Truth about dress code enforcement please, - not policy.

budmeister

5 minutes ago, CatDi said:

Well I can see what you are saying here, however, I am 51 and could not agree with peyeet more.  I'm a mother of 5 humans and I would absolutely teach them just that. Just be who you are, and don't care what others think of you.   That's all a matter of opinion of course just as everything is but I agree with this 22 yr old.  : ) 

I’m all for let’s be nice to each other and hold hands.  But does being “who you are” mean that you do whatever you want, regardless of the impact to other people?  Maybe “who I am” is someone who takes a shower once a week and doesn’t wear shoes.  Why won’t they let me in the restaurant?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I’m all for let’s be nice to each other and hold hands.  But does being “who you are” mean that you do whatever you want, regardless of the impact to other people?  Maybe “who I am” is someone who takes a shower once a week and doesn’t wear shoes.  Why won’t they let me in the restaurant?

Yes we should all play nice.  To be fair she did not mention hygiene, it was all about clothing and not noticing what others wear.  

On a side note, do you realize how many elderly people (and they cruise too) are unable to shower once a week? Sometimes longer.  And if they happen to smell bad I could care less.  Hugs

3 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

tshirt.JPG

The photo is from Banana Republic's website in which they themselves call the shirt a T-Shirt. In any event the photo still represents the basic points I was trying to make in this thread; that is it's VERY easy to wear something that's EXTREMELY casual and comfortable, isn't dressing up,  and still look presentable enough to enter a Celebrity restaurant for dinner. It also exemplifies what I mean when people ask questions here on Cruise Critic about what is appropriate to wear. It all comes down to context. When someone asks is it OK to wear a T shirt and Jeans that can mean all sorts of things without some context of what the person asking is considering to wear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Black Polo Shirt With Khaki Pants Hot Sale, UP TO 62% OFF |  www.encuentroguionistas.comKhakis And Black Polo Online Shop, UP TO 67% OFF | www.loop-cn.comIs it okay to wear a black shirt with khaki pants? - Quora

Appreciate all the responses, so far I've definitely gotten to understand more of where everyone is coming from. Above are examples of what I mean between what I tend to wear, and how to me it seems like a trivial difference. I am seeing several examples of "incorrect" behavior being quite extreme however, as I would understand the issues with someone not showering and being smellable, as well as someone with a ripped shirt or sweats showing up. However, when it comes to the vast majority of people you all would generally prefer to associate with, they have their heads on straight and would get 90% of the "way there". 

I guess my question is this. If someone comes into the MDR in the different outfits, how do you feel about each outfit? What about a specialty restaurant? What about Luminae? I know these are a few situations and the answer may be the same for all three, but I'm planning on going on an Edge class in an SS soon and will have to rethink my wardrobe choices if those of you with more experience do feel there is a significant difference, as for a 12 day cruise I would have to either get laundry done (not the end of the world) or pack mostly one or another type of shirt. Also not the end of the world, but this 22 year old does not own that many collared shirts yet!

I don't mean to come across as argumentative or goading in any way; it's not a conversation I've really ever had with people who have an opinion and experience on the matter. Any input or further discussion would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, peyeet said:

Black Polo Shirt With Khaki Pants Hot Sale, UP TO 62% OFF |  www.encuentroguionistas.comKhakis And Black Polo Online Shop, UP TO 67% OFF | www.loop-cn.comIs it okay to wear a black shirt with khaki pants? - Quora

Appreciate all the responses, so far I've definitely gotten to understand more of where everyone is coming from. Above are examples of what I mean between what I tend to wear, and how to me it seems like a trivial difference. I am seeing several examples of "incorrect" behavior being quite extreme however, as I would understand the issues with someone not showering and being smellable, as well as someone with a ripped shirt or sweats showing up. However, when it comes to the vast majority of people you all would generally prefer to associate with, they have their heads on straight and would get 90% of the "way there". 

I guess my question is this. If someone comes into the MDR in the different outfits, how do you feel about each outfit? What about a specialty restaurant? What about Luminae? I know these are a few situations and the answer may be the same for all three, but I'm planning on going on an Edge class in an SS soon and will have to rethink my wardrobe choices if those of you with more experience do feel there is a significant difference, as for a 12 day cruise I would have to either get laundry done (not the end of the world) or pack mostly one or another type of shirt. Also not the end of the world, but this 22 year old does not own that many collared shirts yet!

I don't mean to come across as argumentative or goading in any way; it's not a conversation I've really ever had with people who have an opinion and experience on the matter. Any input or further discussion would be greatly appreciated!

Most definitely you can wear those kinds of clothes in Luminae.

8 hours ago, zitsky said:

When you say "Oh I should dress nicer."  What do you mean by that?  Were you wearing sweat pants and a ripped tshirt to a nice restaurant?

Every generation comes up with a different style that drives their parents up the wall.  Baggy pants, showing your underwear, ripping holes in your clothes, that's totally normal.  Even suits and ties are just another form of fashion.  Wearing tights in public.  Hoop skirts.  Look at Elizabethan collars.  Who came up with that idea?

https://www.ranker.com/list/history-of-elizabethan-collar/melissa-sartore

My point is.  All of this is perfectly normal.  Except for people who can't tuck in their shirt.  That's just not acceptable. 

The one that gets me every time is when people (almost always men) wear their belt and pants below their buttocks on the back side exposing most of their underwear and their buttcheeks. This cannot be sanitary and it definitely disgusts me every time that I see it.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Gotcha.

So here's a photo of a a nice long sleeve striped T-Shirt and pants. I wouldn't see a problem with this guy getting into any Celebrity MDR or specialty restaurant. 

cn28751788.jpg

I think that he looks much better than he would wearing a golf shirt. However, since shirts with collars are the requested dress code, I would still not wear that shirt.

2 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

The one that gets me every time is when people (almost always men) wear their belt and pants below their buttocks on the back side exposing most of their underwear and their buttcheeks. This cannot be sanitary and it definitely disgusts me every time that I see it.

Like this….The Builders Bum.

6DD2F108-8B7D-466F-90AA-0F15D0DE8ED7.thumb.jpeg.8f72cc443702b196690d3243dabe9b54.jpeg

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I think that he looks much better than he would wearing a golf shirt. However, since shirts with collars are the requested dress code, I would still not wear that shirt.

Smart casual code doesn't mention collars: "Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt."

3 hours ago, peyeet said:

I s this your first cruise ? You know  on a 12 cruise there are a few "chic" nights where people dress up nicer than the usual resort casual.  if you search "chic" you will see dozens of threads arguing about what chic means? (they used to be called formal and people used to dress in tuxes/dinner jackets and gowns). Those days are gone. However, on those evenings you will see a lot of jackets/suits and long sleeve button down shirts.  The time of year and itinerary matters how people pack too.

BTW....the picture above is a brand new black T and trim chinos.  The look changes a lot if the tshirt is faded or stretched out, and the chinos are baggy and too long or worn with dirty sneakers. So, you have to your use your own judgment.  If you are staying in a suite, you might want to spring for a few new shirts before going. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Smart casual code doesn't mention collars: "Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt."

By definition, a sports shirt has a collar. They include polo shirts and other casual shirts https://effortlessgent.com/dress-shirt-vs-sport-shirt/ 

The dress code does say no t-shirts as well

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Simple solution to this dress code thing for Celebrity passengers. 

Before your cruise Google "People of Walmart".

Don't wear any of that stuff.

Save that stuff for Carnival. 😉

Easy Peasy Nice and Easy!

• Haha 5

44 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Simple solution to this dress code thing for Celebrity passengers. 

Before your cruise Google "People of Walmart".

Don't wear any of that stuff.

Save that stuff for Carnival. 😉

Easy Peasy Nice and Easy!

Well, that’s disrespectful for my fellow outstanding Walmart shoppers. Please don’t be too judgmental. We are currently on Equinox and anything goes. But maybe cause some of the luggage never arrived to the ship like the lady from Toronto who boarded with a Ross bag full of clothes that she just bought cause her luggage was still in Toronto. There is this couple that wear swim wear every night into MDR even on Chic nite. 

As far as clothing optional cruisers, I just don’t want to be the follow on cruise 😳

• Haha 1

All kidding aside.  A tshirt is not a collared shirt.  I suppose if you wear a nice pair of slacks and dress shoes it might be ok.  But would it be that difficult to take one collared shirt with you in case you need it?

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Well, that’s disrespectful for my fellow outstanding Walmart shoppers. Please don’t be too judgmental. We are currently on Equinox and anything goes. But maybe cause some of the luggage never arrived to the ship like the lady from Toronto who boarded with a Ross bag full of clothes that she just bought cause her luggage was still in Toronto. There is this couple that wear swim wear every night into MDR even on Chic nite. 

As far as clothing optional cruisers, I just don’t want to be the follow on cruise 😳

About 10 years ago our travel companion was "kicked out" of Oceanview as she had a wrap over her swimwear and was told she needed to cover up-- the ship was Millennium 

Edited by emmas gran

5 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

About 10 years ago our travel companion was "kicked out" of Oceanview as she had a wrap over her swimwear and was told she needed to cover up-- the ship was Millennium 

But that was 10 years ago……

11 hours ago, CatDi said:

Well I can see what you are saying here, however, I am 51 and could not agree with peyeet more.  I'm a mother of 5 humans and I would absolutely teach them just that. Just be who you are, and don't care what others think of you.   That's all a matter of opinion of course just as everything is but I agree with this 22 yr old.  : ) 

60-year-old here agreeing with the 22-year-old