Truth about dress code enforcement please, - not policy.

budmeister

Just now, PTC DAWG said:

My therapist goes by Hendricks most of the time.  🙂

They keep telling me not to mix scotch with my bipolar medication.  But they don’t know the pressure I’m under, all those untucked shirts.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

My therapist goes by Hendricks most of the time.  🙂

While I prefer mine to be PVW, Uncle Nearest is a good stand in... then Mr. Blanton! LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

37 minutes ago, MBP1 said:

I feel the same way, we are in our early 30s and are about to take our first Celebrity cruise. We generally do not like to dress up, especially on vacation. I'll bring a few polos or buttons up for dinner and a pair of shoes, but other than that I do not plan on dressing to impress. Its evident from this thread that there are definitely some old timers who are deeply disturbed by people who don't tuck their shirts in or dress to their standards. 

Polos and button downs are appropriate--you'll find very few people here that disagree with that.  IMO, if someone doesn't want to dress in that manner in the evening, there's always the buffet or room service.  Leave the MDR to those that don't mind abiding by a dress code.

Edited by hiccups
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, MBP1 said:

I feel the same way, we are in our early 30s and are about to take our first Celebrity cruise. We generally do not like to dress up, especially on vacation. I'll bring a few polos or buttons up for dinner and a pair of shoes, but other than that I do not plan on dressing to impress. Its evident from this thread that there are definitely some old timers who are deeply disturbed by people who don't tuck their shirts in or dress to their standards. 

Well said, many people in my age bracket (60's) think we should enforce our way of thinking re dress code, IMO, just get over it already, your steak is gonna taste the same, no matter how anyone in the dining room is dressed. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

And yes, I agree that it is so much more ‘fun’ to be posting about what to wear or more appropriately what can I get away with!  And isn’t it very telling that almost All the threads and posts on this subject are about us men! One reason is I think women have much more flexibility in their dress, and of course are more mature. My wife takes Chico’s travel ‘stuff’, adds a beaded top and jewelry and All is OK. Men? Use to be all we had options for was Tux or Coat and Tie. Now we have more choices, but continue to press on how ‘downward’ we can go. Yup, opinionated. 

Back when Coat and Tie were ‘the rule’, one guy posted that since he had to wear a coat/tie to work, he’d refused even though his wife asked him to. I couldn’t control myself and responded: So you’ll wear a coat/tie when paid but wont when your wife asks you? Got it.  

And yes, it isn’t just cruising. I live in a tourist beach area so we get lots of various ‘state of dress’ in our top line restaurants. Part of life. But my favorite was a young woman who was dressed To the Nines with a beautiflul long dress and a very neat Slit, and her date? He had on a bike-racing tight shorts, a tight top with a big racing stipe on it and his bike cap. A true statement of what he thought of his date. And no, they climbed into a car leaving so no riding a bike there……yup, I watched. She had time to dress up, but him? 

to me, it’s very telling when the woman is dressed up and the guy looks like he just finished playing around in his garage. We men Are able to step inside, change the t-shirt into a regular shirt and actually wear a decent pair of pants. And we men Do know what is appropriate.  

And yes, that is all judgmental. But I’ve heard more than a few golf-shirt guys make snide comments about men dressed to the T’s. 

I miss wearing my Tux. I loved sauntering up to a bar, pulling my bow tie undone (yup, tied it myself!) and ordering a Martini…..stirred not shaken. My wife would roll her eyes and just say: You Aren’t Bond, James Bond. I still wear a bow tie just for that. 

Enough. Fun Thread. 

Den

Well said. I also defer to how my dear wife is attired, it is a sign of respect for your "date" as well as your hosts. Besides, most of the time she has obtained all the information, and not just heard, dinner 7:30 Saturday.

1 hour ago, MBP1 said:

I don't know what your definition of "old timer" is. I'm not much older than you, and I have respect for the cruise line's standards, which, as has been pointed out, are minimal at this point. 

Thanks for bringing shoes, BTW. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MBP1 said:

No. First of all lumping everyone who thinks its nice to dress a bit better than going to McDonald's as "old-timers" is offensive. Also, there is a world of difference between wearing clothes  appropriate for a picnic in the park and tuxes & ballgowns.  As adults, each of you are fully aware of the difference between new jeans that fit properly with a collared polo shirt and loose jeans that have been used for gardening and have rips and a t-shirt that says "I'm with stupid".  The reality is that in the dining rooms and the specialties for dinner, dressing neatly and cleanly is almost always ok.  I personally appreciate a little bit better dress as it does lend to the atmosphere that dinner is special and to be enjoyed and not rushed through. The same reason there are linen tablecloths and napkins,  a separate fork for each course, and appropriate glassware.  If you prefer shorts, tshirts, and rubber flip flops... then go to the buffet. 

What you do does not "deeply disturb" anyone here. If you dress atypically, will you be looked at? yes, probably.  That's like someone who dyes their hair blue. Do people look...yes, isn't that really the point?

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Mr Blanton has been scarce in my parts…

LOL, same for me... My local outlet has my number on speed dial when they get in even one (1) bottle and I agreed to keep my credit card on file so all I have to do is pick him up ASAP... LOL

I Am sure that I Am not the only one with that arrangement and fully understand that my place on the rotation list is near the bottom!!!

Such a good relationship with both of them.

Cheers and bon voyage

1 hour ago, MBP1 said:

What you list is perfect. And I don’t dress to impress, Im afraid anyone who would be ‘impressed’ with what I wear Don’t exist, except when my wife complements what I’m wearing……and I remind her she’s the one who ‘helped’ me pick it out!

den

Maybe some people should consider jumping ship. This is what Virgin Voyages state:

"We encourage you to wear more than a bathing suit if you go to a restaurant and kindly consider shoes, but your style is your style. Who are we to judge?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MBP1 said:

When I choose to go with my wife to a restaurant with a dress code, I think it's respectful to others to follow the dress code. 

It's not that hard on a cruise to follow dress codes since we have months to plan ahead and pack accordingly. 

If I decide I don't want to wear what is asked of me in a ship restaurant, I'll go to a restaurant where I can wear what I want.  I don't need to challenge the rules because I disagree with them.  

Cruise dress codes have evolved over time since i started cruising in the mid 80's.  Most ships have relaxed their rules significantly in my old-timer life and that's made it even easier for me and others.   I no longer pack tuxedos or black suits,  sport jackets, black shoes and black socks, and I will only wear a long sleeve button down shirt to the fanciest restaurants on board so I only have to pack one or 2 (and even those may be unnecessary.) 

I know my wife likes to look pretty for dinner and after dinner on ships.  She'll wear makeup, put on jewelry, fix her hair and will wear something hot. Shoes are important to her too.  I don't want to dress like a slob if she's going to dress up.  

Edited by mfs2k
  • Like 6

35 minutes ago, laslomas said:

Maybe some people should consider jumping ship. This is what Virgin Voyages state:

"We encourage you to wear more than a bathing suit if you go to a restaurant and kindly consider shoes, but your style is your style. Who are we to judge?

I watched a 30 min video tour of a Virgin ship yesterday on YT.  Have you seen the chairs in every restaurant?  They're cheap aluminum or plastic unpadded chairs and look ridiculously uncomfortable.

Maybe young kids like these chairs, but I, an "old timer", would rather be comfortable on a celebrity chair.   

And if I want to dine at food carts which they have in lieu of a full buffet,  I don't need to go on a cruise.  There are enough food carts for me to choose from in Midtown Manhattan for my meals.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peyeet said:

Is this just something that was more "taught" before my generation came around?

Yes-- And, " old timers " like m ---( ever mind ) never spent $250 at a steakhouse-- even if they had a PHD ( Papa Has Dough ).

FYI--- This topic has been discussed for " years " --- Same types of people with different faces.

Let's make it simple--- Just follow the guidelines that the Cruise Company or any other establishment you go to requests---- there's no one " upmanship " , oops, " up-personship " ( I love that politically correct stuff ), just common courtesy .

You can do it !!

Edited by Pinboy
spelling mistake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, laslomas said:

At some point before this,  you would think basic hygiene and safety issues would play into it.

4 hours ago, peyeet said:

Genuinely wondering since I'm part of a younger demographic than almost anyone else on this board, I'd imagine (I'm 22). Why does it matter what other people are wearing? I never notice those around me or am bothered by what they're wearing if they walk past and I do notice, and I feel like I am at a restaurant to dine and enjoy the culinary experience, not to people watch. I've asked some other people my age this as well and never got a real good answer in my opinion. This most recently came up when we went to a $250 a person steakhouse and I realized right as we were about to leave "oh I should probably dress nicer", but at the end of the day, who would it benefit (or detract from) except for me and the people I am going to dinner with? Is this just something that was more "taught" before my generation came around?

When you say "Oh I should dress nicer."  What do you mean by that?  Were you wearing sweat pants and a ripped tshirt to a nice restaurant?

Every generation comes up with a different style that drives their parents up the wall.  Baggy pants, showing your underwear, ripping holes in your clothes, that's totally normal.  Even suits and ties are just another form of fashion.  Wearing tights in public.  Hoop skirts.  Look at Elizabethan collars.  Who came up with that idea?

https://www.ranker.com/list/history-of-elizabethan-collar/melissa-sartore

My point is.  All of this is perfectly normal.  Except for people who can't tuck in their shirt.  That's just not acceptable. 

21 hours ago, Mark_K said:

Or you could view it as, I know the letter of the law, but what is common practice?

Well, littering is illegal but when you go to a park or a rest area or some other public place and see trash accumulating all over do you join in on that "common practice"?

22 hours ago, kwokpot said:

The photo was an example of what I meant about jeans and a light pullover sweater (Both courtesy of Zara). 

I think the issue is also the one of context. Wearing a graphic T that says I'm with Stupid paired with faded and raggy jeans is not going to cut it. But a nice dark wash pair of jeans, T shirt and Overshirt/sweater and that's a nice outfit. And no one can call that dressing up. Some guys get so hung up about wearing decent clothes it borders on infantile behavior. And I'm not even talking about dress clothes. And while we're at it, I understand there's all kinds of people that live in all different locations both rural and urban. But when a grown man says they don't own even one pair of long pants but yet will spend money to go on a cruise  but won't buy a pair of pants to wear there's something wrong with that. 

cn28280643.jpg

I feel like we're having two different conversations. The discussion that you commented on which I then replied to was about the wearing of a t-shirt as your primary shirt, not underneath a sweater or another shirt both of which would be no issue at all. Celebrity is certainly not questioning people's undershirts...

5 hours ago, peyeet said:

Genuinely wondering since I'm part of a younger demographic than almost anyone else on this board, I'd imagine (I'm 22). Why does it matter what other people are wearing? I never notice those around me or am bothered by what they're wearing if they walk past and I do notice, and I feel like I am at a restaurant to dine and enjoy the culinary experience, not to people watch. I've asked some other people my age this as well and never got a real good answer in my opinion. This most recently came up when we went to a $250 a person steakhouse and I realized right as we were about to leave "oh I should probably dress nicer", but at the end of the day, who would it benefit (or detract from) except for me and the people I am going to dinner with? Is this just something that was more "taught" before my generation came around?

Clearly it matters to people at Celebrity as they have implemented a dress code... Again, for those who find dress requirements a burden, whether it's having a dress requirement period or certain parts of the requirement, you can express your dissatisfaction with your wallet and choose not to book with the company that has those rules.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, zitsky said:

When you say "Oh I should dress nicer."  What do you mean by that?  Were you wearing sweat pants and a ripped tshirt to a nice restaurant?

Every generation comes up with a different style that drives their parents up the wall.  Baggy pants, showing your underwear, ripping holes in your clothes, that's totally normal.  Even suits and ties are just another form of fashion.  Wearing tights in public.  Hoop skirts.  Look at Elizabethan collars.  Who came up with that idea?

https://www.ranker.com/list/history-of-elizabethan-collar/melissa-sartore

My point is.  All of this is perfectly normal.  Except for people who can't tuck in their shirt.  That's just not acceptable. 

So has Celebrity's dress code been updated to exclude untucked polo and button down shirts?

6 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

I feel like we're having two different conversations. The discussion that you commented on which I then replied to was about the wearing of a t-shirt as your primary shirt, not underneath a sweater or another shirt both of which would be no issue at all. Celebrity is certainly not questioning people's undershirts...

Gotcha.

So here's a photo of a a nice long sleeve striped T-Shirt and pants. I wouldn't see a problem with this guy getting into any Celebrity MDR or specialty restaurant. 

cn28751788.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Denny01 said:

And yes, I agree that it is so much more ‘fun’ to be posting about what to wear or more appropriately what can I get away with!  And isn’t it very telling that almost All the threads and posts on this subject are about us men! One reason is I think women have much more flexibility in their dress, and of course are more mature. My wife takes Chico’s travel ‘stuff’, adds a beaded top and jewelry and All is OK. Men? Use to be all we had options for was Tux or Coat and Tie. Now we have more choices, but continue to press on how ‘downward’ we can go. Yup, opinionated. 

Back when Coat and Tie were ‘the rule’, one guy posted that since he had to wear a coat/tie to work, he’d refused even though his wife asked him to. I couldn’t control myself and responded: So you’ll wear a coat/tie when paid but wont when your wife asks you? Got it.  

And yes, it isn’t just cruising. I live in a tourist beach area so we get lots of various ‘state of dress’ in our top line restaurants. Part of life. But my favorite was a young woman who was dressed To the Nines with a beautiflul long dress and a very neat Slit, and her date? He had on a bike-racing tight shorts, a tight top with a big racing stipe on it and his bike cap. A true statement of what he thought of his date. And no, they climbed into a car leaving so no riding a bike there……yup, I watched. She had time to dress up, but him? 

to me, it’s very telling when the woman is dressed up and the guy looks like he just finished playing around in his garage. We men Are able to step inside, change the t-shirt into a regular shirt and actually wear a decent pair of pants. And we men Do know what is appropriate.  

And yes, that is all judgmental. But I’ve heard more than a few golf-shirt guys make snide comments about men dressed to the T’s. 

I miss wearing my Tux. I loved sauntering up to a bar, pulling my bow tie undone (yup, tied it myself!) and ordering a Martini…..stirred not shaken. My wife would roll her eyes and just say: You Aren’t Bond, James Bond. I still wear a bow tie just for that. 

Enough. Fun Thread. 

Den

Excellent post

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, zitsky said:

My go-to outfit generally is a pair of chinos and a black t-shirt, which I've found to generally be versatile enough depending on where I am dining -- if its nicer, ill throw on a polo shirt instead. So by no means am I dressing like a slob, but I feel like if I'm well put together and dressing like a normal, well adjusted person the existence of a collar on my black polo vs the lack of one on my black t shirt shouldn't make a huge difference. I'm also in the military, so that's probably another reason why dress codes aren't too out there for me -- we wear everything from camos to dress blues multiple times a week, and when you're wearing a tie to work twice a week but then an entirely different uniform the other 3 days, you definitely become desensitized to the importance of wearing that tie when it comes to real life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kwokpot said:

Gotcha.

So here's a photo of a a nice long sleeve striped T-Shirt and pants. I wouldn't see a problem with this guy getting into any Celebrity MDR or specialty restaurant. 

cn28751788.jpg

It seems intentional to show the belt buckle.  Not sure why.

• Like 1