Voyager resumes sailing 4/15/22

Well this is her first sailing back after You Know What!

Apparently 2,300 made it on board, it seems very busy compared to my precious sailings which were at 50% or less.   We had to have a LFT test ( own expense) day before boarding. 

Very mixed demographic ( lots of different languages)

Lots and lots of children as it’s Easter holiday. Mask wearing recommendations for children seem to be ignored. 

Boarding was chaos with no enforcement of arrival appointments. The line stretched right the way around the terminal.  

The duty free shop at Barcelona port seems bigger and is well stocked. 🍷 

It has been said many times on board that the staff are “new” and it shows I’m afraid.  

Eventually sailed around 7.30p so 2 1/2 hrs late - they still had 12 crates of suitcases on the pier side at 5.  My case was delivered at 7:15.  
Haven’t met my steward yet.  Some people went into cabins which had unmade beds or no towels.

I haven’t received my D+ bathroom upgraded amenities.  And I got one bottle out if the 3 and 2 random sets of slippers ( definitely not on my amenity choice!); but at least I have towels and a clean cabin. Someone found an old dirty pair of flip flops in theirs! 
Paper Cruise compasses received. 

Apparently no “diet” products on board… so no diet coke or sprite ! 
The bar staff are unsure how to make the simplest drinks- I had a odd two toned strawberry margarita yesterday! It tasted ok though.  They were unsure how to make an Aperol Spritz (which is practically considered to be a basic food item here in the Mediterranean!!)

I haven’t been on this ship since the refurbishment. I like the bright colours of the WJ, and the upgraded cushions and loungers in the solarium. But they have cut off access to the back of the ship… you can no longer walk around the outer deck 11 but have to go via an internal corridor. Seems strange. 

Please excuse but I’m a little grumpy as I write this.  Off in search of my steward to request a kettle! Basic British essential!

Hour late arriving into first port of Cartagena but we will leave an hour later tonight. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 8

As LB says, I think we know more than the staff.

I arrived at my cabin with no key. Once I got in, the room was empty. No towels or bath products. D+ or JS I was delivered a coffee machine in the box last night. No pods though or milk or sugar. Not sure the last time the cabin has seen a hoover and the balcony is as bad. I've no D+ amenities either.

I feel sorry for the room attendant as he doesn't know and is trying his best.

I've just come back from a walk in Cartagena and he brought me 3 pods and a glass of milk.

I'll stock up from the windjammer later.

I certainly don't blame the room attendant as he is very nice but the powers above for the lack of training. A simple tick sheet for types of cabins would help them. 

• Like 1

Requested kettle, bathrobe and d+ toiletries again at 10am….. any bets on what time they will arrive ?

I had previously mentioned the lack of ^^ to the LA yesterday afternoon ( not the kettle as that isn’t her remit) and she sent an  email

to housekeeping as I sat there at 3:30 Friday.

Its now 4;30 Saturday. 

On a plus point they obviously nipped into Mercadona ( Spanish supermarket chain) and bought some diet cokes!! 

6 hours ago, little britain said:

Apparently 2,300 made it on board, it seems very busy compared to my precious sailings which were at 50% or less.   We had to have a LFT test ( own expense) day before boarding. 

Lots and lots of children as it’s Easter holiday. Mask wearing recommendations for children seem to be ignored. 

Boarding was chaos with no enforcement of arrival appointments. The line stretched right the way around the terminal.  

It has been said many times on board that the staff are “new” and it shows I’m afraid.  

Eventually sailed around 7.30p so 2 1/2 hrs late - they still had 12 crates of suitcases on the pier side at 5.  My case was delivered at 7:15.  
Haven’t met my steward yet.  Some people went into cabins which had unmade beds or no towels.

I haven’t received my D+ bathroom upgraded amenities.  And I got one bottle out if the 3 and 2 random sets of slippers ( definitely not on my amenity choice!); but at least I have towels and a clean cabin. Someone found an old dirty pair of flip flops in theirs! 

The bar staff are unsure how to make the simplest drinks- I had a odd two toned strawberry margarita yesterday! It tasted ok though.  They were unsure how to make an Aperol Spritz (which is practically considered to be a basic food item here in the Mediterranean!!)

I haven’t been on this ship since the refurbishment. I like the bright colours of the WJ, and the upgraded cushions and loungers in the solarium. But they have cut off access to the back of the ship… you can no longer walk around the outer deck 11 but have to go via an internal corridor. Seems strange. 

Please excuse but I’m a little grumpy as I write this.  Off in search of my steward to request a kettle! Basic British essential!

Hour late arriving into first port of Cartagena but we will leave an hour later tonight. 

I guess now we know why some of the US sailings on her are so inexpensive😇

6 hours ago, little britain said:

Types of Guinea Pigs – From Classic American to Fluffy Teddy

• Haha 4

I don‘t understand this.They have had months to prepare and clean cabins. This is not a question of experience of crew members just some proper planing and basic work. With just about 2300 guests on board compared to 3.800 capacity this should be doable even with new crew members and nothing else to do in the last months…

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

I don‘t understand this.They have had months to prepare and clean cabins. This is not a question of experience of crew members just some proper planing and basic work. With just about 2300 guests on board compared to 3.800 capacity this should be doable even with new crew members and nothing else to do in the last months…

It's all good, Royal got their Money. Hasn't been months and months though, most have crew were getting on about 6 weeks ago, end of February.

What I read lots of Royal's crew from before Covid did not come back so there are a lot of new hires and these last few ships to get back  in action are going to be new untrained crew members so it is to be expected I guess.

Edited by Jimbo

23 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

It's all good, Royal got their Money. Hasn't been months and months though, most have crew were getting on about 6 weeks ago, end of February.

What I read lots of Royal's crew from before Covid did not come back so there are a lot of new hires and these last few ships to get back  in action are going to be new untrained crew members so it is to be expected I guess.

I could understand if bar and restaurant service is not top-notch with unexperienced crew. But even for untrained people 6 weeks should be sufficient to clean cabins and put some towels in….

Edited by Saab4444
  • Like 4

I had suggested this exact cruise to my SIL who was looking for an Easter trip for herself, daughter and granddaughter. Soooo glad they decided to go to Disney instead; I'd never have heard the end of it.

I sympathise with all of you on board who are not having your expectations met. 😞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

Admit it is ridiculous. 
A simple checklist of what a cabin should have…. Sheets and towels as a minimum!!! The family had no sheets for their Children’s bunk beds- ended up getting their own from the laundry supply cupboard… they also had 1 towel between 4 !

Another checklist if the guest has status… should they get anything?

It’s not rocket science!

I’m happy to report I now have bathrobe, a kettle and 2 tubes of white shampoo. I didn’t have the heart to ask for the other tubes. She did give me an extra loo roll and another pack of tissues too. Not sure if this is a new perk!!!

I have not yet seen my steward and they haven’t left their card in the room either! 

Sailing slowly down the Spanish coast with a beautiful sunset over the mountains. 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Biker19 said:

^ For anyone asking about an inaugural/maiden, if you can live the above (or perhaps worse), have at it.

Radiance "maiden" voyage (March 26-29, 2001) was quite an adventure.   A lot of [clueless] new staff.  😲  Still had a good time and the new ship was beautiful.  I was supposed to sail her for a 2nd time, 20 years later, but my May 2021 Alaska sailing was cancelled. 😞

Quantum maiden voyage (Nov. 2-10, 2014) was also interesting.  Not only was the maiden voyage a non-stop TA, it was the very first revenue sailing with the new Dynamic Dining concept (and iPad ordering) ... it didn't go well.  Contract workers all over the ship finishing up projects.  Also, Northstar elevator and some bathrooms were being used as storage "closets".  Again, still had a good time on the brand new ship.  Plus I booked an inside guarantee and was assigned a [now 2D] balcony.  🙂 

Sailing on Voyager on the 8th May.  Hoping they will have sorted out the problems by then. Though they have had time to at least train the crew in cabin cleaning and setting up before taking paying passengers on board.  I hope thing have improved by now for the OP.

• Like 3