Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

I was booked on the Ruby Princess tomorrow, but I cancelled before final payment. I’m glad that I did. I know that the majority of passengers don’t get sick. I know everyone makes their own decisions based on risk versus reward. I just wouldn’t enjoy myself worrying about this stuff every day. That’s just me. 

Adding that NCL and Celebrity are sailing mask free. NCL has self serve buffet. I don’t know about Celebrity. I don’t blame Princess for being competitive. Everyone going on a cruise ( or the grocery store, shopping mall, movie theater, etc ) know they could catch Covid. It sounds like some people are blaming Princess. Each individual is taking a risk when they get on the ship. And, that’s why I’m not cruising. Sadly. 

I hope everyone gets well. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Ronnieslady said:

I have been reporting that the Ruby has been in the Orange since the 24th according to the CDC.  And besides the Ruby being Orange, so is the Majestic, the Grand & the Caribbean Princess.  Princess must have been aware before that even.   Wondering if any of the other ships besides the Ruby have told their passengers.  So that way the choice is yours , be cautious or not.  Give us the #s from day one.  

I can’t speak for the last 24 hours, but I was on the Grand from 3/10 to 3/25 and it was orange then.  They never told us a word.  As I stated in another thread, my waiter and assistant waiter for my permanent table both disappeared a couple of days apart, never came back, with no explanation.

I finally started spending most of my day in my cabin after learning we were orange.  The final straw for me was how a maskless Hawaiian ambassador would chat and hug every unmasked guest in the Piazza  - literally ALL of them as she made her nightly rounds.  Twice she came up and did it to me even though I wore my mask everywhere and it bothered me so much that I stopped attending her performances.  Having someone share cheek contact with a bunch of unmasked people ( some of whom had been coughing) then do it to me, was too much for me.  

I understand how people are tired of masking.  I understand Princess doesnt want to lose money.  But to know we are orange, and to keep us in the dark about it while partying like it is 2019 is too much for me.  I booked the cruise when there was a mask mandate.  I could only get FCCs if I cancelled, so I went and wore a mask everywhere.  But I nearly literally ran off that ship yesterday and could not get off fast enough.

Edited by CACruiser1973
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Optotronics said:

Can’t order food or drink from the app in quarantine area. Ordered 2 cokes with our lunch than never arrived and called to reorder. It’s now several hours after lunch without getting the soft drinks.

now all the call numbers they gave us just ring busy.

yea, I’m a whiner when I’m sick and thirsty for something cold in my sore throat

I would call the front desk and let them know that you can’t get through and you would like something cold to help your sore throat.  Feel better. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CACruiser1973 said:

I can’t speak for the last 24 hours, but I was on the Grand from 3/10 to 3/25 and it was orange then.  They never told us a word.  As I stated in another thread, my waiter and assistant waiter for my permanent table both disappeared a couple of days apart, never came back, with no explanation.

I finally started spending most of my day in my cabin after learning we were orange.  The final straw for me was how a maskless Hawaiian ambassador would chat and hug every unmasked guest in the Piazza  - literally ALL of them as she made her nightly rounds.  Twice she came up and did it to me even though I wore my mask everywhere and it bothered me so much that I stopped attending her performances.  Having someone share cheek contact with a bunch of people, then do it to me, was too much for me.  

I understand how people are tired of masking.  I understand Princess doesnt want to lose money.  But to know we are orange, and to keep us in the dark about it while partying like it is 2019 is too much for me.  I booked the cruise when there was a mask mandate.  I could only get FCCs if I cancelled, so I went and wore a mask everywhere.  But I nearly literally ran off that ship yesterday and could not get off fast enough.

How are you feeling right now . I pray you are or will be okay.   The part about keeping us & other passengers in the dark is something I can’t & never will  agree with.  It makes no sense.   Why not tell us the truth. By not telling us the truth do they think they are gaining brownie points with us.  It certainly doesn’t. In fact it just makes me NOT believe a word they say, either verbally or written!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ronnieslady said:

It’s been yellow since the 24th, when I 1st checked 

When I checked, it was green and Panorama was orange. That was when I posted. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just reporting what I saw after it was reported as being red. I suppose it's immaterial at this point, it is what it is. I'll defer. 

28 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I would call the front desk and let them know that you can’t get through and you would like something cold to help your sore throat.  Feel better. 

This could work.  I have a great little thing I do , when I am kept waiting too long @ the Doctors office & I’m in a room. I will open the door & stand in the door way & look around like wondering what’s going on or have they forgotten me.  I usually get their attention that way.  If anyone has to wait that long for a beverage I would certainly keep standing there in the hall & tell them you will wait right there until they bring that soft drink with a bucket of ice .  Or do they want you to go get it yourself  

I sure hope the OP reads this.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ronnieslady said:

I would certainly keep standing there in the hall & tell them you will wait right there until they bring that soft drink with a bucket of ice

No. OP was placed in quarantine. It is unfortunate that she's inconvenienced but if she breaks quarantine she might be / should be added to a 'no sail list' to protect everyone else. Being in a 4.5☆ hotel for up to 4 days is another unfortunate inconvenience. But to suggest behaviors like those Karen's who refuse to mask on flights is inappropriate. 

I can find nothing to indicate that this is an 'outbreak' which would suggest numbers higher than general population. It's more like 'contracted covid onboard.' 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, Ronnieslady said:

This could work.  I have a great little thing I do , when I am kept waiting too long @ the Doctors office & I’m in a room. I will open the door & stand in the door way & look around like wondering what’s going on or have they forgotten me.  I usually get their attention that way.  If anyone has to wait that long for a beverage I would certainly keep standing there in the hall & tell them you will wait right there until they bring that soft drink with a bucket of ice .  Or do they want you to go get it yourself  

I sure hope the OP reads this.  

Is the OP allowed out of the room?  Maybe they can use the chat feature on the application and/or call the front desk. I hope the OP is feeling better.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

This was our experience on the Sky in November. The clerk in the store called and reported a customer had just purchased Tums and said someone should follow up with the customer. I assume she contacted the medical department but obviously I don’t know this for sure. 

I have read several reports of this happening. We travel with a  well-stocked stash of OTC medication. Which now includes Covid self-tests. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

Odd that there were no outbreaks when Princess had enhanced protocols on their ships and then when they basically do away with them they are starting to have problems on their ships.  It is only going to get worse probably as BA.2 Omnicron Subvariant spreads throughout US.  Let’s not forget that the Ruby Princess’s history is that over 900 cases of Covid 19 and 28 deaths were linked to the ship in March 2020.

Lets also remember that was before vaccines, boosters, vaccine requirements, testing, and people who have ready had COVID.  The medical world was just figuring out what Covid was.  We are not back in March 2020. 

• Like 10

5 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Yeah, I'm sure they took on all that extra debt and diluted their shares massively because half empty ships were profitable. 

You said ships would sail empty.

They did not.  As I said.

There was no comment about where ships were profitable, or not.

Clearly, you just like to argue.

34 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I have read several reports of this happening. We travel with a  well-stocked stash of OTC medication. Which now includes Covid self-tests. 

Besides the benedryl, pepto, imodium, dayquill, nyquill, throat lozenges, cough syrup, fever reducer,  self tests and any other OTC meds you normally need, try to get your doctor to prescribe a course of paxlovid to take if the test comes back positive.  Also, I would put any trash from the above back in your suitcase and not the trash can.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ronnieslady said:

How are you feeling right now . I pray you are or will be okay.   The part about keeping us & other passengers in the dark is something I can’t & never will  agree with.  It makes no sense.   Why not tell us the truth. By not telling us the truth do they think they are gaining brownie points with us.  It certainly doesn’t. In fact it just makes me NOT believe a word they say, either verbally or written!!!!!!

I have had a headache for the last few days and some dizziness the first night home.  A bit of cough but I am fine, thank you for asking.  I took an at home test and it was negative.  Looks like my mole strategy of rarely leaving my room and heavy duty mask paid off.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ronnieslady said:

It makes no sense.   Why not tell us the truth. 

This reminds me of a scene from the movie A Few Good Men when good old Jack said "the truth..... You can't handle the truth"

Don't get me wrong, I am a man who believes in everything in life should be 100% transparent in order for me to make the best decision I can (and I'm not just talking about this Ruby issue).

Sadly, there are too many people that really think other people can't handle the truth, which makes me sad.

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

I can find nothing to indicate that this is an 'outbreak' which would suggest numbers higher than general population.

Hi Ombud,

This tread was started with the info that the Captain of the Ruby on Friday night made the announcement that from this moment, all passengers must wear KN95 masks everywhere inside ship because they identified "some" positive cases of Covid (see letter that has been posted early in thread below).

I think we all know that the captain is the ultimate authority of the health and safety of everyone onboard. I feel (just my opinion), there is no way he/she is going to make this kind of announcement and protocol change unless they have the fact's that cases are climbing much higher than what would be normal or typical. What that case number is I don't think anyone of us will ever know.

But, I just don't feel the captain would just be flipped about this. He/she had their reason.

21 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

E70531ED-79A4-4989-9161-71A7EF29B082.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

That same letter is alerting passengers to the same issues on the Sky, Grand , Majestic& Ruby  right now.  Covid is on the spread. Sky, passenger mike on fb posted they got letter over 100 in quarantine now as they approach Southampton March 28 th.

Edited by 007colocruz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Lets also remember that was before vaccines, boosters, vaccine requirements, testing, and people who have ready had COVID.  The medical world was just figuring out what Covid was.  We are not back in March 2020. 

Agreed.   What does March 2020 cases have to do with today?

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, 007colocruz said:

That same letter is alerting passengers to the same issues on the Sky, Grand , Majestic& Ruby  right now.  Covid is on the spread. Sky, passenger mike on fb posted they got letter over 100 in quarantine now as they approach Southampton March 28 th.

I just got off the Grand and tested positive at home yesterday morning, the day after disembarkation. So I'm not at all surprised that Grand passengers are getting the letter. The lack of testing, masking and distancing was disappointing, and it is showing in the increasing numbers. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pompeii said:

I just got off the Grand and tested positive at home yesterday morning, the day after disembarkation. So I'm not at all surprised that Grand passengers are getting the letter. The lack of testing, masking and distancing was disappointing, and it is showing in the increasing numbers. 

I am so sorry! If anything - I am hoping Princess changes protocols as I sail this next weekend.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KruzPrincess said:

I was booked on the Ruby Princess tomorrow, but I cancelled before final payment. I’m glad that I did. I know that the majority of passengers don’t get sick. I know everyone makes their own decisions based on risk versus reward. I just wouldn’t enjoy myself worrying about this stuff every day. That’s just me. 

Adding that NCL and Celebrity are sailing mask free. NCL has self serve buffet. I don’t know about Celebrity. I don’t blame Princess for being competitive. Everyone going on a cruise ( or the grocery store, shopping mall, movie theater, etc ) know they could catch Covid. It sounds like some people are blaming Princess. Each individual is taking a risk when they get on the ship. And, that’s why I’m not cruising. Sadly. 

I hope everyone gets well. 

I'm sorry you felt you had to cancel.  Everyone has to do what they feel is right.

BTW, I was on Celebrity in September and February.  Drinks were self-serve in the buffet, but main courses and desserts were served by the crew.

I too hope everyone involved in this situation gets well and gets treated well by Princess and other institutions that become part of this story.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, pompeii said:

Any advice for those of us sailing soon? Is there some areas that you think I should better protect myself?

• Like 1

OP - I hope you are doing OK.

As I read this, it seems like the crew doesn't know how to handle cases on board. The industry has had pretty much a year and a half pause to figure it out for when they do start sailing again.

I'm just surprised they don't have it more "together" and are risking being shut down again.

I also think testing at the terminal is so much better at mitigating a high number of cases on board than 2 or 3 days before.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, 007colocruz said:

That same letter is alerting passengers to the same issues on the Sky, Grand , Majestic& Ruby  right now.

May I ask where you saw that a letter was given to passengers on the Majestic? The reason I ask is there has been a Live thread for the past 2 weeks on the Majestic and there was no mention of the mask letter being given to those passengers. I’m tagging the OP of the Live thread in hopes that she can confirm if the passengers received such letter prior to yesterday’s disembarkation. @jwattle