The Daily for Saturday 04/23/2022

richwmn

I think most of the Amsterdam photos I have are duplicates of what has already been posted.  After disembarking Nieuw Statendam in 2019 I had 2 nights in Amsterdam before boarding the train to Kiel to connect with Queen Victoria and QM2 to return home.  The full day in Amsterdam I visited  the Amsterdam Maritime Museum, about a 10-minute bus ride from central Amsterdam.  There were a number of indoor exhibits but it was the ships outdoors that really blew me away.  The first Royal Barge, ordered for the first Dutch King in 1814 sits in a covered shed. It has been restored several times and goes out to the water on special occasions.

barge.jpg

Next was the 1900 Christiana Brunings which served several roles including as an ice breaker.

brunings.jpg

The ship that really blew me away was a ship I dubbed Amsterdam 0 as it predated Holland America.  It's a replica of a ship built in1749 by the Dutch East India Company.  The original sank in mud on it's maiden voyage but preserved to allow exact reproduction by the mud.

adamfull.jpg

Here's a collage of views of the interior of the Amsterdam:

amsterdam.jpg

And the Master's cabin in the Amsterdam.  It's lovely but the Master have better have either been short or good at ducking as the ceilings are only about 5 feet:

adammaster.jpg

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

@Cruzin TerriI hope that you will pass your next test and you both get released.  Smart move to bring your tablet.  I front loaded several books and brought my laptop for my DF to play Monopoly in case we were quarantined.  When we boarded the NS in February there were still quite a few people in lockup.  We hoarded silverware rolls and wine glasses in case we had to pack up and move to lock up.   It really helps to have something to while away your time.   I hope that your line has better movie and TV selection than HA.  Fingers crossed to get sprung on the 25th(?).    

• Like 16

1 minute ago, ottahand7 said:

@Cruzin TerriI hope that you will pass your next test and you both get released.  Smart move to bring your tablet.  I front loaded several books and brought my laptop for my DF to play Monopoly in case we were quarantined.  When we boarded the NS in February there were still quite a few people in lockup.  We hoarded silverware rolls and wine glasses in case we had to pack up and move to lock up.   It really helps to have something to while away your time.   I hope that your line has better movie and TV selection than HA.  Fingers crossed to get sprung on the 25th(?).    

The movie selection is pretty good.  i do have my laptop as well as my tablet.  i may ask DH if he wants it to read some books.  Thanks for the idea.  

We don’t have to hoard silverware or such.  We get served on regular dinnerware and silver. Tonight we had dinner from one of the specialty restaurants.  It was very good.

Terri

• Like 16

12 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

The movie selection is pretty good.  i do have my laptop as well as my tablet.  i may ask DH if he wants it to read some books.  Thanks for the idea.  

We don’t have to hoard silverware or such.  We get served on regular dinnerware and silver. Tonight we had dinner from one of the specialty restaurants.  It was very good.

Terri

Can I take this to mean that your appetite is returning?

Roy

• Like 13

The countdown has begun! My sister joins me on Monday and on Thursday we head to Belgium. After a couple days in Bruge, we'll go to Amsterdam to start our river cruise. I've been to A'dam several times before,  but it will be a first for sis. Can't wait to share it with her!

I spent today working on the front garden so the house looks like it's loved & will be ready for sis. Weeding, then mulch - now I'm sore & tired!!

Thanks to all who contribute to the Daily. Prayers for all who need them and cheers for all who are celebrating! Happy birthday to @cunnorland @marshhawk!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NextOne said:

The countdown has begun! My sister joins me on Monday and on Thursday we head to Belgium. After a couple days in Bruge, we'll go to Amsterdam to start our river cruise. I've been to A'dam several times before,  but it will be a first for sis. Can't wait to share it with her!

I spent today working on the front garden so the house looks like it's loved & will be ready for sis. Weeding, then mulch - now I'm sore & tired!!

Thanks to all who contribute to the Daily. Prayers for all who need them and cheers for all who are celebrating! Happy birthday to @cunnorland @marshhawk!

Sounds like a wonderful time, showing Sis Belgium and The Netherlands.  Enjoy!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Would you share which boat?

Roy

• Like 9

Thank you all for the birthday wishes today.  I had my birthday donut for breakfast,  got taken to lunch by my cruising friends for Thai, and had Greek Gyro with Baklava for dessert.  DH got me flowers and said a new camera was in my future, but no one had one in stock.

I finished up booking  the last of the day "excursions" for my Florida trip, really stepping out of my comfort zone, I got us tickets to the ballet, by the Gulf Shores Ballet group at the BIG ARTS on Sanibel.  DH and the BFF both said," do I have to dress up?"  They were both overjoyed when I told them they could wear T shirts and shorts.  But I wont be.  They know better.  Basically I booked a beach trip for a week, and filled it with non beach things to do.  No one gets bored on my shift.  And I gave myself just enough time at the beach to get a good non healthy burn.  Off to watch F3 sprint race, and then to bed!  

Today, everything that could tell me I was getting older hurt.  My shoulder from when I fell at work and tore my rotator cuff, my elbow which I broke in a fall during the first May in covid.   My knees, and my back with the squished vertebrae.  Yup, I'm officially out of warranty.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Today turned out to be busier than expected.  Before I could wash the cars, I had to clean six months worth of dirt, cedar debris and leaves out of the port  which was not easy with a 20+ mph wind blowing more into the port.  At least most of it is out of there and the cars are clean.  Tomorrow will be spent pulling weeds out of the flower beds and mowing before the rain moves in.  The chance of rain is high enough that we might actually get some.  I'm looking forward to an easy day Monday on the computer.

In a way, out granddog Ginnie was a lost dog.  We think she was actualy dumped after someone put her puppies down a storm drain.  A coworker of our DSIL foumd her, and DSIL took her in.  She was a sweetbdog who had separation anxiety and was terrified of storm drains.

I have enjoyed the pictures of Amsterdam, and I never had time to look for mine.

@Dismomx5  Congratulations on the new grandson.  Enjoy you time with him and his sister.

@Sharon in AZ  Sharon, that accident sounds awful, and sad that three died. I'm glad we missed it, but we didn't miss the winds.

@NextOne  Enjoy your sister's visit and your river cruise.

@dfish  Debbie, glad the conference went well.  Enjoy your freedom.

Lenda

• Like 11

Haven't' posted in a while and don't have access to any of my pics of Amsterdam, I would highly recommend the Dutch Resistance Museum if you have some time in Amsterdam, especially with the Anne Frank House.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Thanks to everyone who contributes to make these  "Daily' threads so special.

Happy Birthday to @marshhawk and @cunnorl, wishing you both much happiness. 

@Dismomx5 Congratulations on the birth of your grandson, you will have a super visit, safe travelling.

@NextOne enjoy your sister's visit, hope you both have a fabulous river cruise.

Visited the Keukenhof gardens many years ago, thanks for all the photos.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks to everyone who contributes to make these  "Daily' threads so special.

Happy Birthday to @marshhawk and @cunnorl, wishing you both much happiness. 

@Dismomx5 Congratulations on the birth of your grandson, you will have a super visit, safe travelling.

@NextOne enjoy your sister's visit, hope you both have a fabulous river cruise.

Visited the Keukenhof gardens many years ago, thanks for all the photos.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

We always enjoy your late check in post. Kia Ora to our New Zealand’s Cruise Critic friends.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Can I take this to mean that your appetite is returning?

Roy

Yes, Roy, to an extent.  I ate about 1/2 of my dinner.  That is better than 1/3.

I did not take more than 2 spoonfuls of the Tiramisu.  DH finished both of them.

Terri

• Like 8

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I think most of the Amsterdam photos I have are duplicates of what has already been posted.  After disembarking Nieuw Statendam in 2019 I had 2 nights in Amsterdam before boarding the train to Kiel to connect with Queen Victoria and QM2 to return home.  The full day in Amsterdam I visited  the Amsterdam Maritime Museum, about a 10-minute bus ride from central Amsterdam.  There were a number of indoor exhibits but it was the ships outdoors that really blew me away.  The first Royal Barge, ordered for the first Dutch King in 1814 sits in a covered shed. It has been restored several times and goes out to the water on special occasions.

barge.jpg

Next was the 1900 Christiana Brunings which served several roles including as an ice breaker.

brunings.jpg

The ship that really blew me away was a ship I dubbed Amsterdam 0 as it predated Holland America.  It's a replica of a ship built in1749 by the Dutch East India Company.  The original sank in mud on it's maiden voyage but preserved to allow exact reproduction by the mud.

adamfull.jpg

Here's a collage of views of the interior of the Amsterdam:

amsterdam.jpg

And the Master's cabin in the Amsterdam.  It's lovely but the Master have better have either been short or good at ducking as the ceilings are only about 5 feet:

adammaster.jpg

Roy

Excellent photos Roy.

Graham.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

Yes! He was born healthy last Saturday. DD had some complications but they were dealt with and the two were able to go home after two days. And since we haven't seen his sister in person since she was just his age (she'll be 3 in June) we are very excited for baby and toddler cuddles! ❤️

Congratulations on the birth of your new grandson.

• Like 7