The Daily for Wednesday 05/18/2022

richwmn

54 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Prayers for all in need including the people of Ukraine.  Many thanks to Rich and Roy and all they do keeping this thread going.

I have been MIA as we are continuing our sailing on Oasis of the Seas.  The days here have been wonderful — and busy.

Update on my sister in law - she is out of the hospital and in another facility.  We will find out more when we get home.  Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.    

Roy - I don’t if you have been on Adventure yet but it is one of my favorite ships.  Enjoy!  Katherine 

Good news on SIL.  Continue to enjoy your cruise.  I have not yet been on any Voyager/Freedom class ships.

Roy

• Like 15

4 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning all,

Still nursing my sore tooth from the root canal. Feels better than yesterday but has a way to go.  

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better 👍 Hopefully you will feel much better fast 🤞 

4 hours ago, dfish said:

@kazu Jacqui, changing the gas canister is easy.  I know you'll get it!   

Once I get the energy and find the right wrench it will be.  It’s not so much the change as the lifting I’m concerned about 😉 

Graham - sorry to hear about your friend’s son.  My condolences.

1 hour ago, Lady Hudson said:

Update on my sister in law - she is out of the hospital and in another facility.  We will find out more when we get home.  

Good to hear 👍 

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kazu  Jacqui, hope today is not too bad.  Changing propane tanks is not hard except lifting the full tank.

Thanks - it’s the lifting I’m worried about.  Not sure if I can do it.  Time will tell.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Another drizzly morning here, a good day to catch up on the laundry.  I think there will be some clearing this afternoon for a few hours. 😉  

We have visited many museums around the world while on cruises and land trips.  I try not to leave dirty dishes, and at least get them into the dishwasher to wait for a full load.  Sometimes some soaking is required though.  Yesterday was visit relatives for us, when we saw DD and DGS's.  

This is also the anniversary of the day I met DH.  He was an "older man" of 20, I was 17.  That was 54 years ago.  Another anniversary today is the day Mt. St. Helen's erupted in 1980.  We happened to be living in Portland, OR at the time and for the later eruptions as well.  Our son remembers that day, as he was 6 but our daughter has no memories of it -- she was only 16 months old.  The first time we got no ash in our yard, and also didn't hear it.  The sound waves went right over us.  A phone call from my sister in WA state was the first I knew of it.  Later eruptions we had ash everywhere. I still have a bag of ash I've kept all these years, moving many times around the country. 😅 

Good quote, but easier said than done for some of us.  I love that wine, will pass on the drink, and I'd like the recipe with Balsamic Vinegar or the Asian recipe.  Have never been to the port.

We'll see soon if DH's car starts this morning without having to be jumped.  Yesterday things started working, like the lift gate opening again, and the windows working again -- like it was taking time to reset or something.  I guess we'll find out tomorrow when he takes it in.

Happy 54th meeting anniversary.

DB174BA3-2D28-41F5-9B38-E4E3F9D49775.jpeg.42385f3f6721d029da91e23fb36b3d76.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all.   We love museums particularly the smaller ones like the Frick, Marmottan, one in Lisbon and the Etruscan one in Tarquinia.  
@smitty34877 glad you will get a chance to see Baby Camilla,  good idea to get some help for Tana

@kazu hope all goes well as you do these difficult tasks.  Yikes on those propane tanks,  they are heavy. 
@Cruzin Terri glad the tooth is feeling better

Hoping to enjoy some sunshine,   We worked in the garden yesterday trimming and composting.  Tomorrow rain so hopefully can shop and plant later in the week 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon, I hope everyone is having a great day. Noordam now arriving in Juneau.

It’s now been a week since I had the supposed PT appointment, still no response about a new script for my hand. I don’t understand why this is so complicated.

I read on the Alaska news app that a pax went overboard on the Celebrity Solstice in the Lynn Canal Tuesday at 3am, search had been suspended. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists ❤️🙏

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

Love the Emerson quote, special today as DH and I celebrate 48 years of wedded bliss. We are enjoying a few days at Big Bear Lake, CA, a weekend golf trip to Nevada, and a beautiful drive to Whidbey Island, WA.  Our anniversary celebration will continue when we board Oceania Insignia June 14, and complete one more ‘cancelled in the pandemic’ cruises. 
May 18, 1974 Tucson, AZ and October, 2021 Quincy, WA
A0754F09-4201-4220-80C0-63BD2DFE6CBE.jpeg.66a18121989caf262248e09f09221277.jpeg5B95EEA6-1C09-4BED-8B3C-D5A1A5B12D13.jpeg.c79407fd320a578e1317789c6f890791.jpeg

• Like 31

8 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

Love the Emerson quote, special today as DH and I celebrate 48 years of wedded bliss. We are enjoying a few days at Big Bear Lake, CA, a weekend golf trip to Nevada, and a beautiful drive to Whidbey Island, WA.  Our anniversary celebration will continue when we board Oceania Insignia June 14, and complete one more ‘cancelled in the pandemic’ cruises. 
A0754F09-4201-4220-80C0-63BD2DFE6CBE.jpeg.66a18121989caf262248e09f09221277.jpeg5B95EEA6-1C09-4BED-8B3C-D5A1A5B12D13.jpeg.c79407fd320a578e1317789c6f890791.jpeg

Happy 48th wedding anniversary today.

Neither of you look old enough to have been married that long.

16BAE748-7629-449F-AB37-968AF0377626.gif.473208a51bb791858c0f250666388322.gif

• Like 15

Good morning, Dailyites!  Lots going on here today, my best wishes to all.  Sadness, too, but the quotation is a good one.  When I check the obituaries in the paper, I am amazed at how much closer the birth years are coming to mine!  Congratulations on the anniversaries!  And Bon Voyage to those about to sail.

I'd love to try that wine - it sounds yummy.  And the recipes - I don't have any peaches in the house, but I remembered a recipe an Australian friend gave me many years ago for a chicken with apricot jam, and I do have that so I will adapt it to match the Chinesey recipe and try that tonight.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Do you think apricot jam and soy sauce would go with balsamic vinegar?   Actually, just checked the pantry and DD has "acquired" two kinds of balsamic,  rice vinegar, red and white wine  and sherry vinegar, Chinese cooking wine, sake, and mirin.  I will sniff all of them and decide which to add....  Every time she shops she comes home with something we'll never use!

We have appointments today to get our second boosters.  Yay!  Gas has gone up to $2.329  here, so we will go to my philatelic meeting and then hang around there  for an hour until our shots, it's just not worth it to come all the way home in between.  

We expected to have a big rain- and windstorm last night, but it seems to be just starting up now, the trees are moving energetically.  Pat left for golf, but came home when it started to blow.  

• Like 25

14 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

Congratulations on your 48th anniversary.  It sounds like a great celebration to me.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I guess you stay at Premier Inn right there at the mall then?  We have stayed there before and cancelled our reservation when we moved our June 29 cruise (Russia) to the May 26 cruise which departs from Ft. Lauderdale instead.

Yes it is very convenient and a few minutes walk to the mall and about 5 minutes walk in the other direction to the River Solent to watch ships departing.

• Like 10

"No dirty dishes" is more aspiration than reality here. I have made a chicken and apricot dish, and I agree that some of the recipes would be too sweet. I've noticed that many meat and poultry recipes that include fruit also call for a lot of sugar, when the dish would taste right (imo) with none.

My only connection to Madagascar was a harassing phone call at working, saying that I and all of my religion should be deported to there. It happened to be a day on which we were holding a large public event, so I reported it to the police. That was not easy in a town with only four police officers, just one working on Sunday, and no one answering the phone. Coincidentally, the last Greek lesson that I finished contained Παίρνουμε την αστυνομία αυτή τη στιγμή! meaning "We are calling the police this instant!" At least it is a change from asking the age of an elephant, which was in the lesson before.

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

+1

• Like 9

About the chicken recipe, I have now taken out 9 chicken thighs from the freezer as I think there will be a lot of sauce.  And I forgot to check the fridge - in there DD has sweet Thai chili sauce, 2 fish sauces, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, sriracha,  spicy Szechuan sauce, chilli garlic paste, ginger and sesame sauce,  teriyaki sauce, and a few others....  I will have to find something not too sweet to add, as the jam will provide lots of sweetness.

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Norseh2o said:

Happy Anniversary!🎉

• Like 16

Well, today is a wash out! We have a stalled front right over us and it appears it will be like this most of the day. Even have flash flood alerts. Can’t complain as we have had lovely weather up to today!

Graham sad news today and your right to enjoy life while you can.

Our food tour was quite interesting and enjoyable yesterday. Had a Taro Burger and it was perfectly seasoned and delicious. Had some healthy drink elixirs, macadamia nut pie and we went to a herbal farm and tried some of their healthy teas and natural products at their “Farmacy.”

Thanks Rich and all who contribute. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Happy Anniversary. @Norseh2o.  Are you on the ship all the way to New York?

Roy

Thank you, Roy.  We are traveling from Lisbon to New York. So pleased to join friends (who we met onboard an Amazon cruise in 2019) for this next adventure!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Norseh2o said:

Congratulations. 

• Like 15

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily @richwmn and to all contributors.

I like museums and the history they preserve. I have a couple of dirty dishes in the sink, that I'll take care of soon or put them in the dishwasher 🤨. Sadly, no living relatives to visit.

Great quote!

The meal looks interesting (the last one). I'll pass on the drink and wine.

I haven't been to today's destination.

It's cool and overcast here today and due to rain. I took a few hours this morning to attack the neighbor's invasive vines that are growing into my yard. I cut them back severely last fall, at least as much as I could do from my side. It began to sprinkle just as I finished up.

@kazu Thinking of you as you have to do all the hard necessary stuff today and ongoing.

@grapau27 So sad about your friend's SIL passing at such a young age.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad the tooth feels a bit better. It sounds like a lot of work to settle DBIL's estate. Nice on booking the anniversary trip; your anniversary is on my birthday.

@dfish Good to hear there's no obstacles to your planned surgery.

@StLouisCruisers Another great tree by DD. And I'm sure they're excited to get the new puppy.

@JAM37 I'm glad the headache is gone.

@Lady Hudson Good to hear that your SIL is out of the hospital. Enjoy the cruising.

@Norseh2o Happy Anniversary! 🍾

Prayers for the Care List and Ukraine. A toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

As usual, my not so busy day got a little busier.  Over the past week, we decided to go greener and ordered a battery powered mower, trimmer and blower.  We ordered the latter two on the 16th and they arrived today.  However, according to Amazon and UPS tracking the mower, which was ordered on the 12th, has been in Ft. Worth (60 miles away) since Friday.  We have our fingers crossed that it will get here -- someday.  🤞  We put the trimmer and blower together, and after charging the battery, tried them out.  While they are not that quiet, I will not have to drag two extension cords around the yard and port.  👍  After a test "drive" of each, they seem like they will work well.

We also took the golf cart up to the local gas station before we ran out of gas, which has happened more than once.  🤣   We've had a new tire to replace the one that keeps losing air for a couple of years, but never got around to putting it on the cart.  DH has been trying to talk me into replacing it, without much success.  We threw it into the back of the gold card, and the owner of the station replaced it quickly with his impact wrench, and the price was right.

Along the lines of what @grapau27  Graham said about living life to the fullest, both our fathers gave us the same advice.  They waited to travel until after they retired, but health problems curtailed their travels sooner than they liked.  They told us to travel while we were young and healthy,  For once, we listened and took their advice, to the point younger DD asked one time, "Aren't you people every home?"  My reply was, "Not if we can help it". 🤣

@grapau27  Graham, thank you for the pictures of the Flow rider and Rip cord.  I think we'd just watch others doing that.

@Lady Hudson  That is good news that your DSIL is out of the hospital.  I hope the new place is a good fit for her.  Enjoy your cruise.

@Cruising-along  HAPPY 54th ANNIVERSARY of the day you and your DH met.  Hope the gremlins are leaving DH's car alone today.

@kazu  Jacqui, while the full propane tanks are heavy, I have managed to carry them and to replace them in the grill.  The ones we have use a connection you can screw on and off without a wrench.

@Norseh2o  💕🌹 HAPPY 49TH ANNIERSARY!  🍾🥂  Great pictures.

@kochleffel  What an awful phone call.  I'm glad you called the police.

@Vict0riann  Ann, the first thing that came to mind when I read this was is there any room for food in the refrigerator?  😄

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon, thanks for the Daily!  Better late to the party than never - I had to be up and out of the house super early to be with DH when the doctor came in to discuss the results of his overnight sleep study ... 3 hours after I arrived.  Sigh.  Neither of us slept well - DH because he was, as he put it, "wired for sound", and I never sleep well when he's not there.  

We enjoy visiting historical museums when we travel, especially when we can take time to wander through them, rather than being hustled from one exhibit to another.   Both DH and I abhor dirty dishes - when I see photos of people with dishes thrown into the sink, it makes me want to just dive in and clean them all up.  Sadly the number of my relatives decreased by one yesterday; my remaining birth uncle (with whom I had a great relationship) passed away at his home from a massive heart attack at age 89.  Although it's sad, it was a blessing that he didn't have a stroke and end up bedridden for his remaining years.    Not sure about the arrangements yet, but DH and I may be called upon to do his funeral.  

@grapau27I am sorry to hear of your friend's SIL; how sad to lose someone so young.

@kazudon't try to take on too much, especially the heavy stuff.  I don't even like changing the propane tank on the bbq, and I'm a big, hefty girl.  Get one of your neighbours to assist with it, please, as I don't want you getting hurt.

@Norseh2oHappy 48th Anniversary - may you enjoy many more loving years together!

@Cruzin TerriI'm glad your tooth is feeling somewhat better; hopefully the pain stops fully soon.

@JAM37 yay that you're feeling better after your migraine.

@Sharon in AZ I'm excited for you and your trip . . . can't wait to hear about it on your return!

So, DH's sleep study results were that his oxygen levels drop while he sleeps, so instead of putting him on oxygen for the night (which would be a pain to travel with), the doctor is getting him fitted for a CPAP.  Hopefully that does the trick and DH will sleep more restfully than he has in the past.  Of course there's a hitch in this - are you ready for this?  There's a shortage of CPAP machines.  LOL  He's at the top of the wait list for whenever they come in, so who knows . . . 

I like today's menu suggestion, and think it would make a great summer time dish served with a light salad on a hot summer's evening.  However, there's leftover meatloaf sitting in the fridge that will be warmed up and served with fresh corn on the cob and a salad tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and all who are providing aid for them.  We'll clink our glasses together to celebrate all the happiness here and salute the life of my dear uncle.  Stay safe, wear masks when you need to, get your boosters and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2