Boston hotels please

Thechamp555

2 hours ago, Thechamp555 said:

I've shopped for hotels in Boston but they are ridiculously expensive. Often $400/night !😯

Any suggestions for one night before my cruise this October?

Thanks !

Travel much? A good hotel (e.g., an Intercontinental) in a major cosmopolitan city like Boston will generally cost about $300+\- per night. Convention in town when you’re trying to get a room? $400 would not be unusual. 
Bottom line: “you get what you pay for.”

Hotels in cities like Boston and NYC are very date dependent.  The two most expensive weekends of the year here are the Boston Marathon weekend in April and the Head of the Charles Regatta in October as we attract visitors from around to world to compete in these World Class events.

When is your visit?  What are your bedding requirements?

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Travel much? A good hotel (e.g., an Intercontinental) in a major cosmopolitan city like Boston will generally cost about $300+\- per night. Convention in town when you’re trying to get a room? $400 would not be unusual. 

Bottom line is NO, these compagnies did a good persuasion on you . 😄

8 minutes ago, Thechamp555 said:

Having lived in cities like NY, LA and SF and traveled worldwide for work (much of it related to the hospitality industry), rest assured that my post above is correct. 
Can you find a “hotel” in Boston close to the port for <$200? Perhaps. But, to be honest, it will most likely be a dump. 

“You get what you pay for.”

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thechamp555 said:

I've shopped for hotels in Boston but they are ridiculously expensive. Often $400/night !😯

If it's the weekend of Head of the Charles, this would be a great time to dust off any points you have, either with a hotel or by transferring from a credit card to a hotel loyalty program. 

Hotels will be more expensive than usual and you will get into a situation in the not too distant future where it will be come an availability issue. I would book something as soon as possible if you are paying-- it will only get more expensive as we get closer. Or use points and get a great value from them. 

6 hours ago, Thechamp555 said:

No, the bottom line is that anyone running a hotel is going to want to make a profit - and charge as much as guests are willing to pay.

If you were selling your car, or your house, would you take less than what the most eager buyer would pay?

As I mentioned earlier- check out the cheaper hotels near the airport.

Edited by navybankerteacher

On 3/22/2022 at 12:26 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Yes, we do travel much!

Boston it's the major hub we fly in and out of for most of our travel. We always stay the night prior to a big trip and have never paid more than $300 a night (and that usually includes free parking for the duration of the trip, as well as free airport shuttles)!

However, there may be specific times when s special event blocks out many hotels.

As someone helpful noted, staying nearer to the airport is the good strategy. 

Hilton Garden Inn, Boston Logan Marriott, Comfort Inn are some very nice, modern, clean choices near the airport - with free shuttles to/from Logan.

You will need to taxi or Uber to the port.

15 minutes ago, sippican said:

Yes, we do travel much!

Boston it's the major hub we fly in and out of for most of our travel. We always stay the night prior to a big trip and have never paid more than $300 a night (and that usually includes free parking for the duration of the trip, as well as free airport shuttles)!

However, there may be specific times when s special event blocks out many hotels.

As someone helpful noted, staying nearer to the airport is the good strategy. 

Hilton Garden Inn, Boston Logan Marriott, Comfort Inn are some very nice, modern, clean choices near the airport - with free shuttles to/from Logan.

You will need to taxi or Uber to the port.

Garden Inn? Comfort Inn? Distant from the port?
As I said in my previous post: “You get what you pay for.”

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Garden Inn? Comfort Inn? Distant from the port?
As I said in my previous post: “You get what you pay for.”

Obviously you can get that information for yourself but I'll help you out. Within about 5-10 minutes of travel time you can be at the port from the ones I suggested. They are clean, modern and used as preferred hotels for the flight crews. 

The OP did not specify the need for 5* accommodations. Perhaps you'd care to be helpful and suggest some hotels you've stayed at near the cruise port.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sippican said:

Obviously you can get that information for yourself but I'll help you out. Within about 5-10 minutes of travel time you can be at the port from the ones I suggested. They are clean, modern and used as preferred hotels for the flight crews. 

The OP did not specify the need for 5* accommodations. Perhaps you'd care to be helpful and suggest some hotels you've stayed at near the cruise port.

Not everyone cruising from Boston is a local. So, they’ll probably want to stay downtown to have a central location for a couple of days of sightseeing. And, yes, prices will be higher than at the airport.

In any case, if one wants to stay at the airport, there are far better properties/amenities at higher quality hotels than what you mentioned. And they are inexpensive compared to their downtown partners.

For Example:

You can stay tonight at the Hilton at Logan for $195+ tax or the Doubletree at $147+ tax. And, if you really want “bare bones,” you could do the Hampton Inn at $125+ tax. BTW, Hilton Garden Inn tonight is more expensive at $151+ tax. 
Now, for a few $ more, you could do a Hyatt Regency at the Harbor for only $181+ tax. (Better everything from bedding to food options to other services).

And, with most of my above recommendations, your FF access could get you comp breakfast/happy hours/internet, etc. and you wouldn’t have to find other locations for dinner. (BTW: checking Hotels Tonight might find even better pricing which any of those hotels would match [and save you the trouble of dealing with a third party provider]).

In any case, the above costs are unusually low for Boston compared to when most folks travel there. After all, it’s winter. But, a quick price check shows that you can have a far better hotel experience than a 2 or 3 star property in Boston for about the same cost or less.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We arrive at Logan about 4:30 pm on Sunday, Oct 2, and our ship sails at 6 pm the next day. Being too late to do much that evening, we figured we’d just stay at the airport and go directly to the ship the next day. Realizing, now, the late sail time, we’re wondering if there might be a way of getting a quick overview of Boston before going to the port. If so, should we consider staying in another area? Looking for suggestions, and should add that we’re very senior at 78 and 80, so ease with luggage is a necessary consideration. Tanks in advance!

55 minutes ago, nonni2 said:

We arrive at Logan about 4:30 pm on Sunday, Oct 2, and our ship sails at 6 pm the next day. Being too late to do much that evening, we figured we’d just stay at the airport and go directly to the ship the next day. Realizing, now, the late sail time, we’re wondering if there might be a way of getting a quick overview of Boston before going to the port. If so, should we consider staying in another area? Looking for suggestions, and should add that we’re very senior at 78 and 80, so ease with luggage is a necessary consideration. Tanks in advance!

Our normal pre-Cruise (and post-Cruise) stay practice is to identify a private tour company that will handle airport-hotel transport and hotel-ship transport (or vice versa) and then at least one all day tour in-between (whether private, semi-private or small group). I can usually negotiate a good deal for this “package.”  If we’re there (embarkation or disembarkation port) more than two nights we’ll add self tour items, entertainment tix and dinner reservations as needed.

BTW: if you’re a first time visitor to Boston, make sure you get some pizza at Regina Pizzeria (the original in the North End). It’s as close as you’ll ever get to DiFara’s in Brooklyn!

04CF4A67-83F9-4E5B-9AC8-4174E2460FFF.jpeg

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Boston Logan Marriott doesn't exist.  Courtyard Marriott Logan does and is one of the three "near" hotels.  Comfort Inn is a good distance away.  A good 15 minute ride to the airport or a 25-30 minute "T" ride to Faneuil Hall

13 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

BTW: if you’re a first time visitor to Boston, make sure you get some pizza at Regina Pizzeria (the original in the North End). It’s as close as you’ll ever get to DiFara’s in Brooklyn!

To each their own, but I wouldn't go that far. I lived near the North End for a few years and had my fair share of Regina but never thought very much of it and would literally get on a train to go down to New York for good pizza. I always thought Regina had more in common with Sbarro than DiFara.

The only reason I'm responding is that for a first time visitor to Boston there are plenty of worthwhile spots to seek out in the North End and this just wouldn't be one for me if I had 1 or 2 days in town. 

• Like 1

Look up the brand new Hampton Inn Seaport which is walking distance to the Ray Flynn/Black Falcon pier.  If that is over your budget, check Hampton Inn Airport CHELSEA.  Do a fake booking when rates come up scroll to the end to see if they have a Long Term rate (one night is fine).  That has been running more reasonable for our August cruise.  Hilton.com, Boston, MA -  Hampton Discount code 0561135262.  Pay it forward if it works for you.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nitemare said:

That Seaport option is the closest one to the pier, but is not convenient for touring

The Chelsea option isn't convenient to anything, but does have a shuttle to the airport and subway

That is correct.  The OP stated he is only needing the hotel for one night; thus I don't think any touring will be in his plan, just budget and a safe comfortable hotel.  At least with either of these, they would get breakfast included.

Hope this helps the cruiser.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coloradohawk said:

Anybody know anything about the Embassy Suites at Logan?  Seems like a good option for one night precruise.  Not going to be a Boston tourist until after the cruise.

Nothing wrong with it. Shuttle from the airport is easy.  Close to the MBTA to get into the city or a short cab or uber ride thru the tunnel to the cruiseport.   It's a bit further than the airport Hilton or Hyatt but not by much

On 3/21/2022 at 9:20 PM, Thechamp555 said:

Thanks !

I am beginning my search for mid Oct as well.  I think that poster that said you get what you pay for was rude.  We'd like to go in a few days prior but with those $$ rates, it's more than the cruise.  I'm going to look at some airbnb's..

1 hour ago, Beth and Bailey said:

I am beginning my search for mid Oct as well.  I think that poster that said you get what you pay for was rude.  We'd like to go in a few days prior but with those $$ rates, it's more than the cruise.  I'm going to look at some airbnb's..

I found a descent hotel , the Holiday Inn Express . 10 minutes walk from subway and really good reviews with a great breakfast . Just over 200 . Pretty good for the quality of the hotel. No worry from past comments. You may check this one if interested. 😆

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 6:47 AM, Nitemare said:

Boston Logan Marriott doesn't exist.  Courtyard Marriott Logan does and is one of the three "near" hotels.  Comfort Inn is a good distance away.  A good 15 minute ride to the airport or a 25-30 minute "T" ride to Faneuil Hall

Comfort Inn & Suites Logan International Airport. Certainly not 15 minutes from the airport unless sitting in standstill rush hour. It's one of our three "go to" airport hotels along with Courtyard and Hilton Garden.