Best things in Port Halifax, NS, Canada?

BillHoo

Aside from the tours set up by the cruise line, what else is good in Halifax, NS?

Best sites?

Best restaurants?

Best things to do?

Best things to eat?

Has anyone tried dimsum at the local chinese restaurant?

Get a Beavertail at the store by the waterfront?

Fishing mackerel from the wharf?

Best fried seafood?

Things to get at the local grocery that you can't get in the U.S.?

Best french pastry?

Any other fun stuff?

6 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Halifax Citadel  

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/ns/halifax

That sounds like fun!  I've been to the Fort at Old San Juan in Puerto Rico and found it fascinating - the tunnels underneath the fort made me think I was in the video game DOOM.

Anyone been to the Titanic Museum?  My wife doesn't want to go.  She thinks it's too sad for a vacay tour.

Local chiming in here

Has anyone tried dimsum at the local Chinese restaurant? I haven't,sorry. If you want a local favorite dish besides seafood,get a Donair.

Get a Beavertail at the store by the waterfront? Yes,very tasty.

Fishing mackerel from the wharf? You can but I wouldn't eat any fish from the harbour 😉

Best fried seafood? The best is a matter of opinion. The best 2 in my opinion are across the harbour at John's Lunch or Pleasant Street Diner in Dartmouth.

Things to get at the local grocery that you can't get in the U.S.? Ketchup chips,All dressed Chips.I am sure there are candies and chocolates as well. Just wander the Atlantic Superstore by the pier and see what you can that you don't have home.

Best french pastry? Can't answer that.

Any other fun stuff? Walking the waterfront if a nice day and the city as well as it's an older city and lots of old architecture, Maritime Museum, Peggy's Cove ,and The Harbour Hopper. If your into wine,a tour to the Grand Pre area in the Valley.Keith's brewery tour is cool. I personally don't care to drink Keith's beer though. lol Fairview cemetery has Titanic victims buried there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Take a cab up to the Citadel.  Take one of the early guided tours and stay until the noon firing of the cannon.  Walk down the hill to Alexander Keith's and do the brewery tour.  Once you enter the tour, you are back in time with actors in period clothing.  It ends in their pub with music and two free beers.  Continue to the boardwalk for some shopping or a stop at the Maritime Museum.  Check out the tugboat from Thomas the Tank Engine if it is still docked there.  Continue down the boardwalk back to the ship either grazing at various little takeout places or stop at a restaurant.  We have docked at multiple docks there, so depending on where you are, there are some cool things to buy at the market there too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Theodore Too. September 2019. Hope to see him again this coming September. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ddac464fa2ef4fa243db31cbfb3b19ca.jpeg

I remember that tug!!  So cute...love the Canadian sense of humor!!  

Did you see the Falcon guy wandering around the boardwalk.  Sooo fascinating.  They hire him and his Falcon to keep the Pigeons away.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Theodore Too. September 2019. Hope to see him again this coming September. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ddac464fa2ef4fa243db31cbfb3b19ca.jpeg

Sadly he is no longer in Halifax. He was sold to a new owner and is now in Hamilton Ontario.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

I remember that tug!!  So cute...love the Canadian sense of humor!!  

Did you see the Falcon guy wandering around the boardwalk.  Sooo fascinating.  They hire him and his Falcon to keep the Pigeons away.  

I didn't. I'll look for him this September. 👀

2 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Things to get at the local grocery that you can't get in the U.S.?

Americans have Kraft Macaroni and Cheese but we have KD. Yes, that's what's on the box, a big KD.

Also, Swiss Chalet Dipping Sauce. Basically a chicken gravy but you have to taste it!

Another is Kinder Surprise, it's a chocolate egg with a toy inside. (But you might get arrested bringing them back to the U.S. as they were banned some years ago in the U.S.) So eat them all before you cross back into the States!

And besides ketchup chips and all dressed chips I don't think you have Dill flavoured potato chips in the States.  

I'm getting hungry!!

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Janet524 said:

There is an excellent maritime museum.  You can walk to it from the pier.  Follow the river walk.  There are several good restaurants along the way.

And IF on the way back you would like a much shorter walk, go through the town...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NSnewcruiser said:

Sadly he is no longer in Halifax. He was sold to a new owner and is now in Hamilton Ontario.

Thanks, I thought I had read something about that.  We have seen him many times.  Thomas the Tank engine was one of my son's favorite shows as a kid.

Can the Northern lights be seen from there?

Probably going to miss it if it does.  Ship comes in at around 7AM and leaves around 6PM.  Maybe wake up at 4:30 AM to glimpse something?

Just now, davekathy said:

We have LAY'S Dill Pickle flavored potato ships. 

Oh good. I was always concerned that my American cousins were being deprived of their Dill potato chips. One less thing to worry aboot now. 

• Haha 5

The Maritime museum has exhibits from the Titanic, as well you can visit the cemetery where many were buried if you choose to take a tour.  The museum is downtown.

Town is famous for seafood: Lobster and Scallops are favourites.  It's been a few years since I was there but the best restaurants for fishy dishes were Salty's, McElvies (in an old fire hall) and the 5 Fisherman.  All downtown area.  All have food alternates for those not inclined.

Halifax is an old city, the historic properties area with warehouses dating back to late 1700's, early 1800's is now a nice shopping area right on the water.   The City hall is of interest historically and is near the 5 Fisherman restaurant.  It is in an enclosed square with the oldest continuously serving protestant church in North America.  Worth seeing.  

The British fort, as previously mentioned, the Citadel, is a traditional star fort and worth touring.  It is uphill though and if you are mobility challenged, perhaps take a cab up from the downtown area.  Not quite San Francisco but a good stairmaster.   It is centrally located and will be visible as you sail in/out.

Main fancy shopping drag is 'Spring Garden Road' which also includes the traditional public park of English style referred to as the "public gardens".  The gardens are very nice but, as a gardener,  I would say not unusal.

Pier 21 where the cruise ships park is a museum to this area's claim to fame as an entry point for new Canadian citizens and, in season, there is a lovely craft/farmers market next door.

The art gallery has a major area dedicated to Maude Lewis, a famous naive painter from the province.  It includes her small home which she fully painted and is worth seeing.

The whole Martime area of Canada has a long fishing tradition and in winter folks crafted to make things for themselves or to sell.  Consequently you will see some lovely crafts of all sorts to buy.

Bring your rain gear, it can be very wet depending on season.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Can the Northern lights be seen from there?

Probably going to miss it if it does.  Ship comes in at around 7AM and leaves around 6PM.  Maybe wake up at 4:30 AM to glimpse something?

Highly unlikely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ccotting said:

Pier 21 where the cruise ships park is a museum to this area's claim to fame as an entry point for new Canadian citizens and, in season, there is a lovely craft/farmers market next door.

2 hours ago, ccotting said:

That market has moved to the Cunard Center and called Halifax Seaport Farmers' Market.It's to the right as you exit the terminal and is a very short walk.

• Like 1