The Daily for Sunday 04/17/2022

richwmn

Good Morning All,

He is Risen!

And Happy Easter, and a meaningful Passover to our Jewish friends.

We slept in today. Not on purpose. Normal life resumes tomorrow, with DH returning to work. We attended service last night, online, and plan to go back to in person next week or soon. 

3 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

rCPjMn_qSO8AiECv3FyZyz2ZaHpYWEnREDTwAD_ATm93Dx3CjANodKIxlAU53WG2hvoewEcq1z_uPdAy3PSIlLzb3mO4A2SwsSt5l7aYcQZj_Mdx8uOHc-mKWV-p1vw9HVieo4Nq  Daily-ites,

I wish you each a very meaningful and love filled holiday. May these Ukrainian eggs remind us of the many and varied blessings we enjoy. And, may we all pray for peace.

-Melisa

Thanks for posting that. Back in the late 60s/ early 70s National Geographic did a cover story on the Ukrainian eggs. I remember asking Mom where Ukraine was. I was fascinated, and thrilled to buy one on our cross country driving trip in the early 70s. I parted company with it several years ago.

Your post sent me down a rabbit trail on the internet. I’m considering making or buying some for next year. And I just found the Polish eggs. That deserves some exploration- being I’m ( a newly discovered) half Pole. And I can’t wait to attend the harvest festival this summer at the local Polish parish. I went once, before Covid shut it down, out of curiosity and having no clue at the time of my family heritage.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24

Good morning and Hpapy Easter,  Passover and Ramadan!  Enjoying the port photos, and dinner recipes, and drinks. Thanks! 
@JAM37 happy birthday! 
@Cruzin Terri strange results, hope you recover soon, I had been wondered with your fatigue.  I hope the ships tests are accurate because the antivirals need to be taken early.  Wishes for a quick recovery.  
@smitty34877hope you have a good day, and people do need to get over testing if it helps keep others safe.  I think it’s one of our ways out of this.  

@mamaofami would that be your third J and J?  I know nothing about that vaccine, but hope someone does. 
Enjoy the day, we have beautiful sunshine! 

805F60CA-3EEB-47BA-8BE4-519A51865A3C.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

To complement the daily menus, here are my Passover seder menus (same both nights except as noted).

Smoked salmon (Great Lakes style, in chunks) with horseradish

Borscht (to represent Ukraine)

Chicken in sweet-and-sour sauce

Baked sweet potato (first night)

Mashed carrot casserole with matzah-crumb topping (second night)

Roasted broccoli and cauliflower

Oberlander's Passover cookies - I live out in the middle of nowhere but these turned up in the supermarket.

Wine: Casa de Cielo 2019 Cabernet Sauvignon from Chile.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Visited Raratonga last month on the Zuiderdam, hope to return! I have spent  too many years (as a teacher) with Catcher in the Rye and Salinger. So happy to be with daughter, SIL and our Granddaughters who are dressed in Easter Sunday dresses and ready for an egg hunt at Church, Easter service and brunch at DSIL’s wonderful parents’ home. A sunny cool day in Seattle, so happy to be extending our family celebration month. Getting to  know our youngest (7 months) granddaughter!  Prayers and sunshine today. 
547C0F2C-684E-43E2-A076-CA312B0E2137.thumb.jpeg.ec9e9d46fe2417f1e9194cb0bd1286fc.jpeg

• Like 27

DH and I are heading out to find a grocery store.  We are going to do an "Annie" recipe tomorrow, Shrimp in creamed garlic sauce, over pasta.  We have all the ingredients, except...pasta.  When I say Annie recipe, it's something that I cook up in my head, and then put on the plate.  DH is the chef tomorrow, and I'll let you know how it turns out.  We both are working the late shifts this week,  so this will be the LUNCH, and dinner will be a can of soup. 

My neighbor didn't go to work on Friday (holiday) but I didn't see her note that said she would be home, so no walking of the dog.  She came over Friday night to give me my money, tell me how sick she was, but it must be allergies and proceeded to blah, blah blah for an hour and a half.   I really wish, she had not come over.  I even asked her not to over the phone.  She came over anyway.  Someone had given her a box of 48 individually wrapped waffles, she didn't know the brand, but she didn't have room in her fridge for 48 waffles.  She gave me ten.  We tried them for breakfast today, and while they do look like a waffle, they were stuffed with berries and currents, and it really was nothing more than a glorified poptart.  Which I managed to completely ruin, by pouring the last of my real maple syrup from Woodstock on.....(this is me whining, what a terrible waste of syrup).  But I don't think my neighbor had allergies, as she has not been seen since.  And now my nose is running like crazy.  Well about to mask up, and head out.

Stay safe.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Please say a prayer I get rid of this fever and start feeling better.  I am staying in my cabin for the next few days.  

You are definitely in my prayers 🙏🏻 I’d go by the PCR test too.  Hopefully your fever disappears & you recover quickly so you can enjoy your cruise 🙏🏻 

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

It was a very bumpy tender ride. In fact ‘tender’ did not describe the experience at all!

DH always said they shouldn’t call them tenders - they are roughers 🙂 

13 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

@kazuJacqui, enjoy your outing today, but drive carefully and don’t stay out too late.

8E84B3FB-969E-46E1-B8DB-531A1B935C2C.jpeg.b34b69eb2e09ef88911d78e43bca1d3d.jpeg

LOL - I have no intention of driving tonight.  That’s why they invented taxis.  I don’t drink and drive & I will have a drink 😉 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

DH and I are heading out to find a grocery store.  We are going to do an "Annie" recipe tomorrow, Shrimp in creamed garlic sauce, over pasta.  We have all the ingredients, except...pasta.  When I say Annie recipe, it's something that I cook up in my head, and then put on the plate.  DH is the chef tomorrow, and I'll let you know how it turns out.  We both are working the late shifts this week,  so this will be the LUNCH, and dinner will be a can of soup. 

My neighbor didn't go to work on Friday (holiday) but I didn't see her note that said she would be home, so no walking of the dog.  She came over Friday night to give me my money, tell me how sick she was, but it must be allergies and proceeded to blah, blah blah for an hour and a half.   I really wish, she had not come over.  I even asked her not to over the phone.  She came over anyway.  Someone had given her a box of 48 individually wrapped waffles, she didn't know the brand, but she didn't have room in her fridge for 48 waffles.  She gave me ten.  We tried them for breakfast today, and while they do look like a waffle, they were stuffed with berries and currents, and it really was nothing more than a glorified poptart.  Which I managed to completely ruin, by pouring the last of my real maple syrup from Woodstock on.....(this is me whining, what a terrible waste of syrup).  But I don't think my neighbor had allergies, as she has not been seen since.  And now my nose is running like crazy.  Well about to mask up, and head out.

Stay safe.

Hope you are ok,  we had a couple of people who thought it was allergies too!  People need to isolate if they have any symptoms.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, Happy Easter/Passover/Ramadan!  Bon voyage to those sailing today, and Happy Birthday to @JAM37 , @sailingdutchy's DW, Martha, and @Cat in my lap's uncle!  @Cruzin Terri, hope you feel better soon, and your DH stays well.

We were approaching Rarotonga on Sunday April 17, 2016 on Westerdam, but did not get ashore as the entry to the port was too rough for the tenders to negotiate.  We did some "scenic cruising" instead.  Now at least I know what the inside of the church looks like.

Narrow entry into the port

P1020491.thumb.JPG.7632c7c83f3442560693c70db49896a8.JPG

P1020492.thumb.JPG.78dacb16fc1b19d3eeeaedd2807b1af3.JPG

P1010284.thumb.JPG.dc26f9991843a12155ff903373bac27a.JPG

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Thank you all for all your kind words and prayers.  My fever has gone down but I have a full blown head cold.  I think I got it the day we were in Granada.  It was freezing there.  I wasn’t dressed appropriately.

We are having all our meals in our cabin.  At least for right now.  Tomorrow is Jim’s birthday.  So we will either postpone the celebration or have one by ourselves.  

We have a good butler who is taking good care of us.  That is a plus.  On other cruises we have hardly asked them for anything.  This one is earning his keep.

Again thanks for your kinds thoughts and prayers.  

Hope everyone had a Happy Easter.

Terri

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thank you all for all your kind words and prayers.  My fever has gone down but I have a full blown head cold.  I think I got it the day we were in Granada.  It was freezing there.  I wasn’t dressed appropriately.

We are having all our meals in our cabin.  At least for right now.  Tomorrow is Jim’s birthday.  So we will either postpone the celebration or have one by ourselves.  

We have a good butler who is taking good care of us.  That is a plus.  On other cruises we have hardly asked them for anything.  This one is earning his keep.

Terri

hope  Jim  has a  happy  birthday  and  you  start  to  feel  better  soon.

Jim.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

@marshhawkAnn, I hope you start feeling better, not worse, soon.  Do you have any at home Covid tests you could take?  I'm not sure which day would be appropriate to take it but someone here probably does.

I had a little text marathon with my DD.  She wanted all the reports on Gracie written out so she can refer back to it and not forget anything.  They have her on "loaded doses" of her drugs and will gradually wean her down to a maintenance dose.  So she's slight drunk right now and can't stand up or walk but she is still her usual curious self, eating well and her tail is wagging.  As the drugs are lessened they really think she will go back to her more normal self.  The vet explained dogs who have strokes aren't like humans.  They can easily return to functioning because they don't have to do things like learn to talk again, or do math and other hard things.  The neurologist will do a physical and evaluation so he can make recommendations for her.  The MRI was ruled out because it wasn't felt it could accomplish that much.  And then they told them the cost - $4500.  Dog insurance would have come in handy!  So when Gracie is down to her maintenance dose and able to walk and go outside to do her business on her own, she can come home.  They expect that by end of workday tomorrow.  Hope so.  If, after a month or so, they find things aren't going well, they will have more discussions with the docs on what to do.  

So I'm hoping and praying the optimistic report comes true.  Thank you all for your prayers and concern.  It would be nice to have another prayer request removed from the Care list.🙏

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

Thinking about Gracie while I cooked two batches of marmalade.  Now having my lunch and then I will do a batch of raspberry jam.  I like to do three at a time, because the cleanup has to be done just once.  But it's a lot of standing.   Still have to go to church, Pat keeps reminding me.  We thought Mass was going to be streamed at 9, but they changed it to 11, so had to rearrange my day...

Boy, what chaos in Fort Lauderdale.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

Happy birthday tomorrow Jim.

Graham.

birthday-fireworks.gif.93f1e7c6e52e2869b60c44635b2a604d.gif

• Like 11

@Cruzin TerriI'm glad it's just a head cold; get well soon.

@marshhawkI think I'd be taking a test to be sure it isn't just allergies; you don't want to wander around even with a mask.  Your neighbour sounds like a real peach . . .

@StLouisCruisers happy to hear Gracie is a bit better.  $4500 for a doggie MRI?  Yikes!!

@grapau27loving your cruise photos; I thought you were on one when I spotted the unusual stemware in front of Pauline.

@kazuenjoy your dinner out!

@richwmn you've got mail!

Hope everyone is having a lovely Sunday.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon from sunny, warm to hot Quartzsite.  The morning, while it was cool(er), was spent putting food in the motorhome refrigerator that I don't think we'll need before we leave.  I think that every year, and then have to run out to the motorhome several times.  The spare refrigerator in one of the storage buildings was emptied, turned off and cleaned.  More patio chair cushions are now put away for the summer.  Not much remains to be added to the motorhome, and most of that will need to be done Tuesday and Wednesday morning before we leave.  Our plans are still to leave Wednesday and get home in Texas Saturday afternoon.  That all depends on what the weather gods have in store that is not predicted.

I hope all who celebrate Easter, Passover and Ramadan are having a nice day.   There will be no Easter ham today since we are trying to eat the leftovers.  Tonight we'll be having meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy and salad along with wine.

When I saw Nothing Like a Dame Day early this morning, my first thought was Ray Walston singing the song in South Pacific.  I'll pass on the other two days.  I don't remember playing kickball in elementary school.  We mostly played dodgeball, and hoped someone was not mad at you.  Some could really throw the ball hard.

I'll pass on the drink, and I not sure I want anyone to mess with my hot chocolate.  I'll also pass on the wine.

We were in Rarotonga in 2004 on the Tahitian Princess.  We took the bus around the island; then walked around town.  Unfortunately, all my pictures are on my computer which is not set up.  Enjoyed seeing other’s pictures.

@JAM37  💐 🎂 HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JULIA 🥂🎈

@cat shepard  I loved all the memes, but especially the one about the turn indicator.  I'd just add "and make sure it's off after your turn or lane change."  😄

@kazu  Jacqui, enjoy your dinner after your second negative test. I hope you like your air fryer as much I like mine.  As usual, loved the memes.

@puppycanducruise  I use my air fryer a lot, and everything last night except the salad was cooked in the air fryer.  Mine is a model with racks, so it is easy to cook more than one thing at a time.

@aliaschief Loved the dancing rabbits.

@Cruzin Terri  Sorry you are feeling so bad, and hope you get better soon.  Hope your DH stays well and is able to celebrate his birthday tomorrow.

@sailingdutchy  🛳️ 🎈 BON VOYAGE, TONY AND MARTHA! 🥂🍾

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad you insisted on a negative test from Tana's friend.  The visit should do Tana some good.

@Lady Hudson  Glad you had a nice visit with DSIL and made it home safely.

@Ichiban Nekko  IIRC, @St. Louis Sal posted a month or so ago, but hasn't since then.  

@marshhawk  Ann, I can't believe your neighbor would come over even after you asked her not to come.  I agree with the others that it would be a good idea to do a  home test or two just to be on the safe side.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thank you for the update on Gracie.  Sending good thoughts that once the medicine is normalized, she will be her old self again, and all this will be behind her.  

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 6

10 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

A BIG SCARE!!!

As some of you may have surmised, I haven’t been feeling well since we were in Barcelona.  We skipped a number of things we were going to do, because I had a fatigue I just could not shake.

On Wednesday we stopped in Arecife in the island of Lanzarote.  That volcanic lava really did a job on my throat and in the wee hours of the morning I started to feel like my throat was very dry but not sore.   A few sneezes, but nothing to write home about.  I sneeze a lot anyway.  

Last night I took an At Home COVID test and it showed positive.  This morning I took another with the same results.

We had breakfast in the room and then I called the medical center and reported my sore throat.  They came and did a PCR, took my temp and BP.  Temp was 101.4, BP was high, but I was negative for COVID.  

I guess the PCR is more accurate and I will go with that.

Please say a prayer I get rid of this fever and start feeling better.  I am staying in my cabin for the next few days.  

Jim is fine.  Has no symptoms.  So we will see where this goes.  i have instructions to see the medical staff if I feel worse.

Happy Easter everyone,.

Terri

Just wondering; is there a possibility of flu.  The shot this year did not match the actual strain and it's hanging around on us.

Roy

• Like 12

@JAM37 A very Happy Birthday to you. May you have many more. Hope you enjoyed your special day!

Back from my nephews wedding. It was beautiful. Had a wonderful time but exhausted. 

So next one is May 28 but it is in Naples ( Florida) so driving. Then June 18th in Pennsylvania. Jeez all the nephews !

Rest everyone

Charlene

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Just read this,  so much to consider.  Be safe out there.

image.thumb.png.3881db88c653fe15708dcfd10071da98.png

I heard that on the news and exactly why I wasn’t going to rely on one negative rapid test.  You need two to be sure according to what I heard but a positive is a positive.  I had two negatives in two days so I felt safe to go to my friends tonight.

Amazing what she did - kept us spaced and my spot at the table was way far away.  She wanted to keep Jose and I safe.  She went above and beyond which I never expected.  Such dear friends that care about Jose and I, both.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1