Passport renewal application question

Hi all, quick question here. We're trying to complete my husband's passport renewal application, and I just noticed that it says "the full name and date of birth of the applicant must be typed or printed on the front of the check." We haven't had info such as DOB or DL #'s or anything like that printed on checks in many years... Heck, it's a wonder I could even find a book of checks to write one, lol. Does the DOB really need to be on there?? Should I hand-write it? I don't want his application kicked back for some dumb reason like this. 

Has anyone submitted an application recently who can give any insight on this? Thanks!

8 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Do banks even put that info on cheques in the USA??

I would hand write it on

Do they not accept CC payment??

Our government is a wee bit behind on technology, to say the least... 😅  But I'm afraid if I hand write it in, they'll kick it right back - because that's just the bureaucratic way they do things. 🙄

Edited by crazy4themouse
  • Haha 1

I would just handwrite it in.  Just be real careful to make it legible.  That's really all their looking for, the ability to read the info.  I worked in an office processing other people's paperwork for years and you would be surprised (or maybe not) at what people expect you to be able to read.

Edited by Blondilu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I renewed my Passport back in January and I hand wrote it across the top of the check.  The only thing I got back was a BRAND NEW PASSPORT😃if you are afraid they can't read your writing? Can't help you there.....I printed my name and d/o/b and everything was processed promptly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crazy4themouse said:

Hi all, quick question here. We're trying to complete my husband's passport renewal application, and I just noticed that it says "the full name and date of birth of the applicant must be typed or printed on the front of the check." We haven't had info such as DOB or DL #'s or anything like that printed on checks in many years... Heck, it's a wonder I could even find a book of checks to write one, lol. Does the DOB really need to be on there?? Should I hand-write it? I don't want his application kicked back for some dumb reason like this. 

Has anyone submitted an application recently who can give any insight on this? Thanks!

LOL: “printed” means “not in script writing”. No one in their right mind would have their birthdate preprinted on a personal check.

9 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Hand write it down on the "memo" line of your check. 

I actually have the page open in my browser as I need to renew mine, that's not where the page indicates they want the info. 

I'm assuming that since my name is already on my check (though my middle name is NOT there, just the initial) that I just need to include my D-O-B?  I actually have the form complete, just need to do a photo and write the check.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

I actually have the page open in my browser as I need to renew mine, that's not where the page indicates they want the info. 

I'm assuming that since my name is already on my check (though my middle name is NOT there, just the initial) that I just need to include my D-O-B?  I actually have the form complete, just need to do a photo and write the check.

It’s a check - not the application itself

17 hours ago, craftygrandma said:

Received renewed passport last week.  Did not write any info on check, in fact there was an error on spelling of husband's last name.  It only took about 3 weeks.

Ditto for me back in December-January when I applied & received my passport (well, except for the error part 🙃).

9 hours ago, hallux said:

Good morning, you are under the wrong assumption. You need to write your full name on the top of the check and your d/o/b. See the previous post.    Most everyone has their name on their checks. The State Dept wants this done in a specific way.  I would follow the instructions in order to receive your new passport.

8 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It’s a check - not the application itself

They ask for it in case the check gets separated from the application before processing starts. Makes it easier to match the two up. Not sure how often it even happens (my guess is not often). From the responses applications are still processed without the info.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

They ask for it in case the check gets separated from the application before processing starts. Makes it easier to match the two up. 

Correct. Just like your registration in a hospital asks for name and DOB. Just an extra step to make sure you are you.

Obviously, where the truly correct/complete  name and other requested info needs to happen is on the actual application.

• Like 1