Tried of getting kicked off after 7 days so,

MrCruzdoggie

We stopped taking 'short' (7 night) cruises after our first two.  Just about the time we really started to get settled in and it felt like vacation, we were already talking about having to pack again.  Not to mention all of the prep time and the travel to/from the port.  Now we think a 13 night TA is a night too short!

• Like 5

We’ve only done 7Ns when cruising w our kids who can’t go longer. We’ve done the B2Bs and certainly longer ones in Europe. We also add days before and after as part of the trip. 

heck, when friends tell us they want to ‘try out cruising’ by going on a 3-4N, I tell them they aren’t getting the ‘point’ of cruising vacations doing a short one. Now I feel the same about ‘7’s’!  

We are so lucky to have such flexibility. 

den

• Like 4

When leaving Alaska - we don't like to leave for less than 2 weeks & 3 or more is best...

When cruising - we love having multiple days on either end of the cruise to enjoy the port cities...

Especially if it's a repositioning cruise 🙂

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Von & John said:

When leaving Alaska - we don't like to leave for less than 2 weeks & 3 or more is best...

When cruising - we love having multiple days on either end of the cruise to enjoy the port cities...

Especially if it's a repositioning cruise 🙂

I love the repositioning cruises. My wife and I are booked on one in 2024 from Singapore to Sydney. 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Like 1

@Ommadawn - sounds like a great cruise...
We love Singapore & have never cruised to Australia - we've been there, just no cruise...

What ship is that on?

Many of the European cruises are also one way or repositioning...

As are some of the Far East cruises & SA & Panama Canal...
All are fabulous

5 hours ago, Von & John said:

@Ommadawn - sounds like a great cruise...
We love Singapore & have never cruised to Australia - we've been there, just no cruise...

What ship is that on?

Many of the European cruises are also one way or repositioning...

As are some of the Far East cruises & SA & Panama Canal...
All are fabulous

This is the cruise. Check it out and feel free to join us. 🙂

• Celebrity Solstice
  • Mar 27Apr 9, 2024
  • Thanks 1

A seven day cruise really just gives you about six days on board— from the time you have unpacked after boarding until the time you start packing the day before disembarking.  When you add travel time to/from port you wind up having spent at least two days preparing for and unwinding from your six days.  So, for the total effective six day cruise, you have spent eight days - it works out to a 25% “tax”:  not an effective investment of time/effort.

Not sure about the point of this thread.  Each cruiser has there own perspective on the length of cruises.  For us, anything less then a month is too short (we are posting this at the midpoint of a 27 day cruise).  We have yet to discover a cruise that is too long :).  I will add that longer cruises are a completely different experience vs 7 day.  You also get a different clientele on long cruises ( not simple back to backs).  On our current voyage there is not a single child or teen and few folks under 40.

Hank

• Like 2

We will sometimes pick up a last minute 7 day cruise when we are in the middle or end  of a land trip. Makes for a pleasant  change.   The last one was an 8 day late Oct  Rome -BCN that came with great one way air home.  

If we were planning in advance, we prefer 14 -21 days.  Any longer we are ready to jump ship.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

We really prefer longer cruises. The problem is that the new ships often does the short, seven nights, cruises and we normally prefer the never ships! 

Our next cruise will be a one week cruise from Barcelona. We should prefer a longer cruise but not on an older ship.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I don't feel 7 is too short. However, 14 is way better! My friends did a 3 night cruise. What is even the point?

3-Days would be a nice weekend - w/ the bonus of being on the water...

If we lived in an area where we could just jump on & off a ship - we’d be tempted by long “weekends” (regardless of the days of the week).  

As it stands today, longer is better - especially around the 21-Day mark.  

With time on either end & travel time.  

Edited by Von & John
  • Like 1

Our first cruise was 11 days (trans Atlantic), which we thought was too short.  We have increased the number of days up to 54 days (which was a b2b2b) in preparation for out 138 day world cruise with a 29 day cruise tacked on it.  We have another 54 day cruise planned in 2024, along with a short 13 day cruise a month before it.

• Like 1

After 5 different 7 day cruises, we have booked our 1st 10 day cruise to The Mexican Rivera & Sea of Cortez for next March. I guess you could say we are taking baby steps, my next goal is a 28 day cruise 🙂

• Like 1

Unfortunately some of us can only square 7nts away from our 'normal' lives due to various commitments so we just make the most of it and enjoy a level of service and the luxury of free time we can only dream of at home. 

If you can get away for longer then count yourself very lucky 😊 

• Like 2

I hear you 2BACRUISER,

We had to wait until we were empty nesters and had enough time in at jobs to have more than a one week vacation every year. And living on West coast helps with costs when it comes to flying in to port cities. When I hit that book button I felt so very lucky. 🙂

• Like 2

On 4/10/2022 at 3:04 PM, Von & John said:

3-Days would be a nice weekend - w/ the bonus of being on the water...

If we lived in an area where we could just jump on & off a ship - we’d be tempted by long “weekends” (regardless of the days of the week).  

As it stands today, longer is better - especially around the 21-Day mark.  

With time on either end & travel time.  

Agree with your thoughts in both paragraphs.  Particularly for a Caribbean cruise, a 21 day cruise (10-11 day b2b) is enjoyable for me--most of the time.  2019-2020, I combined a Christmas/New Year's Cruise of about 16 days on Volendam immediately followed by 7 day cruise on MSC Meraviglia with a two day break in Fort Lauderdale.  Then, 11 day partial-Canal cruise on Eurodam.  Liked those combinations very much.  

The more days, the better.  My longest has been 113 days:  a Grand World Voyage.  When the Amsterdam returned to Fort Lauderdale, I was not ready to get off.  

• Like 2

We have done cruises from 2 nights to 34 nights, Mrs Gut found 34 a tad long (the following cruise was 35 nights and I’d have gladly stayed on.) we both found 2 nights to be a great little weekend away, but to please us both somewhere between a fortnight and three weeks is the sweet spot.

• Like 2

Our longest was 21 days.  We were glad to get off the ship in Perth.  Great cruise.  We got tired of the food, tired of our balcony cabin.   It felt almost antiseptic after a while.  Like living in a small Marriott hotel room.  

This is not to say it was not a very nice cruise because it was all good.  More of a reflection of our tastes and preferences than the cruise line or the ship.

I believe that for us the magic number is probably 14 days.  Friends invited us along on a 3 month trip.  So glad we decided against it.

• Thanks 1

There have been a few occasions when we have picked up a last minute cruise at the end of 8 or 9 week independent land trip.  We found that it was a great way to relax and prepare for our flights home.

We would only select a 7 day cruise if was part of a land trip OR if it was at a last minute give away price and we were near the port.  Alaska would be an example of this for us.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1