Make my own coffee?

cruiser3775

I’m going to request a setup for tea in my (humble ) cabin for FLL-SOU on the 16 April b2b. I’ll let you know what results I get.

Every  cabin on QM2 (Dec ‘21) had a setup with real China mugs: the best part of our crossing, other than daily tea time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billish said:

The question that has still not been answered,  as far as I can see,  is if kettles are safe to be used for 6 months in Europe, why cannot they be used on the same ship when sailing from  US ports for 6 months in the winter? 

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

safety has a cost factor ... it's always about the money

Yep, as I said earlier.  Insurance and man-hours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow! I never expected to start an argument with my first post.  Thank you to those who told me that if Princess is sailing from an Australian port, they will supply an electric kettle to my cabin ( and I will turn it off at the power outlet and put the coffee grains in a ziplock bag - good tip). I like to have a coffee first thing in the morning, and I don't want to have to get dressed and go somewhere to get it. It seems like a lot of fuss to have to ask a steward to bring hot water.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Billish said:

But no one has yet posted any scientific evidence to show that kettles are dangerous.   

I’m not sure what the debate is here. Why do you need proof of anything?  The bottom line is that Princess apparently provides kettles on some cruises and not on others. It may be a function of risk tolerance coupled with insurance backstops, or it may be a completely irrational decision based on old wives’ tales and outdated science. But providing you with proof one way or the other is not going to cause Princess to change its rules. The question to be answered here is “what does Princess do?”  Not “what should Princess do?”  No one at Princess is going to show up at work tomorrow and say: “Hey! Guess what?  We cannot provide Billish with any verifiable proof of a fire hazard, so let’s put kettles in all our cabins.”

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Wow! I never expected to start an argument with my first post.  Thank you to those who told me that if Princess is sailing from an Australian port, they will supply an electric kettle to my cabin ( and I will turn it off at the power outlet and put the coffee grains in a ziplock bag - good tip). I like to have a coffee first thing in the morning, and I don't want to have to get dressed and go

somewhere to get it. It seems like a lot of fuss to have to ask a steward to bring hot water.

Yeah right ;->  Now go ahead and ask about surge protectors!

It isn't a fuss for them to deliver hot water - they love to do it... there is a whole room service staff for this stuff.  Ask room service for hot water every morning at a your preferred time on the door hanger menu and it will just be there.  Your room steward may be able to get hot water from a tap in their service area, but room service is the go to for this.

If you have Princess Plus they will deliver fresh brewed coffee any time and it's included in the drink package.  If it's just coffee you want, they'll bring as many pots (hottles) of room service coffee (from concentrate) as you ask for.  And you can order things "off menu" like  bacon, sausage, muffins etc., in reason, by writing that in on the door hanger menu.  It all comes from the same room service kitchen as serves suites who get whatever they want.  Enjoy your cruise, and welcome to Cruise Critic!

This comes up from time to time.  Many are sure that if you say the word "kettle" you will burn the entire ship down, along with assorted lighthouses that are nearby and any seagull flying over head. This despite the fact that many ships have kettles, Keurigs, and LaVazza coffee pots heating water up all day every day with - apparently - rather few injuries or sinkings.  And of course, that's not to mention that people are allowed to bring hair straighteners that heat up to a temperature that would make the sun envious.

And many are sure you should just order hot water from room service. And that's a good option if the water is hot enough for you and arrives on time, and you know what that time is.

Others of us would like to make coffee when we want (like whenever we wake up but we don't know when that will be because we're sleeping in on a sea day) - not wait on room service - or we'd like to use water heated to a certain temperature to maximize our coffee in our French Press or AeroPress.  If that's you - don't bring a kettle or any other water heating device. They won't let it on. But you can ask for one... and some ships have them.  Don't ask me how I know ... 

3 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

And many are sure you should just order hot water from room service. And that's a good option if the water is hot enough for you and arrives on time, and you know what that time is.

And that is the issue. The water you get from room service may be hot, but it is never just off the boil. 

• Like 1

In February on the Regal out of Port Evergades, we were able to order a complete coffee/tea set up for the room on the app. You could choose one time or entire voyage. Electric kettle, tea bags, instant coffee and sugar/ sweetner were supplied and replenished every day  with fresh cups. I found it interesting the kettle did not have an automatic shut off. All the ones I've had a home did.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, tutumomickey said:

I found it interesting the kettle did not have an automatic shut off.

I'm amazed by that. A kettle like that would be illegal in the UK, and certainly is different to the ones supplied in UK sailings.

On 3/20/2022 at 2:38 AM, cruiser3775 said:

I'm a first time cruiser and this is my first post.  I have just booked on a 12 day cruise on Coral Princess, and I'm sure I'll have more questions that I can't find answers to on this great site, but here's a small one to start with:

Can I make my own coffee in my cabin?  Is there a way to heat water, if I bring the coffee and a coffee press?

We have always brought a small coffeemaker onboard Princess ships to make our own coffee.  This goes back way over a decade for the 1st time and as recently as 3 months ago on the Sky.  The last one we brought was a small 1 cup at a time Keurig. Yes it has an auto-shutoff, but we would not leave a heated appliance like that running continuously anyway.  As a previous poster stated, the Princess suites apparently have pod coffeemakers already in the rooms. 

12 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I’m not sure what the debate is here. Why do you need proof of anything?  The bottom line is that Princess apparently provides kettles on some cruises and not on others. It may be a function of risk tolerance coupled with insurance backstops, or it may be a completely irrational decision based on old wives’ tales and outdated science. But providing you with proof one way or the other is not going to cause Princess to change its rules. The question to be answered here is “what does Princess do?”  Not “what should Princess do?”  No one at Princess is going to show up at work tomorrow and say: “Hey! Guess what?  We cannot provide Billish with any verifiable proof of a fire hazard, so let’s put kettles in all our cabins.”

Thank you, @JimmyVWine. Well said. I guess it does "boil" down to the money. I always thought it strange that kettles were on British sailings, but not American ones, or whatever else. Americans also use boiling water to make our coffee. I have an auto shut off one that I use everyday to make my "pour over" coffee.DH uses it for his hot chocolate.

I guess kettles only misbehave on ships that are not sailing from Britain or down under.

We have Princess Plus and can get our morning drinks at the International Cafe or through room service, but maybe I will consider bringing my own coffee cone, filters, and coffee!? Probably not, because I also use a cream frother.

FYI  Princess does not have kettles for any ships departing from US or Canada. I don't know about other countries.

Kettles are like bringing your own  liquor on board.  Against the rules but up to you.

I have a collapsable kettle I have taken everywhere with me for many years.  I use it at the hotels prior to cruise and have used it in our cabin. After we are finished our coffee or tea or hot chocolate we clean up and put the kettle away.

Our cabin stewards have noticed but never had one remark on it.

This was on Princess and Norwegian Cruises.

Happy Cruising

On 3/21/2022 at 3:08 PM, John Bull said:

I googled “fires caused by electric kettles”.

The first entry was about a fire probably caused by an electric kettle in New Zealand in 2018, which killed three.

eciated that ships are different, but the US is waaaay behind on the use of electric kettles at home.

JB 🙂

Agree I am a yank, just bought one for my wife ,they are great. Get the ones that are glass so you can see inside.

19 hours ago, awinte2 said:

FYI  Princess does not have kettles for any ships departing from US or Canada. I don't know about other countries.

Kettles are like bringing your own  liquor on board.  Against the rules but up to you.

I have a collapsable kettle I have taken everywhere with me for many years.  I use it at the hotels prior to cruise and have used it in our cabin. After we are finished our coffee or tea or hot chocolate we clean up and put the kettle away.

Our cabin stewards have noticed but never had one remark on it.

This was on Princess and Norwegian Cruises.

Happy Cruising

If by chance someone wanted to buy such a kettle could you post a link?  Ever been called to the naughty room?  I've been led to believe there's no way a kettle would get through security... It sure would be nice to have one "hypothetically speaking"!  😉

Ordering a kettle was available in the app on my Christmas/NYE Regal Caribbean cruise this past December. I have a camping type Melitta funnel and permanent filter that I take with me along with my preferred coffee - and yes, I take a bag to empty my coffee grounds into. Room service coffee generally is terrible - on all lines I've been on. Coffee from the International Cafe is usually very good, however, on Regal the first few days it was awful. I suppose if I added cream and sugar I wouldn't notice when the coffee is bad however I drink it black. When no kettle is available, I do order hot water from room service (I just don't like guessing the night before what time I may wake up and have had to wait up to 40 minutes when ordering in the morning).

Edited by NRWPA
  • Like 1

Poor OP.... asked about getting hot water (not boiling it himself) for a coffee press (which isn't even an electrical device) and inadvertently walked into the Great Kettle Debate, complete with fire safety experts and mea culpa contraband smugglers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/22/2022 at 10:45 AM, NthernLgts said:

We have always brought a small coffeemaker onboard Princess ships to make our own coffee.  This goes back way over a decade for the 1st time and as recently as 3 months ago on the Sky.  The last one we brought was a small 1 cup at a time Keurig. Yes it has an auto-shutoff, but we would not leave a heated appliance like that running continuously anyway.  As a previous poster stated, the Princess suites apparently have pod coffeemakers already in the rooms. 

Really?  I think I might look into this.  I'd love to have coffee in the room while getting ready and being able to bring our own pods would be awesome.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jenf22 said:

Really?  I think I might look into this.  I'd love to have coffee in the room while getting ready and being able to bring our own pods would be awesome.

Back before Keurig was well known and not yet on cruise line forbidden lists, I once packed a mini Keurig for our cruise. The problem was with the K-cups….anything more than a week long cruise, packing them takes up a lot of room!

6 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Poor OP.... asked about getting hot water (not boiling it himself) for a coffee press (which isn't even an electrical device) and inadvertently walked into the Great Kettle Debate, complete with fire safety experts and mea culpa contraband smugglers.

That's better than the dress code arguments.😂

• Haha 3