Boston hotels please

Thechamp555

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I didn't think they wanted cruisers parking in the EDIC garage at the port. I had no issues using the "official" MassPort parking with the shuttle in April.

OK, thanks.  I was not aware of this change. Can you be more descriptive about where the Massport parking lot is located and brief directions for out of state cruise passengers? I don't want to hi-jack this thread.  Maybe we should start a new thread!

• 4 months later...
On 4/5/2022 at 10:17 AM, princeton123211 said:

For sightseeing, yes. This will allow you to walk to anything you would like to. And that is a poor characterization of the hotels-- some of them are older, but they are the nicest hotels generally in town.

A lot of luxury properties that have been well maintained. Some rooms, like in The Newbury (which is a former Ritz Carlton dating from the 1920s), are small, but they are brand new in that they were fully renovated less than a year ago. Another grande dame hotel, which is my personal favorite, is The Fairmont Copley Plaza. 

There are also newer, modern hotels like the W, Ritz Carlton, Intercontinental, Westin Copley Place etc. All of these are going to be more expensive than the Seaport, but most of the hotels listed here are of a higher quality than you will find in the Seaport (and will be priced higher). Just really depends if the price difference is worth it to you. 

The HoHo can be fine for a quick visit but Boston is also one of the most walkable cities in the Northeast. You can check off most things by just walking the Freedom Trail. To save time you can take an Uber over to Charlestown Navy Yard to see USS Constitution but aside from that the bus might be overkill. You'll see more on foot with all the smaller streets that the bus cant access. 

Your posts have been very helpful in our search for a hotel in Boston and things to do and see.  You stated your favorite hotel was the Fairmont Copley Plaza.  Unfortunately, the cost per night was nearly $700 and more than we can pay.  The Newbury Guest House is more reasonable.  Would you say this is a good choice and would you be pleased to stay there?  It appears the location is close to many things.  I would appreciate any comments regarding the Newbury Guest House and it's location.

Thank you so much for taking the time to be helpful to others, it is most appreciated.  

1 hour ago, Nitemare said:

The Newbury is fine.  I used to work a block away and we regularly had out of town staff stay there.  It's not fancy or memorable but it is well located and comfortable

Thank you for your reply.  Sounds good especially since the cost is within reason.

5 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

The Newbury is $600 per night for our dates.

Did you have a question? I don't see that you requested assistance, if you'd like help please provide dates, budget and bedding requirements and we can try to help

On 4/5/2022 at 11:27 AM, Beth and Bailey said:

OK..  such trepidation in booking things. LOL..  Thanks so much to all of your for your suggestions of what is where and access/transportation.

I booked the Godfrey..  

The Godfrey is a great hotel.   Clean, friendly, great beds and linens, and of course, great location.  Enjoy!

On 3/22/2022 at 7:26 AM, Nitemare said:

Hotels in cities like Boston and NYC are very date dependent.  The two most expensive weekends of the year here are the Boston Marathon weekend in April and the Head of the Charles Regatta in October as we attract visitors from around to world to compete in these World Class events.

When is your visit?  What are your bedding requirements?

I'd also add college graduation time and arriving for a new college semester time for busy as well. We always use points for hotel stays.

Edited by roomba920

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, fenton04 said:

Airport, seaport, or something near Fenway!

None of the above-- if you are going to go to a game, split the difference between seaport and Fenway and stay centrally in Back Bay or downtown by Public Garden/Boston Common/Faneuil Hall.

You'll have easy access by both public transport or taxi/Uber to both Fenway as well as your ship when its time to sail and you'll be in walking distance to most historical things and restaurants. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

None of the above-- if you are going to go to a game, split the difference between seaport and Fenway and stay centrally in Back Bay or downtown by Public Garden/Boston Common/Faneuil Hall.

You'll have easy access by both public transport or taxi/Uber to both Fenway as well as your ship when its time to sail and you'll be in walking distance to most historical things and restaurants. 

Many thanks.

On 11/14/2022 at 6:27 PM, fenton04 said:

Taking a 9/10/23 cruise out of Boston.  We are huge baseball fans and would love to go to a game.  Not familiar with Boston.  Airport, seaport, or something near Fenway!  

We are taking a cruise out of Boston on 9-10-23 as well!  Do you happen to be sailing on the Celebrity Summit?  We're not familiar with Boston either.

Cathy

10 hours ago, 1349cruisers said:

We are taking a cruise out of Boston on 9-10-23 as well!  Do you happen to be sailing on the Celebrity Summit?  We're not familiar with Boston either.

Cathy

Yes we will be on the Summit.  At this point we are planning a three day pre.  The Red Sox will be in town playing Baltimore.  Tickets are not presently on sale.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fenton04 said:

Yes we will be on the Summit.  At this point we are planning a three day pre.  The Red Sox will be in town playing Baltimore.  Tickets are not presently on sale.  

We are planning on 3 days as well.  We're looking forward to it.

Cathy

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2022 at 2:55 PM, Karen Lynn said:

We're a group planning a post Summit hotel stay next September..only 2 nights so assume downtown best choice? Fairmont seems popular , any thoughts on Boston Park Plaza?

Many thanks!!

Both are good and well located. Park Plaza is known for having some tiny rooms.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 2:55 PM, Karen Lynn said:

Fairmont seems popular , any thoughts on Boston Park Plaza?

They're not really in the same category-- Fairmont Copley Plaza is a recently renovated 4.5 star hotel. It's a Boston landmark in its own right-- the rooms are tastefully updated and the public rooms are spectacular. It's not a true 5 star like the Four Seasons or Ritz are, but it's just a tiny step down from them, firmly in the luxury category, and can be a great value for what you get.   

Boston Park Plaza is more in the 3+ star category more on the budget side than luxury. Rooms, while given an update, are for the most part minuscule in size and the bathrooms will remind you of being on a ship. It certainly serves a purpose and has a great location, but the two hotels are not apples for apples aside from their physical proximity. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 12:04 PM, Thechamp555 said:

I found a descent hotel , the Holiday Inn Express . 10 minutes walk from subway and really good reviews with a great breakfast . Just over 200 . Pretty good for the quality of the hotel. No worry from past comments. You may check this one if interested. 😆

Wife and I will be cruising out of Boston in October 2023. Arriving on the 12th, boarding on the 13th. I just had a look in the area for hotels and like you I nearly fell off my chair. The only thing reasonable (in my opinion) is the Holiday Inn Express @ $232 USD including taxes.

Most are in the $285 - $570 USD (pre tax) range, just for single nights sleep. As I'm Canadian the current exchange rate is about 1.4, so anywhere from 400-800 CAD before tax, that's nuts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I think that's Columbus Day weekend. It's a popular weekend for the colleges.

And if the Holiday Inn Express being referred to is the one in Dorchester right by the highway, I don't think you could pay me to stay there.

Not knowing anything about the area, yes that was the one that was ‘cheapest’. So what you’re saying is that’s it’s a bad hotel, and I should look elsewhere…

33 minutes ago, oceancrusin said:

Not knowing anything about the area, yes that was the one that was ‘cheapest’. So what you’re saying is that’s it’s a bad hotel, and I should look elsewhere…

The hotel might be fine. It's the area altogether I wouldn't stay in.

On 12/1/2022 at 5:40 AM, oceancrusin said:

Wife and I will be cruising out of Boston in October 2023. Arriving on the 12th, boarding on the 13th. I just had a look in the area for hotels and like you I nearly fell off my chair. The only thing reasonable (in my opinion) is the Holiday Inn Express @ $232 USD including taxes.

Most are in the $285 - $570 USD (pre tax) range, just for single nights sleep. As I'm Canadian the current exchange rate is about 1.4, so anywhere from 400-800 CAD before tax, that's nuts.

Thanks to this thread - I   rapidly checked prices for our cruise ex Boston on the 29 July - all I can say the NZ $ is even weaker than the Canadian - and as its our first time we want to spend 3 days. 

I have a refundable booking for a private ensuite at the Hostel International Boston on Stuart street - its STILL over US$200/night - but at least its central and has good reviews. As an ex backpacker I'm still quite happy to  stay at the odd hostel if they are in the best location and I can get a private room - no frills but always clean and friendly - private rooms always have linen and towels