I won my credit card dispute am I blacklisted?

nolaluv

I filed a cc dispute against Celebrity and I was refunded 100% of my charges. I canceled the day before Celebrity canceled my March 2020 cruise. Celebrity didn’t go down without a fight but I made phone calls to Celebrity, had email records and screenshots of the policies in place when I canceled and submitted all of this. At that time, their policies  said immunocompromised people would be denied boarding due to Covid concerns. There was also some other policy that was the first iteration of what ended up being the cruise with confidence policy. It ONLY offered (and I received) FCC which my husband couldn’t use based on the policy at the time I canceled since he is a transplant recipient. Ultimately, I rebutted all of their rebuttals to the cc dispute and prevailed after a lengthy process because the no immunocompromised people being allowed to board wasn’t a thing when I purchased but it was when I canceled.  I was legally entitled to a refund under consumer protection laws because I was not able to use the goods/services as described when I paid for them at the time of my cancellation.

I am planning on taking another cruise (without him) and I wonder if Celebrity or RCCL has policies in place for those of us who won cc disputes such as not allowing us to book or adding “cancellation” or other fees to current bookings. Anyone else who won cc disputes face hiccups when attempting to book a new cruise? 

Edited by nolaluv

You shouldn't be banned.    I did the same for a cancelled cruise the day the shut down began.     They charged my credit card for an upgrade two days prior to the shutdown and I disputed the charge and Celebrity accepted the bill back (or because they were swamped didn't respond in time).

I've been on 2 cruises since and have 12 more booked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I doubt you are banned.  I was double charged by Celebrity for a beverage package many years ago.  I tried and tried to get Celebrity to refund it.  No luck.  So I did a chargeback through my card.  I won, and no issues since.  Been on lots of cruises since. 

14 hours ago, nolaluv said:

I filed a cc dispute against Celebrity and I was refunded 100% of my charges.

1-- You did the " right " thing -- and , won--- Good for you.

2-- I doubt Celebrity would deny you from cruising with them over a credit card dispute-- it happens all the time.

3-- For Celebrity to ban someone from cruising with them ( I only heard of one who posted it on CC a while ago without an explanation as to why ) , it must have been an extremely serious violation of their policies.  

4--Best advice-----Call them and ask. ( Experts ( ?? ) like me, really don't know ).

• Like 2

Agree that giving them a call might be a good first step. Or just try and book something and see what happens. I don't even think that the credit card would be banned, although I might have a Plan B in place if it is a trip you really want to take. It takes a lot for a cruise line to ban a potential passenger and banning a credit card might not be the best business approach- credit card companies do not like that sort of thing. Imagine if Visa were to ban Celebrity- it would be a BIG deal. So you fought for your rights and won. Personally I wouldn't give another thought unless I ran into a problem.

After having such a long dispute with  Celebrity why would  you even want to sail with them??!!

There are other cruise lines so pick one under the Carnival umbrella, not under the Royal umbrella. The company didn’t perform to your expectations regarding your refund, why give them a second chance?

42 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Very, very old reference.

Indeed. Well done!  I see a few folks have remembered it based upon some upvotes or whatever you call them.  If your recall of the individual is really good, you'll also remember why my avatar is what it is! 

55 minutes ago, canderson said:

Indeed. Well done!  I see a few folks have remembered it based upon some upvotes or whatever you call them.  If your recall of the individual is really good, you'll also remember why my avatar is what it is! 

I think that I remember that individual. Had forgot about that. That was a while ago. 

14 hours ago, Pinboy said:

1-- You did the " right " thing -- and , won--- Good for you.

2-- I doubt Celebrity would deny you from cruising with them over a credit card dispute-- it happens all the time.

3-- For Celebrity to ban someone from cruising with them ( I only heard of one who posted it on CC a while ago without an explanation as to why ) , it must have been an extremely serious violation of their policies.  

4--Best advice-----Call them and ask. ( Experts ( ?? ) like me, really don't know ).

Maybe I’m just overthinking.  It wouldn’t be the first time, lol.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

After having such a long dispute with  Celebrity why would  you even want to sail with them??!!

There are other cruise lines so pick one under the Carnival umbrella, not under the Royal umbrella. The company didn’t perform to your expectations regarding your refund, why give them a second chance?

Those were “unprecedented” as they said in their most of communication about Covid rules.  Unlike a lot of other companies that were shut down, cruise lines weren’t eligible for bailouts or other U.S government financial assistance at that time because they are largely registered overseas.  I’ve been reading recent reviews about experiences on several cruise lines. A lot of them talk about all the the different cutbacks but what I’ve read consistently is a  big decline in food quality.  I can’t imagine the food like I’ve had  on other cruise lines being cut back.  They also own RCCL, so that wouldn’t leave me a lot of options in my price range.  

12 hours ago, 5waldos said:

Agree that giving them a call might be a good first step. Or just try and book something and see what happens. I don't even think that the credit card would be banned, although I might have a Plan B in place if it is a trip you really want to take. It takes a lot for a cruise line to ban a potential passenger and banning a credit card might not be the best business approach- credit card companies do not like that sort of thing. Imagine if Visa were to ban Celebrity- it would be a BIG deal. So you fought for your rights and won. Personally I wouldn't give another thought unless I ran into a problem.

I’ve been told I need to stop creating problems before they exist. I’ll try to book once I find a cruise that fits my needs.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, nolaluv said:

I’ve been told I need to stop creating problems before they exist. I’ll try to book once I find a cruise that fits my needs.

If you do: the suggestion to use a different credit card is a good one.  I won a dispute with my home security company about 5 years ago and to this day, it won't accept that card when I set up auto-billing and/or try to make a payment.  I just use a different card.

17 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

If you do: the suggestion to use a different credit card is a good one.  I won a dispute with my home security company about 5 years ago and to this day, it won't accept that card when I set up auto-billing and/or try to make a payment.  I just use a different card.

Some of us use particular cards because of the extra benefits provided- including special discounts or included travel insurance. . I still think that I would try to use my preferred card and have another card available as Plan B. I don't know anything about security companies but I would suspect that Celebrity is a significantly larger company, especially under the RCCL umbrella,  with good business reasons not to start refusing certain credit cards. Perhaps I would "lose" my current card and get a new card and new number but until I ran into a problem, I would assume that all would be well. 

I know somebody that was banned by a cruise line, not X. .  Also, know people that were banned by tour operators.  They complained and were told to not book again.  They also wrote very negative reviews.  The tours were changed drastically leaving guests without guides.  They didn't have credit card issues.They probably wouldn't book with those companies again. They still travel.  There's so many companies ready to take your booking.

15 hours ago, nolaluv said:

Agree.  The one thing I am sure about is the people in marketing and TAs have little or no discussion with accounting unless there is a problem.

You answered your own question.  Book it.

People are typically only "blacklisted", or banned, from a cruise line if they are involved with behavior on board that would create risk or harm to another passenger, crew member, or the ship, or were engaged in illegal activity on board or in a port of call.  (In a port of call they likely would be arrested and denied re-boarding). Typically they would be removed from the ship at the next port of call to return home on their own. 

They would then be informed that they would no longer be welcomed back on that cruise line.  My understanding is that person's name and situation is circulated among other lines as well.  There is a code of conduct stipulation in the cruise line's boarding contracts which outlines behavior that can result in denied boarding or removal from the ship.

Other than likely denying use of the original credit card, a cruise line would not blacklist someone over a financial dispute. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind