The Daily for Tuesday 05/03/2022

richwmn

Good Morning from a warm and overcast day at the beach

Not sure what the weather is going to do today but it really does not matter.

Happy Teachers Day to all our teachers. 4 of my nieces are teachers from kindergarten to high school. Not in the same school or state.

I dont have any rugs here except for one under the dining room table so no lumps.

We will be visiting Port Artur this fall. HAL actually has an accessible excursion there so we are on it! Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for the wonderful pictures. Looks like we will be able to get DD around OK.

Bought gift cards yesterday and applied them to my balance. It was a good deal and after a few missteps, worked fine. Going to buy more tomorrow, have a big balance. LOL

Graham @grapau27 Your garden is beautiful. No wonder you enjoy it so much.

Nothing exciting here today. Rest of the week is busy so may just relax.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We don't have a garden in which to meditate, but we do have a nice back yard (when the glaciers have receded) where we spend many hours enjoying the sunshine and birds.   There's a lumpy rug in one of the bedrooms, but that means it needs replacing.  I've slept with a teacher for 45 years, so know how much of themselves they put into their jobs, and the dedication they have to their students.

Interesting quote, I'll pass on the drink of the day, would like to try the wine, and haven't been to Tasmania - but that doesn't mean I'll never get there.

It's always nice when we can wake up to temperatures that are + rather than -.  Yesterday was bright and sunny and today looks like a repeat with a predicted high of +19C (66F), which will be lovely.  Unfortunately the energy level is a little low, so I didn't get as much accomplished on clearing the deck as I had hoped.  It seems both DH and I have brought the "family cold" home with us from Calgary.  It's hard to escape it when the littlest one has a cold and needs cuddling and comforting.  We both tested and it isn't Covid, for which we are grateful, but it's a nasty cold with a cough that we're both suffering through for a little while.  

I like today's menu suggestion, but am going to put it aside, as I know I have a chicken carcass in the freezer that is going to be turned into good old fashioned chicken soup.  I'll make a big pot of it so that if neither of us feels like making anything, we can just heat a bowl of it and there's dinner - or lunch - or even breakfast in DH's case.    So it's looking like chicken soup will be on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

775801234_TeachersDay.webp.5d9b8065bd742862e3430803c63d014d.webp

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for @kazu as she deals with the passing of her dear Jose, and also for @cat shepard on the loss of her cousin.  Extra also for the people of Ukraine and all they're having to endure.  We'll clink our glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, get your boosters, wear your masks when you need to, and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 31

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We first visited Port Arthur on Dec. 9, 2013 on the Diamond Princess.  The second time was Nov. 8, 2017 on the Sun Princess.  Both times we tendered over and visited the site of a 19th century convict settlement.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLC-8FPrPX--dhQXD1U9Fvc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513605612

All of the buildings are open for you to explore.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJEe01T-jkSzxo5qZ82Rek0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513613454

This is what one of the cells looked like.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ0ugVmaE_O4i4phAueOFfa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1651580601

The guard tower00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKimX2qMqIWoRCSaOdzI-45?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513613542

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIev6Ru2chsZv6KemuOOe2B?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513613543

In the distance a church which I'll show you photos of00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJlMhQwOqTEUqfLHhSzkl9I?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513613574

Next we saw a separate prison for the insane called the Asylum.  It was later used as a town hall. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLoD2CF6BEM7SOXrJ_gzfyY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513613723

A cell for an inmate.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLxp-ZWbXFOu3dKWcZAucjH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513613696

A chapel for them.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKXHpnXD03HonaIa0fGsT9M?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513613709

We headed towards the church and an extensive garden area.  I loved the two columns here near the entrance to the gardens.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-mPMLoDHFAPHjZjeYMC4B?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513613759

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJmaK6tjS-UbUgxA6WGKE6H?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388705820

The old Convict Church ruins.  It was built by the convicts in 1836.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLN43cEcbA0TrED_Xp9uAsh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513613868

It was devastated by fire in 1884 so all that stands is the stone outer walls.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIRYI_P-GWE1uYdNekYpOQV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1651581459

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJskF1ZLgsi-R_zXMAkFEwJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1651581517

walking through the nearby gardens00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKF0pO0SoS1p_wnhcysyrWW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1651581574

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_y8jNNz9IIevwujg5Kccl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513613999

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI0HEMJTSjj3Hor9MqWNVh2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513614039

I have photos of dozens of different flowers, too many to post here.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIySElxafS0sbaInWdnb5Q-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513614268

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJZ6Lf0VgLw8ZGK3o-NgIoE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513614241

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ4rCSZMvCBb-FCuHc0EPur?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388705915

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLqpsERYzoZJHs-w4neMiMf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1651582081

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_HG9_0RkDh0UVgmpnU_eS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388705920

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLbgO7uV1dPYYQZVfY5lHPU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388705854

As we left in 2017 we passed by the Memorial Garden, built to commemorate the victims of the Port Arthur mass shooting in 1996.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJaSypAs7K3Oks0GLR6ufJp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513614300

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJjR37uBNL1o8UkIyB3z-uj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1651581957

I could post photos all day on Port Arthur, my favorite stop in Tasmania.

Amazing photos.

Thank you for posting them Sandi.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I have been a teacher for 33 years.  I taught middle and high school English for first 11 years; now I am the School to Career Coordinator. I teach some career readiness classes and supervise the students doing work experience and internships.  I few of my favorite memes.EF91E5F0-1A6B-4DDE-B17C-191412E6AA03.jpeg.c91a6088f9d2eda6785715b08968813f.jpeg

2BB9DB68-16BC-4256-9B8E-4B4B5A6492F8.jpeg.8070d9da243560f6ba540f993fad846c.jpeg

E14C58B4-80A0-4B5A-87F0-D8C1EAC4349C.thumb.jpeg.4ddfdf307c94b5729c39f5a7c53441fe.jpeg

6269E782-A116-43B1-B868-57927EE98B27.jpeg.e1685c99944b65a1c3c4c8076f1bf892.jpeg

83F65FCA-0011-444C-9145-B5E89EFFB29B.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

If I had a garden I could meditate in it. No to lumpy rugs. A big salute to teachers; my mother was one.

Good quote.

The meal looks interesting. I'll pass on the drink, but take the wine.

I stopped at Tasmania on my first HAL cruise Auckland to Sydney in 2006. But we were at the Port of Burnie. 

It's cloudy here, with rain due this afternoon and possibly bad storms/wind/tornado warnings this evening. I did a quick run to pick up a few groceries. My car is making a funny noise, sigh. Tire pressure is ok. It's like I'm driving over a road with ridges; thump, thump, thump. The noise stops when the car stops. My dealer is a ways away (about 32 miles), and I don't want to drive it there. They used to do pickups, but I'm not sure they still do, since the pandemic. I may have to find some place local.

@kazu @cat shepard Continued prayers for peace for you both.

@dfish Enjoy the quilting retreat. Our voting here isn't until May 17th; and the TV commercials are awful - so much nastiness!

@smitty34877 Continued prayers for Tana and I hope the pulmonologist has something helpful to say. 

@StLouisCruisers Haha, being a mystery fan I first thought of a body under the rug! Thanks for the pictures.

@baltic17 Have a great cruise!

@ger_77 I hope you and DH feel better soon. Just take it easy for now.

Prayers for the Care List and Ukraine and its people and helpers. A toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Hello dailyites.  I was just speaking with Jacqui (Kazu) and she has given me the okay to post a link to José's obituary.  The funeral home will be live-streaming the service on Thursday morning.  There is a link on their website if you would like to be with Jacqui virtually.  She asked me to let you all know that she will be back with you in good time.  As a good friend of Jacqui and José, I would like to thank all of you for continued support of her during this sad time, I know that she truly appreciates all of you on this thread.https://kennebecasisfh.com/tribute/details/28422/Jos-Ledezma/obituary.html#tribute-start

Thank you.  Georgina

• Like 15
  • Thanks 32

Aloha!  We spent yesterday enjoying the views while getting a little sun and reading. We had a nice dinner of chicken kabobs that we cooked on the available grills that are meticulously maintained.

We attended the sales pitch which was informative but non pressured to buy more. Glad we bought here when we did as this is one of the few time shares that Marriott will buy back our deeded weeks. Was shocking to hear that if non owner or Marriott Vacation Club member an ocean view room would be over a $1:000 dollars a day!

So time for a coffee and to finish packing so we can move to a different villa today.

Have a great day everyone. Some photos of our views yesterday.

image.thumb.jpeg.b731d8b71cf62d282dfdd71f88f9db1e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.570c63980716aa4da86506023e0c17b7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.94d4038073f161ec7169a38fb4637b66.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ecea344915a257882c46054d5e671727.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b0d8fb58bee677ac8d27e48f72d9c888.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone and Happy Tuesday!  Interesting collection of days today. I’ll celebrate but no one wants a lumpy rug. 

I wonder when the Oosterdam will make the move to Trieste for her first cruise with passengers embarking on the 8th. Gosh, that’s just Sunday so I’m thinking soon.  We embark on June 1st and I’m glad that there will be several cruises prior to ours. 

We made a last minute decision to stay 2 extra days in Venice. We were staying 4 days but since we are losing a day in Venice due to the port change we just felt we didn’t have enough time for our favorite place.  The first hurdle was making sure we could have the same hotel room for the 2 days, it’s a Junior suite with a terrace. Craig was able to contact them and get that added so the next step was getting our flights changed. That meant calling FE. I didn’t want to do it myself online because of all the previous issues I had had. So I spent 3 1/2 hours yesterday doing that, 3 hours waiting on hold. But I got it done and am happy with the flights, times and cities, which are actually a bit better now. 

Prayers for all on the Care List and extra prayers for Jacqui @kazu as she prepares for Jose’s services. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 26

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

It's cloudy here, with rain due this afternoon and possibly bad storms/wind/tornado warnings this evening. I did a quick run to pick up a few groceries. My car is making a funny noise, sigh. Tire pressure is ok. It's like I'm driving over a road with ridges; thump, thump, thump. The noise stops when the car stops. My dealer is a ways away (about 32 miles), and I don't want to drive it there. They used to do pickups, but I'm not sure they still do, since the pandemic. I may have to find some place local.

@kazu @cat shepard Continued prayers for peace for you both.

@dfish Enjoy the quilting retreat. Our voting here isn't until May 17th; and the TV commercials are awful - so much nastiness!

@smitty34877 Continued prayers for Tana and I hope the pulmonologist has something helpful to say. 

@StLouisCruisers Haha, being a mystery fan I first thought of a body under the rug! Thanks for the pictures.

@baltic17 Have a great cruise!

@ger_77 I hope you and DH feel better soon. Just take it easy for now.

Prayers for the Care List and Ukraine and its people and helpers. A toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Vanessa, I'd be worried if I heard that thumping noise too.  Wonder what that is?  DH got home in time for lunch from the car dealer.  He says they tell him things are really bad in the car business.  They have sales of cars all backed up with no deliveries happening.  People have ordered 60 SUV's like mine and about 40 of a different model SUV, and are all waiting and waiting.  When he asked them if it was still the chip shortage, they said no, the manufacturers can't get anything anymore.  Imagine if they can't get tires or engines, things come to a standstill.  This country is in big trouble. 🥺  I'd better put our economy on my prayer list! 

• Like 18

1 hour ago, gigianne said:

Hello dailyites.  I was just speaking with Jacqui (Kazu) and she has given me the okay to post a link to José's obituary.  The funeral home will be live-streaming the service on Thursday morning.  There is a link on their website if you would like to be with Jacqui virtually.  She asked me to let you all know that she will be back with you in good time.  As a good friend of Jacqui and José, I would like to thank all of you for continued support of her during this sad time, I know that she truly appreciates all of you on this thread.https://kennebecasisfh.com/tribute/details/28422/Jos-Ledezma/obituary.html#tribute-start

Thank you.  Georgina

Thank you so much!  Many of us would like to support Jacqui in any way possible.🙏

I hope duplicate posts don't show up later.  I posted in reply to Vanessa and Georgina and they didn't show up.  Gremlins are at work!

• Like 17

Good morning all!

The weather doesn't look too good for meditating in the garden today, but maybe later this afternoon.  We're having a steady drizzle this morning and up to 55 F today.  Lumpy rug....hmm.  Will celebrate teachers though, we have 4 in our family.  

Will pass on the meal, drink and wine, but am enjoying the photos of Port Arthur (thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers!) as we will get there for the first time on the Grand Australia.

I think we'll make a trip to Costco today, other than that just general housework.  The A/C guys were here yesterday for 8-9 hours, so I didn't get much done.  I'm SO glad I looked outside where they put the A/C because even though they'd been asked to be very careful around my Azalea, the poor thing was half buried under heavy mud.  It will be fine, but wouldn't be if I hadn't caught it in time.  😕

• Like 22

1 hour ago, gigianne said:

Thank you.  Georgina

Thank you Georgina for your thoughtfulness

Jane

• Like 18

2 hours ago, gigianne said:

Thank you.  Georgina

Thank you for getting Jacqui's permission. I know all of us here really care about J

acqui, but we should remember that doing a search about a funeral or anything personal and posting it here without the permission of the person involved is not OK. It is a violation of privacy.

• Like 13

Good Morning Everyone!

What a beautiful sunny day we have today.  It was gray and wet yesterday so this is nice.  It had rained so much Saturday that the Grands have not mowed the yard............I think it will be a hay field if they wait until the weekend.  Maybe one of them can get it done after school (the boys get to alternate who mows for some spending money!)

The menu looks interesting but when I saw @GTVCRUISER "Taco Tuesday" meme I think that will be a win............I have some cooked ground beef in the freezer that needs used.

Love teacher appreciation day.  My oldest is a middle school teacher, not sure how she does it sometimes, if it was me they were probably be in detention!  or maybe I would be in detention!  The PTO decorated the teachers doors and got a lunch brought in for the teachers!

Hubby and I have committed to a Panama Canal cruise in 2023, looking at dates, itineraries now, started a spread sheet to see what I can come up with.  It is fun to start planning again!

Denise

• Like 19

The Retirement Community where I live is known for its Quarterly Flea Market.  The last one was held in February 2020.  Today we started to set-up for the First Post-Pandemic Sale which will take place at the end of this week.  We are all experiencing mixed emotions.  We are excited to get life back to normal.  We are sad because so many of the regulars have passed away or moved to assisted living since the last sale.

How our lives have changed in the past two years!

Thank you, Daily Posters.  I cannot tell you how much your posts have meant to me.

• Like 23

50 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Thank you for getting Jacqui's permission. I know all of us here really care about J

acqui, but we should remember that doing a search about a funeral or anything personal and posting it here without the permission of the person involved is not OK. It is a violation of privacy.

49 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

I really dont think this should have been posted here without Jacqui's permission which she did give to someone later.

I understand your viewpoint Carol.  However, I have always been under the  impression that obituaries are public records.  Many of the friends and family members of the deceased read the obituary to gain information on the visitation, memorial services, or burial information.  I would have no reason to read just any person's obituary, but if it is someone I care about, or the loved one of a friend or neighbor, I would feel that reading their obituary would not be an invasion of privacy.  Most obituaries tell the story of the person's life and all those who will mourn them.  But this is just my opinion.  There's no law saying we all have to feel the exact same way.  

It's very nice that the service will be live streamed so those far away can "attend".  But just remember the difference in time zones if anyone here wants to watch it.   New Brunswick is an hour earlier than the Eastern time zone.  Atlantic time zone I believe it's called.

• Like 24

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I understand your viewpoint Carol.  However, I have always been under the  impression that obituaries are public records.  Many of the friends and family members of the deceased read the obituary to gain information on the visitation, memorial services, or burial information.  I would have no reason to read just any person's obituary, but if it is someone I care about, or the loved one of a friend or neighbor, I would feel that reading their obituary would not be an invasion of privacy.  Most obituaries tell the story of the person's life and all those who will mourn them.  But this is just my opinion.  There's no law saying we all have to feel the exact same way.  

It's very nice that the service will be live streamed so those far away can "attend".  But just remember the difference in time zones if anyone here wants to watch it.   New Brunswick is an hour earlier than the Eastern time zone.  Atlantic time zone I believe it's called.

I think what Carol is referring to is tying the online person to their real world identity. CC is set up so we don’t share that publicly. Many members don’t share their identity. Some do, in detail.  CC leaves it up to the individual as to what they share about themselves.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I think what Carol is referring to is tying the online person to their real world identity. CC is set up so we don’t share that publicly. Many members don’t share their identity. Some do, in detail.  CC leaves it up to the individual as to what they share about themselves.

I do understand what you're saying about CC privacy.  Regulars on the Daily somehow feel a lot closer than those on the usual threads.  At any rate, Jacqui did give permission today so @1ANGELCATshould not feel bad about looking up Jose's obituary.  

• Like 17