Asking for extra appetizer and entries at mdr

2 hours ago, ditmar2007 said:

I may be able to accept that, but ordering a lot of food just because you paid for it AND NOT EAT IT!!! That is - IMNSHO - so much waste of resources. WW2 makes waves in Europe several generations after the event.

If you are hungry enough to eat it - go for it. 

They ate every bit of the extra food they asked for

On 3/26/2022 at 11:13 AM, snoopycr said:

Thank you for all your responses. How about at a specialty restaurant, like chops or Park 150.

Can you ask for extra appetizers or main course? 

In general it's one entree at specialty restaurants.  A couple of exceptions

1) pasta can be ordered as an additional course at the Italian places.  

2) Wonderland has been known to serve more entrees than persons at the table, but I'm not sure if that was an exception.

On 3/26/2022 at 10:13 AM, snoopycr said:

Thank you for all your responses. How about at a specialty restaurant, like chops or Park 150.

Can you ask for extra appetizers or main course? 

On occasion, the both of us might order an appetizer each and one to split, but we don't go ape-crazy there.

And it's never been a problem.

On 3/27/2022 at 8:32 AM, vacationlover_mn said:

On a related note, you can also just order apps, and have some come when the other main courses come out 🙂. Since they haven’t switched up their menu in a while, and I don’t have a huge appetite, I often will just get my favorite apps, and spread them out over the entire meal 🙂. I’m sure that if they refresh their menu, I’ll go back to trying the entrees 🙂. That reminds me- I really need to start asking if I can try the Indian food that isn’t on the menu- I’ve heard it’s very good!!!

Yes.  The Indian food is really good!

But I feel a little guilty as my wife and I just wanted to try some curried goat.  We inquired on the first night and they brought a 7 course feast to us on the first night and every night for the rest of the cruise.  Every night something different.

We don't like to waste food, so we ate it all, and enjoyed it.

We feel guilty because we think the indian food comes from the staff dining hall.  Would hate to think a staffer taking his meal break was without because the last serving was given to a customer.

But we did give them an extra tip on the last night.

Edited by BillHoo
  • Like 2

I always get shrimp cocktail and escargot as my appetizers and sometimes the specialty app  as well or instead of one.   On lobster night I always get three lobster tails (hey, they're small).  On our last cruise my wife got the lamb chops while I got the lobster. The chops were so good we ordered another and shared them.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

We feel guilty because we think the indian food comes from the staff dining hall.  Would hate to think a staffer taking his meal break was without because the last serving was given to a customer.

I'm not sure that is the case so I would not feel guilty.  Many of the MDR menus have optional curry dishes available each night (especially since some of them are vegetarian) and the Wind Jammer typically has Indian dishes every night also.  The kitchen is used to preparing them for cruisers and I highly doubt they are taking the crew's food, so enjoy it when you order without guilt!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BillHoo said:

We inquired on the first night and they brought a 7 course feast to us on the first night and every night for the rest of the cruise.  Every night something different.

Same with us. DW mentioned curry and without asking they brought some out each night with whatever else she ordered.

In Specialty Restaurants they asked us if we wanted more.  At Hooked they ask a few times if we wanted more lobster tails.  In Jamie’s I did not like the main course so they asked if I wanted to try something else.  Not saying all specialty restaurants serve unlimited main courses but we have always had good experience.  Never remember a limit on appetizers or desserts.  

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 10:11 AM, Joebucks said:

First formal night on longer cruise is always both lobster and prime rib for me. Great meal.

And most times the waiter starts with 2 lobster tails per person.  And will bring more if requested.

I also do the primer rib and lobster combo.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

In Specialty Restaurants they asked us if we wanted more.  At Hooked they ask a few times if we wanted more lobster tails.  In Jamie’s I did not like the main course so they asked if I wanted to try something else.  Not saying all specialty restaurants serve unlimited main courses but we have always had good experience.  Never remember a limit on appetizers or desserts.  

The only thing that is limited is the main (entree) in speciality restaurants.  Appetizers, sides and desserts are unlimited.  And in the Italian restaurant, pasta course is unlimited also.

And you can get another entree for a small fee, less than the full speciality restaurant charge.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2022 at 10:11 AM, Joebucks said:

First formal night on longer cruise is always both lobster and prime rib for me. Great meal.

On the RC cruises I have taken over the last several years, the first formal night has NOT been prime rib and lobster.  On RC the 2nd formal night is lobster night, but prime rib is not that night.

It seems to me you are thinking of Carnival who does serve prime rib and lobster on the first formal night.

Also, someone asked about ordering a 2nd entree in a specialty restaurants.  I know it was posted that pasta could be ordered along with another entree in the Italian restaurant and in Hibachi, but you are also able to order an entree such as a filet in Chops on the lobster night and get lobster in addition to the filet.  We have done this on several cruises to have surf n turf on the 2nd formal night.

Edited by katiel53
Added info

4 hours ago, SRF said:

The only thing that is limited is the main (entree) in speciality restaurants.  Appetizers, sides and desserts are unlimited.  And in the Italian restaurant, pasta course is unlimited also.

And you can get another entree for a small fee, less than the full speciality restaurant charge.

I understand that is the norm but Hooked served our table of four a few extra lobster tails with no extra charge on Symphony.  You can’t count on exceptions but it happens.  Most go the extra mile to please.

• Like 1

The lobster is near the end of the  7 day cruise . 

They are tiny and nothing special .

They also have beef tenderloin on the same night if i recall correctly, so i ordered both.

5 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Feel free to ask for seconds but don't waste food just because it is already paid for.

It's already prepared and ready to go, so it's not really wasting anything.  All leftover food that isn't eaten is ground up and since it's organic it's pumped out as fish food.   We find that a salad and another app and the main is plenty of food for us, but some people eat more.  They are more than willing to bring more out and in a lot of cases will bring out items that weren't even ordered so people can try them.  I think this applies to some things that they end up with more left than they thought as we eat second seating.

On 3/26/2022 at 1:49 PM, Ashland said:

We have found lobster only on the 2nd formal night on RCI...but that may vary according to your experience. We like to order a side of just the lobster tail with our meat option and they always bring the whole dinner...what a waste.

On a recent cruise our maitre d stopped by to chat us up and asked if we were looking forward to lobster the next night. I mentioned offhandedly I don't normally order it as it's always too salty but being from the maritimes I do love lobster. Next night when our steaks came we got a big platter of specially prepared lobster with no salt added for the table! Completely unexpected! 

We had a lot of envious looks from nearby tables. Lobster was perfect!

That staff got a very nice tip at the end of the cruise!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, katiel53 said:

On the RC cruises I have taken over the last several years, the first formal night has NOT been prime rib and lobster.  On RC the 2nd formal night is lobster night, but prime rib is not that night.

It seems to me you are thinking of Carnival who does serve prime rib and lobster on the first formal night.

Also, someone asked about ordering a 2nd entree in a specialty restaurants.  I know it was posted that pasta could be ordered along with another entree in the Italian restaurant and in Hibachi, but you are also able to order an entree such as a filet in Chops on the lobster night and get lobster in addition to the filet.  We have done this on several cruises to have surf n turf on the 2nd formal night.

I agree that lobster night has been the second "formal" night on RCI.  But every time I have sailed, they had prime rib on the menu on lobster night.  I have done the surf and turf almost every time.

If you are in Chops, you need to specify the MDR lobster, not the Chops lobster. 😄

14 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I understand that is the norm but Hooked served our table of four a few extra lobster tails with no extra charge on Symphony.  You can’t count on exceptions but it happens.  Most go the extra mile to please.

If it is lobster night in the MDR, you can typically get lobster for a free add on in the speciality restaurants.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

I agree that lobster night has been the second "formal" night on RCI.  But every time I have sailed, they had prime rib on the menu on lobster night.  I have done the surf and turf almost every time.

Pretty sure it's beef tenderloin on lobster night, not prime rib.  I always do the "surf and turf" each time, too.  

4 hours ago, brillohead said:

I went back to my Navigator pics from January and found this:

IMG_20220122_200549389.jpg

Different ships, different menus.

On every sailing on Grandeur, it was prime rib on lobster night.  No pictures, but my mouth remembers. 😄

35 minutes ago, SRF said:

Different ships, different menus.

On every sailing on Grandeur, it was prime rib on lobster night.  No pictures, but my mouth remembers. 😄

I've never done Grandeur, but it was the same menu on Freedom, Symphony, Allure, and Jewel in Nov/Dec 2021 also.

• Like 1