Panama Canal and Costa Rica

saturn3

Looking to book a cruise for March 2023. Seems there are just a few options , but is there a certain month by when cruise lines fill there cruises for next year. And looking for a cruise that cruises through the Panama canal. Any recommendations for a cruise or cruise line would be much appreciated.

Saturn

A full transit ?

Budget?

There are several that do a full transit  & more that do a partial transit  (they go through the 1st set of locks)

just depends on how many days you want to sail

Go to FIND A CRUISE at the top of the page here &  select the Panama Canal & the month you want to sail  it will bring up many options

15 minutes ago, wheezedr said:

I would recommend a full transit and would look for a ship that does the original locks if you are looking for the classic experience 

Agree 100%.  I also recommend David McCullough's The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870–1914 for the historical background of this (the original locks) engineering marvel that also produced great medical advances.

• Like 2

Sorry not being totally familiar with a cruise of this type to know the difference between full and partial transit. Plus is there a particular cruise line that does a better job with this type of cruise than others based on experience. Maybe there will be more cruises choices as the year progresses. 
thanks to all in advance.

saturn  

A partial transit enters the canal from one side, most commonly the Atlantic,  spends time in Gatun Lake, then essentially does a 180 and exits back out to the Atlantic.  A full transit crosses from the Atlantic to the Pacific or vice versa.  Fulls most commonly sail from Miami/FTL  to one of the west coast ports, LA, SF, SD and even Vancouver.  To satisfy the PVSA they generally stop inCartagena or one of the ABC’s.  I also always recommend reading The Path Between the Seas

2 hours ago, saturn3 said:

Looking to book a cruise for March 2023. Seems there are just a few options , but is there a certain month by when cruise lines fill there cruises for next year. And looking for a cruise that cruises through the Panama canal. Any recommendations for a cruise or cruise line would be much appreciated.

Saturn

They fill their cruises when they fill their cruises.  Nobody can predict when that may be especially considering that bookings to replace cancelled bookings are going sort of crazy now.

DON

I have sailed with Princess through the Panama Canal several times. 

As you are comparing itineraries I recommend a cruise that transits the canal one day and also has a port day in Panama so you can experience more of the country. 

NCL is offering cruises from NYC to Panama City and a return cruise next January and February. 

When you say 'fill their cruises', are you asking if they will be listing more cruises?  The answer is no.  Disregarding the Covid period where cruises have been shuffled mercilessly, itineraries are posted more than a year in advance.  So for now, what you see is what you get.  And there are no fire sales on Panama Canal cruises.  EM

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

We just booked a cruise on Holland America, March 14 to 25, 2023.  From Fort Lauderdale it goes to Aruba, Curacao, Colombia, Panama, and Costa Rica.  It does a partial transit of the canal.  You could check it out on the HAL website if that itinerary appeals to you.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RAS4331 said:

We just booked a cruise on Holland America, March 14 to 25, 2023.  From Fort Lauderdale it goes to Aruba, Curacao, Colombia, Panama, and Costa Rica.  It does a partial transit of the canal.  You could check it out on the HAL website if that itinerary appeals to you.

We sailed this itinerary on Zuiderdam a number of years ago.  While you just go halfway and turn around in Gatun Lake, you still do get a good view of the canal.   Since OP is from Rhode Island, he might find the related travel easier and less expensive than that which would be required for the longer (and likely more expensive) one way itinerary.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2022 at 8:17 PM, wheezedr said:

A partial transit enters the canal from one side, most commonly the Atlantic,  spends time in Gatun Lake, then essentially does a 180 and exits back out to the Atlantic.  A full transit crosses from the Atlantic to the Pacific or vice versa.  Fulls most commonly sail from Miami/FTL  to one of the west coast ports, LA, SF, SD and even Vancouver.  To satisfy the PVSA they generally stop inCartagena or one of the ABC’s.  I also always recommend reading The Path Between the Seas

We did a partial transit on Princess.  From the lake, we boarded a small ferry sized boat which took us the rest of the way to the Pacific.    From there we were bused back to our cruise ship.   I was kind of neat being on a small boat in the locks and sharing the locks with other vessels.   

• Like 1

Have done the full transit twice on Princess.  It would be my recommendation.

I also recommend David McCullough's The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870–1914 for the historical background of this (the original locks) engineering marvel that also produced great medical advances.  His writing is so interesting.  I'm reading his book now on the Wright Brothers.  Maybe a cruise to "Kitty Hawk' is in my future.  lol

BTW, take along your state flag so you can display it during the picture taking as you go through the canals.

We're doing the full transit from San Pedro, Los Angeles to Tampa, Florida on RCI Serenade this October 2nd-15th....Booked this when the schedule first opened and it sold out very quickly. A few cabins became available just after final payment date but at very high rates. So OP book a Panama Canal cruise regardless of the cruiseline when you can.