Why Bother with a Travel Agent?

8 hours ago, brillohead said:

When I got started with cruising, I would just handle it all myself.  But when you find a *good* TA, there's just no need.

I don't think my current TA ever sleeps.  If I hadn't met him in person, I might think he's an AI bot of some kind, because he's always available!  He's responded to emails on weekends, or at midnight on a weekday (I work nights as a nurse, so most of my cruise planning happens at odd hours).

Because of his affiliation with a big name travel company, I've been able to get access to Group Rates that wouldn't have been available otherwise (NEWS FLASH: group rates are refundable up until Final Payment, without having to pay the higher refundable fare!), plus sometimes a bit of OBC as well. And if he sees a super-cheap group rate come across his desk, he emails me and lets me know -- sometimes I take advantage of the opportunity, and sometimes it just doesn't appeal or work with my dates, but I never would have had the option if I didn't have him to bring it to my attention.

When the time came to Lift-n-Switch my cancelled cruises or redeem my FCCs, he took care of all of it -- I never had to wait on hold with RCI or anything.  And he keeps track of my Final Payment dates and pays them for me with my credit card on file, so I don't have to keep track of anything (good thing, too, because I think some of my FPs fall on days when I'm on another cruise).  

I understand why some people just feel better managing their own cruises directly with RCI... and if I didn't have a TA like the one I have, I would probably do the same.  But a good TA who is also easily accessible is a dream come true!

Also, on Group Rates, a solo cruiser has to pay the deposit for two people, so that's why you got charged $500 instead of $250.  But they're fully refundable, so it doesn't bother me at all.

Ditto this  It sounds EXACTLY like my TA😇

• Like 3

I haven't read where anyone mentioned my best reason for using a good TA.  I love the fact that I can email my TA with an issue or a price drop or anything else and she deals with RCI in my stead.  No more 2 hour telephone calls waiting on hold while RCI customer service tries to get to resolutions or accounting or anywhere else.  One note to my TA and I know it will be resolved with no stress on my part.

In general I do things myself including cars, hotels and air.  I like control.  But I've found a TA that is great and does things I couldn't do myself.  I'll use her for group tours and Cruises but I'll still do the others myself.  And for this situation there are no other perks, the price is the same as I'd get directly.  She's been that good.  In the past I've had a couple of TA's that were worse than not having one at all.  

I agree with those who have state that you definitely have the wrong TA.   I have been working with the same TA for 12 years and have booked 14 cruises with him.   He is always on top of everything and keeps me posted with any updates or changes.   He always offers insurance and OBC credit.  His rates are always lower than RCI.   Personally, I would never think of working directly with any cruise line.  I do book my own travel, hotel, etc.  Again, that is just me.

Edited by yancycruiser

I didnt have much luck with TA`s either . 

Ignored my phone calls and emails regarding price drops .

They cost me money .

After the first couple of sailings , i simply called RC direct and dealt with them.

Picked my cruise and cabin and phoned in the order.

Get emails from RC right away confirming everything. 

If there was a price drop they handle it right away and thats all i want from them.

I monitor the prices myself.

• Like 1

It seems like you have a not so great TA and agency.

My TA is great.  Like Brillohead's, she seems to never sleep, although she does take vacations.  But she checks her emails and deals with time critical issues.

She gives me some OBC.

One thing I did find out, they have access to booking cruises before they become available to the general public.  Like 2 - 3 weeks before.  A few years ago, we had a booking over 2 weeks before the cruises for that time period appeared on the RCI site.  It helps if you want a particular cabin. 😄

Any time there has been an issue, I drop her an email and SHE takes care of it.  I don't have to wait on hold with RCI.

And she checks for price drops daily, and applies them.  I don't have to do anything.  A number of times, when final payment came due, it was much lower than when booked, as she was watching and repricing.

Now, she does not give the most OBC, but I am fine with that for the service.

If your TA is not giving you value, then you are correct to not see a need for them.  But a good TA is AMAZING.

• Like 3

I’d love to find an agent that gives me 7-10% of fare.  The best I’ve found give $100 period for a balcony and even my recent Owners suite only got that.  I now only use her when the fare is $10k or more as it’s just not worth it.  I’ve lost price drops and cabin upgrades over the weekend.  I always book and then turn them over to her so there’s little work on her end.  

Pre covid in 2019 I booked expensive trip and cold called 2 agents who were supposed to “experts” with some letters behind their names.  One offered me nothing, one offered $300 and my agent (that I rarely use) offered me the most.  

So you all with good TA’s count your blessings. I’ll keep my bookings until I find one.

This has been a very interesting discussion. I sure appreciate all your points of view.  Of my well over 50 cruises, I’ve handled 45+ myself and have been happy with my service, LOL.  I like to monitor pricing myself and choose my own cabin and category and even make payments along the way.  I can’t say that any travel agent I’ve used has left a happy memory in my mind.  I usually only use one if everyone in my bunch is using one….sort of a herd thing. I know I’m not losing anything, but I don’t gain anything either.   Thank you for all your responses..😊

6 hours ago, rennyn said:

What does this mean? Is what what you should expect from a TA in terms of perks? 

Take the Cruise Fare part of your cruise (Not Taxes and Fees) and we get 7-11% in OBC, Specialty dining, and a variety of other perks that are not being offered by the cruise line directly.

12 hours ago, brillohead said:

When I got started with cruising, I would just handle it all myself.  But when you find a *good* TA, there's just no need.

I don't think my current TA ever sleeps.  If I hadn't met him in person, I might think he's an AI bot of some kind, because he's always available!  He's responded to emails on weekends, or at midnight on a weekday (I work nights as a nurse, so most of my cruise planning happens at odd hours).

Because of his affiliation with a big name travel company, I've been able to get access to Group Rates that wouldn't have been available otherwise (NEWS FLASH: group rates are refundable up until Final Payment, without having to pay the higher refundable fare!), plus sometimes a bit of OBC as well. And if he sees a super-cheap group rate come across his desk, he emails me and lets me know -- sometimes I take advantage of the opportunity, and sometimes it just doesn't appeal or work with my dates, but I never would have had the option if I didn't have him to bring it to my attention.

When the time came to Lift-n-Switch my cancelled cruises or redeem my FCCs, he took care of all of it -- I never had to wait on hold with RCI or anything.  And he keeps track of my Final Payment dates and pays them for me with my credit card on file, so I don't have to keep track of anything (good thing, too, because I think some of my FPs fall on days when I'm on another cruise).  

I understand why some people just feel better managing their own cruises directly with RCI... and if I didn't have a TA like the one I have, I would probably do the same.  But a good TA who is also easily accessible is a dream come true!

Also, on Group Rates, a solo cruiser has to pay the deposit for two people, so that's why you got charged $500 instead of $250.  But they're fully refundable, so it doesn't bother me at all.

This sounds very much like the person I've started using recently(ish). I was always skeptical that good TA's exist until I decided to give him a try. I'm amazed how quickly I get a response even on a Sunday evening. To the point where I almost feel bad sending the email because I know it will spring him to action. 

• Like 3

I never understood people booking directly with RC.com. Pricing is always much, much higher imo. I have a good TA who is handling a lot of things for us like making sure our rooms are connected, insurance, any changes, etc. But I am keeping the price real by comparing to the big warehouse as well as c****.com. Those usually have the best promotions and my TA always comes in slightly lower.

3 hours ago, Dewaldcruiser said:

I haven't read where anyone mentioned my best reason for using a good TA.  I love the fact that I can email my TA with an issue or a price drop or anything else and she deals with RCI in my stead.  No more 2 hour telephone calls waiting on hold while RCI customer service tries to get to resolutions or accounting or anywhere else.  One note to my TA and I know it will be resolved with no stress on my part.

My TA and I use messenger to communicate most of the time. Email for documents 

22 minutes ago, exm said:

I never understood people booking directly with RC.com. Pricing is always much, much higher imo. I have a good TA who is handling a lot of things for us like making sure our rooms are connected, insurance, any changes, etc. But I am keeping the price real by comparing to the big warehouse as well as c****.com. Those usually have the best promotions and my TA always comes in slightly lower.

I guess I must always book at a great price or never found an agency that offers good prices, I always book directly with the cruise line and when I compare prices with agency I am often lower or the same.  I would love to get perks and discounts

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jean87510 said:

sounds like a page out of my experiences with TAs.  I dont bother with them as I am a micro manager and think I can do better 😁  Plus the OBC doesn't interest me one bit.  I preplan everything so no need for it.  

Same, except for same Royal PVP I used for 5yrs haven't had a TA since 1996

15 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

I currently have 5 cruises booked, two being handled by separate travel agents. I used the first agent two, maybe three times. Mainly because others going on that cruise are using her. I’m paying cruise line rates, she’s not offering any perks..no OBC, no bottle of wine, no free dinner….she couldn’t get me insurance, she couldn’t figures out flights that I wanted.  I booked my own flights, I got my own insurance.  For the second agent, I have  a friend who works in the same agency so I thought I’d give the business, some business. Well…he did give me a $50 OBC……but he doubled the deposit amount taken from my cc and said it was a mistake and would have to speak to the cruise line about changing it. I found out he placed my booking in a group booking….and I’m still paying the cruise line’s rate. Aren’t group bookings at a better price than the cruise line’s rates?  Then, when my cruise price went down and I asked to have it repriced, he took away his OBC.    I thought of all this and asked myself……why am I bothering to use a TA. I’m not gaining anything and they’re making money off my booking.  These aren’t complicated bookings at all.  Wish I had just booked them myself.   Does your TA do anything for you?

I don't doubt you at all, but. Not all TA are alike the one I use, and have used for 30 years, has ALWAYS gotten me the best deal/perks I could get. She takes care of all problems that arise. Having said that I still check to see if I can beat her, I never have. Usually when one is booked with a group, someone gets a break and that could the TA.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brillohead said:

5 hours ago, molly361 said:

Ditto this  It sounds EXACTLY like my TA😇

Mine too 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1