Boston hotels please

Thechamp555

We're going to be in Boston in late August and the hotel prices are even higher than you are quoting here (and the points costs are also ridiculously high).  I worked on this question predicament for several days before an inspiration hit me.  I ended up booking at the Quincy Marriott which is 30 minutes or so from downtown Boston on the Red T line.  Not ideal of course but 1/3 the cost in money or points.  The station is a few blocks from the hotel and Marriott provides a free shuttle.

1 hour ago, CaribbeanBound said:

We're going to be in Boston in late August and the hotel prices are even higher than you are quoting here (and the points costs are also ridiculously high).  I worked on this question predicament for several days before an inspiration hit me.  I ended up booking at the Quincy Marriott which is 30 minutes or so from downtown Boston on the Red T line.  Not ideal of course but 1/3 the cost in money or points.  The station is a few blocks from the hotel and Marriott provides a free shuttle.

That's a fine hotel. Our office is nearby and when people from out of state come in, they tend to stay there.

On 12/8/2022 at 12:25 PM, Barb Nahoumi said:

Whichever hotel you choose, be sure to inquire about extra "Resort Fees."  You don't want to get unwanted surprises at checkout.

On 12/8/2022 at 1:01 PM, mjkacmom said:

They will all be added to your booking, there are no surprises.

Exactly.

When you book a hotel all the fees and taxes show up before you have to enter any financial information.  Should actually show up before you enter your name, too.

Resort fees stink, but it's the bottom line I pay most attention to.  I don't really care how they get there

13 hours ago, CaribbeanBound said:

1025cruise... thank you for the vote of confidence in this hotel.  Makes me feel better about booking so far out of town.  Is the 30-minutes or so Metro estimate about right?

That sounds about right. I believe they shuttle you to the Quincy Adams stop on the red line. When you are coming back, make sure to get on a Braintree train. Ashmont trains will go in a different direction after JFK UMass.

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2022 at 11:40 AM, oceancrusin said:

Wife and I will be cruising out of Boston in October 2023. Arriving on the 12th, boarding on the 13th. I just had a look in the area for hotels and like you I nearly fell off my chair. The only thing reasonable (in my opinion) is the Holiday Inn Express @ $232 USD including taxes.

Most are in the $285 - $570 USD (pre tax) range, just for single nights sleep. As I'm Canadian the current exchange rate is about 1.4, so anywhere from 400-800 CAD before tax, that's nuts.

I appreciate everyone's input here. 👍🏼 DH and I have never been to Boston either, and will be cruising from Quebec City to Boston and arriving on Oct. 13, 2023 and staying for two nights.  Like you oceancrusin, we were SHOCKED at the prices, and never have even spent more than $300 total US/night for lodging while over in Europe!!!

Then we started to think more rationally about what we needed in this case.  We are not "resort" type people and are usually very happy with lodging that has clean rooms, hot showers, a fridge/microwave, and if airport shuttle and hot breakfast are available that's icing on the cake!  Yeah, you know the Hampton Inns, the Comfort Inns, the Holiday Inns. (At least while in the US.)

Since we will have been already three nights in Quebec City, and seven on our cruise we looked for areas/pricing that were somewhat close to public transportation, and refundable if we found something better.

THEN we decided why not take the ship's 2.5 hour shore excursion after debarkation, then we don't have to carry our luggage around, we get to have a glimpse of Boston, and since it returns to Logan airport we can either get an Uber, call the hotel which has an airport shuttle, or see if the driver would be willing to take us to our hotel.  (We actually did this once in NYC and it worked out great!)

So for the moment we are booked in the Chelsea area which is a cool, walkable area and also has bus and train routes to Boston proper for less than 20 minutes and little cost.
Hampton Inn Boston Logan Airport Chelsea 

3 hours ago, afn10305 said:

So for the moment we are booked in the Chelsea area which is a cool, walkable area and also has bus and train routes to Boston proper for less than 20 minutes and little cost.

Keep in mind that Chelsea and East Boston are not the best areas of town-- I wouldn't classify this as "walkable" for someone from out of town from a safety standpoint. Its an area thats slowly getting gentrified-- I'm sure its much better than what it was when I lived there years ago. But I would exercise caution-- there is still gang activity in the area and there are no major tourist attractions. 

• Like 2

On 2/1/2023 at 9:25 AM, afn10305 said:

I appreciate everyone's input here. 👍🏼 DH and I have never been to Boston either, and will be cruising from Quebec City to Boston and arriving on Oct. 13, 2023 and staying for two nights.  Like you oceancrusin, we were SHOCKED at the prices, and never have even spent more than $300 total US/night for lodging while over in Europe!!!

Then we started to think more rationally about what we needed in this case.  We are not "resort" type people and are usually very happy with lodging that has clean rooms, hot showers, a fridge/microwave, and if airport shuttle and hot breakfast are available that's icing on the cake!  Yeah, you know the Hampton Inns, the Comfort Inns, the Holiday Inns. (At least while in the US.)

Since we will have been already three nights in Quebec City, and seven on our cruise we looked for areas/pricing that were somewhat close to public transportation, and refundable if we found something better.

THEN we decided why not take the ship's 2.5 hour shore excursion after debarkation, then we don't have to carry our luggage around, we get to have a glimpse of Boston, and since it returns to Logan airport we can either get an Uber, call the hotel which has an airport shuttle, or see if the driver would be willing to take us to our hotel.  (We actually did this once in NYC and it worked out great!)

Hampton Inn Boston Logan Airport Chelsea 

Europe is cheaper in my experience - I may be biased because the weak NZ$ isn't helping us either. 

I'm curious where you are staying in Quebec City - our cruise is round trip to Boston but we are flying to Quebec City afterwards and I'm finding hotels nearly as expensive as Boston! 

In  Boston we're staying it's around US$200/night for us in July - your dates should be cheaper I'd have though - that's for an ensuite room- too old for dorms! Its in Chinatown - very near Boston Common - so very central. I don't know if the link is allowed but google hi boston - you'll find it. We book on booking.com because we can cancel without penalty if required 

Edited by lissie
removed link

53 minutes ago, lissie said:

Europe is cheaper in my experience - I may be biased because the weak NZ$ isn't helping us either. 

I'm curious where you are staying in Quebec City - our cruise is round trip to Boston but we are flying to Quebec City afterwards and I'm finding hotels nearly as expensive as Boston! 

In  Boston we're staying it's around US$200/night for us in July - your dates should be cheaper I'd have though - that's for an ensuite room- too old for dorms! Its in Chinatown - very near Boston Common - so very central. I don't know if the link is allowed but google hi boston - you'll find it. We book on booking.com because we can cancel without penalty if required 

Try the Sainte Anne, on rue Ste. Anne- on lovely side street in the old city - we had a very comfortable room last July at just over $200/night..   While you can surely find something cheaper outside the walls, it seems a shame to go to Quebec and not stay in the old city.

• Like 1

I stayed at The Clarendon in the Old City back in October. Highly recommend it🙂Lovely hotel with lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 6:44 PM, princeton123211 said:

Keep in mind that Chelsea and East Boston are not the best areas of town-- I wouldn't classify this as "walkable" for someone from out of town from a safety standpoint. Its an area thats slowly getting gentrified-- I'm sure its much better than what it was when I lived there years ago. But I would exercise caution-- there is still gang activity in the area and there are no major tourist attractions. 

Will take that under consideration.  How about just walking to public transportation? 

4 hours ago, lissie said:

Lissie,

Thank you for your input. We like booking.com too when needed, but unfortunately, the HI in Boston even with a private bathroom comes out to over $700 US for two nights. Too much for us.

Similarly in QC, I have already booked a room at the 
Le Château du Faubourg B&B (Grand Suite, 1 Queen Bed with Sofa bed, Non Smoking, City View) at a cost of $499.49 US for three nights which is a better deal, but not necessarily quite what we wanted.  It does have decent reviews and comes with breakfast. 

At this point I figure it's best to have something booked in both places so as not to be *homeless* when we get there, however I'm always looking and exploring other options.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lissie said:

Fall is peak season for Boston (my daughter goes to college there).

23 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Try the Sainte Anne, on rue Ste. Anne- on lovely side street in the old city - we had a very comfortable room last July at just over $200/night..   While you can surely find something cheaper outside the walls, it seems a shame to go to Quebec and not stay in the old city.

Funny I actually made a provisional booking at that hotel before I saw this reply - I agree about the location. Unfortuantely the price has gone up a fair bit C$270 /night 

19 hours ago, afn10305 said:

At this point I figure it's best to have something booked in both places so as not to be *homeless* when we get there, however I'm always looking and exploring other options.  

Yes I'm doing the same thing! I'm hoping that once we move onto Western Canada it won't be so booked up - I hate having to commit to days in a city before I've been there!  

My problem with QC is that I don't know how many nights until tour companies start advertising tours for the summer - and obviosuly its a bit early for that at the moment 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 10:20 PM, Thechamp555 said:

I've shopped for hotels in Boston but they are ridiculously expensive. Often $400/night !😯

Any suggestions for one night before my cruise this October?

Thanks !

Beat the bushes for park sleep cruise hotels! Then call for info as some have airports shuttle and cruise transport available. Boston is very expensive. Unless you stay in outskirts like Revere !

Revere and Quincy have some lodging right on the subway.  It will be a "two seat ride" (or three) or you can take a cab or uber, but lower cost lodging is possible.  October is always very expensive in Boston due to foliage, the Head of the Charles Regatta, and college Homecomings.

• 4 weeks later...