The Retreat is not living up to its hype and we haven't even sailed.

Minniebug

Besides being told twice that the Solstice has been revolutionized in great detail by one associate, then confirmed by a second associate, only to find out that it was not true. Disappointed to say the least. Expectations were high, now the bar has been lowered dramatically. Then the boards indicate that the Premium Internet Access is hardly working. Not good when you need to do some work on vacation.

Three calls to the dedicated Retreat line to get the email with the luggage tags and the Supervisor Christine says it's up to the Documents Department and we have to wait or fill them out at the pier. She can only send them an email request. They no longer mail the luggage tags and I'm all for saving them money after the horrendous two years they've experienced because of the pandemic, but come on... Seriously. It's an email. Just get it done. I guess the Supervisor in the Retreat has no phone number to the Documents Department Supervisor. I just hung up because I don't want confrontation with already overwhelmed staff. Regardless, it's exasperating.

Prior to paying for the cruise, I caught an error with the Port Charges and their computer system was doubling our port charges. I actually booked another cruise in a Suite next to mine and several others to make sure I was correct and backed out of the reservations. They finally got it corrected and it was implied that they were doing me a favor. What?

I can't wait to experience the cruise. NOT!

I like to maintain a positive attitude, but when it's bad before departure it's usually bad all the way through.

Surely, I know that many companies are having issues finding staff and I can tell you that the representatives are not up to the task. One call I had with a very nice associate said he was a bartender, so it appears that they are training onboard crew not currently at sea to take phone calls. In fact, this can be a very good idea, all hands-on deck,' so to speak, efficient, etc.; however, maybe not because he was one of the associates that confirmed the revolution of the Solstice.

Currently, I have no idea if any questions I asked were answered correctly. So, I fully expect not to have a smooth trip.

So far, so bad.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

You can probably still cancel the cruise for a full refund.   If you don’t have the best of expectations, why bother taking the cruise.   Your vacation dollars can be spent elsewhere.

I agree.  *Some* people might say "it was terrible customer service but once I got on board it was fantastic!".  But maybe it's better to cut your losses.  Get a refund if you can and book some other vacation.

Have sailed on the Reflection many times including in February and the Edge and Apex since the restart.   The Retreat experience is not the same on the Reflection or other S or M Class ships  compared to the E Class.  We have sailed on the Summit post revolution and it was nice but still not the same as the E Class, sun deck disappointing no pool, little shade.   We have 2  booking on the Summit in Suites,  but we have 6 more booking on E Class.  Our expectations for the Summit are not the same as the E Class, of course the price is less also.

The E Class  ships were designed for the Retreat and IMO that is where the experience matches what X advertises.  That isn't to say the others are not a great experience, we had a great time on the Reflection, service was great, food was very good but  felt the "bang for our buck" was better on the E Class.   

You may want to consider cancelling and looking for a cruise on a E Class where you can experience the Retreat as it is shown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Minniebug said:

I like to maintain a positive attitude, but when it's bad before departure it's usually bad all the way through.

Currently, I have no idea if any questions I asked were answered correctly. So, I fully expect not to have a smooth trip.

So far, so bad.

Celebrity has notoriously complex pre cruise customer service without a travel agent to intervene and save you the frustration. 

There are also direct ways to get these things addressed by calling 1-877-RETREAT or even using the chat function built into the website.

That being said, I hope you have an opportunity to reframe your wonderful upcoming cruise because you do not project a sunny demeanor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I were you I would cancel even though it took 10 minutes on line to get the correct answers to the questions you wanted answered. As to the internet access you are in the middle of the ocean and there could be issues. No worse flying on the airlines.

Edited by kenb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Celebrity website shows Solstice being Revolutionized in 2026. Someone reporting they had issues with the internet on a previous cruise has as much chance of being an issue on a following cruise as flipping a coin. We cruised on Apex in Nov ‘21 and someone posted they could barely get on. Got on and had No issues with internet. It was fine. I sent photos, but i didn’t download some video movie. ``

I’ve seen a number of threads here describing how much some really enjoyed the Suites on Solstice and even though not ‘revolutionized’, loved what was Michale’s Club which is something I enjoyed prior to it becoming the Retreat Lounge.

We print our luggage tags and do just fine. 

I’m ‘easily entertained’ and I’m not the OP,…each of us have our levels of what is required. From the sound of the post, I’d consider cancelling. 

I’m on the Solstice in July; been on the Solstice 3 times prior and loved Her. But I’ve not done Retreat, so……

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 4

I will second the idea that E-class may be where you should have booked; however, I did enjoy the other S-class ships and their itineraries, but my next 6 cruises are all booked on the newer ships.  The Solstice is an older S-class ship, with M-class behind S.  In addition, I will second the fact that shoreside experiences are not always good, but onboard it is usually excellent.  So, do your homework before you book another cruise, cancel or have an open mind.  It is not worth paying for a suite if you are not going to enjoy it...just my two cents.  You need to find your happy place bcause life is way too short.  Good Luck!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

We are set to take our first Celebrity Cruise on the Solstice this summer and we are booked in The Retreat.  While I can understand that in comparison to the newer ships, The Retreat amenities are not as abundant or new, there are still some benefits.  They recently put out an updated video that shows the current Solstice which might help you decide if you should cancel. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Minniebug said:

Besides being told twice that the Solstice has been revolutionized in great detail by one associate, then confirmed by a second associate, only to find out that it was not true. Disappointed to say the least. Expectations were high, now the bar has been lowered dramatically. Then the boards indicate that the Premium Internet Access is hardly working. Not good when you need to do some work on vacation.

Three calls to the dedicated Retreat line to get the email with the luggage tags and the Supervisor Christine says it's up to the Documents Department and we have to wait or fill them out at the pier. She can only send them an email request. They no longer mail the luggage tags and I'm all for saving them money after the horrendous two years they've experienced because of the pandemic, but come on... Seriously. It's an email. Just get it done. I guess the Supervisor in the Retreat has no phone number to the Documents Department Supervisor. I just hung up because I don't want confrontation with already overwhelmed staff. Regardless, it's exasperating.

Prior to paying for the cruise, I caught an error with the Port Charges and their computer system was doubling our port charges. I actually booked another cruise in a Suite next to mine and several others to make sure I was correct and backed out of the reservations. They finally got it corrected and it was implied that they were doing me a favor. What?

Surely, I know that many companies are having issues finding staff and I can tell you that the representatives are not up to the task. One call I had with a very nice associate said he was a bartender, so it appears that they are training onboard crew not currently at sea to take phone calls. In fact, this can be a very good idea, all hands-on deck,' so to speak, efficient, etc.; however, maybe not because he was one of the associates that confirmed the revolution of the Solstice.

So far, so bad.

You should get a refund now and save yourself the nightmare that this cruise will likely be for you. Save yourself and the great employees of Celebrity the trouble. BTW, the luggage tags are part of your cruise documentation you get once you check in.....It's all online.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

You can probably still cancel the cruise for a full refund.   If you don’t have the best of expectations, why bother taking the cruise.   Your vacation dollars can be spent elsewhere.

agree with you.  If you expect a problem, it will most likely happen.

Still I feel a bit bad for the situation.  Guess I won't try for retreat then.

Trusting booking reps for specific info:  Never trust them, most mean well, they are simply not provided the most accurate info.  Wasn't the first time a rep will be wrong or the last.  There's CC and even google.

Luggage tags:  Never understood the desire for mailed luggage tags (I guess some people find them attractive looking?)  vs printing them out yourself but luckily there is a better solution.  As long as you arrive when the porters are present you can show up without tags and the porters will either print tag or grab a blank tag and write on your room #.  To me, handing them the un-tagged luggage and letting them deal with it feels a tad more "VIP" than bringing the mailed or printed tags with me and putting them on.

Port fee refund: Not sure exactly what happened on the OPs end, they caught the error and refunded it.

As others have stated, the OP may already have a chip on their shoulder and maybe should cancel; imagine if there are supply chain issues, dining staff issues or a butler staff issue.  Kudos to the thread title though, X employees (on their own) will probably read this

• Like 1

We were in a Sunset Veranda Suite in 2018 for Alaska.  It was a beautiful suite and we were very happy with it. We had two grandchildren traveling with us.  We are not demanding folks so really didn’t ask for much.  Matter of fact we didn’t even use our butler.   Later that fall we cruised her from Vancouver to Sydney Australia very happily in just a regular Sunset Veranda. We love this ship. 

We are very excited to be cruising Alaska again in June in that very same Sunset Suite with our two grandchildren again.  We are excited to be cruising again.  Yes she is not shiny and new like the E class so you have to give it a break there and expect there are going to be bumps in the service but those  are everywhere if you have stayed in a resort lately!  If everyone could just have a little more patience and respect the hard working crew who are trying to deal with staff shortages themselves and cover for each other when someone gets quarantined.   We will all have a great cruise. It is after all what you make of it.  If anyone is wondering yes we have cruised since the comeback and we have another cruise in July. 

We print out our own luggage tags and put them in a clear luggage tag holder that we bought on Amazon for the tags. Very easy.  

Cruise, have fun and most of all patience😎

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Minniebug said:

So far, so bad.

Not sure what any of your travails have to do with the retreat. You are experiencing problems dealing with new inexperienced lightly trained phone answer people who know maybe how to follow a script. Fact of life. Shoreside staff is not the same as shipboard staff.
I hope you come back to describe your onboard Retreat experience.

6 hours ago, Minniebug said:

If you expect a renovated ship with no defects, good service and working internet then the Solstice (I assume on the Alaska route) is NOT the ship for you. The luggage tags will be your smallest problem.

Not sure how flexible you are with picking another route but maybe Millennium from Vancouver would be a better fit as Millennium has been "revolutionized" and I was quite impressed with the job they've done.

1 hour ago, mauimary said:

We were in a Sunset Veranda Suite in 2018 for Alaska.  It was a beautiful suite and we were very happy with it. We had two grandchildren traveling with us.  We are not demanding folks so really didn’t ask for much.  Matter of fact we didn’t even use our butler.   Later that fall we cruised her from Vancouver to Sydney Australia very happily in just a regular Sunset Veranda. We love this ship. 

We are very excited to be cruising Alaska again in June in that very same Sunset Suite with our two grandchildren again.  We are excited to be cruising again.  Yes she is not shiny and new like the E class so you have to give it a break there and expect there are going to be bumps in the service but those  are everywhere if you have stayed in a resort lately!  If everyone could just have a little more patience and respect the hard working crew who are trying to deal with staff shortages themselves and cover for each other when someone gets quarantined.

That was four years ago (I had my very own first sailing on Solstice in May 2018) and since then X has done absolutely nothing with this ship which is a disgrace. Not only that but they let it fall into disrepair in major areas. The sent her into dry dock to tale care of the obligatory hull care but as far as cabins and interior is concerned... nada.

As for bumps in the service, they had plenty of time to get up to speed and if the crew is short staffed that is the company's fault, not the fault of individual crew members. I also had talks with a couple people from ship management who admitted that while some crew members are experienced and came from other X ships, many are new hires from other companies and not familiar with the Celebrity service level and standards. Considering the OP booked The Retreat my patience would be limited depending what amount of money was involved here. Not everyone has a hands off "I don't care" approach when it comes to a vacation.

Until Celebrity actually creates a "retreat" space up on the Solstice deck at the front of the ship, they shouldn't call a suite booking "The Retreat". It makes no sense. On the Solstice a suite booking comes with access to the Luminae restaurant and Michael's Club. Period. It has been this way since shortly after the Solstice was built and they carved Luminae out of the MDR. I can see where a cruiser would be completely mislead seeing all the glitsy shots of the Edge-class ships and fully expecting that Retreat experience on any Celebrity ship. And since Celebrity hasn't maintained Solstice cabin interiors, fully expecting to rip them out during the the remodel, the reality may be a huge disappointment. Celebrity has overhyped the space and it is best that you cancel if you still can. Look to the future and book Beyond instead. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Not everyone has a hands off "I don't care" approach when it comes to a vacation.

I absolutely do NOT have a hands off “ I DO NOT  CARE  approach” to our vacation. If it sounded that way that was absolutely not my intention.  I just have a more positive attitude that not everything is going to be like it was pre Covid and we should not expect it to be.    I care very much.  It is costing us quite a lot for our suite. When we cruised Solstice in 2018 I read comments on CC here of folks reading that the ship looked worn at that time.  We did not see that. Not glitzy but well maintained.  I will be able to comment further next month. 

We have chosen Solstice for the ITINERARY and not the ship.  We very much like Celebrity.   
If someone wants more glitz then maybe you ought to try one of the Royal Caribbean’s big newer cousins with more glitz that are cruising Alaska. Obviously the newer glitzy E class ships are all in the Mediterranean or Caribbean depending on the season. 

I do agree that Celebrity should not lump all suites under the umbrella of being in a “retreat category”.  They are simply suites.  Alaska is a little on the cool side to be able to enjoy much of an outdoor retreat. Like was said above it is misleading seeing all the photos from the E class and expecting the same on the other classes.  

• Like 5

OP, before we book anything we do personal research first, we never rely on advertising, Travel Agents or phone staff who probably have not been on any ship.

We would never book a cruise on any line without asking lots of questions first mostly on this site. Nothing like advice and opinions from people who have actually ‘been, seen and done’…

We have cruised Solstice twice in suites (pre covid) and thoroughly enjoyed. Michael’s Club was a nice relaxing venue for pre and post dinner drinks. Luminae was pleasant and definitely a cut above the MDR. We had a fantastic butler who saw to everything we asked for including arranging a sail away party. Our room was not revamped but was still in very good condition. I can understand that you have felt mislead but with three different classes of ships and differences within each class it is difficult. 

If the bells and whistles of a new ship with a full Retreat experience is important to you then as others have suggested cancel and re book but you must do your homework first. If you don’t you could find you still book a room/experience that does not reach your expectations. For example, some suite rooms on Edge class overlook the Magic Carpet, the Royal Suite on Edge has a tiny balcony, only higher suites get some additional perks like in suite bar set up and unlimited speciality dining…You need to get a full picture of exactly what your room and suite experience will be like before booking.

If you decide to swap cruise lines my advice would be the same…Do your homework first. All lines will have some anomalies between ships and then between suite categories.

• Like 1

I would recommend the OP sail the "Perfect Cruise Line"...good luck finding them.  

Seriously, if luggage tags this far out bother them, they need to do something else with their vacation dollars.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Celebrity is generally doing a great job in keepin it's older ships in shape also if they did not get yet the "Revolution" refurbishment, well I am taling about pre COVID until begining of 2020.

One thing I do have to note is the customer service of X and RCL, it's absolutely umprofessional and in case you have issues you need to push to get what you need if you even manage. Hence, yes the actual cruise experience once you are onboard is mostly excellent but this is not enough at the end. The whole epxerience must be that way, which starts alread at the booking phase.