Deceased spouse - "no show"

We had a family cruise planned and months before the cruise my husband lost his 17 year battle with brain cancer. I left the booking as iti was.  His drink package and port fees and taxes were reimbursed quickly.

So sorry for your loss 💔 

Edited by PhoenixCruiser
Typo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, molly361 said:

Sorry for your loss. I lost my husband 6 months ago tomorrow.  I'm still a work in progress on sailing solo.  I would just let her be a no show  You don't have to check her in  Like Treeskier said if you are not comfortable leaving her on you can change the name to someone or anyone else

Sorry for both your losses.

Molly, loved chatting with him when on the Oasis. Hope to see you on a future cruise.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

We had a family cruise planned and months before the cruise my husband lost his 17 year battle with brain cancer. I left the booking as iti was.  His drink package and port fees and taxes were reimbursed quickly.

So sorry for your loss 💔 

Oh Phoenix. I am so sorry for you. That is really sad to hear. 💔

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

I didn't get the credit  I have had my eye out for it

During the pandemic in 2020, it took about 2-3 months for the T&F and tours to be credited to my cc.

Looking forward, I received cc refunds on April 25 for my kids Easter Anthem sail, that was cancelled when the H&S protocols were announced at the 30 day mark.

14 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

No show is the easiest course of action.

This seems the best way to go to me. You get the taxes and fees back this way as well.  It just happens a few days after the cruise.  The only real question is about the online checkin and if it needs to happen.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1

I've done the no show thing before, on purpose.  Multiple times because it always seems to increase the price (as you've found out). You do not have to check them in. You will get port fees/taxes/gratuities refunded back to you.  If you have to book a package for them (drink/key) that will also be refunded back to you.

I'm truly sorry for your loss, and I had to stop reading the thread with how many people have lost a loved one recently.  It breaks my heart.  May you all find peace and comfort.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

This seems the best way to go to me. You get the taxes and fees back this way as well.  It just happens a few days after the cruise.  The only real question is about the online checkin and if it needs to happen.

I'm the only one checked in for Indy in June. Ellen never checked in for the cruise Laura took in April. Well, I don't think she did🤣🤣

Good morning.  Just got off the phone with travel agent and inquired about removing wife from booking.  She had no hesitation in stating that I could remove her from without triggering a re fare.  After talking further, decided not do to this yet, just in case I decide to add someone else (have until late July for final payment).  We did not engage Royal on the call.

It may seem odd, and its primarily emotional, but I would be more comfortable removing her from the booking.  I guess I'm concerned about questions that may come up, or things showing up in the cabin with her name.

Thanks again for all the feed back and support.

Dustin

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm the only one checked in for Indy in June. Ellen never checked in for the cruise Laura took in April. Well, I don't think she did🤣🤣

She didn't check in

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, DandDM said:

Good morning.  Just got off the phone with travel agent and inquired about removing wife from booking.  She had no hesitation in stating that I could remove her from without triggering a re fare.  After talking further, decided not do to this yet, just in case I decide to add someone else (have until late July for final payment).  We did not engage Royal on the call.

It may seem odd, and its primarily emotional, but I would be more comfortable removing her from the booking.  I guess I'm concerned about questions that may come up, or things showing up in the cabin with her name.

Thanks again for all the feed back and support.

Dustin

The first cruise I took after Dan died when I was having dinner the waiter asked me why I was dining alone.  So I told him and then starting crying.  Bet he doesn't do that again😇

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Thanks for that I just wasn't sure. I knew you could check in one and not the other but I wasn't sure if there would be any ramifications for the checked in party as you got closer to embarkation.  That being the case, the OP should just checkin himself and leave the rest alone.

My husband died in March and I have my first cruise without him next month. I did not take him off yet but I don’t want to have to tell people he is a no show. Like Molly I will probably cry saying the words. I may put my sister on the reservation so it will be easier. 

• Like 7

I am going on a cruise this weekend that we booked 8 months ago. My mom and dad had their own cabin. She passed away 2 months ago and my travel agent removed her from the booking. My niece is also booked and she did a single cabin. When the removed my mom, my dad's cabin cost the was the same as my niece. Niece was $250 less than a double occupancy cabin. 

On 5/25/2022 at 9:11 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

Good to know.    Curious, Then why do people do no shows instead of just cancelling the 2nd passenger from the sailing?

I think the main reason I've seen for people doing no-shows is because they are three people in a room, and removing the third person would cause them to get relocated to a double-occupancy room that isn't in their desired location.  I think certain hump and aft rooms on certain ships are only available for triple/quad occupancy.  

In that case, because that specific room is what is desired, rather than cost savings, they continue to pay for the third person as a no-show in order to remain eligible for that particular room.  I've also heard of people booking a fake third person into the room at the time of the original booking, just to be able to have their desired room location with only two people in the room. 

• Thanks 2

Deepest sympathy on your loss.

My husband passed away suddenly and we had a cruise planned in approximately 6 months.  

I decided to go on the trip.  When I called RC to cancel his reservation and switch to a solo trip, they were exceedingly kind and compassionate.  I did speak with the Crown and Anchor representative, not the general number.  I was prepared to send a copy of the death certificate, but he said no need - he found the obituary on line.  

I assumed the reservation would be more expensive - the agent said no. He canceled my husband, refunded all monies, and left my price as it had been with no solo charge. He even gave me my husband’s military discount. 

Needless to say, I was very grateful. I went on the cruise solo, and have cruised solo since then. One reason that I am “loyal to Royal.”  They were very kind and compassionate. This was 8 years ago. 

• Like 6

Hello,

I too lost my husband and wanted to keep my room and the booking.  RCCL had no problem with it. They took my Husband name off and gave me the taxes back in ship board credit. everything else stay the same.

They understand this happen some times and are happy to help. Just give them a call

everything will be find.

I wish you the best.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 7:11 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Nope.  the .001% is correct.

They would not be repriced.  Only if you change cabin categories would you be repriced.

Previous post addresses this issue better than my post. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

Once again, I really thank everyone for the nice thoughts, encouraging stories, and advice!

Quick update - although I had said that I'd wait until closer to final payment to make the change (in case I decided to add someone to the reservation), it was bugging me so decided to get it handled now.

Called my big box TA, and initially there was some concern that her portion of the non-refundable deposit would be forfeit, but Royal agreed to 'waive' that (not totally convinced that a waiver was required, but...).  Was told that all else would stay the same so I authorized them to make the change.  However, when reviewing the final terms over the phone, they referenced $250 OBC instead of the $550 on the old booking.  Another call from TA to Royal, and after being on the call for two hours (total) the rep I was working with had a technology meltdown, so now waiting for a call back on a resolution.

Regarding OBC, originally reserved the cruise on board, and got $300 obc for that.  The original confirmation shows that as $150 for pax 1 and $150 for pax 2...so concerned now I might lose the $150, but that still doesn't explain the rest! (another $200 was for having to move the original cruise date due to a cancelation, and not sure where I picked up the $50...).

Will update when resolved.

Thanks,

TA got it fixed; now I have the reservation under my name only at the same price and perks as original booking, with only the second set of port fees removed.  

Without CC, would not have known I could do this!

Thanks again.  

• Like 9

@DandDM thank you for posting the results. I'm sorry for your loss and hope that when you do sail, you will reflect on the happy memories you have of traveling with your wife while making new friends and memories.  And like you, there's so much I would not know and miss out on without the experiened CC members!