Live from the Caribbean Princess: Panama Canal - Apr 26 to May 14 - SF to FTL

Ken the cruiser

3 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

I don’t know why - it’s been happening on other voyages as well - there’s no published outage of either the legacy MEO O3b network or the new exciting m3POWER 03b network, but ping times show they’re using the old GEO satellites a non-zero amount of the time.    Surprisingly, the newer constellation would be cheaper to use - the same amount of data takes up far less of the capacity so the satellite subscriber pays less. 

It’s just weird and Princess has been reimbursing a lot of customers as a result. 

Thanks for the reasoning about the wifi connections.

20 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

True. Our steward’s first day was the same day we boarded the ship and one of our CC dining waiters, Francis, will leave the ship in June after his 9 month contract ends. No telling who’s going to be on the ship in 7 months. Now, if they had a staff picture outside of Vines or Crooners I could take a picture of, that would work. But, unfortunately, I haven’t seen any yet.

Please tell Francis that Debbie and Gary say hi, (with Joyce and Dave )from Jan and Feb. He is a star!

1 hour ago, VibeGuy said:

I don’t know why - it’s been happening on other voyages as well - there’s no published outage of either the legacy MEO O3b network or the new exciting m3POWER 03b network, but ping times show they’re using the old GEO satellites a non-zero amount of the time.    Surprisingly, the newer constellation would be cheaper to use - the same amount of data takes up far less of the capacity so the satellite subscriber pays less. 

It’s just weird and Princess has been reimbursing a lot of customers as a result. 

I would have thought the satellite service provider Princess and probably other cruise lines are purchasing bandwidth from would be the one that would choose which satellite(s) a cruise ship, depending on location, would be directed to point their satellite dishes at, not the other way around.

But then, I’m just over here in the peanut gallery enjoying the 2-3+ mbps speeds being provided on the ship who still remembers the joy of upgrading from a 2400 baud dialup modem to a state-the-art 9600 bps dialup modem back in the late 80s. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Went to the second Fred Cist astronomy lecture, Cruising Through The Cosmos. Like I said before, this guy is good and had some pretty cool pictures, of which only a few are listed below. 😁

I'm glad you are enjoying Freddie's presentations.  If you can catch him at Crooner's ask him if he has any more sailings booked.  I have his e-mail address but if he is going to be on other sailings it would be great to publish it here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, srice said:

I'm glad you are enjoying Freddie's presentations.  If you can catch him at Crooner's ask him if he has any more sailings booked.  I have his e-mail address but if he is going to be on other sailings it would be great to publish it here.

Unfortunately, we don’t visit the lounges. So if you could email him that might be a better route to take to get that scheduling information.

For those of you that enjoy playing Bingo while on a Princess cruise, you may have read that Deal or No Deal is also slowing making its way onboard the various ships in the fleet. 

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/entertainment/1k-free-cruise-grabs-princess-brings-deal-or-no-deal-game-show-aboard

You may or may not also have heard when it arrived on Celebrity ships, Bingo disappeared. You’ll be happy to know that will not be the case on Princess ships based on a conversation I had with these two very nice crew members.

CD28BBBB-D322-43DC-BDCA-298420F95872.thumb.jpeg.bfba5984a8dbe3d683fc8f471ba2e829.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

For those of you that enjoy playing Bingo while on a Princess cruise, you may have read that Deal or No Deal is also slowing making its way onboard the various ships in the fleet. 

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/entertainment/1k-free-cruise-grabs-princess-brings-deal-or-no-deal-game-show-aboard

You may or may not also have heard when it arrived on Celebrity ships, Bingo disappeared. You’ll be happy to know that will not be the case on Princess ships based on a conversation I had with these two very nice crew members.

OH i would be sooo upset if they removed bingo...but glad they said it wasn't going away...lets hope they are truly in the know. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I believe they have two!

5604CE78-7AFA-488B-9FB6-D79125358B3F.thumb.jpeg.9639bef6f4694940acb3723afe9fdcf5.jpeg

@GonzoWCS, sorry I just realized I had a senior moment and related a Craps table to a Roulette table. But at the same time I don’t remember seeing a Craps table with someone rolling the dice. I’ll check later on and if I find one I’ll let you know.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

@GonzoWCS, sorry I just realized I had a senior moment and related a Craps table to a Roulette table. But at the same time I don’t remember seeing a Craps table with someone rolling the dice. I’ll check later on and if I find one I’ll let you know.

No worries Ken, just continue having fun.  Senior moments, well they are a thing... 🙂

Cheers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

For those interested as I haven’t post a lunch menu yet, here is today’s Club Class one which I understand is the same for the MDR. 

3715AE01-D703-475C-B7B3-24C86FD4636D.thumb.jpeg.b7e3a8b486bc6d2036c4ccfb3f426147.jpeg

5E784252-FA63-43FF-AECC-B6CD015B05D7.thumb.jpeg.587db26206365652bb647988b51e42bf.jpeg

What's the dress code for lunch in mdr we have never been? Can men wear shorts and a tee?

10 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

Hi Joe & Amelia.  I hope Steve is on your cruise , I have not seen him for a very long time , of course I have  not been on a cruise for a little while. The picture was from 2016 of Steve and I.

Enjoy your cruise coming up.

Julie

Julie, We last saw Steve in either late 2018 or early 2019. At that time, we made up a couple of t-shirts with his signature "LOOK, A YELLOW BIRD" statement printed on it complete with a yellow bird flying away. I have a bad feeling that we are going to just miss him when we sail.

1 cruise down with 3 more to go this year. We will enjoy each and every one, Thanks.

2 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

Julie, We last saw Steve in either late 2018 or early 2019. At that time, we made up a couple of t-shirts with his signature "LOOK, A YELLOW BIRD" statement printed on it complete with a yellow bird flying away. I have a bad feeling that we are going to just miss him when we sail.

1 cruise down with 3 more to go this year. We will enjoy each and every one, Thanks.

Joe, I think Steve has an email ,but his website is  not updated for shows. Try Steve Moris comedy . Only 1 R.

Yep remember yellow bird in his show. Wow shirts & all for you. Hope he will be on your cruise,he’s great.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cruisingpeople said:

Ken, I noticed that you had Steve Morris circled on your patter at the beginning of your cruise. According to today's patter, he is performing again tonight. He usually talks to passengers just before and after each show. If you get a chance, (and if he is outside the venue), would you please try and find out if he scheduled to be on the Caribbean Princess for either the May 28 - June 4 or June 4- June 11 cruise??

TIA

Unfortunately, he’s leaving tomorrow to head to the Ruby Princess, and that’s all the schedule he was willing to share at the end of his show. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Unfortunately, he’s leaving tomorrow to head to the Ruby Princess, and that’s all the schedule he was willing to share at the end of his show. 

Figures...... I just got off the Ruby last Saturday.  Always a day late and a dollar short....LOL

Thank you for the update.

• Like 1