Why Bother with a Travel Agent?

10 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Do some forum reading, you can figure it out.

Thanks, I read this forum a lot but I guess not in the threads I need to get this info, otherwise I would already know. When the time comes that I need a new one I’ll ask in that popular group that most of us know 😀📘

Edited by lovesthebeach2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, exm said:

I never understood people booking directly with RC.com. Pricing is always much, much higher imo. I have a good TA who is handling a lot of things for us like making sure our rooms are connected, insurance, any changes, etc. But I am keeping the price real by comparing to the big warehouse as well as c****.com. Those usually have the best promotions and my TA always comes in slightly lower.

I have found the opposite.  I apply promo codes on top of my c and a #, over 55 and state.  Still cheaper than what I see on the airline TA, big box, auto agency, shopping ones.  I dont even do alerts.  I rarely spend more than 30 minutes on phone with a price adjustment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Do some forum reading, you can figure it out.

It's free advertising.. It's a good gig. No  idea  why Cruise Critic allows it.

Edited by Jimbo

4 hours ago, exm said:

I never understood people booking directly with RC.com. Pricing is always much, much higher imo. I have a good TA who is handling a lot of things for us like making sure our rooms are connected, insurance, any changes, etc. But I am keeping the price real by comparing to the big warehouse as well as c****.com. Those usually have the best promotions and my TA always comes in slightly lower.

Sounds like you should go on using a travel agent.

I have never gotten more than the same deal using a travel agent, other than maybe some fruit in the room when I arrived.  I stopped using them when they pushed me to make final payment on a Mediterranean cruise in March 2020.

I didn't make that payment.

19 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

I currently have 5 cruises booked, two being handled by separate travel agents. I used the first agent two, maybe three times. Mainly because others going on that cruise are using her. I’m paying cruise line rates, she’s not offering any perks..no OBC, no bottle of wine, no free dinner….she couldn’t get me insurance, she couldn’t figures out flights that I wanted.  I booked my own flights, I got my own insurance.  For the second agent, I have  a friend who works in the same agency so I thought I’d give the business, some business. Well…he did give me a $50 OBC……but he doubled the deposit amount taken from my cc and said it was a mistake and would have to speak to the cruise line about changing it. I found out he placed my booking in a group booking….and I’m still paying the cruise line’s rate. Aren’t group bookings at a better price than the cruise line’s rates?  Then, when my cruise price went down and I asked to have it repriced, he took away his OBC.    I thought of all this and asked myself……why am I bothering to use a TA. I’m not gaining anything and they’re making money off my booking.  These aren’t complicated bookings at all.  Wish I had just booked them myself.   Does your TA do anything for you?

We had a TA who gave gifts for booking a cruise.For the first booking we got a canvas bag .For the fifth a quality pair of binoculars.

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

Sounds like you should go on using a travel agent.

I have never gotten more than the same deal using a travel agent, other than maybe some fruit in the room when I arrived.  I stopped using them when they pushed me to make final payment on a Mediterranean cruise in March 2020.

I didn't make that payment.

Had a lovely Med cruise in March 2020😎

23 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

I currently have 5 cruises booked, two being handled by separate travel agents. I used the first agent two, maybe three times. Mainly because others going on that cruise are using her. I’m paying cruise line rates, she’s not offering any perks..no OBC, no bottle of wine, no free dinner….she couldn’t get me insurance, she couldn’t figures out flights that I wanted.  I booked my own flights, I got my own insurance.  For the second agent, I have  a friend who works in the same agency so I thought I’d give the business, some business. Well…he did give me a $50 OBC……but he doubled the deposit amount taken from my cc and said it was a mistake and would have to speak to the cruise line about changing it. I found out he placed my booking in a group booking….and I’m still paying the cruise line’s rate. Aren’t group bookings at a better price than the cruise line’s rates?  Then, when my cruise price went down and I asked to have it repriced, he took away his OBC.    I thought of all this and asked myself……why am I bothering to use a TA. I’m not gaining anything and they’re making money off my booking.  These aren’t complicated bookings at all.  Wish I had just booked them myself.   Does your TA do anything for you?

Wrong TA. Find a new one. 

1 hour ago, Lane Hog said:

With the commissions agents earn on a cruise, they can easily afford the gifts and onboard credits....

are there any concrete examples of commissions..say on an 800 balcony on oasis. and a 3K CLS. must be decent rate because i got 500 OBC on my CLS. and he's still making money of course. 

• Like 1

I am not a TA but always use one. If not, you are leaving money on the table every cruise. Someone said they don't care about obc??? It's money! Change them up once in awhile or play 2 against each other to get the most $. Or use that site with compete in the name to be sure of lowest price and best obc.

• Like 1

FWIW, perks and rebates are nice, but service is just as important 👌 

When you have one that solves your issues and goes to bat for you, it's priceless.

We had a ton of cruises cancelled during Covid, and I never waited on line with Royal once.

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

When you have one that solves your issues and goes to bat for you, it's priceless.

We had a ton of cruises cancelled during Covid, and I never waited on line with Royal once.

Agreed 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

We have even had to contact our TA while onboard. They can accomplish things that no one onboard can.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I traveled with my TA last cruise. He was always working😉

I've made him work on his second cruise, too.... he looked up some pricing for me while the wife was getting ready for dinner.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Still should be 10% of fare before taxes/port fees.

No basis for disputing this, however, assuming a 15%(?) commission, on inside or just OV cabins I cannot picture someone giving up 2/3 of their revenue on these bookings. JMHO

BTW, I do book these type of cabins on my own but never saw much of a benefit in going through a TA. I am guessing that the folks posting here re: very generous $500-$750 in OBC plus other goodies from their TA are booking very nice accommodations.

25 minutes ago, zebra36 said:

No basis for disputing this, however, assuming a 15%(?) commission, on inside or just OV cabins I cannot picture someone giving up 2/3 of their revenue on these bookings. JMHO

BTW, I do book these type of cabins on my own but never saw much of a benefit in going through a TA. I am guessing that the folks posting here re: very generous $500-$750 in OBC plus other goodies from their TA are booking very nice accommodations.

You also have to remember that the actual agent only gets a percentage of the overall commission.  It's split up down the line.

• Like 3