things that are never coming back to HAL

kangforpres

Just got off a 7 day Alaska cruise RT Vancouver and I sailed 3 times in the Fall of 2021 and here are some things that made HAL unique that I'm convinced will never return to a Covid-19 cruise world. Covid-19 is not over so I won't call it post-covid-19 world.

1. Turn down evening service. In fact our cabin stewards did not work in tandem on my most recent cruise but instead split up so they could clean more cabins faster.

2. Hors d'oeurves during happy hours or even a jar of peanuts. And Happy hour was not every day on my last cruise but did happen every day on my Fall cruises

3.The Yum-Yum man after dinner in the MDR

4.Lobster tails at least once every 7 days in the MDR using during a Gala night menu. (This might be a supply chain issue)

I know these are PPP (Priviledged Persson Problems) in our current world, but they were nice touches that made HAL seem special to me over it's competition.

Happy Tuesday,

Paul

• Like 2

We did have jars of mixed nuts every night in the Ocean Bar on our cruise on the Rotterdam in March. 

We also had cabin service twice a day but no mints on the pillow.

No lobster, not a big deal with us.

BTW the Rotterdam was sold out for our cruise except for cabins set aside for Covid.

Edited by MISTER 67

Just now, MISTER 67 said:

We did have jars of mixed nuts every night in the Ocean Bar on our cruise on the Rotterdam in March. 

We did also on our Dec/Jan cruise. Room stewards left chocolates on our desk. Someone sent a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries (we think it was my sister but her lips were sealed) and I didn't mind paying for crablegs or lobster but some may miss getting it in MDR for free. I still love HAL.. 

• Like 4

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't need turn down service.  We never know day to day what we'll be doing that night (and we have Open Dining). Sometimes on long cruises we just want to stay in, get room service and watch a movie.  Some down time.  On our last cruise last fall we could have had twice/day service, but we asked that they come just in the mornings.  After making sure that's what we really wanted, our wonderful stewards would leave our pillow chocolates (and always extra ones) in the mornings, and the daily program in our mail slot later in the day.  Worked for us!

• Like 9

A few things that are not coming back....and we consider them improvements:

1) no more long lines at check in.....breezed thru with the "face recognition" passport reader

2) no more need to stand around with the buzzer or hang out at the counter for dive in or pizza.....You can order on your app and then go fetch it when ready

3)no more standing in line at guest services to get a print out...you can view it on your TV or navigator app

4)  no more standing in line at the excursion desk to sign up for a tour

5) lack of live music.....now there are several venues with live music in the evening..more choices!

5) smoking all over the ship...gone and not coming back!

6.) no choice in steward service....now you can request 1x a day or 2x a day service...we prefer 1x

7) lack of choices in the lido buffet......now lido is a "go to" place for all types of food....much more expanded

9) lack of choices for dinner....used to it was only MDR and lido....now we have all those specialty restaurants on top of the excellent MDR and lido

Anyway, I'm sure there are more....but we think cruising is half full not half empty...sure, we miss some things.......The changes are good and they keep getting better.....in our opinion....

"Savor the journey....."

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

I had turn down service even though I requested single daily service.  Chocolates were only on gala night, lobster tails were available at every gala night.  I missed the YumYum and even volunteered for the position. I did notice far fewer flowers which may be supply chain issues. 

I will hold out on declaring the permanent end of some services but I know there will be changes.  

my lament is it appears cruising is becoming more and more a vacationer’s holiday than a traveler’s choice 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kangforpres said:

…2. Hors d'oeurves during happy hours or even a jar of peanuts….

3.The Yum-Yum man after dinner in the MDR….

On my last sailing in 2019, they had already phased out the Yum Yum Man, which I missed.

Did you request the hors d’oeuvres? The “Know Before You Go” online still says, under Shipboard Life-Shipboard Meals, “In addition to breakfast, lunch and a multi-course dinner, you can enjoy afternoon tea, hearty salads, comfort classics, global cuisine, an ice cream bar, hot hors d’oeuvres during the cocktail hours, and the traditional late-night snack.” https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq/know-before-you-go.html 

On a few cruises, I’ve had to request them, and they weren’t always in every lounge. Of course, KBYG still had “complimentary after-dinner cappuccinos” listed long after they started charging. 
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I had turn down service even though I requested single daily service.  Chocolates were only on gala night, lobster tails were available at every gala night.  I missed the YumYum and even volunteered for the position. I did notice far fewer flowers which may be supply chain issues. 

I will hold out on declaring the permanent end of some services but I know there will be changes.  

my lament is it appears cruising is becoming more and more a vacationer’s holiday than a traveler’s choice 

I have to ask: what is the YumYum man?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

A few things that are not coming back....and we consider them improvements:

1) no more long lines at check in.....breezed thru with the "face recognition" passport reader

2) no more need to stand around with the buzzer or hang out at the counter for dive in or pizza.....You can order on your app and then go fetch it when ready

3)no more standing in line at guest services to get a print out...you can view it on your TV or navigator app

4)  no more standing in line at the excursion desk to sign up for a tour

5) lack of live music.....now there are several venues with live music in the evening..more choices!

5) smoking all over the ship...gone and not coming back!

6.) no choice in steward service....now you can request 1x a day or 2x a day service...we prefer 1x

7) lack of choices in the lido buffet......now lido is a "go to" place for all types of food....much more expanded

9) lack of choices for dinner....used to it was only MDR and lido....now we have all those specialty restaurants on top of the excellent MDR and lido

Anyway, I'm sure there are more....but we think cruising is half full not half empty...sure, we miss some things.......The changes are good and they keep getting better.....in our opinion....

"Savor the journey....."

Well except it took an average of 3 hours to board the K-dam cruise in Vancouver on May 7. Hopefully that will improve as the season grows and they hire more people for embarkation. Only 5 people checking health docs and 5 people doing check-in for a cruise with 1800 pax. and then after security another long line to go through US Customs since the first stop is Alaska.

15 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

Well except it took an average of 3 hours to board the K-dam cruise in Vancouver on May 7. Hopefully that will improve as the season grows and they hire more people for embarkation. Only 5 people checking health docs and 5 people doing check-in for a cruise with 1800 pax. and then after security another long line to go through US Customs since the first stop is Alaska.

That must be a Canada problem.  Took 2 cruises on the Koningsdam since November.  Was on the ship within a hour or less.  Maybe too many people showing up before they were supposed to.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I missed the YumYum and even volunteered for the position.

I did too!!  Back in 2018 or 2019 (whenever they "terminated" the Yum Yum Man) I asked the DRM if they at least still had the chimes.  He said they did and I volunteered to circulate around Deck 4 (this was an R-Class ship) and play the chimes before the early and late fixed seatings.  Yeah, really!   My offer was declined.

And I agree 100% with your last statement.

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Mariner medal ceremonies open to all Mariners

Y'know, that's the one change that I REALLY hate.  The Mariner medallion reception is the ONLY time that we actually wear our medallions.  Now that's limited only to 5*s -- and I still lack 100+ points for that.  Since resumption of cruising I no longer even pack my medallion.  Well, I did on the first post-COVID cruise in October because I didn't know about the change.  Seriously?  How significantly does it impact their revenue stream to just provide a glass of cheap wine for the 4*s?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, saturn93 said:

I was on Koningsdam last month, and they still had the late night buffet.

The Lido Market Late Buffet at 10:30 has not stopped as ship staff still have to eat.  Current late menus are posted via the link in the lower right of this post.