Group Live Ruby Princess 4/16-4/30

CineGraphic

Technically, you are still ported in San Pedro.  But what a shocker that would have been.  At least you have a very nice view of the ships anchored at sea, the Angel's Lighthouse/breakwater, and the Palos Verdes Hills.  You might have been able to see Catalina today since the weather was beautiful.  

16 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Technically, you are still ported in San Pedro.  But what a shocker that would have been.  At least you have a very nice view of the ships anchored at sea, the Angel's Lighthouse/breakwater, and the Palos Verdes Hills.  You might have been able to see Catalina today since the weather was beautiful.  

We did have a great view of the 2 cruise ships as they pulled out this evening. The RCCL ship backed out of the channel and turned around directly in front of our starboard side balcony. After it swung around it just stood (?) there while a cargo ship (looked like a car carrier) passed it going out to sea.

• Like 2

Reporting that a great effort has been made to alleviate  the mass confusion at the entrance to Botticelli DR. Still need some refining but a big improvement!! At least they are trying I’m happy to say.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

CineGraphic- Crown Princess has been alternating from at anchor in the harbor and docking at world cruise terminal in San Pedro for awhile now.

From the book Quarantined by Gay Courter, a ship needs to go out to sea to replenish water.  Then she comes back in to get fuel/supplies etc.  I believe the Crown is used for isolation.  No passengers onboard yet.

14 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

From the book Quarantined by Gay Courter, a ship needs to go out to sea to replenish water.  Then she comes back in to get fuel/supplies etc.  I believe the Crown is used for isolation.  No passengers onboard yet.

Agree. I have physically seen multiple ships since 2020 - January 2022 at anchor off several areas in CA.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Excellent book by the way!

• Like 3

As we walked off the ship today in San Diego, Pam spotted this trolley named after Jonas Salk, inventor of the Polio vaccine. Pam’s uncle was the president of the Salk Institute for 18 years before his untimely death in 1989. The weather is great today.

774715C4-B2FC-402A-A6C5-A8D4FB4E3AAA.jpeg

• Like 15

Walked by the USS Midway this morning. It’s surrounded by WWII themed sculptures. Check out the size of this beauty! Those who attended the slot pull might recognize Donna by the woman’s shoe (for scale)66704C49-7564-447B-90AA-FAA00573C9BE.thumb.jpeg.3ffab2971341d8dc940c95bd59b06e9b.jpeg

• Like 4

On 4/18/2022 at 1:37 PM, grak said:

We have dinner each night in the Botticelli dining room……..what a mess to get in.  There’s no line for reservations only and for those just showing up. There’s no “holding” room, people stacked up the stairs. I understand the first night…..it’s usually disorganized. Formal night, yes that’s often disorganized as well. Will see how tonight goes. I tried to change reservations to a different venue but only Botticelli was available. Anyone else having dinner issues? We may have to settle for the buffet. ☹️

Just finished my first Ruby Cruise 4/11 - my first night was so difficult, although all pre-booked on app - that I never ate there again. The buffet wasn't an option because it was too crowded during lunch and dinner, so I dined at the international cafe for the remainder of my 5 day cruise - not impressed. I truly hope you have better luck. I did order room service twice which wasn't great, either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Z0nker said:

Walked by the USS Midway this morning. It’s surrounded by WWII themed sculptures. Check out the size of this beauty! Those who attended the slot pull might recognize Donna by the woman’s shoe (for scale)66704C49-7564-447B-90AA-FAA00573C9BE.thumb.jpeg.3ffab2971341d8dc940c95bd59b06e9b.jpeg

Unsure if it’s the same one, but there used to be an identical sculpture, ‘Unconditional Surrender’, on the promenade at Civitavecchia (Rome) pier many moons ago.

Edited by villauk
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 7:13 PM, CineGraphic said:

the number of folks who prefer traditional dining has declined greatly over the years, and continue to do so.

I'm not so sure that is true - we have been on a waitlist at times for TD, and that was the late seating. I know the early seating is more popular.

8 minutes ago, RNRcruisers said:

I'm not so sure that is true - we have been on a waitlist at times for TD, and that was the late seating. I know the early seating is more popular.

The late seating became more popular some time back when Princess moved up the times such that early TD began at ~5:15pm (or even 5pm).  This made it more unpalatable to dine early and boosted the requests for Late TD. 

(IMO, Princess was responding to the wrong thing - they seemed to think people wanted to dine even earlier, whereas my impression has been that more people wanted Early TD and they needed more space for it and less for Late TD.  Perhaps they knew in doing what they did that they would reduce the demand for Early TD - instead of providing more space for it - and by that send more folks to later TD which would start 7:15 - 7:30 timeframe instead of 8pm or later).

4 hours ago, CAZephyr said:

Any idea how many passengers we will share Ruby with on the 23rd?  Princess website indicates no cabins available.  Thank you.

currently there are 2200 onboard, and guest services says we’ll have 2700 on the 23rd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, partybarbie said:

A quick question for anyone on board, is the Loyalty and Events Manager, Emerson, still on the ship?  If so, for how long?  Thank you. 

I checked while I was on the last Hawaii cruise and was told that he got off in Hawaii.

Just now, WAussieSFO said:

I checked while I was on the last Hawaii cruise and was told that he got off in Hawaii.

Thank you so much for checking.  He was so helpful with my mom's 75th birthday cruise to Alaska, I was hoping to see him again.  Another cruise perhaps?