Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

12 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

We used GPS when we did a two week driving trip around Ireland.  We were headed somewhere and GPS turned us down little dirt “roads” that were wide enough for one car, barely, with bushes brushing both sides of the car.  Not just one, but multiple roads.  We were a little concerned at first and then started laughing, wondering where on earth we would end up and I’ll be darned if we didn’t end up exactly where we were supposed to be.  

But, we have also ended up in the States on gravel roads that end at a wall.  Go figure.

Joanie

Gotta love the small roads, especially with stone walls on both sides. We returned our rental car to an Irish company at Shannon before our flight home. The attendant congratulated us after walking around the car. I asked why, and he walked me to a big drum full of broken side view mirrors . I guess we did good 😊 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Well just booked another "Cruise" for tomorrow.    Well actually 2 -- One to Isle of Wight and a return in the afternoon.    I wonder if we can get "room service".   

image.thumb.png.37848c1c7c28f379fb82509c5fc426de.png

We enjoyed our visit to the Isle of Wight - the beaches, village pubs & Osborne House and Gardens...

Congratulations to both you & Iain on testing negative!!!

That has to be a relief...

Enjoy the rest of your trip - we are certainly enjoying your trip from Talkeetna 🙂

Your pictures, as always, are Amazing!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

LOL -- we were laughing because we once had another GPS glitch.   We were on the Canary Islands and were driving to a Cavern.   It had us turn down a gravel road that turned to dirt that turned to ruts an then a steep cliffs only a jeep might be about to negotiate.    It sent us the the back entrance instead of the public entrance.

The free public access path to Stonehenge is only about 25 feet from the condoned off path and has just as good of views.  

A campground near us tells of someone using a Tom Tom that was sent off a service road to the turnpike!  It was open and no toll!  They started to go back that way not realizing even then that it was a quirk.  It is, however, the shortest route. 

• Like 1

Jim. When you get off then ferry in Yarmouth go to a cafe called Gossips. You cannot miss it. It is sited at the start of the pier. Lovely crab rolls.

if you have time visit Queen Victoria’s home Osborne House. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Good news..  This morning I tested NEGATIVE.     This disease is really weird.   I awoke to this morning after a sold sleep and my cough was gone and I felt great.    Sitting around watching the News (KPIX San Francisco via YoutTubeTv and a VPN) and sipping coffee I decided to do one of the test as I have a supply arriving via mail today. 

I almost want to run up and swab Iain's nose while he still sleeps.  

Great news!  Hope Iain tests negative as well.  

Tested negative this morning, so on to the next leg.  Crew was all tested yesterday and they say they were all negative.  We've not heard a word from the captain about covid, so perhaps there is none on the ship.

Hope you get to Winchester Cathedral.  I loved visiting with the locals who were working in the cathedral.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 10

It sounds like you and Iain are having a nice unexpected adventure. Well, except for the COVID which thankfully was mild! Sometimes the universe works in mysterious ways, but I think attitude also has a lot to do with it, too. Both of you have a great “go with the flow” attitude and seem to appreciate the little things life throws your way. It looks like you’re staying in a beautiful area. And you got to see Stonehenge!

I hope you both get to enjoy the rest of your time there. And I’m more of a clotted cream with jam on top girl, but I can certainly support  a previous poster’s suggestion of cream, then jam, then some more cream!

• Like 1

Love all your pictures. Next time we see Stonehenge will be on the way to Silhouette in Southampton in July. 
Enjoy the Isle of Wight, it’s not huge but there’s plenty to see. As well as Queen Victorias house there is a Roman villa with beautifully preserved mosaic. If you are brave enough to venture down the cliff cable car the coloured sands at Allum bay are interesting and gives a good view of the Needles. The nearby Wight Mouse inn is a traditional English pub with pub bar meals. 
Best of all keep your eyes peeled for the white tailed eagles that have recently been introduced. Not quite the bald eagle of the USA but impressive nonetheless. 
Have a great day. Glad you can make the most of your unexpected stay in Southern England. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, upwarduk said:

We will be in Civitavecchia at the beginning of August on our Mediterranean cruise. We have already decided not to go into Rome this time, as we have been x3, so hope to explore more locally.

Agree......

Spending a few days there  pre or post cruise,..is a treat.

A great seaside walk, interesting restaurants on the main drag and even more on the  side streets.   Dh loved the coffee..very stong.  Things may not always run on time and  most shut down in the afternoon  til dinner. But so msny interesting things to see and do!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, clanger said:

Jim. When you get off then ferry in Yarmouth go to a cafe called Gossips. You cannot miss it. It is sited at the start of the pier. Lovely crab rolls.

if you have time visit Queen Victoria’s home Osborne House. 

Osborne House has already been entered into my maps Favorites.   It was on Iain's places he wanted to see.    -  Gossips may be just the ticket.   We are taking the 11:00 Ferry Over and the 4 0r 5 PM back.  We should be docking just about lunch time. 

• Like 1

Appetite hasn’t suffered so tonight we booked Gordleton Mill Restaurant.  It was highly recommended by our host. 

Beautiful old  mill that was converted into a Pub with rooms and a nice restaurant.  It’s about 7 miles out of town.  

E4B58045-8E07-4389-86C6-F73D794C283C.thumb.jpeg.f6c12bcf8f0d8770d7e33e4ee2377419.jpeg

D356F9C4-4DF7-4B49-9116-A57431FEF044.thumb.jpeg.485e0327d1f67254b5f70ce74081203e.jpeg

15FA2C34-B1B0-4467-AEB4-DFFA32B718EE.thumb.jpeg.040af8aa4966e7b95c6b9ceb1ef11410.jpeg

8D87C538-5FC7-445F-955D-7251AF1BDDAE.thumb.jpeg.5b1ae679a4f09ecdc228b7f08d092e76.jpeg

022A2766-82A1-4B3C-B82D-D2B2059DC619.thumb.jpeg.ed5b9ba70699fb131930df3332e3ce09.jpeg

276EDBAD-8D3F-4D03-AB61-31A5577DD00B.thumb.jpeg.5e4074b2747bc94fb9f683ebbfe36bfa.jpeg

Iain had two starters.  He eats the most disgusting things imho - White Bait and a Chicken and Potted Pork Terrain.  I had the Prochetta. 

62451366-78D5-4642-8CCD-55C69952C670.thumb.jpeg.e754ebfef549b5ddf304cee2836bc4b1.jpeg

A8BE529A-D2E3-4703-9C8D-6EE99E282F99.thumb.jpeg.81a9146c4c699cede98c8f824ffc439c.jpeg

C1685B4B-57E0-48BC-8D9C-4CC60865370D.thumb.jpeg.78be06e36641bbdd96d1de5f2608c396.jpeg

For desert, I had the Chocolate Salted Toffee Torte and Iain had the Passion Fruit Creme Brûlée 

E2629EAF-6B4B-44E8-98BE-BD984F22D45B.thumb.jpeg.1ff7bfad43bda994399a85f02294e5de.jpeg

CCB9AB87-E4A0-49C0-9915-8181E50157F4.thumb.jpeg.3ef808e215afd65394fb64ed8db4c6cf.jpeg

A939C716-23B2-49C0-90FB-0A038A648642.thumb.jpeg.06d95c71ef12584ea308d0ca028435af.jpeg

C70580F3-739C-4AE8-B522-3D8592B372CF.thumb.jpeg.aae80982cc9e5deb4746ac98e58f1485.jpeg

7E33E5CC-0FA5-493C-9DE0-1E19F0C9B71B.thumb.jpeg.21a538ee2427e92d2e4fa4f910a8f100.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 14

4 hours ago, TowandaUK said:

There’s a lot of debate between Cornwall and Devon as to whether it should be cream then jam or jam then cream. I like a smear of cream then a blob of jam and a blob of cream. 😋

My father-in-law was born in Cornwall, just over the border from Devon. The family emigrated when he was quite young, but his mother made sure he had a proper upbringing: jam first, then a dollop of cream...

Stan

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I guess that we all complain about our medical systems regardless of country.   I have to say I enjoy Kaiser (our HMO provider).    If I want to see my doctor either in person or via phone or video I can usually get an appointment in a day or two.     If he isn't available you can usually see a random doctor in 1 hour or so via video triage.

Now don't get me started on what we American's are charged for medicines 10X the price of what can be purchased across the boarder in Canada.  Of course in our "equal" medical system that only applies to the uninsured or the under insured.

We have kaiser also here in the DMV & love it.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 12:43 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Well just received my resultsimage.png.ba69906df05ff0c9368ecf8a346f2623.png

Yikes -  It has been an 1 1/2 hour since the test and no telephone call or contact at this point.   Iain was just looking out the peep hole and I asked are their prison guards out there.

More as this unravels - 

By the way I feel perfectly normal, temperature 97.8 (my normal) Oxygen Saturation 99 

On 4/29/2022 at 6:38 AM, Jim_Iain said:

That's the rule -   even if prior to the end of the cruise,  you are isolated for the remainder  of the cruise. 

Ironically I'm catching up on this while in COVID quarantine at an all inclusive in Mexico. We got a bit sicker than you but are getting over it fast. Not willing to risk retesting, we are just going for certificates of recovery and escaping.

Glad you guys are back to having adventures.

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

My time to make afternoon tea, only to be disparaged that I didn’t do it properly.  Good help is hard to find. 

I guess I was supposed to put a dollop of Jam and Clotted Cream on each half.  Oh well it tasted just as good. 

Strawberry jam and clotted cream on each half with extra on the side!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

We have kaiser also here in the DMV & love it.

I do also.    In addition to the normal large facility they have a local clinic just across the street from my daily Starbucks stop.    If I need to pickup a prescription as oppose to it being sent by mail or some blood work I just drop in and am out in 10 minutes .

9 hours ago, bunzini said:

All this clotted cream talk, I had to look it up to see what it was!

Glad that you and Iian as well as Happy Cruiser are all negative!

Just think of 80% butter fat -  Once you taste it you are addicted for life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, mkcurran said:

Ironically I'm catching up on this while in COVID quarantine at an all inclusive in Mexico. We got a bit sicker than you but are getting over it fast. Not willing to risk retesting, we are just going for certificates of recovery and escaping.

Glad you guys are back to having adventures.

About a week ago we did the official test for Iain which we knew he would fail to get the Failure Certification needed for the Certificate.   I got mine direct from Celebrity plus a certificate showing i had quarantined for 2 day on the ship.

I think we will also get the Certificate just in case as we aren't flying home for another 2 weeks or so.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Going to be a great day for Isle of Wight.    Sun is shining and shirt sleeve temperature.   We need to leave for the Ferry in 15 minutes.  

Make the most of it, it’s rained almost all day here in Yorkshire.