Is all inclusive sailing a bust for Celebrity ?

Ex-Airbalancer

It's only for a limited booking time (in the T&C).  It looks aimed at bolstering bookings in certain areas given AQ and Retreat are excluded.   I suspect if and when they can fill the ships with AI you won't see these again.    These rates are more attractive as they are available with choosing your cabin rather than GTY only like the previous Sail Only rates.

I also agree they should include tips in any pricing.

• Like 2

Curiosity got the best of me and I called about this yesterday. We always use a TA because of their great group rates and extra perks, but decided to check the pricing from this email. The email clearly states that the Cruise Only pricing doesn't apply to Suite and Aqua class. I asked about the pricing for Concierge. (We booked that only because the pricing from my TA was cheaper than booking a veranda).  I was told by a rep who clearly didn't read their own marketing materials that it was only applicable to Verandah and below and that they consider Concierge to be the beginning of "suite class," which is totally ridiculous. Oh well, their company their rules!

Considering other cruise lines are expanding their All Inclusive fare options, I would be surprised if Celebrity reversed directions and got rid of their AI.  Of Celebrity's two biggest competitors, Princess is adding a higher tier of their all inclusive pricing (that includes unlimited photos and specialty dining) and Holland offers a Have it All rate.

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

Oh well, their company their rules!

They should read their rules.  They are pretty clear.

*Prices are per person, cruise only, for stateroom category 12, select sailings and based on double occupancy. Cruise must be booked 05/5/2022 – 06/08/2022 (the “Offer Period”) and applies to 3-night and longer sailings departing 06/01/2022 - 04/30/2024, excluding Galapagos (the “Offer Cruise”). Promo code not required.

No Perk Rate: Cruise fare savings amounts are per person, and vary by sailing length. Sale is not combinable with Always Included. Offer is combinable with Airfare Offer, applicable to all guests in the same stateroom and will be automatically applied at checkout. Offer is applicable to inside, oceanview, veranda, and Concierge staterooms. Offer excludes Aqua and Retreat staterooms. Offer available as refundable and non-refundable offer.

1 hour ago, paulh84 said:

One of the blogs mentioned that previously when no perks rates were available they only accounted for 3% of bookings. 

If no perks bookings were only 3% of bookings why would they bother bringing that option back??

Unless they are losing bookings as some nondrinkers, or light drinkers see it as a deal breaker, and exploring other vacation options.

I suspect X is testing the waters to see if this does increase bookings.  Enough takers, they might keep some variation as an option going forward.  Since Asia is off the table, the European market is super-saturated with ships and not enough pax willing to risk a flight.

• Like 6

It would be interesting to see what the price difference is on a 14 day cruise 

I could phone in but I hate wasting time unnecessarily, I do that here already 😄

is it $50 a day or $125 a day 

Wi-Fi I can live without , 90 min from elite is enough , and 3 drinks a happy hour and elite breakfast for a cappuccino makes me happy 

I do like the Diamond perk on RCL were it is 4 drinks a day 

Gratuities are what $14.50 a day 

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer

50 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

If no perks bookings were only 3% of bookings why would they bother bringing that option back??

Unless they are losing bookings as some nondrinkers, or light drinkers see it as a deal breaker, and exploring other vacation options.

The same approach NCL takes. Entice with the low base rate then realize for a "little" more you can get a lot more value and book the higher rate with more included. Which also explains recent drink package increases. $84 in value on paper looks better than $69 if you are deciding between the two choices. Also a similar approach booking an A1 versus an S2 or S3 cabin. You pay more but you get quite a bit more in return. The incremental price is similar enough to give most people pause to consider booking the suite. 

AI has worked out great for them, 1.5 years in and we still talk about "AI" on here daily.  Cruise only rates are a win for marketing because they can advertise $399.  Cruise only rates have been around for a while then coincidently instantly disappeared right someone created a thread on here that they couldn't receive free drinks at the Retreat.  Now cruise only rates are back, again coincidently, suites excluded.

What X should consider doing is allow suite guests to exchange their drink package or wifi for an OBC

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

It would be interesting to see what the price difference is on a 14 day cruise 

I could phone in but I hate wasting time unnecessarily, I do that here already 😄

is it $50 a day or $125 a day 

Wi-Fi I can live without , 90 min from elite is enough , and 3 drinks a happy hour and elite breakfast for a cappuccino makes me happy 

I do like the Diamond perk on RCL were it is 4 drinks a day 

Gratuities are what $14.50 a day 

Depends on length of cruise and category.  C1 on Constellation, 12-night, Nov 2023.  No perks $4368, AI $5368.  I opted for no perks.

Edit:  C1 gratuities $192 ($16/day).

Edited by goofysmom99

Even if not many people actually book cruise only, it does have the advantages in advertising others have mentioned.  Also, it will have great appeal for solo travelers, and Zenith members who get the drinks and WiFi through the loyalty program.

For others, Celebrity isn't stupid.  They simply price the No Perks at a point that the difference is barely more than the cost of gratuities, and most will prefer to keep AI. 

A group of us are traveling.  For two the total fare came out to about $2400.00 for AI.  If they had gone No Perks it would have been about $1500.00.  Grats alone come out to $248.00, It doesn't take uch convincing to make the WiFi and Drinks to seem worth $325.00 per person. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Depends on length of cruise and category.  C1 on Constellation, 12-night, Nov 2023.  No perks $4368, AI $5368.  I opted for no perks.

Edit:  C1 gratuities $192 ($16/day).

For two people?  

I think Celebrity would do better with this 'Promotion' if they actually show the fares on the website, rather than the requirement to telephone. I would like to see the prices in black and white to enable me to calculate how each itinerary would work for me when I add any extras I want, if any. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laslomas said:

I think Celebrity would do better with this 'Promotion' if they actually show the fares on the website, rather than the requirement to telephone. I would like to see the prices in black and white to enable me to calculate how each itinerary would work for me when I add any extras I want, if any. 

Totally agree!

Someone mentioned on another thread that the No Perks rates could be seen on a certain airline's website but I've yet to find it...

2 hours ago, laslomas said:

You're right of course, but you can see Celebrity's impossible position by reading past posts here on Cruise Critic.

When they post the No Perk fares on the websites many accused Celebrity of duplicity since not all fares were Always Included.  Then several people booked the lower fare, and then claimed they were never advised their booking didn't include perks. 

By forcing the customer to call, Celebrity will have a definitive record the customer was advised their booking did not include the perks.

As is so often the case, we (customers) are our own worst enemies.

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 2

3 hours ago, laslomas said:

While it may take upwards of 15 minutes, can you not back into the price, generally, as we know what the daily pricing is gratuities, internet and beverage package? Or is there something which I have not considered in the calculation which you are seeking?

bon voyage

So....this thread made me curious and I called for the cruise only rate to inquire about the cruise only cost for an upcoming cruise. We had a concierge cabin booked through our TA (only booked it because our TA had a group rate for it that was less than the cost for a verandah). Our TA group rate included all the perks as well as 10% back in the form of refundable OBC, and additional $100 OBC because we booked it during one of their sales, and a loyalty credit also OBC-R. First call to X the agent told me Concierge and above didn't qualify for cruise only fare. The email clearly says only Aqua and Suite classes don't qualify. Second call got an agent who knew the rules and quoted me a price that was $55 pp less than our TA group rate that included what was listed above.  

5 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

They make way more money off the package deals, but I think it's nothing more than giving customers the option to not prepay for the included items. 

They had this option all the while until AI was put into effect. Now they are back peddling some. I wonder if enough people stopped booking rather than pay for something they don’t want or need?