What would you bring in a "Covid Kit"?

pauon

3 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

Pulse oximeter.  They’re small and easy to use - we’ve had one here at the house since the beginning of the pandemic.  

Very important if you have Covid.  I would also add Mucinex to all the other lists and definitely Puffs Plus.

Edited by mbglib
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you, I really like your list. You may want to add an expectorant cough syrup to that. That’s the first thing that the ER prescribed to me but you can get them over the counter too.

Great idea, thank you.  I thought I had everything covered in my little medicine kit but was obviously missing that one.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

What I'm carrying on:

> ihealth covid test (will report if positive)

> wine 

> butter crackers from Trader Joe's

> Tylenol (I can skip multi vitamin if nec)

> cards

> sudoku book just in case i lose wifi

> flowers in case I sequester

Getting from ship on embarkation day:

> sealed yogurts

> asst fruit

> orange herbal tea bags

> cookies

> 3 extra key lime desserts 

Great idea on the herbal tea bags.  I will have to remember that one.  

• Like 1

All cold medications contain one or more of the following ingredients:

- Fever reducer/pain reliever (such as Tylenol or ibuprofen or Motrin)

- Decongestant (such as Sudafed)

- Expectorant (Guafinisin)

- Cough suppressant (Dextramathorphan)

- Antihistamine (such as Benadryl) 

Instead of using the compounded formulas (ie Nyquil), we only use these products, in whichever combination we need. No sense in taking a product with an antihistamine or fever reducer if we don’t need them. 

For travel, we take all these things except we cut down on one medication by taking a generic Mucinex DM (which contains guafinisin and dextramathorohan). This is probably the single most important medication for a vaccinated and boosted person who tests positive for COVID. Sams Club has a large generic package for a fraction of the cost of Mucinex DM. 

I would also pack at least two weeks extra prescription meds, numbing throat lozenges, a decongestant nasal spray (don’t use for longer than 3 days) and Puffs Plus.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

All cold medications contain one or more of the following ingredients:

- Fever reducer/pain reliever (such as Tylenol or ibuprofen or Motrin)

- Decongestant (such as Sudafed)

- Expectorant (Guafinisin)

- Cough suppressant (Dextramathorphan)

- Antihistamine (such as Benadryl) 

Instead of using the compounded formulas (ie Nyquil), we only use these products, in whichever combination we need. No sense in taking a product with an antihistamine or fever reducer if we don’t need them. 

For travel, we take all these things except we cut down on one medication by taking a generic Mucinex DM (which contains guafinisin and dextramathorohan). This is probably the single most important medication for a vaccinated and boosted person who tests positive for COVID. Sams Club has a large generic package for a fraction of the cost of Mucinex DM. 

I would also pack at least two weeks extra prescription meds, numbing throat lozenges, a decongestant nasal spray (don’t use for longer than 3 days) and Puffs Plus.  

So, you’re saying you only take 1 med, the generic Mucinex DM?  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I’m saying I would take all of the meds I listed, but the Mucinex DM covers two of them, and to save a little space, that’s what we travel with (most DM is a liquid cough syrup, which is difficult to pack and use). I would not take multiple compounded cold medications such as Theraflu and NyQuil.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

It's not that unusual to take 1 or no meds (generic vitamin pill not inc)

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

That would work for me but my wife can't take dextramathrohan. She has restless leg syndrome and that stuff really sets her legs off. Likewise, she can't take antihistimines such as Benedryl for the same reason. However, I checked and Mucinex (without the D or DM on the end) seems to be only  guaifenesin so that is what we will be purchasing. We'll just keep it on hand at home.

We just got back from a 12 day cruise and we took cold meds and an extra 2 weeks of meds in case of quarantine. We're looking at a B2B2B in Australia and New Zealand for fall (spring in Australia) of 2023 and will be certain to take along the Mucinex. I'm glad this thread mentioned it as that is what caused me to look into finding an expectorant that didn't contain ingredients my wife can't tolerate.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I’m saying I would take all of the meds I listed, but the Mucinex DM covers two of them, and to save a little space, that’s what we travel with (most DM is a liquid cough syrup, which is difficult to pack and use). I would not take multiple compounded cold medications such as Theraflu and NyQuil.

Got it!  Thanks!

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Great idea, thank you.  I thought I had everything covered in my little medicine kit but was obviously missing that one.  

You’re welcome. I know I will never leave that behind now that I have had Covid… It was rough.  I’m going to screenshot your list because it was really good. 😊

2 hours ago, Wulfwyn said:

Just did a 3rd cruise.  What's in my tool box is vitamins and mask.  But I also make sure I bring this along.  

20220522_192911.jpg

I can find Cofix but not in a package like you're showing here. Where'd you get that?

About the masks---

Bring N95.

Many will bring KN95, but many of these are counterfeit and thus cannot be assumed to be effective.

We asked one of our doctors who was wearing a KN95 in his office if his mask was legitimate or counterfeit. He said he had no idea and no way of checking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

You’re welcome. I know I will never leave that behind now that I have had Covid… It was rough.  I’m going to screenshot your list because it was really good. 😊

I’m really glad you are better now. Some on here say its like a little cold, while others get really sick from it. Others suffer long covid.  It’s nothing to make light of and no one knows how others suffer.  Some forget about the poor woman on Carnival who died from covid last July after the restart. 
Take care!

• Like 2

I had a kit ready for our Hawaii cruise in early March 2020 when we first heard about Covid, which obviously never materialised, throat lozenges, paracetamol, ibuprofen, cold and flu tablets etc as well as sea sickness tablets in case crossing the Pacific was rough weather. Unfortunately most of these items have passed their use by date now. I am still going to take the sea sickness tablets on our next cruises ( first ones due this year since Covid) out of date or not I’m sure they will have some effect.  

Edited by amajaa
  • Like 1

In addition I bring Gatorade packets.  When you are sick and don't feel like eating much these help keep your electrolytes up.  When I had covid I had all the usual symptoms plus the stomach issues (nausea,vomiting, diarrhea) the Gatorade really helped.  It also helps with norovirus, food poisoning etc.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Awe ... thank you!! 

BTW, I just had to cancel a really awesome cruise that set sail yesterday with a group of friends because, yes, I contracted CoVid and have it as I type this message.  After 10 infection free cruises since the restart, I got this at home ... not from or on a ship.  I am grateful it hit me when it did, even though I am heartbroken about missing this sailing.  I would have felt horrible if I brought it onto a cruiseship and share it with anybody else.  The last few days have been rough for me, too but today, I woke up feeling much better.  I'm headed down to get retested today and if negative, I'm sanitizing this entire CoVid ward today (our bedroom) as I am starting to get my sense of smell back and it isn't pleasant in here at all.  LOL

• Like 3

Well, since my wife and I have had COVID twice with no symptoms, I'll leave the extra meds at home and bring a few things for entertainment...plus pay the small fee for extra bottles of red liquid  medication...and the cork screw to get to it!!  Do like the laptop idea, too! 

• Like 2

I have had chronic rhinitis and multiple sinus infections since childhood thanks to growing up in a smoking household.  About 20 years ago I discovered nasal irrigation, thank you Dr. Oz!  It has been a miracle in my life, I use it daily. 

When cruising, I order distilled water in advance so that it is waiting for me in our cabin.  I use it twice a day.

• Like 4