any of the drama many people talk about on here.  And, I did not book any new cruises during the cruise shutdown "in hopes" that "COVID is going to be over soon and I must cruise". I waited until after the restart, and then I booked each cruise that I've gone on since the restart. Most were booked close to the sail dates. All paid with cash. So, no FCC or refund drama to real with. Easy peasy quite honestly. Just saying context matters when posting replies here. For my cruises since the restart, I never waited on hold for long times. I got great prices and "perks". There was only one "snafu" and I resolved it myself within 10 minutes. I've sailed on 3 cruise lines since the restart. Loved all my experiences. But, I am definitely not sailing in March or April due to some other contextual factors.

Context for comparing the benefits of using a TA also includes cabin types booked and overall amount of money cost. The benefit of a TA for an inside cabin on a 5 day sailing is not the same as using a TA for a 21 day sailing in a high suite class. Some people here spend over $10,000 on bookings. Some folks spend one tenth of that on cruise bookings. Again, just saying its helpful to include some context when talking about the benefits of TAs. 

Also, my recent bookings have been just 1 cabin for myself. Some folks here are with family or friend groups and they are booking multiple different cabins of different types for different people. So, again include context so apples can be compared to apples. 

😁

Edited by blueslily

7 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Amen to this!!  I have had lots of problems and long wait times ever since they farmed out most of the call centers to overseas countries

Just like there are poor PCCs, there are poor TAs, too.  Most TAs couldn’t make enough money to stay afloat during the lockdowns and left the business.  That left a lot of people who just got into the business and their inexperience shows.  Mine stuck through it and as a result is doing better now than she ever has.

Personally, there was never a PCC associated with any cruise line that stuck around long enough to do a 2nd cruise booking after the first one I did with them.  

On 3/17/2022 at 8:33 PM, ladysail2 said:

I currently have 5 cruises booked, two being handled by separate travel agents. I used the first agent two, maybe three times. Mainly because others going on that cruise are using her. I’m paying cruise line rates, she’s not offering any perks..no OBC, no bottle of wine, no free dinner….she couldn’t get me insurance, she couldn’t figures out flights that I wanted.  I booked my own flights, I got my own insurance.  For the second agent, I have  a friend who works in the same agency so I thought I’d give the business, some business. Well…he did give me a $50 OBC……but he doubled the deposit amount taken from my cc and said it was a mistake and would have to speak to the cruise line about changing it. I found out he placed my booking in a group booking….and I’m still paying the cruise line’s rate. Aren’t group bookings at a better price than the cruise line’s rates?  Then, when my cruise price went down and I asked to have it repriced, he took away his OBC.    I thought of all this and asked myself……why am I bothering to use a TA. I’m not gaining anything and they’re making money off my booking.  These aren’t complicated bookings at all.  Wish I had just booked them myself.   Does your TA do anything for you?

Personally I never use a travel agent for cruises. I am very familiar with the cruise industry and find it very easy to book my own cruises either on board a ship or online. I also like having total control of my bookings and having the ability to make changes on my own without having to go thru a third party (i.e. a travel agent). I am sure part of it is I like being in control, but that is worth far more to me than any incentive offered by a travel agent. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, blueslily said:

On the surface, probably nothing.  However, she has expertise that I don't have and I'd venture to say most here don't have either.  She has contacts and she knows how to get to the right person to settle matters when needed.  She is also able and willing to call and spend the time doing so that I don't have.  With Covid and other cancelations I don't think I could have kept up with the FCC had I tried with a spread sheet.  We had 6 cruises in a row canceled by RCL only 2 of which were Covid related.  She's tracked the FCC and when they were wrong (basically about two rounds every time), she was on them to get it right.  

By nature, I'm a planner and detail oriented and I'd be comfortable doing it myself, but she's proven to me she's worth foregoing any savings I might get with another company or giving up a level of control that having a direct booking might provide.  This was my impression prior to the 6 cancelations/FCC and it has proven to be correct  YMMV.  

I always use a TA, piece of mind.  There is no cost to me from the TA and they take care of the details.  Several years ago while on a Panama Canal cruise my father passed away, yes I could have handled the arrangements to get home, but my mind was on other things.  Called my TA and they took care of all arrangements to get me home quickly.  

12 hours ago, blueslily said:

While I think there are many benefits to using a TA, one benefit that I recently experienced is their access to inventory that I couldn't see.  We were planning a family cruise with 4 adults and 3 teenagers in three different cabins. We wanted 2 OV balcony and 1 inside with one of the OV balconies being allowed to have 3 people in it. We wanted the OV's side by side and the inside across the hall. No matter what deck or section of the ship I searched on Royal's website there was nothing available.  When I emailed my TA, I said we preferred but the above configuration but I didn't think it was possible based on the inventory available so just get us the cabins as close together as possible.  He came back with exactly the configuration I wanted.  This could not have been done booking on my own directly on the website.  I tried searching and going through the process just to see what was available prior to contacting him and to get a rough ballpark on pricing.  On top of that benefit, because of group space the overall cruise was substantially cheaper.  Almost $600 cheaper.  While there are scenario's where doing it yourself may be quick, simple and easy and a TA unnecessary using a TA is as simple or simpler.

As an example I'll cite this email exchange on a booking last month.

Initial email. Hi XXX… I’m looking at doing the Ovation Hawaii cruise in Oct. 2023.  We’ll want a balcony cabin.  I noticed that 7254 is available, this appears to be an extra wide cabin with a larger balcony. Any chance you have group space?  

Reply. We do and I have it on hold for you.  Refundable deposit.

2nd email: Thanks XXX,

Use AE xxxx xxxxx xxxxx for the deposit.

TA Reply. Perfect, Thanks

One hour later I received 

TA emailDeposited invoice attached.

Thanks

with a pdf of my invoice attached.

The initial series of events transpired over 15 minutes but only took 90 seconds of my time.  I never even stopped working. One hour later I received my confirmation by email. I saved apx. $700 vs Royal direct on got a little OBC to boot.

I challenge you to get through all the booking screens on Royals website, entering all the required personal info and payment info in 90 seconds.

While I was capable of doing it all myself, I didn't have to.  Because I have a relationship with a TA he knows my preferences booking habits. This process was easier, cheaper and comes with benefit that if there is something that goes wrong I've got someone who has easier access to higher level customer service than I would have without extensive phone time.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

We also enjoy the planning. When we find the cruise we want we email the TA to book it for the extras. If our TA isn't available, we book direct then transfer for the obc.

We do pretty much the same thing find a cruise that we might like and have her see what she can do for us. If we book it I still keep track of the cruise for any changes as I don't have a problem doing it as I know I am not her only customer and I know she only so many hours in a day. As for the perks from her company  we have 8 cruises booked with her right now and the onboard credit from her company we have now on the 8 cruises total $800 and the cash back totals $2250. To each his own and after 70 or so cruises I think using her is best for us.

• Like 2

On almost everything else I buy and organise things online myself. I just did a trip for 15 people to Orlando where I organised hotels and flights.

But on cruises, for some reason, it is difficult to get your hands on the travel agent commission without using an agent. Generally they pay agents around 10% and the agent should then be willing to share it with you.

My agent has been very helpful calling RCI recently to sort out issues with FCC and has spent hours on the phone for me. I told her I would give her half the commission that she normally gives me as cash back on my next booking (It is an $18000 booking) as she has recently done a lot of work for me with all the COVID disruption and I am sure it has impacted her income.

TBH I am surprised how much cash back I get on bookings, the agent must be working for a very small cut of the fare.

On 3/18/2022 at 7:08 PM, deliver42 said:

There's no reason to use a TA if there isn't a good incentive.I  rarely use on unless there is a great dal. 

In your opinion.

I also don't have sit on hold with RCI to fix something.  I drop an email to my TA, and I get a response once everything is fixed.

Value of that?  PRICELESS.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, SRF said:

In your opinion.

I also don't have sit on hold with RCI to fix something.  I drop an email to my TA, and I get a response once everything is fixed.

Value of that?  PRICELESS.

How would SRF know if there is a deal unless he/she has a TA? 

On 3/19/2022 at 7:33 PM, blueslily said:

Have you had to call them recently? Yesterday I was on hold for 90 minutes, and then they dropped my call 2 minutes after answering. It's a great experience 😐 

• Like 3

I have booked with and without a TA.  The last one we used for a cruise did nothing for us.  Literally nothing.  We made the booking and transferred it to them, never made any changes and only asked to add on insurance.  We were told to go to XYZ website and take a look...granted this was a very cheap cruise, about $850 for an inside room, but still. 

We tend to book less expensive cruises, inside or balcony, and then splash out on our trips to Jamaica.  If you cannot extend a little service for a cheap booking, (which we do multiple of these each year), then I am not interested in giving you our $7,000+ twice yearly bookings for Jamaica.  While I am fully aware that two $7G trips to Jamaica a year is a drop in the bucket to some, it is a lot of money to us, I am certain they bring in a bit of commission.  Work for me each time or I'll just do it myself I guess.

Edited by MandyMooToo

For me there is one more advantage.

I use a TA in my country and should something go seriously wrong with the booking etc. I have a TA in my country to take to court. I don't have to deal with a company on the other side of the planet where the lawyer fees might be higher then buying one of those cruise ships - slightly exaggerated and based on what you hear in Europe about the US legal system.

I don't think it will ever happen but nevertheless I think it is good to have someone in my country.

Also for payments. I pay my TA via credit card, paypal, bank transfer, ... and they pay Royal.

On 3/17/2022 at 8:24 PM, luckyinpa said:

boy that sounds like a bad agency OP.  i got 650 obc for my last october cruise and 500 for this may's cruise on oasis. i require nothing other than him booking me and wouldnt even know what other services he offers. but i'm happy with the price and do everything else myself. i get insurance thru tripinsurancestore which is cheaper and better coverage anyway. 

on the most recent booking i made my cruise went down just 40 bucks and i emailed him and got the pricing. but i dont mind monitoring my own stuff. my cabin has increased substantially since booking and i'm lucky to have gotten what i got

This is how I am. I do all travel myself, even at work I refuse to allow anyone else to do my travel. But I found a cruise TA that will give me large discounts, especially on suites. I also like that I can send him a two sentence email and get exactly what I need, no need to call and wait on hold, etc.

Just booked two cruises with him and a combined $800 off and 3 free dinners for 2.

I check for my own price drops, but a quick email and I get them.

• Like 2