The Daily for Saturday 03/19/2022

richwmn

57 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Yes thank you Roy.

We have just got home after a 310 mile 5 hour 30 minutes drive.

We had a fantastic 14 night cruise on P&O Iona an a 2 night pre cruise stay in Southampton.

Because of an emergency detour to Lisbon on the previous cruise our check in was delayed by 5 hours.

Ports of call were :-

Vigo.

Gibraltar.

Alicante.

Barcelona.

Cadiz.

Lisbon.

3 pictures from Vigo and 3 from Gibraltar.

Graham

IMG_20220308_075949.jpg

IMG_20220308_080000.jpg

IMG_20220308_105731.jpg

IMG_20220310_094210.jpg

IMG_20220310_103914.jpg

Welcome  home love your  photos,

Jim.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone and Happy Saturday!  I’m not into car racing, just too aggressive for me and car crashes trigger my anxiety. Whew!  Sorry.  Quilting is a beautiful art and thank you to everyone who posted pictures. Debbie @dfish — your “kidney” quilt is beautiful. We should all laugh everyday!

I chose recipe #1 as my selection and thank you for the recipe Debbie. Those noodles look yummy in the stir fry. I just need peppers to make it. Right now my corned beef is cooking for today’s lunch. I decided not to make the Guinness bread, TJ’s didn’t have all the ingredients and I didn’t want to make a second stop at Safeway. I did make a no-knead bread last night that we can have with the meal. 

I can just imagine Miss Piggy saying that quote. Thank you for explaining @Horizon chaser 1957.

I would love to try the wine!  I’ll have to check if our Total Wine has it. 

We were in Barcelona in 2001 on our magical Med cruise and will be there for 2 days in May prior to our Oosterdam cruise, now I wish we were there longer but too expensive to change flights now. I need one day to recover from jet lag. 🛩  It’s funny crazy that flying to Barcelona is going to take as long as flying to Quebec City for our October cruise. 

@TiogaCruiser — That’s a lot of tennis balls!  But I’m sure your big pup really enjoyed himself. 

Jacqui @kazu — thank you for the update. Praying. 🙏

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, dfish said:

Today is my dad's birthday.   He said when he was little he wanted to switch his birthday to the 17th so he could say he was born on St. Patrick's Day, but then he found out about today being St. Joseph's Day.   He is celebrating his birthday with St. Joseph today.  

Happy birthday to your dad today Debbie.

Graham.

birthday-fireworks.gif.93f1e7c6e52e2869b60c44635b2a604d.gif

• Like 13

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I'm not into car racing. I hope we can all have a laugh today. I used to quilt and have an unfinished one I haven't touched in years, due to my eyesight; hopefully soon I can finish it.

Interesting quote.

I like stir fry, but don't make it at home. I'll pass on the the drink and wine.

I've been to Madrid, Toledo and Seville, but not Barcelona. It was the starting point for my cancelled April 2020 cruise. BFF and I were going to spend a couple of weeks in Germany with his family, then fly to Barcelona and sightsee for several days before the cruise (mainly Gaudi's work).

It's been rainy and windy here today, and in the 50's. Not much going on with me today. We're waiting for the first eagle egg to hatch, maybe today. Yesterday I got 2 of my older hydrangeas trimmed back (I know it's not the right time but I don't care if I lose some blooms). I want to move a rhododendron from the backyard to the front beds; I've read about how to do it and hope I don't kill it! I'll get to that first of the week if no rain.

@kazu Prayers for Jose, you and Marley. Good to hear Marley is improving. Hug to you on doing the hard, necessary things. I hope the wait for Jose's placement isn't too long.

@HAL Sailer I hope your DH is doing better today.

@dfish I love your quilts! I've only used hand stitching on mine, but might try my sewing machine to help get it finished; it's a sampler quilt. I'll have to see if I can find a picture (pre-digital).

@marshhawk I'm trying to be equally careful, although a few friends think I'm being overly cautious.

@smitty34877 It's good to hear that the nurse felt Tana was a little better; I hope that continues. She's lucky to have family to help her through the nights. Nice quilt.

@superoma Beautiful quilt and shams and throw pillows.

@grapau27 I'm glad you're home safely and had a great cruise!

Prayers for the Care List, Ukraine and its refugees and helpers. Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone; it's a bit unnerving hearing about the rise of this BA2 variant.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

The nurse felt  that Tana was slightly  improved which we all celebrated.

That is really good to hear 👍 

The nights are a problem  but we have rotated ourselves  so one person is not always up.

Bless you both for caring for her ❤️ 

A picture of the quilt

20220319_103323.jpg

Gorgeous!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a sunny, windy and cool day the Pacific Ocean with just enough movement to remind us we're on a ship.  🚢 

The good news is we both tested negative and are good for another week on board.  👍👏  I got a bit of a scare though.  We had different nurses doing our tests.  DH was cleared fairly quickly, but I sat there for quite a bit getting a little anxious.  The nurse then came out and told several who she tested after me they were good to go.  When she got to me, I was not on her list.  Evidently she forgot to check my test.  Fortunately, when she checked, I was cleared.  That wait did get the blood pressure up a bit. 😃

DH has always been interested in racing, especially the F1, Indy 500 and Daytona.  During the last two years, we've been watching more races.

I think the last two years have proved the saying, "Laughter is the best medicine". 

I'm not a quilter though a neighbor who makes beautiful quilts taught some of us how to make quilted hot mats and pot holders.  DH's grandmother and many of her relatives quilted, all by hand.  Sadly, by the time we inherited several quilts, they were well used, and my efforts to repair them were futile.

I like today’s quote and felt that way a few times, but never acted on it.  @Horizon chaser 1957  That you for the information about the quote.  It does fit Miss Piggy, and I can hear and see her saying it.

The meal sounds good, but tonight we'll be in the Pinnacle Grill.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

Our first time in Barcelona was September 2001 a week after 9/11.  What a difference in the crowds between that visit and our last visit in August 2019.  We have been to Barcelona many times on BHBs.  I shared some of our pictures when it was the port of the day on 10/23/21.

@kazu  Jacqui, thank you for the update on Marley,  and your efforts to find a nice place for Jose.  I'm glad Marley is doing better, and hope he does not have another attack.  I also hope the wait for a placement once Jose is on the waiting list is much shorter than expected.  Sening you positive thoughts that things go smoothly for a change.  Take care of yourself.

@aliaschief  Bon Voyage tomorrow.  Expect more families and kids on your cruise if the Koningsdam is any indication.  We've noticed more people are not following the recommendation to wear masks, but we do.

@dfish  Debbie, lovely quilts.

@marshhawk  We are still careful about being around people and also wear our masks, even though many of our neighbors think we're over reacting.  I read about a new study yesterday that said it is not inevitable that those who continue to mask and be careful will get Covid.

@smitty34877  Terry, that is good news the nurse saw some improvement with Tana.  Your quilt is lovely.

@durangoscots What nice memories the things your grandmother made bring you.

@superoma  A lovely quilt.

@HAL4NOW  The banner is beautiful and such detailed work.

@bennybear  Thanks for your pictures of Guadi's work.

@grapau27  Graham, glad you and Pauline made it home safely and had a great cruise.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

Wonderful set of days!  Hooray for the promising news from @kazuand @smitty34877.  Hopefully some small steps toward "better days."  My prayers continue for all on the cares list and for those others who are having health issues or other worries.

Beautiful day here today.  Of course, who knows what "Spring" will bring.  But it does look  like we have a nice forecast for the upcoming week.  Much too early for any outside plants as we can have heavy frost and freezes until early May.

I am enjoying the pictures of Barcelona.  That was always a city that my DH had wanted to visit.  He even tried to get stationed in Spain after we were married, but it was not to be.  I will add it to my list of cities to visit.  

The pictures of the many beautiful quilts are so enjoyable.  I have a quilt that my maternal grandfather did the quilt top by hand.  Very old fabrics, since he died in 1947.  My DM had a friend add the backing and hand quilt it a very many years later.  I cherish that quilt and it has a place of honor on a guest room bed.  I would love to post a picture, but it isn't working for me this afternoon!

Have a great day everyone!  I will be going for Mexican food this evening with my oldest step-son and his wife.  YUM!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, kazu said:

That is really good to hear 👍 

Bless you both for caring for her ❤️ 

Gorgeous!

And I was so glad Marley is a little better.Hopefully the red tape  can be managed  in less time for Jose.

There are 4 adults here so we take turns at night,it is better that way.

Please take good care of yourself.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, I don't know where the day has gone.  I spent the morning trying on cruise clothes, and oh, dear!  I will need to bring some of my stretchy, elastic-waist things.... Lenda, @Quartzsite Cruiser, are they testing every week - is it for the return to San Diego?  I am happy to hear it if so, and hope we manage to fail the test, too. Are we going to get together?   (BTW, HAL knows me as Penelope McCarthy and we will be in 5108..)  

I have been told that Tudor is the manager in the PG.   We met him on Eurodam in October.  He won't remember us, but might remember our friends Martha and Tony (aka Sailingdutchy - who are on NS right now..)  He even treated us to breakfast in the PG a couple of times (don't tell anyone). 

Jacqui, I know how hard it is to organize a good care home for a loved one.  When I was searching here for a place for my mother, I spent a lot of time in tears.   Even when I found one I thought was good, I was in there twice a day to make sure everything was as it should be  So being nearby is definitely what you want.  Hope everything goes smoothly from here on in, and I'm praying that over time, José will improve.  I'll be bugging St. Joseph all day to intercede!  And of course including Tana and all the others that need prayers.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Vict0riann said:

Good afternoon, I don't know where the day has gone.  I spent the morning trying on cruise clothes, and oh, dear!  I will need to bring some of my stretchy, elastic-waist things.... Lenda, @Quartzsite Cruiser, are they testing every week - is it for the return to San Diego?  I am happy to hear it if so, and hope we manage to fail the test, too. Are we going to get together?   (BTW, HAL knows me as Penelope McCarthy and we will be in 5108..)  

I have been told that Tudor is the manager in the PG.   We met him on Eurodam in October.  He won't remember us, but might remember our friends Martha and Tony (aka Sailingdutchy - who are on NS right now..)  He even treated us to breakfast in the PG a couple of times (don't tell anyone). 

Ann, I'm hoping we can get together along with @Live4cruises, but other than mentioning happy hour there are no definite plans.  Sailaway may not be a great option if last week was any indication.  It was crowded and noisy with the spring break crowd.  I'm open to suggestions.

I'm guess that Penelope is your first name.  HAL knows me as Elizabeth.  BTW, we're at the other end and other side of Deck 5 by the aft elevators.

They are testing every Saturday morning in the upper dining room.  I think they will continue testing until the CDC changes the guide lines.  

Looking forward to meeting you again in about a week.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Those quilts are beautiful.  The cross stitch is absolutely fabulous. (I cross stitch.) 

Nice cars.  Thank you  for posting pictures of Barcelona.  I've been there twice. Once was an overnight.

• Like 16

@Vict0riann @Quartzsite Cruiser We are known by HAL (and everybody else) as Nicholas and Robin. We’re in 4211.  As this isn’t a “beachy” cruise, I am hoping the Spring Breakers will mostly be in the Caribbean.

Since it’s been almost 3 years since we enjoyed watching the lines being cast off, we’ll be on our balcony for that first sail away.  I might even cry.  What about sail away from Avalon or a drink in Lenda’s favorite bar on Monday?

Thanks!

• Like 13

Todays meal, drink and wine all look very appealing. This may make me go to Total Wine first then to Panda Express for take out. I have never been able to see well enough to thread a needle so I just enjoy looking at the hard working Quilter's finished products.

Have never been to Barcelona and enjoying the photos very much.

I have not read the dailies for the past couple of days so now I am going back to find out what I have missed.

Jane

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

@Vict0riann @Quartzsite Cruiser We are known by HAL (and everybody else) as Nicholas and Robin. We’re in 4211.  As this isn’t a “beachy” cruise, I am hoping the Spring Breakers will mostly be in the Caribbean.

Since it’s been almost 3 years since we enjoyed watching the lines being cast off, we’ll be on our balcony for that first sail away.  I might even cry.  What about sail away from Avalon or a drink in Lenda’s favorite bar on Monday?

Thanks!

@Vict0riann and @Live4cruises  While HAL knows us as Elizabeth and Stephen,  we're Lenda and Steve in everyday life.  We're in 5175.  

Our thoughts have been that with the cruise not being a Mexican Riviera, there, wouldn't be spring breakers.  Now, we are not sure since there will probably be the same number of passengers at least starting tomorrow.

Sailaway from Avalon is 5 pm.  Happy hour is 4 pm in the Crow’s Nest  and Billboard on Board, but there it competes with trivia.  The Crow’s Nest would give us good views.

Basically, we're open to whatever is agreeable to everyone.

Lenda

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Oh, wow! That is amazing.  Imagine even cutting out all those tiny squares.

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Amazing and so colorful.  I would not have the patience to cut out or sew all those squares.

My efforts were doing crewl embroidery and Swedish weaving on monks cloth.  I haven't done either in years.

Lenda

I actually didn't cut out all the little squares.  You sew in strips according to a pattern and cut from there.  Then you start to piece the strips together to make long strips and then you sew the long strips together.  It sounds complicated, but it was actually pretty easy and that quilt went together pretty quickly.

I once read a description of a quilter as someone who cuts up a whole piece of fabric into smaller pieces and then  sews the pieces back together.  

• Like 11
  • Haha 6