Unethical Princess Vacation Planner?

jimmieg

Had an interesting experience today. Had a difficult time accessing fares on a recent targeted Princess mailer, so I called the phone # referenced to ask.  Was asked who my VP planner was - had no idea, so they told me I was assigned to a particular VP (who knew?) and he was in and I could leave a message.

He returned my call, accessed a promo code and we discussed pricing on a particular CAT on a "potential" 14 day cruise.  He offered cabin choices and I said I was not ready to book but would think it over. He said he would email me pricing and could he call me tomorrow to see if I'd made a decision. Sure, I said.

Then I received the CONFIRMED email I you get after booking and depositing a cruise.  Two FCD's deducted used to deposit from my account.  It was not a quote or a "courtesy hold."

Is he inept, unethical or desperate?  Is this the typical VP behavior for those of you that use them? I see it as inexcusable.

Thoughts?

BTW his price I found after about two minutes online was about 12% higher than other offer.🤔

• Like 1

It's happened to us.  No worries. Call back in tomorrow AM and the booking will be deleted and your FCDs restored. Since his/her name is attached to the booking, unlikely that it's an attempt to wrong you. The easiest explanation is a simple mistake. I wouldn't make more of it than that.

Since then, we got a CVP we really like. Sorry I can't give you his name here.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

They do it to hold a place for you while you make a decision and protect the price and cabin. 

Ha! Thanks for taking the time to respond.

To be clear, plenty of cabins. Price wasn't expiring (and wasn't a price that anyone would want protected. I was clear, I was not ready to book. He was clear he would call me tomorrow at 4:30 to see what I wanted to do. 

Oh, well.  Made it to 39 Princess cruises without a PVP. Guess there's a reason to avoid.

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

It's happened to us.  No worries. Call back in tomorrow AM and the booking will be deleted and your FCDs restored. Since his/her name is attached to the booking, unlikely that it's an attempt to wrong you. The easiest explanation is a simple mistake. I wouldn't make more of it than that.

Since then, we got a CVP we really like. Sorry I can't give you his name here.

Thanks!  Didn't think he was trying to wrong me and I know I can cancel.  But think he was probably desperate to make a sale, and has left a bad impression. Just wonder who's training, or not training, these folks. A good agent, company rep or independent, will get repeat business with honest service.

• Like 2

Just now, cruzsnooze said:

They do it to hold a place for you while you make a decision and protect the price and cabin. 

Yes this has happened many times.   They put it on hold and if you don't call back it drops off.    Easier then having to look for another cabin you like.   

49 minutes ago, waltd said:

Yes this has happened many times.   They put it on hold and if you don't call back it drops off.    Easier then having to look for another cabin you like.   

Except it does not seem like he but it on hold as FCDs were applied. A hold does not require a deposit.

It could be that the CVP is new and not fully trained and does not understand how to put a simple 3 day hold on a potential booking at a particular fare schedule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

Except it does not seem like he but it on hold as FCDs were applied. A hold does not require a deposit.

Correct.

There was no reason to apply the FCDs to the hold.

However, the reason to do the hold (essentially a booking with no deposit) is to protect the price. Even if there is no "sale" that is about to end, the booking price can change daily. (I have one cruise where a category I have been watching went up $100/person yesterday. Other categories did not change.)

• Like 2

Annoying for you but funny in that some people can’t get their PVP to respond and yours was TOO responsive. lol My guess is that he’s eager, new, and thought he was doing the right thing.  I wouldn’t attach any devious plot to it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

8 hours ago, waltd said:

The PVP could have placed the res as a HOLD and not applied any deposit.  Had the OP not owned any FCD's in the Bank of Princess, the PVP would not have been able to apply funds without asking OP for a credit card. 

7 hours ago, brisalta said:

It could be that the CVP is new and not fully trained and does not understand how to put a simple 3 day hold on a potential booking at a particular fare schedule.

Yes, but IMO it was most likely a deliberate move by the PVP as he had to check for the FCD's and actually apply them. 

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Correct.

There was no reason to apply the FCDs to the hold.

However, the reason to do the hold (essentially a booking with no deposit) is to protect the price. Even if there is no "sale" that is about to end, the booking price can change daily. (I have one cruise where a category I have been watching went up $100/person yesterday. Other categories did not change.)

Exactly.

• Like 3

I had Princess's PVP sending me three holdings - none with FCC applied, but each of them has a cabin assigned.

I thought that was a great way when we couldn't decide on the trip and was assessing our options

Michael

• Like 1

Would like to believe the individual was not being "unethical", sounds like he was more likely just "inept" than anything else.  Have had good PVP's and bad PVP's as in responsive and non-responsive over the years with Princess but never had one apply FCD's when just holding a cabin/booking for me.  As others have said I would be willing to bet this individual is probably new or newer and as with so many of the people working for Princess now just not trained very well or experienced enough yet.  It really is sad when the customer knows more than the agent.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BabySarge said:

Would like to believe the individual was not being "unethical", sounds like he was more likely just "inept" than anything else.  Have had good PVP's and bad PVP's as in responsive and non-responsive over the years with Princess but never had one apply FCD's when just holding a cabin/booking for me.  As others have said I would be willing to bet this individual is probably new or newer and as with so many of the people working for Princess now just not trained very well or experienced enough yet.  It really is sad when the customer knows more than the agent.

The customer knowing more than the agent unfortunately says a lot about the training, or more accurately the lack of adequate training new employees receive.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, BabySarge said:

It really is sad when the customer knows more than the agent.

and sometimes it works to the benefit of the customer... if the customer knows what they want🤑😈

that's why, even with a PVP, I may call on a Saturday morning and see what happens

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jimmieg said:

Had an interesting experience today. Had a difficult time accessing fares on a recent targeted Princess mailer, so I called the phone # referenced to ask.  Was asked who my VP planner was - had no idea, so they told me I was assigned to a particular VP (who knew?) and he was in and I could leave a message.

He returned my call, accessed a promo code and we discussed pricing on a particular CAT on a "potential" 14 day cruise.  He offered cabin choices and I said I was not ready to book but would think it over. He said he would email me pricing and could he call me tomorrow to see if I'd made a decision. Sure, I said.

Then I received the CONFIRMED email I you get after booking and depositing a cruise.  Two FCD's deducted used to deposit from my account.  It was not a quote or a "courtesy hold."

Is he inept, unethical or desperate?  Is this the typical VP behavior for those of you that use them? I see it as inexcusable.

Thoughts?

BTW his price I found after about two minutes online was about 12% higher than other offer.🤔

I would wait and see if he calls back.  Then you will know if his intensions were good and you can have him cancel and return your FCC's.

If he doesn't call back today, call and have whoever answers cancel for you.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

I would wait and see if he calls back.  Then you will know if his intensions were good and you can have him cancel and return your FCC's.

If he doesn't call back today, call and have whoever answers cancel for you.

Thanks! That's the plan.  

• Like 2

So...

First, thanks for those that replied to my question.

For those interested...

The VP called back and I told him I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but was baffled how I ask for a quote and ended up with a full-blown booking, a cabin assignment and (today) a welcome letter from Jan reminding me flights were available and my excursions were incomplete. Ha!

Anyway, said VP became defensive, said he "gave me exactly what I asked for" and 

1. "I have to make a booking to give a quote. It's the only way."

2. The FCD's "jumped on there.

3. When ask if we could go ahead and salvage the booking (🫣), I told him there were significantly better fares were available. He disputed there were better fares available elsewhere, anyway. "Maybe if I take off PPlus."

So, didn't end well. Full disclosure: I did tell him I was P.O.'d with what happened and was not interested in arguing.

Inept, for sure. Unethical? You can decide. Certainly not focused on customer development. Scratching my head as to how the sales side can be such a different culture from the shipboard side at Princess.

I guess there's no coffee for him today.

"Coffee's for closers" (Glengarry Glen Ross)😉 

Note: YMMV. If you have a good one, great!

Edited by jimmieg
Clarity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, jimmieg said:

So...

First, thanks for those that replied to my question.

For those interested...

The VP called back and I told him I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but was baffled how I ask for a quote and ended up with a full-blown booking, a cabin assignment and (today) a welcome letter from Jan reminding me flights were available and my excursions were incomplete. Ha!

Anyway, said VP became defensive, said he "gave me exactly what I asked for" and 

3. When ask if we could go ahead and salvage the booking (🫣), I told him there were significantly better fares were available. He disputed there were better fares available elsewhere, anyway. "Maybe if I take off PPlus."

So, didn't end well. Full disclosure: I did tell him I was P.O.'d with what happened and was not interested in arguing.

Inept, for sure. Unethical? You can decide. Certainly not focused on customer development. Scratching my head as to how the sales side can be such a different culture from the shipboard side at Princess.

I guess there's no coffee for him today.

"Coffee's for closers" (Glengarry Glen Ross)😉 

Note: YMMV. If you have a good one, great!

There's always better fares out there than booking directly with princess, which is what a PVP is.  

I always get multiple quotes from multiple agencies, mostly online, because I can do mock bookings from my computer and compare them.  

I do have a Sept cruise booked with a PVP, because he matched the deal I was getting from an online TA, but that's rare.   

Your PVP sounds incompetent, unreliable and untruthful if not completely asinine, condescending and opportunistic.  Get a new one!

• Like 4

Just now, justafem said:

There's always better fares out there than booking directly with princess, which is what a PVP is.  

I always get multiple quotes from multiple agencies, mostly online, because I can do mock bookings from my computer and compare them.  

I do have a Sept cruise booked with a PVP, because he matched the deal I was getting from an online TA, but that's rare.   

Your PVP sounds incompetent, unreliable and untruthful if not completely asinine, condescending and opportunistic.  Get a new one!

Actually, I called to ask a question about a targeted mailing offer and was told I needed to speak with this guy, as he was my "assigned" PVP.  This was the first time I'd ever heard of him, or new I had an assigned PVP. I do not deal with PVP's.

And... I book as you do. And will continue to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmieg said:

So...

First, thanks...The VP called back and I told him I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt...

Thanks for getting back to us. I was suprised he called you back. It means he knew there was a problem. I could understand if the software they use is set up the way he describes. But then, it would happen all the time and it doesn't. Bottom line is the customer is always right, even when they're wrong.

I like using CVPs even if there's a bottle of wine or promotional offered. I've looked at online prices. They're always exactly what Princess charges. Guess I'm not looking at the right TAs.

I think the software alerts the booking agent that you have a FCD. He can then say yes or not. 

If he was new, he probably didn't pay attention. And then was defensive as you knew more than he did.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Thanks for getting back to us. I was suprised he called you back. It means he knew there was a problem. I could understand if the software they use is set up the way he describes. But then, it would happen all the time and it doesn't. Bottom line is the customer is always right, even when they're wrong.

I like using CVPs even if there's a bottle of wine or promotional offered. I've looked at online prices. They're always exactly what Princess charges. Guess I'm not looking at the right TAs.

You're welcome.  In this case the online agency was $889 net difference (cheaper) than the PVP on an identical $6580 cruise. Not the world, but worth the effort.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

Years ago I read here on Cruise Critic that TAs had an agreement with Princess not to advertise their lower prices; you had to call or email to get a quote. I don't know if that was and is still true but I've used the same on-line TA for more than a decade and I have always received a discount (which I greatly prefer over OBCs) - anywhere between 5% and 12% and usually 8% or 9% on Princess cruises.  So if you haven't done so before, when researching prices for your next Princess cruise, get quotes directly from at least a few TAs before booking.

• Like 4

“The FCC just jumped on the booking”

while it sounds outlandish 

That is EXACTLY what happened to me

i was trying to put a 3 day courtesy hold on a cruise on my home computer at 

and somehow, with no human intervention, it applied my free floating FCC as a deposit when i only wanted a hold

FCC easily removed when called the next day

• Like 1