The Daily for Wednesday 05/11/2022

richwmn

Good morning and thanks all!  A special salute to school nurses and the wonderful secretaries I have worked with.   Our schools only had weekly visits from the nurses,  sadly.  We’ve enjoyed Cornwall on several visits, just not Falmouth. 
@Cruzin Terri sorry you were unable to go in the church as it has a wonderful Michelangelo but the Bernini elephant is lovely and just around the corner from the Pantheon.   We always stay walking distance in this area so no worries about taxis.  But always use a marked taxi stand anywhere in Rome.   
@smitty34877 sending prayers for strength for Tana and your family.  
@StLouisCruisers sorry to hear of  your loss.  Appreciate the photos.  
@kazusending you prayers for strength to deal with all these difficult tasks.  Glad you have help for the garden. 

@Cruising-along hope your friend is ok,  good idea to check with your doctor as the efficacy of the vaccines really wanes after a few months. 

a photo of the Bernini sculpture with the Pantheon in the background. 

23861E07-907B-49AE-9D80-0641958F6ACF.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 4

GOOD AFTERNOON EVERYONE.Today has started out lousy. First for the third week in a row, the garbage men did not take one of our pails. The board is fighting them because they say their contract says one pail per household so I went around, per our office request and took pictures of our neighbors’ many emptied pails. Finally, through so pressure from the board they came and took the pails. Then I waited on hold for 45 minutes to call the billing department of a rehab place Sam went to. They never billed our secondary insurance. Then several phone calls to make appointments for Sam where some people callled back and I’m still waiting for others. At noon, I had my breakfast. I’m not a happy camper today.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

3 hours ago, kplady said:

Good morning!!

I love that today is Eat What You Want - I'm going out to lunch with my DSIL for my birthday, so plan to eat all the goodies!  I've been celebrating all week - I brought goodies to work on Monday to start the celebration, then went out to dinner for an early family celebration (DS's schedules wouldn't work for going out today).  It's a BIG birthday, but I don't feel any different from the last decade!!

So glad to see some of our friends back - @marshhawkglad you enjoyed your vacation.  @kazuI know you have a lot on your plate right now, but the memes really brightened my day, along with your posting.  All who have issues are always in my prayers, with hopes for better days ahead.  Happy to celebrate with those on the Celebrations list.  Take care of yourselves everyone, this is the first place I go in the morning to visit with our Daily friends.

Enjoy,

Laura

Happy Birthday! May your new year be filled with laughter, love, great health & a cruise!

1C123222-2C97-4D27-B7F2-D2BFA61ED23D.jpeg.41d8fcef5a8549c70fb568eb34773f49.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I've never been to Falmouth, Cornwall, or to Falmouth, Jamaica. In fact, I've never been to Falmouth, Massachusetts, even though I lived in the Commonwealth for several years and a friend was a founder of the College Light Opera there. There are many other Falmouths that I've also not visited.

I would probably like the Vesper cocktail although I'm not sure that it contains enough Lillet to taste of much other than gin.

I'm having to buy new trousers (pants in the U.S., trews in Scotland), a size smaller, in some hurry because of the upcoming cruise. The pair I'm wearing today will be OK for shore excursions but aren't dressy enough for the evening. Actually, the cruise is on NCL, so they probably are dressy enough.

The original plan for the Greece cruise was to embark from Venice, then changed to Ravenna, then cancelled. When I rebooked, I chose an itinerary embarking from Athens. All of my bookings until the fall of 2023 were determined by credits for cancelled sailings.

• Like 27

Good morning or afternoon. We had a wonderful dinner out last night at a local Italian Restaurant. Today we drive up to the North shore to visit the lighthouse and will stop at Costco on the way back to purchase a few items we are getting short on.

We talked to our son and he has Covid so at this point just about our whole family has had a case of Covid. He’s doing fine other then being frustrated with self quarantine.

Time for some breakfast and getting ready for our day adventure.

Thanks for the Daily Rich.

• Like 28

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

What I want to eat is ice cream, but none in the house! A salute to receptionists and particularly school nurses (who are in short supply). It would be nice if the quote were the case.

I'll pass on the meal and drink. I've never had this type of wine, but it sounds good.

I've been to England, but not Falmouth. THanks for the pictures.

Another unusually nice day here. I'm supposed to be getting a plant in the mail, so I should get it in the ground today or tomorrow. I don't know what up with my teeth these days. I noticed that on a lower center incisor there's what looks like a delamination of enamel at the top. I felt it with my tongue a couple of days after the crown replacement. I don't recall any instruments against my teeth. So I have an appointment in 2 weeks. I don't know if there's some type of bonding that can be put on it; I hesitate to bite into things for fear of worsening the situation.

@St Pete Cruiser Thanks for the photos from Venice! I've never been there, but I hope to get there one day.

@kazu Just do what you can, at your own pace. 

@Overhead Fred Enjoy your time at the lake home.

@marshhawk Welcome home!

@smitty34877 Prayers for DD and Tana.

@dfish When I mow the lawn, I hit "other" for the activity on my Apple Watch.

@StLouisCruisers My condolences on the loss of your friend. Thanks for the photos of Falmouth.

@kplady HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 🎂

@HAL Sailer How nice that you and DH get to spend time with family! Good that you took your time getting there; that's a long drive.

@Cruzin Terri It sounds like you're finally having a nice time in Italy.

@Heartgrove I hope DSIL has a mild case, and that you and Sue stay well. 

@Cruising-along I hope your friend does well. It's scary, especially as people who are vaccinated and being careful seem to be getting Covid.

@Crazy For Cats Thanks for sharing the garden pictures.

@grapau27 Your dinner looks yummy.

@Vict0riann Lovely flowers.

@mamaofami So much bureaucracy to fight! It's so tiring.

@aliaschief Enjoy the trip to the lighthouse. I hope your DS is out of quarantine soon.

Prayers for the Care List, Ukraine and its people and helpers. A toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone, and on your guard.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 9

8 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I'm supposed to be getting a plant in the mail, so I should get it in the ground today or tomorrow.

I have plants to get in, with two more arriving today. A few of them are tender perennials, grown in this region as annuals, but the forecast indicates no freezes through the 25th. If there's any risk I'll put plastic bottles over them before I leave.

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites.  I am sore today, did a lot of walking yesterday.  In the afternoon we, with DS and his partner, went out to Butchart's.  Puppy Oskar is very good at posing for pictures.

IMG_0526.thumb.jpeg.83570756082f97e19cb93b170b1dcbba.jpeg

IMG_0489.thumb.jpeg.03c72e2f28dbf4d128528ecb3ed60b1e.jpeg

I was fascinated with the different "faces" in some of the tulips.

IMG_6952.thumb.JPG.bb5174085c25fe5fa1c4de9fbbb95b3c.JPG

IMG_6958.thumb.JPG.8963e3280a7bdf6387e8e82fa8e5f60a.JPG

IMG_6961.thumb.JPG.4b0b82ab16f22a4da97c219717c4be54.JPG

IMG_6963.thumb.JPG.2b640896b8ac3911cf39581fc27eed06.JPG

IMG_6981.thumb.JPG.4ca636aeebd27ca81d953376aae920d5.JPG

The place was just buzzing with bees, I was happy to see them all.  There has been news that many died over this past winter.

Many prayers today for Jacqui and Tana  and all who need them.

Oskar is cute Ann.

• Like 15

4 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

DSIL that lives with Sue and I contracted COVID this week. She has quarantined herself in her bedroom and just feeling lousy with a modest fever. All three of us are now wearing masks in the house plus avoiding being near each other. So far Sue and I have been okay. Sue did take a test that was negative yesterday as the two of them ran a few errands together last week.,  I have been suffering with allergies off and on (tree pollen which I never suffered with living in Chicago!) so difficult to tell. The important part is no fever. It may put a crimp on Sue's travel plans to visit her son in Ashland, WI this weekend, and also our visit to Chicago in a little over a week.

Today's port is scheduled on our British Isles cruise next May. Looking forward to the photos that will be posted.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Sorry to hear your DSIL has Covid Jack.

I hope Sue and yourself stay safe and clear of covid.

Graham.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, garlictown said:

😎Watched Noordam leave Cabo on Monday! 🙏Prayers to all in need and especially the Ukrainian people!

Katie

20220510_173052.jpg

Lovely photos Katie.

Nice location and you both look happy and relaxed.

Graham.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! Eat What You Want Day sounds good. I’ve lost 5 lbs in the past 6 days, so for once it’s a possibility. Debbie’s recipes sound good, as does anything with Green Goddess dressing!

Sorry I’ve missed the last couple of days. Covid kicked both of us a little harder than I realized. But, as mentioned, I’ve lost 5 lbs in 6 days, so every cloud has a silver lining! I was complaining about feeling sick in spite of being vaccinated, to my cousin. I forgot at the time that she had lived in New York during it’s brutal round with Covid in 2020.
Her response: So you caught Covid. Are you in the hospital? No? Are you on a ventilator? No? Is a nurse setting up a video call so your family can say goodbye? Also no? Then the vaccine worked and did its job. I needed to hear that.

Im reminded of something for @kazu, and any of the rest of us buried under grief, illness, depression, etc. I wish I could remember who wrote this.

If A Thing Is Worth Doing, It’s Worth Doing Badly

We always hear that anything worth doing is worth doing well. 
There are times in our lives when doing something well is light years beyond us and we know it. Now we feel even more defeated, since we failed to accomplish something worth doing. 
But if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing badly. And that’s also an accomplishment.

You don’t have the energy to clean the house? Clear your favorite chair and side table so you have an uncluttered spot to rest.

Can’t find the words and energy to properly answer a letter from a friend? Text ‘Thanks for your letter, it meant a lot.’ There, you did it.

You don’t have the strength to take a shower? Wash your face.

You can’t brush your teeth for two minutes? Try for 20 seconds. Or 10.

You can’t summon the strength to do laundry? Change in the laundry room. Use the washer as a hamper. One day as you pass by, hit the Start button. IF you add soap, bonus points, if not, fine.

You do what you can, when you can, if you can. Sometimes nothing, sometimes a little.
You know you can’t do it all, but you don’t have to.

Because, if a thing is worth doing, it’s worth doing badly.

Happy Wednesday, everyone. Cheers to your favorite BHB,

C3C49886-4CA8-4999-B2E0-F7B087D8F2B1.thumb.jpeg.a28da5ed9896d56930458d9955c26a56.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Bodega Garzon 2020 Reserva Tannat

I am fairly certain that I have never tried a Tannat before, but I would love to taste this one. All released vintages have excellent ratings, and with a starting price of $14.95 from several online distributors- this would be an easy one to try. 

Winemaker Notes

Deep purple in color, this Tannat fresh aromas reminiscent of red and black fruits such as plums and raspberries on a spice-flavored aroma. It has a great personality in mouth. Its ripe tannins and its minerality make it a terroir wine of great identity.

WE90
Wine Enthusiast
A bright ruby color and unencumbered aromas of cherry, red plum and light oak are inviting and easy to process. This is Uruguayan Tannat in its cleanest, most modern form. The palate feels juicy and medium in body. Light spice notes accent popping plum and raspberry flavors, while the finish is easygoing.

I am very pleased to have you back, @cat shepard.

I have had a handfull of Tannats over the years from California, the Madiran region of France and Uuguay (Garzon is regularly available at Total Wine).  To be honest I find most of them to be VERY high in tannin--to the point where my joke about getting splinters in my tongue seems close to accurate.  The only exception to that experience has been a Tannat bottling from Lone Madrone winery in Paso Robles.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good Afternoon, Dailyites!

Thank you to all who contribute here, cheers to those celebrating and healing hugs to those on the cares list.

We have been to Falmouth only one time -- 4/23/2009 - a TA from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton on the Grand Princess.  We took a ship tour to Lanhydrock House estate.  They had lovely gardens.

100_5291.thumb.jpg.ef4e574aafb35f983c7cba352a4cfbfb.jpg

100_5298.thumb.jpg.9ad635f13a3e9db579850f1db3708e1f.jpg

100_5316.thumb.jpg.b0128148e3136cdf9664abc6ac0a69e6.jpg

100_5318.thumb.jpg.e5b7657ec88561861094cf3c4fe23ef8.jpg

From there we went to Fowey where we enjoyed a Cornish pasty and beer.  I may have had a cider??

100_5362.thumb.jpg.1e4ca1a732a7bac45886f4087e9ae1ca.jpg

100_5364.thumb.jpg.6707894a7d6916e6d2dee246b4b76d90.jpg

Interesting chimneys

100_5357.thumb.jpg.9e3afd60404b77c34f15ce65920ac92c.jpg

100_5384.thumb.jpg.efb75d0e14d2d514306d665bd03d19f0.jpg

100_5367.thumb.jpg.54a474510dff1d1bf9b23fc44fee11d9.jpg

How to pass the drive back to the ship 🤩100_5385.thumb.jpg.b91c1ac22d92a8e8a53cf1a88e7f059b.jpg

We will be calling on Falmouth again on 6/12/2022 during our B2B from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton then Norway on Island Princess.

Kay

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Thank you to all who contribute here, cheers to those celebrating and healing hugs to those on the cares list.

We have been to Falmouth only one time -- 4/23/2009 - a TA from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton on the Grand Princess.  We took a ship tour to Lanhydrock House estate.  They had lovely gardens.

From there we went to Fowey where we enjoyed a Cornish pasty and beer.  I may have had a cider??

Interesting chimneys

How to pass the drive back to the ship 🤩100_5385.thumb.jpg.b91c1ac22d92a8e8a53cf1a88e7f059b.jpg

We will be calling on Falmouth again on 6/12/2022 during our B2B from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton then Norway on Island Princess.

Kay

Nice photos Kay.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@kplady

1278100286_HappyBirthday2.jpg.3e2ae8a5b3e6b892c848360af8f23c5f.jpg

Today would be my mom's 93rd birthday.  I'm sure she's happy to share the date!

I just finished power washing the front and back decks.  Whew!  The hard part is done except for putting the furniture back in place.  I'll seal the front one tomorrow and the back deck on Friday.  The back deck takes longer to dry out because it is so nicely shaded.  The front deck is full sun.

Now, time for a tall glass of lemon water and relaxation.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

We talked to our son and he has Covid so at this point just about our whole family has had a case of Covid. He’s doing fine other then being frustrated with self quarantine.

Wow - thank heavens you didn’t go to that gathering (hope my memory is good?).  Hope your son is feeling better soon. 🤞 

57 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Covid kicked both of us a little harder than I realized. But, as mentioned, I’ve lost 5 lbs in 6 days, so every cloud has a silver lining! I was complaining about feeling sick in spite of being vaccinated, to my cousin. I forgot at the time that she had lived in New York during it’s brutal round with Covid in 2020.

So sorry to hear this.  Being sick is no fun.  You’re sister might be right but Covid can still knock the wind out of you for a while.  Hope you are feeling better soon 🤞 

57 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

If A Thing Is Worth Doing, It’s Worth Doing Badly

Thank you for posting this 👍 ♥️ 

6 hours ago, kplady said:

I love that today is Eat What You Want - I'm going out to lunch with my DSIL for my birthday,

Happy Birthday !!

0E6145E8-A568-4E1A-A943-25E2EA53DEC9.jpeg.7ad7566a3f8e6789db1569986603933e.jpeg

5 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

DSIL that lives with Sue and I contracted COVID this week. She has quarantined herself in her bedroom and just feeling lousy with a modest fever. All three of us are now wearing masks in the house plus avoiding being near each other. So far Sue and I have been okay

So sorry to hear this.  I hope your DSIL is feeling better soon & you and Sue can stay safe 🤞 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, dfish said:

@kplady

1278100286_HappyBirthday2.jpg.3e2ae8a5b3e6b892c848360af8f23c5f.jpg

Today would be my mom's 93rd birthday.  I'm sure she's happy to share the date!

I just finished power washing the front and back decks.  Whew!  The hard part is done except for putting the furniture back in place.  I'll seal the front one tomorrow and the back deck on Friday.  The back deck takes longer to dry out because it is so nicely shaded.  The front deck is full sun.

Now, time for a tall glass of lemon water and relaxation.

Best wishes Debbie on your late mam's 93rd birthday.

0E28A08F-12A8-48E8-A080-FF0DF318DC39.gif.3041fde9886fd59f1bdcb8aa942c2699.gif

• Like 16

Well, I managed to survive mowing and trimming the grass even though it took a little longer today.  I'm not moving as fast this week as usual.  Our never ending wind and the clouds helped keep it cool for a while, but the sun came out sooner than predicted.  I'm glad I remembered to put sun screen on today.

@Heartgrove  Jack, I'm sorry your DSIL has Covid.  I hope it is a mild case and she is feeling better soon.  I also hope you and Sue continue to stay Covid free.

@Cruising-along  I'm sorry your friend is in the hospital with Covid.  Sending positive thoughts that she is better and back home soon.

@Crazy For Cats  I enjoyed your pictures of your garden. Thanks for sharing them.

@aliaschief  I hope your visit to the lighthouse is fun.  I'm sorry your DS has tested positive, and hope he is better soon.

@Cruzin Terri  I hope your day Rome is wonderful.  Safe travels on Friday.

@Vict0riann  Ann, thanks for the pictures of the beautiful flowers and Oskar.  He is a cutie.

@kb4683  Kay, thanks for your pictures from Falmouth.  I think we were supposed to be there this year on our canceled Coral Princess cruise.  Hopefully, we'll make it someday.

@Horizon chaser 1957  Carolyn, hope you both are feeling better.

With all the cases of Covid being reported, please be careful, wear your masks 😷. and stay safe.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, kb4683 said:

Interesting chimneys

Kay

I love the photos, especially the gardens and the pasties.  Yum!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2