The Daily for Friday 04/29/2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Trees are so important for our earth; we should all be planting more in cities and the countryside.  I much prefer greenery to desert.  Depending on what's on the radio, I might convince DH to do a quick dance with me around the kitchen today.  We did take ballroom dance lessons for a while, but well, that didn't work out so good.  LOL

Home again, home again, jiggity jig.  After a week in Calgary with DS and his family we slept in our own beds last night.  It was a great week, filled with giggles, laughter, and the best part of all when the little 2 year old grandson looked up at me while I was washing his hands and said:  "Gama, I love you."   Sigh.    The drive home was uneventful except for the fact that DH seems to have done something to his right knee.  He had the left one replaced about 5 years ago and says the sharp pain he's experiencing is the same as he had in the left before surgery.  While we were on the road (I drove the whole way home), I activated the handsfree part of our car and called to make an appointment with our doctor for this afternoon.  We'll see what happens.

I'm sorry I missed so many wonderful events this past week and send my good wishes to all.  @cat shepardI am saddened for you at the loss of your cousin.

Sochi was happy to see us yesterday, so I expect I'll be calling her Velcro Cat today as she will likely not leave my side except to eat.   Despite DH's painful knee, he helped carry a couple of things in from the car (we made our usual trek to IKEA, resulting in a back seat full of large blue bags) before settling into his recliner.  I managed to unload the rest of the car, unpack the suitcases and go through the mail before collapsing into bed last night.  Not a lot to be happening today except for laundry.

I think I'd like today's menu suggestion, but it's Friday night pizza night at our house.  We'll check the online menus to see what appeals to us and will probably pick one up to set on the dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and all who are providing aid.  Extra also for our Daily family with health and family issues.  We'll raise our glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, get your boosters, wear your masks when you need to and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Welcome home! I've missed you.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Still sunny, cool, no rain. All the roofing in my life seems to fairly complete now.... the shelter needs a bit of trim work... my condo is finished and I have swept the driveway multiple times for stray nails, screws and staples. Now we need to rain test everything.

Have not been to today's destination. I love a good scotch drink. Not wild about fish so I think I will pass on the meal. @cat shepardsorry to hear about your cousin. 

Working on sorting the condo today. I have to have kitchen cleared by the 17th so I can get new cabinets, counter tops and dishwasher installed. The stove and frig are still good, I hope. I am finding more "stuff" which needs to go away. I used to do lots of baking, but no more as I don't need to eat it. I can probably cut down on bread pans, pie plates and other items.  Thrift store - here they come.

Best wishes and positive thoughts to all. Sail away when you can!!!!

Susan

• Like 26

Like many folks on this thread, we have been to Grand Turk several times. It is not our favorite stop but it is okay as a beach day and for a stroll around the flower plantings.

Margaritaville seemed extra loud this visit (3/29/22)!

20220329_125647.thumb.jpg.298d6657e7b314bd56d811b629ee01d2.jpg

DSC_0498.thumb.JPG.4abbafee8d0b746f6449f2d24ad535e5.JPG

This seemed like a new spot since our last visit. It is on the opposite side of the pier from Margaritaville (beyond the NASA exhibits). It is much calmer and had lots of lounge chairs. Our PCC ate there and said it was good. We will give it a try next time we visit.

DSC_0516.thumb.JPG.ee297043fc7f5a35a5f5abf954664fc2.JPG

DSC_0517.thumb.JPG.4d3e366cbae30820d3288052a57bbe8d.JPG

View of the pier from near The Beached Whale -

DSC_0515.thumb.JPG.7c6a1dcefd0c140b86a69cb7ac4ff220.JPG

Business looked a little slow -

DSC_0546.thumb.JPG.5f840a51d8f7c3f99a65887a201a0375.JPG

Edited by Overhead Fred
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good morning from a cloudy and windy central Texas.  Our forecast is for more of the same for the next several days, and a chance of rain on Monday.  It looks like the telescopes will not be put to use for a while.  Three things make stargazing difficult if not impossible -- clouds/rain, wind and a full moon.  Right now, we have two of the three.

I'll celebrate Arbor Day and Greenery Day.  We have quite a few trees around here, mainly oak and cedar, neither of which are favorites. In the spring, the cedar trees cause allergies to flair up, and in the fall many of the fallen oak leaves pile up in our rv port.  We usually find them in the spring when we return from the desert.  BTW, our part of the desert can be green with mesquite, ironwood and palo verde trees and with the various desert bushes and cacti.  Even with two left feet, I enjoy dancing, but we don't do it too often.  

The quote is one I don't like.  We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.

We have not been to Grand Turk.  Thank you @ottahand7, @StLouisCruisers, @kochleffel, @summer slope, and @Overhead Fred for your pictures.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope you can get out of the driveway and to the hospital.  Sending positive thoughts that today is a much better day for you and Jose.

@smitty34877  Terry, that is a cute picture of the DGC and the spotted cat.  Have fun at Coney Island.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, I'm glad you caught the credit card fraud and that the bank is taking care of it.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm sorry you cannot get the J&J booster.

@rafinmd  Roy, we looked at the 2019 Maasdam Alaska cruises, and she did a few 14-day cruises and one 21-day cruise that went to Nome.  We did 67 days on Veendam instead, so we missed our chance to sail on the Massdam, the only S class ship we never sailed.

@ger_77  Gerry, welcome home.  I hope your DH can get help with his knee.

@durangoscots  Susan, I know your glad to get the roofing behind you and that there are no leaks.  Don't be surprised if you keep finding roofing nails.  When we had our roof replaced, I kept finding the nails in the flowerbeds for a year.  Secretly, I think they found a way to reproduce.  🤣

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We have been to a local garden centre and relaxing in the back garden now.

Graham

IMG_20220429_163904.jpg

Graham, I was wondering if you cut your lawn yourself? If so, by chance are you using an Allett or Hayter? It looks beautiful.

Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

I plan to enjoy arbor and greenery day today by communing with nature in the garden.  No rain and maybe up to 60° F -- yay! Maybe I'll do a little dance, but only in the backyard where nobody can see me. 😄

I'll pass on the meal, drink and wine today.  I like most fish, but the spices in this recipe stop me. We'll be in Grand Turk twice this fall, thanks for all photos!  I really hate crowded beaches, but have read that if we take a right on the beach instead of a left, and walk a little ways, it's much better -- a little rocky, but we don't mind that.  Does anyone have any experience with that? We really aren't beach people, but it would be nice IF it isn't too crowded.

Just this morning we had a call from the company that will be installing our A/C.  They had a cancelation and now we're getting it on Monday (!) 6 weeks earlier!  I read last night that our summer will be warmer and drier than usual, (but not as bad as last summer thank goodness).  So this is good news!

@kazuJacqui you're in my prayers daily. There are no words for what you and Jose are going through. 🙏

@cat shepardAnn my deepest condolences on the loss of your dear cousin.

@dfishDebbie hugs and prayers for you as you find a solution to your pain.  You're probably right in thinking it's the gall bladder.

@ger_77Gerri welcome home!  Nothing like hearing "I love you" from those little ones.  🙂  

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Aloha, We had a wonderful day yesterday yet emotional when paying our respects.

Only active duty or retired militarily are eligible to apply and receive permission to have a tour of Pearl Harbor on the Admirals Barge.

We we’re able too see things never seen before such as the remains of the USS Utah. Which entombs 58 of her crew plus the ashes of one three old girl. One of the crew’s twin daughter died and it was his wish to scatter her remains at sea which never happened. We passed the USS Missouri before  paying our respects at the Arizona Memorial. A very memorable day.

Spent some afternoon time at pool then dinner out. Then early to bed as we are still adjusting to the time zone changes. It’s 7:15 AM here as I write. 

Today more time at pool and tomorrow we fly to Kauai.

Enjoy your day and here’s some pics from our day at Pearl Harbor Aloha!

image.thumb.jpeg.e5aa3ee5c99f8b5a6f27696fe96c8f7c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e94610f3fbff7d4c3225050ab4a99036.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ed6f74e298a257d82a86d80886030539.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2b195caad231587d5cb11b0fcd74e1a5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b5959718018db47d1c5729bdbe3c63a4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ae87b8bb6abf8cd2092ff63cadebbdc9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a270c508bee61e78914ebf0eb98b3998.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7b416cbecfd9243808513ed764d97bd9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f4145e320c23bca52002d1b9d5f5e14b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cce03b0d873c75749c58616e3d2b17da.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 9

Good morning  and thanks all.  Glad to be back to this kind place after venturing a little further on one of the threads, yikes! We have friends that have quite a wine cellar, with that Winston Churchill.   😀

@cat shepard sending my deepest condolences on the loss of your close cousin.   I never had a sister and understand how close cousins can be. 

@ger_77 glad you had a lovely visit, always a joy to see the little ones.  Hope your DH can get some help for his knee.  

6F41EC00-8FB7-4096-A8A7-1C64B7643B3D.jpeg

684F60F3-C459-4316-9AE3-43E228F03E9C.jpeg

436C7DC3-F6C9-4748-90E0-1B9E4795EE29.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Graham, I was wondering if you cut your lawn yourself? If so, by chance are you using an Allett or Hayter? It looks beautiful.

Jack

Pauline likes to cut the grass with a Flymo hover mower.

We used to pay Pauline's sister who lives next door to do all the gardening when we both worked full-time.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

A salute to Arbor Day and Greenery - lots of trees and greenery around here; we get honored as a "tree city" regularly. I like to watch dance. Funny quote.

I'll pass on the meal unless made with chicken maybe. Pass on the drink. 

I haven't been to Grand Turk; don't really do beaches much. Thanks for the pictures.

It's warming back up here. Well, talk about sticker shock. The 2 preferred meds for the RA and uveitis aren't covered and one would be about $6k a month and the other $2700 a month. I suspect I won't qualify for assistance on income, but they may be covered under Medicare Part B. Two that wouldn't help my eyes in addition to the RA are covered, but still $2k/month out of pocket. I'll talk to the specialty pharmacist next week.

@kazu Oh my, ice and snow! Hopefully the last for this year. I hope you find Jose improved today.

@smitty34877 Have another fun day with the DGC! Prayers for Tana, as well.

@Crazy For Cats Wow on the fraudulent charges!

@cat shepard My condolences on the loss of your close cousin. Prayers for comfort.

@ger_77 It sounds like you had a grand time with DS and his family. I hope DH's appointment goes well and can help with his knee. 

@aliaschief Thanks for the Pearl Harbor photos.

Prayers for the Care List and Ukraine. A toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline likes to cut the grass with a Flymo hover mower.

We used to pay Pauline's sister who lives next door to do all the gardening when we both worked full-time.

Graham.

That would explain why there aren't any tracks from wheels. Brilliant!

• Like 15

Good morning!  Yes, it's still morning here and quite a lovely day too.

Ann @cat shepard -- I am so sorry for your loss of your close cousin.  It must have been quite a shock if it was sudden.  May your memories help with your loss.

I love catfish if fried right.  There used to be a Southern restaurant here, I forget the name, but they had the best fried catfish I ever had.  I recently had it at Texas Roadhouse and hated it.  So, I think I'd like today's dish but without the head like in the pictures.  😉

We are having Porterhouse steak with twice baked potatoes.  The potatoes are baking right now.  I've been asking Craig to cook more since he will be retired soon.  (That's happening in July.)  Steak is easy for him so that's today's meal.  He doesn't know this but I'm making strawberry shortcake for tonight.  I used to do this all the time, just have a meal out of strawberry shortcake as a splurge.  It's fun and unexpected and you aren't too stuffed to enjoy it.

We have never been to Grand Turk in all our Caribbean cruises.  We aren't beach people either but do enjoy HMC.  Thanks to everyone for sharing pictures.

Graham @grapau27, I love your yard!  Quite beautiful and well kept.

I ordered the proctored Binax Now covid tests from Emed this morning.  I am getting concerned about availability of testing once in Spain and coming home from Italy.  So, I thought this will help to ease that worry.

Well, I need to get back to my laundry.  Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
edit
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning!  Yes, it's still morning here and quite a lovely day too.

Ann @cat shepard -- I am so sorry for your loss of your close cousin.  It must have been quite a shock if it was sudden.  May your memories help with your loss.

I love catfish if fried right.  There used to be a Southern restaurant here, I forget the name, but they had the best fried catfish I ever had.  I recently had it at Texas Roadhouse and hated it.  So, I think I'd like today's dish but without the head like in the pictures.  😉

We are having Porterhouse steak with twice baked potatoes.  The potatoes are baking right now.  I've been asking Craig to cook more since he will be retired soon.  (That's happening in July.)  Steak is easy for him so that's today's meal.  He doesn't know this but I'm making strawberry shortcake for tonight.  I used to do this all the time, just have a meal out of strawberry shortcake as a splurge.  It's fun and unexpected and you aren't too stuffed to enjoy it.

We have never been to Grand Turk in all our Caribbean cruises.  We aren't beach people either but do enjoy HMC.  Thanks to everyone for sharing pictures.

Graham @grapau27, I love your yard!  Quite beautiful and well kept.

I ordered the proctored Binax Now covid tests from Emed this morning.  I am getting concerned about availability of testing once in Spain and coming home from Italy.  So, I thought this will help to ease that worry.

Well, I need to get back to my laundry.  Have a great day everyone!

Thank you Sharon.

Screenshot_20210908_202954.jpg

Screenshot_20210908_202452.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kochleffel said:

The captain told us that it had come from Great Inagua in the Bahamas. On the surface, Grand Turk seems like an odd place for a medical evacuation since it has only a 10-bed hospital and the hospital at Providenciales is only 20 beds, but the purpose was to transfer the patient to a fixed-wing aircraft for evacuation to Miami.

I saw a photo of an astronaut here that I had not seen in person in my 4 visits (3 Crystal plus Koningsdam).  I have just a couple of my photos to share.  Grand Cayman has a history in out space program as the landing port for our very first space flight.  It is appropriate as the island has what's actually a pretty decent airport capable of handling a 737, so the astronauts and spent capsule could be easily returned to the UA.  A replica of John Glenn's Freedom 7 capsule sits at the entrance to the airport, a stone's throw from the port. 

mercury1.jpg

My last time in Grand Turk was on the Crystal Symphony in 2019.  A bit unexpected but it was the last time I was on the scene for a meeting of Crystal's 2 ships.  We were joined by the Nieuw Amsterdam creating a bit of a logistics issue.  Since Carnival group owns the port, Nieuw Amsterdam had top priority for the dock, leaving one berth for Crystal's 2 ocean ships.  The older ship, Crystal Symphony got the dock because she has conventional propeller and rudder while Crystal Serenity could tender more easily since she has azipods and dynamic positioning:

trio.jpg

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Now it's afternoon, and I am home, making soup from chicken bones I had in the freezer.  I am in clean-out-the-freezers mode.  I don't think I will have to go to the grocery store for weeks if I continue.  

@cat shepard, so sorry about your cousin.  I have a cousin/sister, too.  I worry about her all the time, she has MS,  her son has MS, daughter has RA - what a family we are!

DS, Neil, emailed today that he went back to work, but they tested him, he's still positive so they sent him home.   I will wait until he's back at work to go in and get my new glasses.  The optometrist said my distance vision is worse, but my near vision is better - something to do with the cataracts.  Pat has to go back to the ophthalmologist who did his cataract surgeries to have  laser work done - some sort of clean-up...

I'm not much of a beach person, either, but we were with Tony and Martha and their Dutch friends on Koningsdam visiting Grand Turk in 2018.  Just wandered around. (We turned left 😄).

P1050709.thumb.JPG.4abb0c9c18dfe726b5a8d63c641b57d8.JPG

P1050707.thumb.JPG.57c7e4b0619b247760af17a12eb40c12.JPG

P1050714.thumb.JPG.11207bbd4692f40dff97b8b2c7203fc2.JPG

P1050715.thumb.JPG.a9e8300d1ce4c7ea88ddf483c297da44.JPG

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

A replica of John Glenn's Freedom 7 capsule sits at the entrance to the airport, a stone's throw from the port. 

Not from the same cruise, but here's a photo from a pre-cruise stay in Cocoa Beach.

1762108290_Orig7astronauts.jpg.b9dd9ef3a41bfcfbf427954914212f30.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Greetings as we sail from Cartagena to Palma de Mallorca.

Thank you Rich and Roy for the lists.

@cat shepardMy condolences on the loss of your close cousin.  I understand how hard that is.  I was an only child and had two close cousins that were like a brother and sister to me.  When they passed away it was very hard for me.  I will pray that you can remember the love you shared and cherish those memories.

@kazu, I pray that today you find Jose in better shape and that he is still on the nursing home list.  I pray that you have all the strength you need to cope with this situation.

@dfishI hope you can get to the bottom of your pain issues and they are resolved soon.

Today we were in Cartagena.  We had every intention of seeing the city.  We even got off the ship for a while.  I just could not do it.  We walked to the end of the port and I was so exhausted that we turned around and came back to the ship.  I took a two hour nap.  I just cannot shake this fatigue.

Tomorrow is Palma de Mallorca.  I really want to see the Cathedral if nothing else.  It is supposed to be magnificent.  Our original plan was to take the train to Soller and then the tram.  Have lunch, take a taxi back so that we could visit the Cathedral.  Well further research found that the Cathedral closes at 2:15 on Saturdays so we are going to skip the excursion to Soller and spend the time in Palma.  That is presupposing I can do it.

Honestly, this cruise is a waste for us.  We have not ventured out much.  it is almost like we really need to find another with the same itinerary and do it over when we/I feel better and have more energy.  Still not eating much.  Keep trying but not doing too well.

So prayers for everyone on the cares list and everyone who contributes to the Daily.  You people make my day and I am grateful for you all.

Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.  Stay safe and wear your mask.

God bless.

Terri

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

@cat shepard,Ann I am so sorry to hear about your cousin.My condolences  to you and your family.

@grapau27, The garden is just so beautiful  and I am glad you get to enjoy it often. Thank you for the pictures.

We had a  beautiful  but windy day at the aquarium. We sat outside for the sea lion show and enjoyed the many school groups.My hat is off to teachers anyway but it was really impressive  to see so many very young children  follow directions  so well!

Here is a fish with attitude

8119.jpeg

Edited by smitty34877
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Greetings as we sail from Cartagena to Palma de Mallorca.

Thank you Rich and Roy for the lists.

@cat shepardMy condolences on the loss of your close cousin.  I understand how hard that is.  I was an only child and had two close cousins that were like a brother and sister to me.  When they passed away it was very hard for me.  I will pray that you can remember the love you shared and cherish those memories.

@kazu, I pray that today you find Jose in better shape and that he is still on the nursing home list.  I pray that you have all the strength you need to cope with this situation.

@dfishI hope you can get to the bottom of your pain issues and they are resolved soon.

Today we were in Cartagena.  We had every intention of seeing the city.  We even got off the ship for a while.  I just could not do it.  We walked to the end of the port and I was so exhausted that we turned around and came back to the ship.  I took a two hour nap.  I just cannot shake this fatigue.

Tomorrow is Palma de Mallorca.  I really want to see the Cathedral if nothing else.  It is supposed to be magnificent.  Our original plan was to take the train to Soller and then the tram.  Have lunch, take a taxi back so that we could visit the Cathedral.  Well further research found that the Cathedral closes at 2:15 on Saturdays so we are going to skip the excursion to Soller and spend the time in Palma.  That is presupposing I can do it.

Honestly, this cruise is a waste for us.  We have not ventured out much.  it is almost like we really need to find another with the same itinerary and do it over when we/I feel better and have more energy.  Still not eating much.  Keep trying but not doing too well.

So prayers for everyone on the cares list and everyone who contributes to the Daily.  You people make my day and I am grateful for you all.

Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.  Stay safe and wear your mask.

God bless.

Terri

Palma is a nice city.

The cathedral is the centre piece and you see it when you sail in and out of Palma.

There is a maze of small shops behind the cathedral.

I hope you feel better tomorrow.

Graham.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Palma is a nice city.

The cathedral is the centre piece and you see it when you sail in and out of Palma.

There is a maze of small shops behind the cathedral.

I hope you feel better tomorrow.

Graham.

Thank you Graham.

Terri

• Like 14

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning  and thanks all.  Glad to be back to this kind place after venturing a little further on one of the threads, yikes!

I have a feeling I know exactly what thread you were on 😉 A couple of very pleasant posters (full sarcasm) on it 😳 

Great pics!

42 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

DS, Neil, emailed today that he went back to work, but they tested him, he's still positive so they sent him home.   I will wait until he's back at work to go in and get my new glasses.  The optometrist said my distance vision is worse, but my near vision is better - something to do with the cataracts.  Pat has to go back to the ophthalmologist who did his cataract surgeries to have  laser work done - some sort of clean-up...

Good plan on waiting for you new glasses for a bit Ann 😉 

Jose was very happy with his cataract surgery and clean up - I hope Pat is too  🤞 

40 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thanks to you and everyone else.  Sadly Jose was not better today.  They are increasing his pain meds.  Yesterday I could hold his hand and calm him.  Today he didn’t want me touching him other than his arm.  He is very agitated and “out of it”.

I don’t believe he’s off the list though as they consider this temporary.  I sure hope they are right 🙏

40 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Covid can really take it out of you.  My sister got in and she was exhausted for two weeks.  I think if you can do the Cathedral tomorrow you will be doing well.

I know the cruise is a disappointment but try to enjoy what you can do as much as you can.  

And there’s nothing wrong with itinerary being repeated in the future.  I am just glad that you have both recovered.  I know it’s frustrating but try to give it time (Pot meet kettle).

@ger_77welcome home.  Aren’t those “Love you” words from the grands wonderful ♥️ 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 8

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks to you and everyone else.  Sadly Jose was not better today.  They are increasing his pain meds.  Yesterday I could hold his hand and calm him.  Today he didn’t want me touching him other than his arm.  He is very agitated and “out of it”.

I don’t believe he’s off the list though as they consider this temporary.  I sure hope they are right 🙏

I am sorry to hear this.  I was so praying that he would somehow get past this edema.  Maybe with he proper meds it can be resolved.  He has to be very uncomfortable.  Prayers for both of you.

Terri

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1