How dressy is dressy on HAL Nieuw Statendam?

TTFN2013

I have gorgeous full length formal dresses that hang in the closet and are rarely worn.  I'd like to dress up for gala night, however formal wear is a pain to pack. I could pack lighter if all that is needed is smart dinner attire. 

This is our first time cruising with Holland America. We're leaving out of Barcelona and doing northern Europe.  Can anyone answer, "How dressy is dressy?", on the Holland America New Statendam? 

If you look around the board, there are many, many, many threads on the dress code. I am not aware that it is more or less dressy on a given ship. 

You are always allowed to dress up as much as you wish. On Gala nights there will be a number of people who are dressed very elegantly, others less so. You could bring your formal attire if you wish, or you could wear your smart dinner attire.

• Like 4

I have noticed that cruising in Europe tends to be dressier than cruising in North America.  If you’d like to wear a gorgeous formal gown I’m sure you’d look beautiful.  If you prefer to pack smart casual then you will still be fine.  Have a wonderful time.

• Like 7

Thank you for the quick response from you Canada Rocks, also from Cruiser Bruce. I'm trying to get a feel for the vibe of this cruise line. My feeling is it's more adult and formal than other lines that cater to a young party crowd.

I'm curious to see how many people answer what they would do.

A. Go formal or B. Go smart dinner attire. 

42 minutes ago, TTFN2013 said:

I always bring formal wear, but it's made of chiffon or georgette, so it's lightweight. Cocktail length, so as not to get caught in my scooter or rollator. 
When I was stronger I brought beaded tops with an elegant skirt, but that ended when my suitcase was over 50 lbs. once. 
So, I guess my answer is A. Go formal.

• Like 3

If you like to dress up then by all means - dress up!    But if you want to blend into the pack then men will were a sport coat with tie and women will wear a sparkly top with a pants suit or cocktail dress. 

Very few gowns and tuxedos - maybe 3%

Its up to you - no one onboard will care what you wear one way or the other....

I always dress up FWIW

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Pack light. I do jeans and button up shirt with sneakers (not sport shoes) in the dining room. Gala nights it’s chinos and casual leather shoes and button up shirt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

If you can pack it without compromising your luggage allowance, then bring it and wear it.

This is great advice.  

DH and I always bring our formal wear and happily put it on for Gala nights.  If you like dressing up, why not do it on a cruise?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There is not any pressure to bring tuxes and gowns.  However, I was very surprised when we were on NS in March, that there were many tuxes and gowns.  It really was beautiful.  I haven't seen that in a long while.

• Like 4

Fairly recently, there was a thread where people were posting pics of what they wore on gala nights.  I'll try to find it for you.  There was a wide range and everyone looked good/appropriate.

edited to add link

Edited by VennDiagram
  • Like 1

We just cruised on the NS end of March and we did not see any dressy outfits in the MDR. Actually, I don’t remember seeing any jackets on the men, and definitely not ties or tuxes. Very casual in all ship venues including a party in the Neptune Lounge.  When we cruise on Cunard, hubby wears a jacket every night and a tux generally twice a week. I save my dressy outfits for then. I don’t bother bringing anything dressier than country club casual on HAL.

• Thanks 1

A European cruise will have  (probably) a good percentage of Europeans onboard. European passengers dress extremely well - and quite frankly - with no offence to anyone - because I am one as well - they make North Americans look like street urchins. 

Even when dressed down, Europeans dress far better than we do. Italians and Spaniards have a casual chic that just can’t be matched. Germans/Austrians/Swiss a sporty look that is unique to them. French as well. But on formal nights - the Europeans truly stand out. Reading comments on a lot of these boards - a pair of black jeans, because all I own is jeans is being overdressed seems to be the norm. And stretch pants - sorry ladies, but you are just open to mockery by Europeans. My Italian cousins are fond of saying that there are three things that do not lie - children, drunks, and stretch pants on woman. If you are offended my apologies, but Europeans are not fans of our slovenly North American habits.

If you have formal wear, by all means bring it and enjoy the experience.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 4/29/2022 at 8:02 PM, TTFN2013 said:

Thank you for the quick response from you Canada Rocks, also from Cruiser Bruce. I'm trying to get a feel for the vibe of this cruise line. My feeling is it's more adult and formal than other lines that cater to a young party crowd.

I do smart casual no matter what cruise line and no matter if it's a dress up night or not.  Usually, black pants and a nice top with some nice jewellery. Sometimes a matching jacket.   I've only been on HAL once so far but going again.  That time, my son-in-law was wearing a sports shirt and slacks and was asked to add a tie when we went into the main dining room.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 11:55 PM, Nang said:

Gala nights it’s chinos and casual leather shoes and button up shirt.

That's what I wear every evening in the MDR....Matters not if it's called Smart Casual, Gala or Dressy.....All good...Wear what you want as long as it meets or exceeds the dress code......which that does for us men every evening.

• Like 1

This is a weird question. One cruise you get a bunch of knuckle draggers who wear basketball shorts to the dining room, then the next cruise you get a whole bunch of people that want to dress up?

Edited by Wakepatrol

3 hours ago, Wakepatrol said:

This is a weird question. One cruise you get a bunch of knuckle draggers who wear basketball shorts to the dining room, then the next cruise you get a whole bunch of people that want to dress up?

Yes, that's entirely possible. In my experience, Caribbean cruises are less dressy that Mediterranean or Baltic cruises, with Bermuda somewhere between. I've heard that Alaska cruises are even less dressy. It doesn't seem to track closely with specific cruise lines (other than Cunard, P&O, and any others that have strict dress codes) and can be quite different in two cruises on the same cruise line.

I had a booking for a Bering Sea cruise this spring on Celebrity -- cancelled by the cruise line -- for which I started to worry that my clothes weren't good enough, to the point that I posted here on CC about it. I have some degree of neurosis about wearing easy-care clothes made with synthetic fibers, which are almost all that I own, but the replies said that everyone wears easy-care fabrics for cruises. I had in mind a hoity-toity crowd that would snub anyone who wore anything containing even a trace of polyester.

• Like 1

Personally, I will go with smart dinner attire for our July/August 28 day cruise.  Cruises are always part of a longer trip for us and that cruise is part of a 3.5 month trip.  We hope to travel with just a backpack (may have to add a small carryon suitcase, but going to try not to).  Our dressy wear on board will be slacks/collared shirt for hubby and a black dress that hits slightly above my knees for me.  

That is what I will do, you should take whatever you want and enjoy wearing it….doesn’t really matter whether it is formal or dressy as long as you enjoy your evening.

• Like 2

If we were limited in baggage allowance, we would pack lighter. Otherwise, dh takes the tux and I the sparkly, glitzy things I never get to wear at home... and far more shoes than any woman ever needs. I always pack too many shoes.

However, you do you and have a wonderful time. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2022 at 8:23 PM, TTFN2013 said:

I have gorgeous full length formal dresses that hang in the closet and are rarely worn.  I'd like to dress up for gala night, however formal wear is a pain to pack. I could pack lighter if all that is needed is smart dinner attire. 

This is our first time cruising with Holland America. We're leaving out of Barcelona and doing northern Europe.  Can anyone answer, "How dressy is dressy?", on the Holland America New Statendam? 

Things have changed quite a bit over the last 20+ years my wife and I have been cruising. It also depends on the brand of ship as well. Back in the early to mid 2000's, we always dressed up to the max for formal nights. I always wore a tux and the wife a gown. As the years have passed, things have really gotten relaxed onboard most cruise lines. My recommendation would be to dress it up if you want to and as long as you have the capacity to bring your items in your luggage allowance! We are doing a 28day Scandinavian and Voyage of the Vikings cruise in early July, and I will wear a sport coat and tie for formal nights. 

Dress as YOU want @MTemple212. I too have a closet of formal dresses and I take them on cruises - especially European ones. I find they're easy to pack (sometimes less room than a pair of jeans!) and hanging them upon arrival, they're ready to go! I believe everyone goes with their own preferences and everyone accepts each other's choices. 

• Like 1